• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Doffen said:
With all this downloading they’ll need a bigger HDD, this means two versions Arcade: 500 GB and Pro: 1T.

The arcade will probably only have flash memory, just like with the current system. HDDs are relatively expensive, and the fact that it's optional gives them a great competitive advantage against Sony on pricing. I do expect Blu Ray standard, though.

codswallop said:
All I want is something to easily run that purdy Unreal Engine 3 demo at 1080p 120fps (so 60fps for 3D) and that takes flashcards instead of optical drives. Flash cards have enough capacity and are fast enough that I don't see any need for an optical drive to be the main storage device for consoles. I have DVD and BluRay players, thanks. Make them an addon (like the HDDVD for the 360) for those who must have them.
LOL @ 120fps. They can barely get 60fps running. Lol.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Originally Posted by DuckRacer:
So... fall 2014?
Sounds good to me.

Would it really take that long to be released, that's like, in a long time! 2013 sounds like the sweet spot to me.

Ah let the cycle start anew.

Console warriors across all the great nations sound the horns of battle ! Fanboys arm yourselves well for this time it will be settled and many will perish on the orange soda a Cheeto drenched battlefield of console ownership.

I am curious to see if they use Blu Ray and if they have learned any lessons on how much RAM it needs.

Zerlorn

Neo Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tries to push out a tad ahead of the competition, the wii's sales (while NPD was still playing nice) are really trailing off from their highs. If i were putting money on it, I'd say we might see some upgraded wii in the next year and a half ish, then the 3DS light the year after.

Always good to see companies serious about hiring for the future though. Wonder where Sony will some in with a new console release schedule.

Mr. B

I'm surprised they're still this early in the development of the NextNextBox. The only console I WANT to be upgraded is the Wii. I feel the PS3 and the 360 have a bit more life left in them.

G_Berry

Banned
THANK FUCK! Shit is finally happening!

This gen of consoles needs to seriously fuck off and die. Bring on the newness, my body is ready!!!

RedSwirl

Yep this looks about in line with the Fall 2013 that most of us have been predicting. I imagine Kinect will be built into every model but it will still ship with a controller. Hopefully nothing more than $400 at launch.

What I Want:
Cloud-based backups of saved games (rip off Steam)
Cloud-based demos for every game
Universal screenshot function (again, rip off Steam)
(if possible) Universal video capture and livestreaming
A non-gaming app store
Every game on Games On Demand from day one
Weekend deals for Games On Demand
At least the ability to rent dedicated servers from Microsoft
A sturdy machine

Game Guru

Just as long as the next Xbox is backwards compatible with 360 and at an affordable price at launch, I will be happy.

And yes, backwards compatibility is important if companies are going to try to push digital distribution. No one is going to accept DD if they know that they will lose access to digital games every 5 years.

GavinGT

Banned
It makes perfect sense that they'd wait until now. They had to wait and see whether Kinect would be a success before they would know where to get with their next-gen Xbox.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
PopcornMegaphone said:
I'm a little surprised their only hiring for next gen now. I would have thought they'd be further along in their development.

edit - the article says the same thing.
so you think just because they put an ad now they have started hiring (or more importantly assigning people to this) now?

OldJadedGamer said:

I'm not sure about Nintendo but SONY is pretty much a lock, after seeing PSN+ slapped together. SONY desperately had to find a way to get their userbase accustomed to a paid online this generation, because it would be extremely difficult for SONY to go up against a service like XBOX Live next gen when both services are similiarly priced having not offered a paid online service previously.

Sony's biggest mistake this generation was not having a paid PSN structure. I think it would have allowed SONY to avoid that initial $599 by subsidizing the costs even greater with the paid online subscriptions. This is why some say the PSN wasn't actually free to begin with.

Zeal

Banned
G_Berry said:
THANK FUCK! Shit is finally happening!

This gen of consoles needs to seriously fuck off and die. Bring on the newness, my body is ready!!!
i was gonna post something like this, but i see you have me covered. thanks.

