• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Tennis 4 Details (PS3 exclusive content, Bowlingtennis O_o)

Majine

Banned
PS blog

EU PS Blog said:
5574375146_33f43b55e4.jpg

Firstly let me introduce myself to those of you who don’t know me. My name is Mie Kumagai, I’m the Executive Producer on Virtua Tennis 4 and I have worked on the game since the original version launched on arcade machines across the world in 1999. This is the first of a series of blogs about Virtua Tennis 4, which is out on April 29th, but I’d like to start with a few words about the big earthquake that hit Japan on March 11.
Everybody over here deeply appreciates your concern and consideration for us. Things have still not gotten back to normal and areas around Tokyo are suffering from planned outages due to electricity shortages, but we are doing our very best to deliver Virtua Tennis 4 to you.
Hopefully you’ll enjoy the game when it’s released!
Today’s blog is geared up to tell you all about what’s new for Virtua Tennis 4 on the PlayStation 3; there’s a host of new features including PlayStation Move compatibility, a brand new World Tour and online centre, plus plenty of others.
However, I’m happy to announce that on the PlayStation 3 VT fans can expect some extra exclusive content not available on other platforms, and today is where we’ll tell you a little bit more about this.
Firstly, the game features legend players for anyone wanting to relive some classic tennis moments. On the PS3, you’ll be able to get your hands on Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pat Rafter, who will be exclusive and playable from the moment you load up the game.

5570632189_93f6cafaf3_m.jpg

Legend players are not the only piece of exclusive content on offer for PS3 gamers, as Virtua Tennis 4 will also feature two exclusive Party Games. The first one is a trip back to an old VT classic in the form of the very popular Pin Crusher, where you are challenged to play a game of tenpin bowling serving the ball to try and knock down skittle on the opposite side of the court.

VIDEO

Pin Crusher is playable with a standard controller only, but for PlayStation Move players, there is also an exclusive Party Game called Net Blitz, which challenges you to build up a score by returning balls into different sized nets. The smaller the net, the more points it will earn you if you hit it. It’s a very fun experience using the 1:1 PlayStation Move compatibility and is sure to have people in living rooms fighting for the high score as they progress through the five levels.

VIDEO

The other thing I’d like to talk about today is a fantastic mini-game we are developing for PlayStation Home. This is due to launch in time for the French Open and has a Space Invaders feel to it. Check it out from 22nd May and see if you can get a high enough score to earn our exclusive VT4 personal space and some exciting items with a VT spin.
Check out the videos and screens of both Party Games for a taste of what you can expect. We’ll also be following up in the coming weeks with some more blogs when we have more news and on demos and other areas of the game.

Oh, and check out the racquet pack that will also be on sale from 29th April. Here’s a quick visual; more details to follow about what you get and where this will be sold in the next blog.

5570465745_864321bcd8.jpg

I'm happy for bowling tennis, but man this plastic accessory stuff for the Move, other than the rifle I'd guess, are too much--in addition to the crap for the Wii that overcrowds the retail space.

Pretty stoked, I love me some VT. Plus, I mostly dig Move controls. Should be good. Rackets are silly.

When is this supposed to come out in the US?

Firstly, the game features legend players for anyone wanting to relive some classic tennis moments. On the PS3, you’ll be able to get your hands on Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pat Rafter, who will be exclusive and playable from the moment you load up the game.
What is this shit? I was 99% sold on the PC version and am waffling now. Why is one version getting so much exclusive content? Not only the legends but 2 exclusive mini-games as well. Sigh...

Citizen K

Are there any impressions of this? What's the chances of this being a better tennis sim than top spin 4? Is it likely be more arcady like the previous entries or realistic like ts4? I'm tempted to buy top spin today!

gcubed

i'm going to ignore the tennis racket picture...

have there been any initial impressions about how the move controls work?

lorddct

Will this game be able to support 4 move controllers?

I am still waiting for a game that will allow 4 different players to play a game at the same time. And truly hoping this will be the one that will allow that!

Speevy

Banned
Nintendo sells pieces of cheap plastic, we sell the real thing.*

*Cost of Playstation Move controller may exceed $100.

Raistlin

Wario64 said:
Tennis rackets? Seriously?
While they look silly, they will make the balance and aerodynamics a bit closer to reality. Plus actually resetting your racket to face the screen will be much easier. You'll be able to do it completely by feel.

Paracelsus said:
Those would have made much more sense as Kinect accessories. .-.
Except it wouldn't work.

iFootball

So... I downloaded the World Tour demo yesterday... and to be honest, I was kind of disappointed... obviously, I was looking forward to this game for its touted "good" PS Move implementation, and yes this demo does not include Move support but... to start, the controls/mechanics themselves where too simple (unlike Top-Spin mechanics), and even the graphics were pretty bad...

When I played the Top-Spin demo some weeks ago I felt those graphics were kinda lame... but now my first impression with VT-4 was that they were even worse...

Ugh.. I was really looking forward to this game... hopefully the Move implementation justifies the purchase...

I'll just give it go again tonight, maybe the second time around helps out...

Anyone else has any thoughts on the demo?

Just tried the demo and really like what little ive played. it's not too difficult and not as laggy as topspin was.

Plus im a sucker for create your own character modes, I mean I do have my favorite tennis players but i'd rather play as my own person since watching tennis makes me want to play myself. The world tour mode seems really hefty in content, as you've got to watch your condition, meet with fans, interviews, and more.

I hope the game sells well, and they get the demos on live as well. I've got mines pre-ordered mine though
3AQmK.gif

JWong

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
VT4's Move support is 1:1, so it's not like Top Spin.
Cool, but I'm sure there's got to be some assists. I really want hardcore 1:1 mode that's really punishing and accurate.

Think I will still get it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Bowling tennis was in Virtua Tennis 3, so it's basically just being passed along to Virtua Tennis 4 and excluded by Sega for some benefits from Sony. Not a big deal. The other exclusive mini game is similar in that it was also in Virtua Tennis 3 (I believe).

I really do hope the Move controls are good as I was very disappointed in Top Spin 4's. I am very happy that Virtua Tennis 4 supports stereoscopic 3D.

JWong said:
Cool, but I'm sure there's got to be some assists. I really want hardcore 1:1 mode that's really punishing and accurate.

Think I will still get it.

Me too, but unlikely we'll get it (just my opinion). Would love to get it though.

Top Bottom