• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 Years LttP: Twin Peaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's only recently that I've begun watching this, despite considering myself a fan of David Lynch as I've enjoyed every one of his films that I've seen thus far. In fact, I'll happily admit that it was an article I read about Alan Wake being heavily influenced by Twin Peaks that finally gave me the kick up the arse I needed. If I'd known the show was going to blow me away, I certainly would've watched it sooner.

"Better late than never", as they say; the ninth episode of the second season just finished and I am about to start on the tenth.

Really, what is there to say that hasn't already been said about Twin Peaks? It's amazing. Every single aspect of it is; the acting is top-notch (Kyle MacLachlan as Dale Cooper and Ray Wise as Leland Palmer in particular), the writing and directing are faultless, the music is sublime and the atmosphere of the idiosyncratic titular town is damn near palpable.

I'm loving it so much I can already feel the impending sense of sadness that'll overwhelm me once the show is over. Needless to say, Twin Peaks has well and truly supplanted Lost as my favourite show of all time. All it needs now is a Blu-ray release.

If you haven't yet seen Twin Peaks, you owe it yourself and humanity to change that. Stop whatever meaningless task you're doing at this very moment and get on it.

On a final note:

fenndetails.jpg

Damn.

JaseC

StopMakingSense said:
Fantastic timing for this thread, as it will begin streaming on Netflix tomorrow.

Awesome. There's no excuse if you happen to miss it!

Beware the rough patch. If the characters weren't so goddamn endearing, and the plot didn't move in the way it eventually does, it would rank as the biggest fucked up season 2 of all time.

Edit: I love the show, by the way. Gold box with postcards means I'm winning, I think.

JaseC

afternoon delight said:
Beware the rough patch. If the characters weren't so goddamn endearing, and the plot didn't move in the way it eventually does, it would rank as the biggest fucked up season 2 of all time.

I've prepared myself for an eventual downturn. I'm sure I'll survive it.

I've prepared myself for an eventual downturn. I'm sure I'll survive it.
Oh, definitely. I didn't read anything about the series before watching Season 1 and then got them both to finish it off. I noticed it internally, and did not know until the extras and the internet revealed: I wasn't just really high, it was real life, and they made those choices.

Still, the major arcs they address are perfect.

Angry Fork

I love this show so much + David Lynch stuff in general. I'm probably gonna use a TP avatar sometime down the line. It really really sucks that it ended the way it did and
we won't get to see what happens to Cooper, Annie, what Bob does, and so on.
Fuck whoever cancelled the show.

The atmosphere is just so perfect. I don't have a 360 but I desperately want one in order to play Alan Wake since it has similar stuff.

Also for fans who have watched Fire walk with me: I still haven't seen it because i've heard it kind of ruins Twin Peaks or something, is this true? If you're a twin peaks fan should you watch Fire walk with me or should I not bother in case it tells me/shows me things that'll taint the original series?

LProtag

Sadly ABC kinda forced the show to do some things that were determinable to the overall plot. However, I think it remains a completely endearing show during these dry spots simply because of how well built the world and characters are.

Melchiah

Watched it when it was aired on Finnish TV about 20 years ago. Loved Audrey Horne, Bob and the last episode, particularly the ending. I've watched the series through two times since, I dunno if I ever want to watch it for the fourth time, as I think it loses part of its effect with every subsequent viewing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i love s2 to me it's what makes twin peaks twin peaks. it was a christmas tradition when i was a kid to watch this every year with my family. now that it's on netflix i'll start watching it with my wife. been a few years anyway so most of it will be very fresh.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
When I watched it on it's first run, I remember getting freaked out by the Lynch/Frost productions logo at the end of the credits, and had to leave the room before the BZZZKKTKKTT ZZZKKKTKTKT!

JaseC

Jill Sandwich said:
When I watched it on it's first run, I remember getting freaked out by the Lynch/Frost productions logo at the end of the credits, and had to leave the room before the BZZZKKTKKTT ZZZKKKTKTKT!

Haha, that made me jump the first time I left the credits running. Wasn't expecting it at all.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I love how easy to spot the Lynch-direcred episodes are. They have those bizzare moments to them (think my favorite was the barbershop quartet).

I can sort of appreciate the Heather Graham character, but she just didn't have any time to develop. That pagent at the end was bad, too. And Billy Zane, what was that? I love this show BTW.

Chuckie

Love that show.... one of the best ever.

I remember Sherilyn Fenn and Madchen Amick had my hormones raging when I was a young lad.

twinpeaksvrouwen.jpg

I'm about half of the first season. I loved it. I don't remember why I stopped watching...

Oh yeah: summer came, good games arrived and a girl kicked in my life.

*looks on the shelves for dvd box*

*found dusty cases*

TIME TO WATCH SOME GOOD COOPER SHOW

leroidys

afternoon delight said:

Edit: I love the show, by the way. Gold box with postcards means I'm winning, I think.

Yep. You're at the highpoint right now, and an amazing high it is. Brace yourself.

JaseC

mattiewheels said:
I love how easy to spot the Lynch-direcred episodes are. They have those bizzare moments to them (think my favorite was the barbershop quartet).

Indeed. The Lynch-directed episodes are certainly quintessentially Lynch.

Just finished the tenth episode. More or less halfway through the season. I'll probably plough through the of the episodes over the weekend and then watch the prequel film soon thereafter.

Edit: Bugger it, one more episode can't hurt. My first lecture isn't until 3:30pm, anyway.

JaseC

big ander said:
This post is about as confusing as Twin Peaks itself.

zrPc5.jpg

Edit: Oh God, it's Mulder and he's playing a cross-dressing DEA agent. There aren't enough lol smilies in the world.

I watched this a few years ago, and yeah, it's incredible television. I can only wish I was old enough when it was actually airing to be a part of the whole phenomenon at the time.

Then again, how the series ends is so ... argh.
depressing, cliffhanger, bah! i want to know what happens!

And yeah, Cooper is pretty much impossible not to like. What a role.

LayLa

one thing that people don't give as much credit as they should to is how funny this show can be
any scene with FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield is comedy gold

JaseC

LayLa said:
one thing that people don't give as much credit as they should to is how funny this show can be
any scene with FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield is comedy gold

Andy is great, too.

"I need to talk to you about my sperms!"

SiteSeer

Angry Fork said:
Also for fans who have watched Fire walk with me: I still haven't seen it because i've heard it kind of ruins Twin Peaks or something, is this true? If you're a twin peaks fan should you watch Fire walk with me or should I not bother in case it tells me/shows me things that'll taint the original series?
I would not say it ruins the show but lynch goes off on his tangents and we are left with a big WTF. I marathon watched the show with my friend, we both loved it, then when it came time to watch the movie (which at that point became an event) I was left speechless and he and his brother (who we got to watch and love the the show with us) both hated it. We all came to the conclusion later that Lynch, how should I say it, lost control of his own creation and let his id take over

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I actually finally watched "Fire Walk with Me" earlier this week. Amazing.

And there was a great warmth to to the show proper. I loved the hell out of it. I wonder if Lynch will ever revisit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom