• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 Years LttP: Twin Peaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuttycam

Banned
Fire Walk With Me is probably one of the most underrated horrors ever. I love it and the entire series. Season 2 is terrible for a good 5-6 episodes in the middle but it all comes back around for a great ending.

LProtag

Nuttycam said:
Fire Walk With Me is probably one of the most underrated horrors ever. I love it and the entire series. Season 2 is terrible for a good 5-6 episodes in the middle but it all comes back around for a great ending.

I think the thing about the movie is that it didn't give a clear sense of closure to the series, so people tend not to like it.

But really with a Lynch project, I don't think you should expect a clear sense of closure, but the fact that it was prime-time television would make people think otherwise.

Nuttycam

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
I think the thing about the movie is that it didn't give a clear sense of closure to the series, so people tend not to like it.

But really with a Lynch project, I don't think you should expect a clear sense of closure, but the fact that it was prime-time television would make people think otherwise.
For sure, I wasn't really bothered about everything getting tied up and being made clear, but then again I liked the ending of Lost so I'm probably a mentalist.

Melchiah

InsertNameHere said:

A movie that is a prequel to the TV series can hardly offer any kind of closure.

I liked it for what it is, a darker shade of Twin Peaks. I think many people were disappointed, and perhaps even dismayed, by its tone, but then again, what did they expect? It was known the film would concentrate on the last days of a teenage girl, who was sexually abused and murdered. It won't have a humorous tone, and it most certainly won't have a happy ending.

flyover

StopMakingSense said:
Fantastic timing for this thread, as it will begin streaming on Netflix tomorrow.
My favorite show ever -- even when it turns to crap. Time for a rewatch. Will it have the original pilot? I've only seen the movie version of the first episode with the tacked-on ending. Is that the only difference between the European TV movie and American pilot versions?

I've only seen the movie version with the tacked-on ending. Is that the only difference between the movie and pilot versions?
Whoooooooooa that would be disorienting. :lol

Um, I'm just about positive that's the only difference, as the sequence was shot but then cut up and used in different parts of the season.

flyover

afternoon delight said:
Whoooooooooa that would be disorienting. :lol

Um, I'm just about positive that's the only difference, as the sequence was shot but then cut up and used in different parts of the season.

Yeah, it would've been extremely confusing if I hadn't been warned ahead of time! So I knew the last few segments were to be ignored.

Kurtofan

big ander said:
tumblr_lg7g9wAulw1qdnwiro1_400.gif
That's my Leland!

Alucrid

Banned
I watched the first five or six episodes. I just got angry at every character and got stick of the multiple love triangles forming so I had to stop watching. The FBI agent is great though.

LProtag

Alucrid said:
I watched the first five or six episodes. I just got angry at every character and got stick of the multiple love triangles forming so I had to stop watching. The FBI agent is great though.

what

JLG-

Ohhhh Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey,
Say "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

Melchiah

"Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance out between two worlds
Fire walk with me"

"Heads up, tails up, run you scallywags. Night falls, morning calls, I'll catch you with my death bag. You may think I've gone insane, but I promise, I will kill again!"

"He is Bob, eager for fun. He wears a smile, everybody run."

is this the official Twin Peaks rewatch thread? because it should be.

When does Netflix update? I wouldn't mind starting the pilot tonight.

I'm loving it so much I can already feel the impending sense of sadness that'll overwhelm me once the show is over. Needless to say, Twin Peaks has well and truly supplanted Lost as my favourite show of all time. All it needs now is a Blu-ray release.

unfortunately, I don't think any of Lynch's stuff is blu-ray. Although Eraserhead streams in HD.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So how about that David Bowie scene in Fire Walk With Me, eh? Eh??

(it was actually one of my favorite scenes, probably because it was so disorienting)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Smision said:
unfortunately, I don't think any of Lynch's stuff is blu-ray. Although Eraserhead streams in HD.

Only a few of his films are. The Elephant Man springs to mind.

Smision said:
is this the official Twin Peaks rewatch thread? because it should be.

It may as well be!

Well that's weird. I was just about to make a Twin Peaks thread since I just finished the pilot about an hour ago. I really enjoyed it, and I've been looking forward to starting the series after finishing and enjoying Deadly Premonition so much. How does the series hold up in the two seasons? I've heard that season two goes downhill after the murderer is revealed. Also, should I bother with the international version of the pilot? I have it on dvd from Netflix for the time being and I wanted to know before I send it back.

JLG- said:

By spoilers do you mean major plot spoilers or spoilers solely from the pilot? I really hope I didn't spoil the identity of the murderer just now.

_Bro

Banned
So I've been trying to figure out if I'll like this show and can someone tell me how X-Files it is? Like, not creepy/alien but just interesting. I just can't figure it out from stuff I read. Everything just makes it sound like a goofy cop solves a crime but then I hear something else that makes it sound really dark. Is it dark and interesting set in a cheery town or something? I can't fucking figure it out and it's coming to Netflix and my trial ends in a week or two so I have to get an entire show in that time if it's worth it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
_Bro said:
So I've been trying to figure out if I'll like this show and can someone tell me how X-Files it is? Like, not creepy/alien but just interesting. I just can't figure it out from stuff I read. Everything just makes it sound like a goofy cop solves a crime but then I hear something else that makes it sound really dark. Is it dark and interesting set in a cheery town or something? I can't fucking figure it out and it's coming to Netflix and my trial ends in a week or two so I have to get an entire show in that time if it's worth it.

Think: Quirky soap opera with a creepy, surreal undercurrent. Its better to think soap opera 'cause this show is very much about the characters and their drama. Go in thinking its like X-Files and you'll definitely be disappointed.

_Bro said:

It's fucking worth it.

Anyway, it's kind of like a soap opera in its pacing and some of its characters. It's really about what seems like a peaceful innocent town and a very creepy undercurrent below it. There's some sci-fi in it too, but don't go expecting X-Files. Overall you get the feeling that all of the characters are messed up somehow and it's really fascinating.

If you watch a few episodes and you're not hooked, it's probably not for you.

agrajag

Banned
Wow, I just finished a Twin Peaks/FWWM marathon a couple of months ago and was wondering why there isn't an official GAF thread. It's so amazing. One of my favorite TV series ever, bested only by The Simpsons (the good seasons) and Seinfeld. Completely different genres, of course.

The thing though, is that second season is a lot weaker than the first. It has it's great moments, no doubt, but the writing isn't the same. That whole filler ark with James where he goes out of town and is seduced by that cougar chick that tries to frame him was so pointless and unnecessary.. And in general, James and Donna got so annoying in the second season.

It's also a shame it ended so abruptly. The way it ended brought such a feeling of hopeless bleakness. :(

agrajag

Banned
timetokill said:
It's fucking worth it.

Anyway, it's kind of like a soap opera in its pacing and some of its characters. It's really about what seems like a peaceful innocent town and a very creepy undercurrent below it. There's some sci-fi in it too, but don't go expecting X-Files. Overall you get the feeling that all of the characters are messed up somehow and it's really fascinating.

Also, another caveat: be prepared to see some really late 80's/early 90's =isms. The way people dress and speak might come across corny when watching it for the first time in the present time, but you have to keep it in perspective.

Melchiah

RadioHeadAche said:
By spoilers do you mean major plot spoilers or spoilers solely from the pilot? I really hope I didn't spoil the identity of the murderer just now.

You didn't spoil the identity of the murderer.

agrajag said:
It's also a shame it ended so abruptly. The way it ended brought such a feeling of hopeless bleakness. :(

Which is exactly why I love the way it ended.

_Bro

Banned
timetokill said:
It's fucking worth it.

Ah, hopefully I'll like it. By X-Files I meant the episodes where it's just really creepy but nothing crazy.

Guess I'll get started once Netflix gets this rolling.

agrajag

Banned
Melchiah said:
You didn't spoil the identity of the murderer.

Which is exactly why I love the way it ended.

It really wasn't supposed to end like that though. ABC pulled the plug on them, when the story was supposed to continue, and there were a bunch of unresolved plot lines and intriguing characters that were begging to be developed further. Ben Horne FTW.

agrajag

Banned
I suggest just buying the complete series DVD box set. I don't know if watching it on NetFlix you'll be able to see the original pilot. I love it so much, it's so full of tension as the entire town is shook up over the death of Laura Palmer.

derFeef

I watched that last year for the first time. I could not stop watching it, DVD after DVD, it is so good. Sadly the show falls apart in season 2 halfway in (theyneeded to rush it, I guess).
Have not seen FWWM yet.

That intro music is awesome btw. and I remember my parents watching it when I was a kid, just because of the intro theme.

agrajag

Banned
For those who haven't watched FWWM, but watched the series, don't expect it to be very similar. It's really more like a typical David Lynch movie, without, in my opinion, most of the charm and levity found in the series.

agrajag said:
I suggest just buying the complete series DVD box set. I don't know if watching it on NetFlix you'll be able to see the original pilot. I love it so much, it's so full of tension as the entire town is shook up over the death of Laura Palmer.

I really enjoyed it. For those whom subscribe to the dvd+instant streaming plan can request the dvd with the pilot. That's what I did.

agrajag

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
I really enjoyed it. For those whom subscribe to the dvd+instant streaming plan can request the dvd with the pilot. That's what I did.

Cool, so yeah, everyone should do that! I never saw the pilot when I saw the series originally, many years ago. It was pretty neat seeing it when I bought the box set recently.

agrajag said:
Cool, so yeah, everyone should do that! I never saw the pilot when I saw the series originally, many years ago. It was pretty neat seeing it when I bought the box set recently.

I was surprised that it was the gold box edition because when I originally added it to my queue, the image for the dvd was the older release from 2001 or so. Is the gold box re-release the only dvd set with the broadcast pilot?

I have to again watch it again. Such a fantastic show.

Opening scene of Season 2 is one of my favorite scenes in TV history. So awkwardly frustrating and satisfying at the same time.

agrajag

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
I was surprised that it was the gold box edition because when I originally added it to my queue, the image for the dvd was the older release from 2001 or so. Is the gold box re-release the only dvd set with the broadcast pilot?

I'm not sure. A few years ago a friend lent me the box set for the first season, and it didn't have the pilot, I don't think.

Melchiah

agrajag said:
It really wasn't supposed to end like that though. ABC pulled the plug on them, when the story was supposed to continue, and there were a bunch of unresolved plot lines and intriguing characters that were begging to be developed further. Ben Horne FTW.

I know, but to me it was a perfect way to end the series.
To change the series' hero, and the most sympathetic man in the universe, into a villain was a bold and fantastic move.
Shame though about the unresolved plot lines.

_Bro said:

If you are a fan of Silent Hill and/or Alan Wake you will like this. Its basically Silent Hill:The TV series

warthog

Lovely series. I just watched it for the first time only a couple of years ago. I wish I could erase it from my memory and watch it again, over and over. Maybe when I'm old and senile...

I also watched Lost Highway for the first time yesterday. Loved it.

Zekes!

I just started watching Twin Peaks earlier tonight. Now I'm putting off sleep so I can watch more. Damn, it's got another fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom