• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do America's police need an armored tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
110306-ArmoredTankLedePhoto-hmed-0120p.grid-6x2.jpg

110306-ArmoredTankTWOPhoto-hmed-0115p.grid-6x2.jpg

Why do America's police need an armored tank?

America's most in-demand police vehicle is a 10-officer 16,000-pound armored tank that takes bullets like Superman and drives 80 mph. The federal government buys dozens each year for local police departments. Do America's local police need tanks?

Every day, America produces a fresh batch of barricaded gunmen, some of whom want to lure police into a shootout. Roughly 50 police officers are killed every year, most in shootings, and many during arrests or ambushes.

Which is where the Lenco BearCat G3 rolls in.

"If somebody looks out and sees a Ford Crown Victoria sitting out there, they may not take you very seriously," Warren County, Va., Sheriff Daniel T. McEathron told a local newspaper in October, "but if they look out the window and see this thing sitting there, they're going to know you're serious."

The BearCat G3 claims the vast majority of armored personnel carrier sales to SWAT teams in the United States. Fashioned from a Ford F-550 commercial truck chassis, Massachusetts-based Lenco builds about 200 such vehicles in year, in grades from "VIP SUV" to combat-ready with gun turrets. The massive roller is actually a smaller version of the BEAR, or Ballistic Engineered Armored Response vehicle, which Lenco builds for armies and law enforcement agencies around the world.

Anytime there's a public shooting or standoff in an urban area, chances are a BearCat will be on the scene. It has option controls for battering rams, winches and even surviving a chemical weapons attack. With military-grade armor and the ability to take repeated hits from bullets up to .50 caliber, it's most frequently used as a rolling shield.

Last October, a gunman outside of Tyler, Texas, shot and killed his neighbor. When police arrived at his home, he unloaded at least 35 rounds from an AK-47 into a newly bought Lenco BearCat from close range. A police sniper killed the gunman; no one else was injured, and no bullets penetrated the BearCat.

The family-owned company had its start building armored bank trucks, but switched to security in the early '90s, offering an alternative to the surplus military vehicles larger police departments had used. Early purchases by the Los Angeles Police Department, along with the swelling number of the nation's 3,000 local police forces forming their own SWAT teams, gave Lenco a booming opportunity.

The other reason for its popularity? Thanks to the U.S. government, most police departments now get their BearCats free.

In the wake of Sept. 11, Congress and Presidents Bush and Obama dramatically boosted Homeland Security spending; the Department of Homeland Security now hands out more than $3 billion a year in grants to boost anti-terrorism tools around the country. The Lenco BearCat — which starts at about $190,000 and can top $300,000 with options — can easily qualify as a necessary tool under several different grant programs, from disaster response to crime fighting.
But does every police force with a SWAT team need a BearCat? Law enforcement officials have no shortage of cases such as the Tyler shootings to show how a BearCat protected officers where other vehicles might not, although some have suggested the BearCats have become status symbols among smaller agencies.

Other criminal justice experts have questioned whether police need minitanks, saying they're often used for mundane tasks such as serving warrants, and create a sense of police as military soldiers rather than neighbors. They also contend that BearCats and other SWAT machinery do little to prevent violent crimes, which have fallen steadily for a decade.

"It's all an illusion," said Jim Fisher, a former professor of criminal justice at Edinboro University and author of a book on SWAT teams. "The fact your police department just bought an armored vehicle does not make you safer. It's going to make you poorer, because your taxes will go up to pay for training and maintenance." In light of today's budget-strapped environments, we, too, wonder whether the federal government should be paying for small counties and towns to have tanks to use against their citizens.

Law enforcers don't see much to those criticisms. Lou Vallejo, the sheriff of Garfield County, Colo., felt compelled to explain the arrival of a BearCat for his department last July, which serves a population of about 75,000, citing two cases where officers were shot on duty.

"In the world of law enforcement, we must also be prepared for the highly unlikely, but possible tragic event," Vallejo wrote in an open letter, "and there is no price tag you can put on the life of a police officer who is out there protecting you."

And how can you argue with that?

On the one hand I can see where you'd want something like this when you're going up against a barricaded suspect with an AK-47...but on the other hand, give the police a new toy and they will find reasons to play with it. Anyone remember Dateline NBC when the local cops used a guy in a ghillie suit "To Catch A Predator?"

And unfortunately, you really do have to put a price on the life of a police officer, the "spend any amount of money if it saves just one life" argument is specious.

Zwei

What, you never played the Xbox game, Crackdown? It's an accurate depiction of what American streets are like. We definitely need these armored vehicles.

the militarization of police forces is one of the greatest setbacks in civil liberties we've had in this country. No knock raids in full combat gear on the wrong house are awesome....

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
190k-300k is a lot cheaper than I would have imagined for a vehicle like that...

I figured with government bloat it'd be easily a million a piece.

LQX

I thought they were only for SWAT units and not regular police? I would think SWAT units all over the world use armored vehicles.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Coming from a country where cops don't even have guns, this is fairly... intriguing.

We don't need them. But the answer to why they exist is posted in the OP.

The other reason for its popularity? Thanks to the U.S. government, most police departments now get their BearCats free.

In the wake of Sept. 11, Congress and Presidents Bush and Obama dramatically boosted Homeland Security spending; the Department of Homeland Security now hands out more than $3 billion a year in grants to boost anti-terrorism tools around the country. The Lenco BearCat — which starts at about $190,000 and can top $300,000 with options — can easily qualify as a necessary tool under several different grant programs, from disaster response to crime fighting.
Wasteful scaredy-cat paranoid military-industrial-complex spending.

only SWAT would ever use that, and even then it would be extremely rare...still think lethal ammo shouldnt be carried by most cops, but we've seen how irresponsible they are with tazers so maybe rubber bullets would be an even worse idea

in short, fuck the police

totowhoa

Banned
Pretty unnecessary. I could be totally wrong about this, but I imagine the reason this guy wielding an AK-47 got all up close and personal with his weapon was due to the fact that the police knew they'd be okay (not that they were looking to damage their new "tank" in any way, but that I would imagine that different measures would have been taken if they were using standard police equipment).

Really wish they would start arming the standard police with rubber bullets and the like instead of live ammo (which does have its place, like this tank does for certain rare situations).

industrian said:
Coming from a country where cops don't even have guns, this is fairly... intriguing.

Can't remember where you're from (Scotland, I think)... and I avoid GAF gun threads and other similar topics due to the hopelessness of every thread, so excuse my ignorance as I'm in the U.S. But, do many European countries that ban guns allow police to carry guns that fire non-lethal rounds?

racooon

Banned
CrazyDude said:
Well, I am betting your citizens don't have guns either.
Uh, there aren't any countries in the world where you can't legally own guns to some extent, to my knowledge. Maybe except the vatican.
Brit reporting.

Also, am I the only person to have seen Elite Squad 2? Those things are necessary occasionally.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I do think the story they gave made the vehicle sound unnecessary. The guy was shooting the vehicle but was ultimately taken down by the sniper. Sounds more like an endorsement for more snipers.

totowhoa

Banned
Dechaios said:
So the country can declare martial law, duh.

Alex_Jones.jpg

Hex said:
We just has funerals for three officers that were shot here in St Petersburg and I am pretty sure that since then there was another one.
In 2011 alone already there have been 15 officers killed by gunfire in the US.

While this is really quite sad, it's the context of the deaths that would defend the use of this tank, though. (Edit 2: Along with other things, of course... these things are pricey for sure).

Hex

Banned
We just has funerals for three officers that were shot here in St Petersburg and I am pretty sure that since then there was another one.
In 2011 alone already there have been 15 officers killed by gunfire in the US.

Drensch

These are probably only necessary for larger departments. Bearcats are usually used in barricades. They ferry citizens, ps, and ems away from the hot zones. They also allow Swat to close in on armed suspects. In an armed barricade, it is very important that you control the egress and ingress of persons in and out of the hot zone. You cannot allow the armed susp to ever get mobile. It increases the danger to everyone by a huge factor.

The easiest way to illustrate the importance of a vehicle like this is the video of that California shootout a few years ago. Regular officers were sitting ducks.

The cop may feel intimidating /in/ the tank. But once he is out of the tank, he is just as vulnerable as he was before.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Sklorenz said:
Can't remember where you're from (Scotland, I think)... and I avoid GAF gun threads and other similar topics due to the hopelessness of every thread, so excuse my ignorance as I'm in the U.S. But, do many European countries that ban guns allow police to carry guns that fire non-lethal rounds?

Correct, ScotGAF here.

Police only carry guns here if there's a terrorist threat (Glasgow's subway had a threat against it in late 2002 leading to all the cops in Glasgow carrying MP5s for a while) or they're protecting something important (parliament, etc).

Because of our police not carrying guns, I get nervous when I see cops with guns in other countries. I live in Taiwan and the cops doing traffic duties on a road (fairly large road into Taipei) near my apartment are all packing M16s.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
racooon said:
There are firearms officers for that.
Why not give police better protection? Especially in areas where gangs and drug cartels are armed to the teeth?

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Scarecrow said:
"What about escalation?"
http://www.american-buddha.com/abatman381c.jpg[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.elementwheels.com/prodimages/dubescalade.jpg

too late they already ghost riding the escalade whip

Vilix said:
Why not give police better protection? Especially in areas where gangs and drug cartels are armed to the teeth?
Ya it doesn't make any sense to me. Just an easier way for a cop to get surrounded and beat to death. At least let them carry pistols.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
DUFFMCWALIN said:
Ya it doesn't make any sense to me. Just an easier way for a cop to get surrounded and beat to death. At least let them carry pistols.
True. One would hope that tactical S.W.A.T. training doesn't allow for that. Like in any type of maneuver of an armed force armored vehicles are usually supported by armed men on foot. But we've seen time and time again when armored police riot vehicle have been overrun and destroyed by mobs.

My guess is that this will be used for incursion of small and medium size dwellings occupied by highly armed individuals.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm watching season 7 of The Shield...if tv has taught me anything it's that these babies should be standard issue.

Hex

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
This vehicle wouldn't have made any difference in any of those shootings.

No, but there are more and more fuckwits out there running around preaching cop hate stupidity out of their asses and there are far too many little up and coming shits with no brains and no educations but oddly enough the ability to get their hands on fire arms with their god given right as americans.

totowhoa

Banned
Hex said:
No, but there are more and more fuckwits out there running around preaching cop hate stupidity out of their asses and there are far too many little up and coming shits with no brains and no educations but oddly enough the ability to get their hands on fire arms with their god given right as americans.

I hardly think this "tank" being singly manufactured and distributed to metropolitan police forces is any kind of solution to this problem, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom