• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Pooya

Eurogamer

Digital Foundry said:
Microsoft is ramping up development of its next generation Xbox console according to job positions being advertised on business networking site LinkedIn, brought to light on the Beyond 3D Forum.

The first position advertised is for a Graphics Hardware Architect, working with the team that is "responsible for defining and delivering next-generation console architectures from conception through implementation".

"The responsibilities include architecture analysis, key technology selection, architecture specification, communication and collaboration with extended Microsoft teams and partner companies," according to the advert.

Microsoft's preferred person for the position has been involved in the creation of graphics hardware and is familiar with the concepts of design, production yields and cost analysis, and at the same time is aware of how the hardware interfaces with PC and console operating systems.

"The ideal candidate will have been the lead architect and/or implementation lead of a 3D graphics core. The candidate must have taken designs from investigation to end-customer shipment during their career."

The second position has Microsoft hunting for a new Senior Architect and Performance Engineer for the Xbox Console Architecture Group.

"Our group is involved in product definition from early evaluation all the way through high volume manufacturing," the LinkedIn ad read.

"The main focus of this position is on performance evaluation and modelling. However, involvement in all aspects of product development regularly occurs. We are looking for someone who is flexible, and wants to be involved with various stages of the product life cycle. During different stages of the product life cycle responsibilities will vary."

The final position sees Microsoft seeking a Senior Hardware Design Verification Engineer, responsible for elements of development in both Xbox 360 and its next-gen successor.

"You will be responsible for the design verification and qualification of the Xbox console at the component, motherboard, and system levels," according to the platform holder.

"You will lead test strategy discussions, develop test methodologies and plans and project-manage qualification cycles."

So, what does this recruitment drive actually tell us? Are there any clues as to the make-up of the next console? Right now, not much, but it does appear to be the first official confirmation that development of the new machine is underway.

However, the most intriguing element of the story is just how early on in production we appear to be - far earlier than many had suspected. Unless Microsoft is actually planning pre-production of the next next-gen console, the evidence seems to suggest that the system is so early in development that the graphics hardware at the very least hasn't been locked down.

Original Source, AlStrong/B3D
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1532394&postcount=5253
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1532381&postcount=5251

I'm a little surprised their only hiring for next gen now. I would have thought they'd be further along in their development.

edit - the article says the same thing.

FoneBone

However, the most intriguing element of the story is just how early on in production we appear to be - far earlier than many had suspected. Unless Microsoft is actually planning pre-production of the next next-gen console, the evidence seems to suggest that the system is so early in development that the graphics hardware at the very least hasn't been locked down.

Eh, anyone thinking anything before 2013 was realistic was deluding themselves. Kinect should've made that obvious.

DuckRacer

So... fall 2014?

MechDX

J-Allard.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PopcornMegaphone said:
I'm a little surprised their only hiring for next gen now. I would have thought they'd be further along in their development.
About three years out would be fairly normal in terms of starting, which would fit with a Fall 2013 release date.

I don't think many people were expecting a console sooner than that, but I could be wrong.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FoneBone said:
Eh, anyone thinking anything before 2013 was realistic was deluding themselves. Kinect should've made that obvious.
I kinda always thought they had next gen planned out for 2012 in case Kinect was a failure. Huh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
chubigans said:
I kinda always thought they had next gen planned out for 2012 in case Kinect was a failure. Huh.
I think we know too many 2012 current gen games for that to really be possible.

For consoles these complex, developers need a very early indication that they're coming, and I think the reason we saw so much tech pushing at GDC this year is that developers were informed a little while back that the console makers were starting.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nirolak said:
Well I figured those could get the upscale ports to Xbox 720 like we saw early in the 360s life. Seeing how being first out the door worked so well for MS before, I just thought they'd want another running start again.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Spring 2014 or fall 2013 indeed.

So, we have 2-3 years of awesomness left. I don't think I'll upgrade my 6950 during this time. May be sell it for Nvidia one if there will be a lot of games with heavy tesselation.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Fall 2013 seems more and more likely then.
Finally, I love this whole speculation time before the launch of a new generation of consoles. Bring on the specs wars :)

[Nintex]

Epic was already doing pre-production work on a next-gen game. I'm still calling 2012 at the earliest and 2013 at the latest. I don't agree with Eurogamers conclusion. In fact they probably need more staff because they're ramping up the development.

Rham

Banned
So what type of control scheme will this new Xbox use? Kinect only? Or Kinect and a nunchuk-like controller?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
chubigans said:
Well I figured those could get the upscale ports to Xbox 720 like we saw early in the 360s life. Seeing how being first out the door worked so well for MS before, I just thought they'd want another running start again.
Whoops, you beat my stealth edit.

But yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. That would have been my guess too until fairly recently.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nirolak said:
Whoops, you beat my stealth edit.

But yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. That would have been my guess too until fairly recently.
edited! :)

What I'm really intrigued about is how Nintendo's going to play their cards. I have no idea what they're going to do or what they should do at this point for a successor to the Wii.

subversus

chubigans said:
What I'm really intrigued about is how Nintendo's going to play their cards. I have no idea what they're going to do or what they should do at this point for a successor to the Wii.

3 (three!!) Gamecubes taped together this time.

KingJ2002

Blimblim said:
Fall 2013 seems more and more likely then.
Finally, I love this whole speculation time before the launch of a new generation of consoles. Bring on the specs wars :)

same here.

and i also agree that 2013 is more than likely the launch date for a next gen xbox / playstation.

i'm no so certain about the wii though.

honestly... all nintendo needs to do is release an HD version of the wii to stay relevant for another 2 years.

Nirolak said:

For consoles these complex, developers need a very early indication that they're coming, and I think the reason we saw so much tech pushing at GDC this year is that developers were informed a little while back that the console makers were starting.

My question is why is MS seeking candidates for these positions now? What happened to the previous team involved with the xbox360 other than J Allard who is no longer with MS?

November 2013. Bank on it.

The console will probably come bundled with a 360 controller (almost completely unchanged) and an enhanced Kinect as standard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
chubigans said:
edited! :)

Normally I would say that having something capable of multiplatform titles would help, but then again, that wasn't helpful during the GameCube era and the 3DS seems to be getting nigh zero Western third party support despite being the successor to an extremely successful platform, so I'm not sure if there's much reason for them to not just push on with their first party line-up with a highly profitable machine and hope for the best.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MalboroRed said:
My question is why is MS seeking candidates for these positions now? What happened to the previous team involved with the xbox360 other than J Allard who is no longer with MS?
Well, after the RROD scandal that came about from their engineering... I imagine fired. :p

[Nintex]

MalboroRed said:
Rare had a huge part to play during the Xbox 360 launch. Not only with games but also with the development of early development code, engines and libraries as well as helping out with first gen Xbox 360 titles (Halo 3, Forza 2). At least that side of support for Redmond is gone.

KAL2006

Banned
Does this mean we should expect the next Xbox later because they are just hiring or do they usual make shit fast.

subversus

A console is usually made in 2-3 years, so we can start speculate on hardware more seriously.

To put it very rough we can expect 580 in smaller nm + some improvements in various DX11 features, like tesselation and so on. They can try Larrabee approach of course but I seriously doubt that.

What I DON'T WANT is emphasis on 3D.

PSGames

Nirolak said:
Normally I would say that having something capable of multiplatform titles would help, but then again, that wasn't helpful during the GameCube era and the 3DS seems to be getting nigh zero Western third party support despite being the successor to an extremely successful platform, so I'm not sure if there's much reason for them to not just push on with their first party line-up with a highly profitable machine and hope for the best.

True but what about launch time frames? Should Nintendo wait and launch alongside their competitors or launch a year earlier? I just don't see the Wii lasting another 3 years on the market.

Top Bottom