• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Curufinwe said:
I doubt they'll be able to get away with a 90-day warranty on the next Xbox.

90 day warranties were standard until the PS2 slim came out and then gave away one year. Since then, the one year has been standard. The 360 has had one year warranties for years now. I want to see a 3 year warranty on all new systems!!!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
subversus said:
A console is usually made in 2-3 years, so we can start speculate on hardware more seriously.

To put it very rough we can expect 580 in smaller nm + some improvements in various DX11 features, like tesselation and so on. They can try Larrabee approach of course but I seriously doubt that.

What I DON'T WANT is emphasis on 3D.
A three-year-old GPU? Look at their track record.
Xbox came out a month after the GeForce 3 Ti500 and five months before Geforce 4, yet had a GPU that ranked somewhere in-between.
360's GPU had a unified shader architecture before PC GPUs.
They got both onto shelves for <$300.

Emitan

subversus said:
may be.

May be they plan to get market share by agressive pricing.
May be they'll cut costs on something else.

it's too early to say.
Look at the Wii. Sold gangbusters using tech from last century. I'm not saying I just want a RAM upgrade or something, but I think the trend of a new console being a huge leap from it's previous version is dead.

Untracked

Suzzopher said:
I remember the E3 2005 announcement:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/rbach/05-16-05E3.mspx

Allard, Bach and Moore driving home the games, games, games message. Good times, those guys were so awesome :(
Yep I remember hearing something like "The age of the jaggies is over!".

I'm so ready for a new gen, sub-hd just doesn't do it for me anymore. I've tried getting into PC gaming but I miss my Live friends. The sooner this new console appears the better.
I'm still looking forward to some great games this year though.

The good old days. That "Blades" interface looks so dated now.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
chubigans said:
edited! :)

What I'm really intrigued about is how Nintendo's going to play their cards. I have no idea what they're going to do or what they should do at this point for a successor to the Wii.
Going to be something original (or underused) tech-wise for sure.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
camineet said:
2012 - Wii successor
2013 - Xbox3, PS4

you can almost count on it.

Absolutely. Nintendo is in prime position to jump out with a year headstart with inferior (compared to the next XBOX and PS) hardware yet providing the first HD upgrade for their console and possible 3D capabilities.

Then, MS and Sony come out with their powerful hardware. It works out for all three companies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Billychu said:
Look at the Wii. Sold gangbusters using tech from last century. I'm not saying I just want a RAM upgrade or something, but I think the trend of a new console being a huge leap from it's previous version is dead.

yes, that's why they won't put 2012-2013 GPU in it. Only modified 2010 one.

Donos

camineet said:
2012 - Wii successor
2013 - Xbox3, PS4

you can almost count on it.

i seriously think sony will ride the ps3 a little bit longer. a "slimmer than slim" revision 2012/2013 for $199 but no new console till 2014/2015

/armchairanalyst

Plinko said:
Absolutely. Nintendo is in prime position to jump out with a year headstart with inferior (compared to the next XBOX and PS) hardware yet providing the first HD upgrade for their console and possible 3D capabilities.

Then, MS and Sony come out with their powerful hardware. It works out for all three companies.

Nintendo will bring out a modern GPU, focussed on power consumption and head management. MS and Sony will do similar things. If there is a difference in power it will be that of PS2 vs GC, not another embarrassing generational gap.

camineet

Banned
Whatever GPU that AMD/ATI comes up with for Xbox3, it should be more powerful than the Radeon HD 6990, that is two Caman GPUs. As well as more powerful than three GTX 580s. It'll be able to run Unreal Engine 4.0 with ease and look better than the latest UE3 3.971 or whatever it is.

Both Xbox3 and PS4 will be huge leaps beyond 360/PS3 and the Wii's successor will be less powerful than Xbox3/PS4 but still better than 360/PS3. The gulf between Wii's successor and Xbox3/PS4 will be smaller than Wii vs 360/PS3. They'll all look like they're from the same generation. I expect 1-2 GB of RAM for Wii's successor and 4 GB for Xbox3/PS4. GDDR5/6 will be cheap. I just hope Sony uses Rambus TeraByte Initiative RAM. I also hope both Microsoft and Nintendo use lots of embedded memory, enough to handle a 1080p framebuffer.

knitoe

Billychu said:
Games are popular base on graphics and/or gameplay. Normally, graphics > gameplay, but Nintendo hit a homerun with a new gameplay, waggle. Thus, they were able to get away with much weaker graphics. Next gen, everyone will have motion control, and so unless they have another homerun control style, they better have similar graphics power to Microsoft & Sony's next console. And, if you look at Nintendo track record, they always uses the same control setup 2 gen in a row. So, I fully expect it to be like PS2, Xbox and GC era next gen.

Dennis

Banned
Billychu said:
Depending what you mean by huge I am not so sure.

The fact alone that the next Xbox comes out 8 (long fucking) years after the 360 guarantees a very big leap.

Besides, what is the point of the next xbox if not much better graphics? The next gen controller is already out (Kinect).

subversus

camineet said:
Whatever GPU that AMD/ATI comes up with for Xbox3, it should be more powerful than the Radeon HD 6990, that is two Caman GPUs.

oh c'mon.

camineet said:
Whatever GPU that AMD/ATI comes up with for Xbox3, it should be more powerful than the Radeon HD 6990, that is two Caman GPUs.

You really think that's going to happen? I don't see how that's possible, even if the system were to launch 2 years from now.

Next gen speculation. I feel like a teenager again just reading about Project Dural/Katana back in 97. What a wait that was.

Donos said:
i seriously think sony will ride the ps3 a little bit longer. a "slimmer than slim" revision 2012/2013 for $199 but no new console till 2014/2015

/armchairanalyst

Sony will launch within the same 3-6 month timeframe as x360. Not having a console out at the same time this gen hurt sooo bad.

Dennis

Banned
camineet said:
LOL, transistor count.

How are you going to power that thing? Have you looked up the wattage on two Caymans?

How are you going disipate all that heat from a tiny console?

camineet

Banned
nextgeneration said:
You really think that's going to happen? I don't see how that's possible, even if the system were to launch 2 years from now.

Yes. The Cayman GPU is 2010 technology. The Xbox 360's Xenos GPU was far more than twice as powerful as the highend GPU from 2003 (two years before 360 launched).

camineet

Banned
samus4ever said:
Next gen speculation. I feel like a teenager again just reading about Project Dural/Katana back in 97. What a wait that was.

Exactly. I was so hyped up for BlackBelt (3DFX-based) and then Dural/Katana (PowerVR-based) back in 1997. I got my Japanese Dreamcast April 1999, well before U.S. launch.

camineet

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
When was the 360 announced in relation to release?

I almost would guess an announcement at E3 next year for a 2014 release.

Xbox2 specs were revealed in spring or mid 2004 when the design documents were leaked.

subversus

DennisK4 said:
How are you going to power that thing?

nuclear-power.jpg

Oozer3993

Deadly Cyclone said:
When was the 360 announced in relation to release?

I almost would guess an announcement at E3 next year for a 2014 release.

Officially revealed in an MTV special in May '05. Released November '05.

camineet

Banned
AMD/ATI will probably be able to come up with a console-friendly GPU that beats Radeon HD 6990 in single precision floating point. I expect the same from Nvidia for PS4, with the Maxwell generation.

I really don't know what to expect except more beefed up graphics.

Hopefully they work on a better UI. As much as i like the NXE... it could be improved for the better. I hope they keep the controller, or allow people to use 360 controllers.

BR-drive perhaps? Proprietary media format?

All I want is something to easily run that purdy Unreal Engine 3 demo at 1080p 120fps (so 60fps for 3D) and that takes flashcards instead of optical drives. Flash cards have enough capacity and are fast enough that I don't see any need for an optical drive to be the main storage device for consoles. I have DVD and BluRay players, thanks. Make them an addon (like the HDDVD for the 360) for those who must have them.

Plinko said:

By announcing the next 3D Mario for 3DS and because of Retro hiring for more Wii games, Nintendo can't get a console out by 2012 without massive software issues at the beginning of its life (Something I think Nintendo would want to avoid considering that they have to support their systems by themselves)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DennisK4 said:
LOL, transistor count.

How are you going to power that thing? Have you looked up the wattage on two Caymans?

How are you going disipate all that heat from a tiny console?
The Cayman GPU is in a 40nm part. By Next year we will see a 28nm process. In 2013 we could see a 22nm process, which would be a huge upgrade in performance per watt. With a 22nm process, you could certainly fit 2 Cayman chip dies in 4/5ths of one single Cayman die using the 40nm process. These improvements in fabrication process along with optimizations in code, would make the Unreal Engine 3.975 easily achievable by consoles released in 2013.

camineet

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Fuck that shit, I want a DX12 card in my PS4. When should we expect those cards to be released, late '11? A late 12, mid 13 console release could be feasible with DX12.

Kepler GPUs should launch in late 2011 with DX11 or DX11.x
Maxwell GPUs should launch two years later in late 2013 with DX12.
PS4 should also launch fall 2013 using a Maxwell-generation GPU. It'll be DX12 equivalent using OpenGL 4.x or something.

camineet

Banned
godhandiscen said:
The Cayman GPU is in a 40nm part. By Next year we will see a 28nm process. In 2013 we could see a 22nm process, which would be a huge upgrade in performance per watt. With a 22nm process, you could certainly fit 2 Cayman chip dies in 4/5ths of one single Cayman die using the 40nm process. Unreal Engine 3.975 will be easily achievable by 2013 consoles.

Yes exactly, and beyond with Unreal Engine 4.0 which will be the minimum for next-gen. We've seen engine's on the current HD consoles that beat Unreal Engine 3.0.