Smokey

canova said:
I'm not ready for next generation till 2018-2020

2dufa6g.gif

StevieP

Banned
Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm not sure about Nintendo but SONY is pretty much a lock, after seeing PSN+ slapped together. SONY desperately had to find a way to get their userbase accustomed to a paid online this generation, because it would be extremely difficult for SONY to go up against a service like XBOX Live next gen when both services are similiarly priced having not offered a paid online service previously.

Sony's biggest mistake this generation was not having a paid PSN structure. I think it would have allowed SONY to avoid that initial $599 by subsidizing the costs even greater with the paid online subscriptions. This is why some say the PSN wasn't actually free to begin with.

I can't believe I'm even reading this post. I still can't believe people accept paying for peer-to-peer online gaming, no matter how seamless it's pretending to be. Unless you've got these people running dedicated servers (which *are* free on PC, FFS), there is NO reason you should be paying for online AND encouraging all companies to do it. Shitty DLC is bad enough in the current climate.

LovingSteam said:
LOL @ 120fps. They can barely get 60fps running. Lol.
The only reason it couldn't be done is if the cost were too great. Which it would be. So back to 30fps for us. Doesn't stop me wanting it.

duk

Banned
all next gen games at 60fps won't be possible, it'll be like all gens, 30-60fps depending gfx fidelity

duk said:
all next gen games at 60fps won't be possible, it'll be like all gens, 30-60fps depending gfx fidelity
Why wouldn't it be possible? Of course it'd be possible with powerful enough hardware. It wouldn't be feasible, though.

duk

Banned
codswallop said:
Why wouldn't it be possible? Of course it'd be possible with powerful enough hardware. It wouldn't be feasible, though.

ill repeat again, all next gen games wont be possible in 60fps, it's just not a priority of devs

StevieP said:
I can't believe I'm even reading this post. I still can't believe people accept paying for peer-to-peer online gaming, no matter how seamless it's pretending to be. Unless you've got these people running dedicated servers (which *are* free on PC, FFS), there is NO reason you should be paying for online AND encouraging all companies to do it. Shitty DLC is bad enough in the current climate.

I'm not saying any of what you just suggested. I am talking from SONY's perspective. What you think people should or shouldn't do or think means dick in terms of what I just said, because SONY has to compete in the real world, not in your little fantasy land.

60 fps will never be a standard on consoles. Developers will want to push the graphics as much as possible, especially later on in the generation. To achieve 60 fps they'll have to downgrade the graphics one way or another. It's as simple as that.

If you care that much about 60 fps you should be gaming on PC.

StevieP

Banned
Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm not saying any of what you just suggested. I am talking from SONY's perspective. What you think people should or shouldn't do or think means dick in terms of what I just said, because SONY has to compete in the real world, not in your little fantasy land there.

If Sony was serious about competing, they wouldn't take a bath on hardware. But I wasn't talking about "competing", I was talking about the ludicrous nature of paying for p2p and how you're encouraging all companies to do it "to compete". No. I hope it's all free next gen, not the other way around.

Rham said:
So what type of control scheme will this new Xbox use? Kinect only? Or Kinect and a nunchuk-like controller?

Probably both, just like this gen. They will probably sell an SKU with the successor to Kinect bundled and one without. It would be nice if the next Xbox is backwords compatible with the current sensor.

codswallop said:
The only reason it couldn't be done is if the cost were too great. Which it would be. So back to 30fps for us. Doesn't stop me wanting it.

If they packed enough power in the PS3 to make its current games run at 120 fps then devs would just make games with better graphics that still run at 30fps.

codswallop said:
Its not even possible for most PC gamers to get 120fps fps for many new releases. Console owners will be lucky to get 60fps next season. Just because the hardware will be more advanced doesnt matter since the games running on it will also be more advanced.

Wow, they're still in preproduction!!

