• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Rham

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
So much for Kinect

Believe me, you haven't seen the last of Kinect. You'll be seeing a whole bunch of it for the next 15 years, so get used to it.

I think they should not even release a Kinect 2 until it's ready. The only gamers who will be there day 1 with the new Xbox aren't really interested in motion controls. I say keep selling the old 360 + Kinect while marketing the new box to hardcore gamers.

Seems like the way to go. Release a highly improved version of Kinect once the old Kinect market starts dying off.

Also looks like we have to wait until 2013 for new consoles from Microsoft and Sony :(. Hopefully Nintendo's Wii successor has some serious muscle in it, that can keep me happy. Having owned a 360 since 2005 I am so ready for new hardware!

Emitan

subversus said:
A console is usually made in 2-3 years, so we can start speculate on hardware more seriously.

To put it very rough we can expect 580 in smaller nm + some improvements in various DX11 features, like tesselation and so on. They can try Larrabee approach of course but I seriously doubt that.

What I DON'T WANT is emphasis on 3D.
Any guesses as to how cheap/heat efficient this could be in 2012/2013? I want a cheap console that won't die on me, if I want super crazy graphics, I'd rather buy a new graphics card.

Atomski

bathala said:
Sony visits GAF saw thread.

Ok guys lets start hiring for PS4

You sure they did not start soon as they realized their current system had been completely unlocked by hackers?

I hope we see something nice next gen.. no more screen tearing and such. Gah... just give me a pc that easily hooks up to a tv.

This thread is now about speculation regarding next generation consoles.

What will the NextBox have? Not just horsepower terms, I mean will it come with a Kinect standard? What will the PS4 look like? Super Wii?

Emitan

Atomski said:
You sure they did not start soon as they realized their current system had been completely unlocked by hackers?

I hope we see something nice next gen.. no more screen tearing and such. Gah... just give me a pc that easily hooks up to a tv.
Why would developers focus on that when they can just make better screenshots in low resolutions like every other generation?
ThoseDeafMutes said:
What will the NextBox have? Not just horsepower terms, I mean will it come with a Kinect standard? What will the PS4 look like? Super Wii?
Kinect hardware integrated into the system with a smaller, better camera. And the system will be designed with new hardware in mind (like adding in a new control method like Kinect).

Honestly I bought an xbox last year, and just replaced my ps3 with a slim. I'd be happy with no new consoles for awhile.

Rham said:
So what type of control scheme will this new Xbox use? Kinect only? Or Kinect and a nunchuk-like controller?

This, with of course optional standard controller that can be bought separetely.

Microsoft loves accessories, too much profit to be gained here.

sneaky77

Wazzim said:
Damn, this gen is far to long.

There are still awesome games coming out, and the return in investment for graphics is really not that huge anymore.. I am not in a huge hurry to upgrade to the next gen to be honest..

Also if it's only motion control.. then I'll pass.. I like some motion control games that are on the pipeline for Kinect.. but I still want regular controller games.. and no 3D.. I know I think I am dreaming and I will be dissapointed.

Atomski said:

Most modern computers have Hdmi out

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Billychu said:
Any guesses as to how cheap/heat efficient this could be in 2012/2013? I want a cheap console that won't die on me, if I want super crazy graphics, I'd rather buy a new graphics card.

the card alone will be like 150-200 bucks I think.

szaromir

Banned
MS should rehire Ed Fries, J Allard, Robbie Bach and Peter Moore. The dream team from Xbox 1/early 360 days, all of them were great personas (aside from RobbieBach maybe, he always seemed a bit cocky to me).

I think they will unviel the Xbox 3 at E3 2012 and then launch it in the Fall of that year. Pushing it out to 2013/2014 is unrealistic and like others have said I would imagine a variation of the kinnect technology will be built in from day one.

subversus

Billychu said:
But ordered in bulk? I really want the new consoles to launch at $300. Anything more worries me.

I think we should expect 400$ launch.

Afrikan

bathala said:
Sony visits GAF saw thread.

Ok guys lets start hiring for PS4

its unfortunate but Sony can't take chances and might have to rush a console as well... If Microsoft beats them to the punch again, with say Call of Duty 720 at launch, with Next Gen Madden.....it would be a wrap.

Sony should try to launch before or around the next Xbox...and maybe have spread out types of genres for launch....like say, Uncharted 4 (or Killzone 4)....lock up a true Demon Souls 2....and from there the regular 3rd Party games.

It's crazy. At this point last gen, we were getting insane PS3 tech demos for games like Killzone 2, while the 360 was less than a year away from release.