I can't be the only one not terribly excited. The rush I personally got was seeing posters swear allegiance to their console of choice and defend it to the very end. It was dynamic and fresh. But the people that grew up with the console wars are fairly cyncical and apathetic to companies like Sony and Microsoft now (as they should be). And teenagers don't really give a shit because they're used to the multi platform treatment of this generation. There's no spirit any more in game discussion because of how the industry has changed over the last few years.

I know many of you are glad that the heated fanboy debates have winded down for the most part as consoles begin carving out their own niches and compete beyond the gaming-sphere. But damnit I love that banter before the console war kicks off.

Also because gaming blogs and related tech analysis has bloomed this generation, more and more gamers understand the technology and technological advancements available. So I don't think anyone will be particularly mystified and excited once the specs are revealed because we'll probably already have an idea of what it translate into.

Zabka

You have at least 2 years before launch. Take a floor of MS HQ, fill it with top engineers, and give me a GREAT AMAZING POWERFUL d-pad.

Haliela

camineet, your avatar is hypnotic o.o

I am ready for the next generation to begin! The next Xbox is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see the beefing up they're going to do to LIVE let alone the visuals. *froths*

Zabka said:
You have at least 2 years before launch. Take a floor of MS HQ, fill it with top engineers, and give me a GREAT AMAZING POWERFUL d-pad.

Next generation Microsoft D-pad is capable of rendering 12 hodoukens per second.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
elrechazao said:
I want fat, un-hip allard please.

I was always a fan of still kind f chubby and only slightly hip Allard.

Damn, new xbox console launch just won't be the same without him and his hoodie under a dinner jacket fashion :(

statham

camineet said:
Whatever GPU that AMD/ATI comes up with for Xbox3, it should be more powerful than the Radeon HD 6990, that is two Caman GPUs. As well as more powerful than three GTX 580s. It'll be able to run Unreal Engine 4.0 with ease and look better than the latest UE3 3.971 or whatever it is.

Both Xbox3 and PS4 will be huge leaps beyond 360/PS3 and the Wii's successor will be less powerful than Xbox3/PS4 but still better than 360/PS3. The gulf between Wii's successor and Xbox3/PS4 will be smaller than Wii vs 360/PS3. They'll all look like they're from the same generation. I expect 1-2 GB of RAM for Wii's successor and 4 GB for Xbox3/PS4. GDDR5/6 will be cheap. I just hope Sony uses Rambus TeraByte Initiative RAM. I also hope both Microsoft and Nintendo use lots of embedded memory, enough to handle a 1080p framebuffer.
the fact they almost went with 256 this gen, makes me doubting 4gb next gen. but I hope.

KAL2006

Banned
I predict
Wii 2 release in fall 2012
Xbox 720 release in mid-fall 2013
PS4 release in fall 2013 - Q1 2014

Microsoft will extend the life of 360 by selling a 360/Kinect bundle for only $200
Sony will also do something similar with a move bundle

Emitan

statham said:
the fact they almost went with 256 this gen, makes me doubting 4gb next gen. but I hope.
2GB at most. That's more than enough to run a console optimized game plus a console OS.

Doffen

Ezalc said:
I hope you don't have to pay for online this time around but, who am I kidding. Fuck you microsoft.
I gladly pay for the Xbox Live service. There’s a reason I play all the multiplatform games on the 360, and that is Xbox Live.

Moving on to speculations; I believe the NextBox will be more intergraded with Marketplace, this means more DD games, not only Xbox Live Arcade and old games for demand – perhaps they’ll ad something like OnLive too. With all this downloading they’ll need a bigger HDD, this means two versions Arcade: 500 GB and Pro: 1T. The other hardware specs (Graphic card, CPU, GPU…) will be all new upcoming “proof of concept” products from the different HW partners (like last time), and Microsoft will mass-produce them so they’ll become like totally super cheap. They will also go Blu-ray with the 3D stuff, and they’ll get a new TV contract like they had with Samsung on HD-Ready. Every NextBox will also be shipped with the re-designed Kinect and two gaming controllers (Motion or classic - I do not know). And there will be a new Xbox Logo (Like the X ball, and the green on black X).

And sorry about the misspellings, my grammar knowledge doesn’t work this late.

statham

Billychu said:
2GB at most. That's more than enough to run a console optimized game plus a console OS.
I agree, more is always better but I wouldn't be disappointed with 2. and it will be at least 2gb. the OS will be much bigger next go-around with these machines doing more and more in their OS's

Emitan

statham said:
I agree, more is always better but I wouldn't be disappointed with 2. and it will be at least 2gb. the OS will be much bigger next go-around with these machines doing more and more in their OS's
How much RAM does the 360 keep in reserve for the OS? 32 or 64MB, right? It's going to be more than that next time, but I don't think the OS will grow enough to make 2GB feel small for a long time.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
The arcade will probably only have flash memory, just like with the current system. HDDs are relatively expensive, and the fact that it's optional gives them a great competitive advantage against Sony on pricing. I do expect Blu Ray standard, though.
No way. Every console being guaranteed to have a HDD is a good thing. I'm expecting a 60 or 120 GB hard drive minimum unless they release a super budget model.

Top Bottom