The odds of them using the Maxwell went up quite a bit in my book :)

"Nvidia Corp. will integrate general-purpose ARM processing core(s) into a chip that belongs to Maxwell family of graphics processing units (GPUs), the company revealed in an interview. The Maxwell-generation chip will be the first commercial physical implementation of Nvidia's project Denver and will also be the company's first accelerated processing unit (APU).

"The Maxwell generation will be the first end-product using Project Denver. This is a far greater resource investment for us than just licensing a design," said Mike Rayfield, general manager of mobile solutions for Nvidia, in an interview with Hexus web-site... Jensen just told at the press conference that the new chip is 40 times faster than Fermi and that it will get up to 10 to twelve times faster than Kepler.

The manufacturing process of choice is 22nm, something that TSMC hopes to have in 2013 but it still leaves quite a gap in 2012 when there won’t be anything really new, just maybe a tweak in Kepler.

Between now and Maxwell, we will introduce virtual memory, pre-emption, enhance the ability of GPU to autonomously process, so that it's non-blocking of the CPU, not waiting for the CPU, relies less on the transfer overheads that we see today. These will take GPU computing to the next level."

http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/item/20260-nvidia-maxwell-is-22nm-part

G_Berry

Banned
codswallop said:

With more powerful hardware comes more heat. Look how big a modern day PC is, graphics cards and CPU coolers are MASSIVE and even with 4 fans and the best cooler you can buy I still have heat issues.. and my case is FUCKING HUGE!

Water cooled consoles? Larger consoles? I don't know how they'll do it.

Stephen Colbert said:
Wow, they're still in preproduction!!

"Nvidia Corp. will integrate general-purpose ARM processing core(s) into a chip that belongs to Maxwell family of graphics processing units (GPUs), the company revealed in an interview. The Maxwell-generation chip will be the first commercial physical implementation of Nvidia's project Denver and will also be the company's first accelerated processing unit (APU).

"The Maxwell generation will be the first end-product using Project Denver. This is a far greater resource investment for us than just licensing a design," said Mike Rayfield, general manager of mobile solutions for Nvidia, in an interview with Hexus web-site... Jensen just told at the press conference that the new chip is 40 times faster than Fermi and that it will get up to 10 to twelve times faster than Kepler.

The manufacturing process of choice is 22nm, something that TSMC hopes to have in 2013 but it still leaves quite a gap in 2012 when there won’t be anything really new, just maybe a tweak in Kepler.

Between now and Maxwell, we will introduce virtual memory, pre-emption, enhance the ability of GPU to autonomously process, so that it's non-blocking of the CPU, not waiting for the CPU, relies less on the transfer overheads that we see today. These will take GPU computing to the next level."

No offense man but after reading you arguing for VR from Nintendo I have a hard time reading your predictions seriously.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
By announcing the next 3D Mario for 3DS and because of Retro hiring for more Wii games, Nintendo can't get a console out by 2012 without massive software issues at the beginning of its life (Something I think Nintendo would want to avoid considering that they have to support their systems by themselves)

Who is to say they haven't been working on games already?

LovingSteam said:
No offense man but after reading you arguing for VR from Nintendo I have a hard time reading your predictions seriously.

None taken. But since you bring it up, why exactly do you see it as being absurd, and more importantly, would you have reacted the same way if someone told you four years ago that the "Revolution" is an overclocked gamecube with motion controls, or that the DS followup will have a 3D screen? I'm guessing you would have reacted the same way.

Nintendo is all about disruting the market, and doing something that makes even casual gamers and nongamers take notice.

Look at the press they got when they went with motion control for the Wii. That, plus their reaction to the Nintendo Go video, plus the billions they've been sinking R&D the past several years, plus the fact that VR already exists and works in arcade machines...

VR absolutely is something that Nintendo would absolutely do everything they can to make a reality.

Motion controls plus glasses with 3D screens is basically VR, and Nintendo already developed both technologies.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
If they packed enough power in the PS3 to make its current games run at 120 fps then devs would just make games with better graphics that still run at 30fps.
That's about the only good argument I've read on the matter. I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns where adding more complexity isn't just worth it, and optimising to run faster is a better use of resources. But we're a long way from that.

StevieP said:
If Sony was serious about competing, they wouldn't take a bath on hardware. But I wasn't talking about "competing", I was talking about the ludicrous nature of paying for p2p and how you're encouraging all companies to do it "to compete". No. I hope it's all free next gen, not the other way around.

People pay (at least everyone on my friends list) for online because of how easy and seamless it is to play together. I think when you pay for a service you have the right to demand more. When it's free you have to take what is given.

While it would be nice to hope... you know it won't be the reality. Being able to get into an party with 8 of your friends and easily jump from one game to another without a hitch is worth paying for for a lot of people. I think the hope for these other two if they start charging is that they will be offering a lot of new features to their services worth paying for. Let's not forget, the upkeep on these services isn't cheap and the cost of online gaming offsets that. Sony stated they while they are now making money on the system, they are still losing on the PSN service. It's not free to them to keep it up.

At the end of the day, people want to play online with their friends with the littlest hassle possible. The easier the better.

StevieP said:

Where exactly am I encouraging this crap you speak of? I am talking from SONY's perspective and what I think they should have done better. Of course I would love all that stuff you mention buts it completely irrellevant here. I'm not telling you should pay for these services or buy anything from them. I am saying what SONY should have done because it appears to have worked for the competition.

The world you are talking about DOES NOT exist. Who wouldn't love all that?

McHuj

Stephen Colbert said:

I don't know about a full blown Maxwell solution, but an integrated ARM/NVIDIA chip wouldn't surprise.

MS has had a lot going on with ARM recently: hirings for ARM servers, Win8 on ARM, mobile versions of Windows on ARM. It wouldn't be too far fetched if NVIDIA were to deliver an integrated solution somewhere between a full Maxwell part and Kepler.

If it's coming in 2013, I doubt it will be a 22nm part, they'll want to go with something reliable and 28nm should be very mature by them.

subversus said:
Spring 2014 or fall 2013 indeed.

So, we have 2-3 years of awesomness left. I don't think I'll upgrade my 6950 during this time. May be sell it for Nvidia one if there will be a lot of games with heavy tesselation.

I think we're lookinga at full DX12 compliance with that sort of release schedule.

G_Berry said:
With more powerful hardware comes more heat. Look how big a modern day PC is, graphics cards and CPU coolers are MASSIVE and even with 4 fans and the best cooler you can buy I still have heat issues.. and my case is FUCKING HUGE!

Water cooled consoles? Larger consoles? I don't know how they'll do it.

They will probably have to go with non cutting edge tech this time, a current gen GPU would be pretty darn small on 22nm.

Stephen Colbert said:
None taken. But since you bring it up, why exactly do you see it as being absurd, and more importantly, would you have reacted the same way if someone told you four years ago that the "Revolution" is an overclocked gamecube with motion controls, or that the DS followup will have a 3D screen? I'm guessing you would have reacted the same way.

Nintendo is all about disruting the market, and doing something that makes even casual gamers and nongamers take notice.

Look at the press they got when they went with motion control for the Wii. That, plus their reaction to the Nintendo Go video, plus the billions they've been sinking R&D the past several years, plus the fact that VR already exists and works in arcade machines...

VR absolutely is something that Nintendo would absolutely do everything they can to make a reality.

Motion controls plus glasses with 3D screens is basically VR, and Nintendo already developed both technologies.
Oh, I don't deny they would love to base their next console around VR but my point is its just not feasible YET in terms of cost. Also Nintendo wouldn't want to have the same issue happen with lack of 3rd party support. The Wii was the far and away best seller but it lacked 3rd party support due to the huge difference between its hardware and the PS3/360.

Top Bottom