I'm glad that we haven't even heard a peep out of any of the big three in regards to next gen yet.

subversus

Afrikan said:
Sony should try to launch before or around the next Xbox...and maybe have spread out types of genres for launch....like say, Uncharted 4 (or Killzone 4)....lock up a true Demon Souls 2....and from there the regular 3rd Party games.

I like Sony and the only console I own is PS3 but I wish they wrap it up and focus on mobile platforms.

Emitan

subversus said:
I think we should expect 400$ launch.
Is a sub $400 price feasible? Considering how old the tech inside the current consoles is cheap parts would still give a good increase in performance.

An-Det

Fall 2013 seems right. That's around where I said they should launch it years ago, so ramping up now seems appropriate. While I'm glad this generation has and will last that long, I am certainly curious to see what it on the horizon.

x3sphere

Billychu said:
Is a sub $400 price feasible? Considering how old the tech inside the current consoles is cheap parts would still give a good increase in performance.

I don't see why not. They don't have to use the latest and greatest. By the time the next generation is here, HD5850-class cards will probably be going for around $100. It'd still be a huge leap, the 5850 several times more powerful than what's in the current crop of consoles.

Atomski

_dementia said:
Most modern computers have Hdmi out

Yep mine does but when I hook it up my tv shit looks crazy. Ive tried changing resolutions and everything.. it always looks super zoomed in and I cant even see the damn task bar. So I just gave up using it like that. Just get lazy and take it back to my desk. Just feel like it should be more streamlined. I shouldn't have to spend a few hours doing research to run it on there. Plus then controlling it becomes a huge issue due to me hating wireless mouses. :p

Meanwhile part of me is pushed for a next gen but other part is not. I feel like to few developers will even survive another generation of consoles. But then I see stuff like BF3 footage and I know theres no way consoles will run it that well and having to develop the game for consoles is also probably holding back its true potential.

Heck if more developers would get there games on pc and give them support I'd probably just drop console gaming. But theres still those few games that will never hit PC that bring me back :/.

x3sphere said:
I don't see why not. They don't have to use the latest and greatest. By the time the next generation is here, HD5850-class cards will probably be going for around $100. It'd still be a huge leap, the 5850 several times more powerful than what's in the current crop of consoles.

Fuck that shit, I want a DX12 card in my PS4. When should we expect those cards to be released, late '11? A late 12, mid 13 console release could be feasible with DX12.

Emitan

Lion Heart said:
Fuck that shit, I want a DX12 card in my PS4. When should we expect those cards to be released, late '11? A late 12, mid 13 console release could be feasible with DX12.
Get a PC. Consoles should be cheaper and make up for the lack of power with games being optimized for one hardware set.

canova said:
new generation consoles are huge investment. I want to milk this generation for a long time

A car is a huge investment. A console is something that you can buy every couple of years no problems. If you've got a steady job you can buy all consoles and a gaming PC and still have money to spare.

Donos

subversus said:
MIND CONTROL

tbpzq.jpg

2013 seems just about right for MS. Question is what direction they will take. No way they are gonna got the total kinect route. I expect something along Wiimote/Move to complement Kinect or some type of break apart controller like it rumoured for the PS. Kinect only is highly unlikely.

I also don think that it will be DD only. That is waaay to early. But good luck for MS. I don't think that Sony will bring PS4 anytime soon, not with NGP around the corner so they get a chance for a headstart again.

Emitan

ThoseDeafMutes said:
A car is a huge investment. A console is something that you can buy every couple of years no problems. If you've got a steady job you can buy all consoles and a gaming PC and still have money to spare.
Seriously. 8 years for the 360 is a pretty long time. I would have called someone crazy in 2005 if they said the next Xbox wouldn't be coming for almost a decade.

Donos said:
I also don think that it will be DD only. That is waaay to early.
Certainly not. I expect most, if not all games to release digitally the same day as the disk version, but they won't go DD only because the market isn't ready for it. How many people don't even connect their 360s to the internet?

subversus

Billychu said:

may be.

May be they plan to get market share by agressive pricing.
May be they'll cut costs on something else.

it's too early to say.

Billychu said:
Get a PC. Consoles should be cheaper and make up for the lack of power with games being optimized for one hardware set.

PC? I want Gran Turismo to be running on a DX12 card, whether I have a monster PC or not. I love the fact that consoles are sold at a loss and while I don't expect another PS3 fiasco, there is no reason we can't have nice parts for $399.

No matter when it comes out i'm giving it a year to stew first, jumped too many times into a launch to not have much to play, problems or console revisions appearing, my 360 will last me a long LONG time right now.

Top Bottom