• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 Years LttP: Twin Peaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great show. I bought S1 on a whim in the Christmas holidays and loved it. The DVD prices for Twin Peaks here in Aus are a rort (The place I got S1 from on sale for 20 bucks is now selling it for $65!)

So I got 1-2 episodes of Season Two but lost interest for some reason. I should really get back into it, I owe it to what is a awesome show.

roosters93 said:
Great show. I bought S1 on a whim in the Christmas holidays and loved it. The DVD prices for Twin Peaks here in Aus are a rort (The place I got S1 from on sale for 20 bucks is now selling it for $65!)

So I got 1-2 episodes of Season Two but lost interest for some reason. I should really get back into it, I owe it to what is a awesome show.

The middle of season 2 is truly awful at times (right about when Lynch went to pursue other projects) but it picks up near the end, and you definitely want to watch the end. Then you can watch the movie :)

The middle of season two is depressing. It's like watching a relative suffer from Alzheimer's, only they find a cure for it before it kills them.

And his name is Windom Earle.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
i only watched a part of this last year, but thinking back , i'm getting a fond feeling.

agrajag

Banned
butter_stick said:
The middle of season two is depressing. It's like watching a relative suffer from Alzheimer's, only they find a cure for it before it kills them.

And his name is Windom Earle.

man, he wasn't the worst thing about season 2, not by a long shot. It's all the extraneous James/Donna bullshit that ruined it.

Also, after they figured out who the murderer was, the show came for a screeching halt Dale seemingly having nothing to do for a couple of episodes.
That whole thing where he was suspended from the bureau
, that was awful.

agrajag said:
man, he wasn't the worst thing about season 2, not by a long shot. It's all the extraneous James/Donna bullshit that ruined it.

Also, after they figured out who the murderer was, the show came for a screeching halt Dale seemingly having nothing to do for a couple of episodes.
That whole thing where he was suspended from the bureau
, that was awful.

I meant he was the cure.

I loved him so much.

agrajag

Banned
butter_stick said:
I meant he was the cure.

I loved him so much.

Oh, okay then. I thought he was alright. The show definitely started picking back up when he showed up. But seriously,
Bob is the most compelling villain in TP

EliCash

Ah Twin Peaks, words cannot describe. Damn fine thread indeed.

Just to think what it would have been like if Frost and Lynch were given the creative freedom in season 2 to reveal the killer on their terms. Still though, the scene where who killed Laura Palmer is revealed is my favourite piece of television, the
"it is happening again"
scene, the bit after the killer is revealed . So heartbreakingly good, leaves me speechless every time. Also FWWM is massively underrated, both as a film in its own right and as part of Twin Peaks.

The Horror Channel in the UK were re-airing TP at the end of last year and they made an awesome 30 promo for it that completely motivated me to re-watch it again.

And I have no idea where Season 3 would have lead us, but I have a definite feeling that it would have been a place both wonderful and strange.

Dead Man

Finally got around to getting the box set after not watching it since it was on TV originally, I just watched the pilot, the show is as awesome as I remember.

EliCash

For those who haven't seen it, Psych's Twin Peaks tribute episode "Dual Spires" is probably worth checking out, it features 8 (I think) TP cast members. (No Kyle Maclachlan)

LProtag

ThreeSix said:
I really liked what little I did see from this show. The first I had ever heard of this was when I played the game Deadly Premonition which is essentially Twin Peaks the video game. (FBI agent goes to small town to investigate the murder of a local young girl. Weird stuff happens shortly afterwards, etc.) There are so many little references to the show in it and finally I decided to check it out. Unfortunately, CBS.com which is where I watched the episodes, took them all down in the last couple of months.

I really want to play this game, but I don't have a 360.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just finished watching S02E14 ("Double Play"). The ending scene gave me Lost vibes.

"You can call me Windom. Windom Earle." *cue the absence of light to darken the chess board*

I have to say, Ben being a nutjob confederate is hilarious. The whole thing with James was boring as shit, though. It went nowhere at all.

Edit: Oh, this James
is on the run
sub-plot is still going. :(

Alucrid

Banned
InsertNameHere said:

BlueTsunami said:
Oh, Alucrid!

What? You have that one girl who runs away after dark to be with her biker boyfriend despite the killer still being out there. Then her actual boyfriend finds out and there's that whole mess. Then there's the fact that they lied and were like, "Oh, that necklace? I don't know." The girl whose father owned that lodge or whatever that was hosting those international investors pissed me off too since she just wanted to fuck everybody's day up. You have the dude that beats his wife and she doesn't do jack shit. And on and on. I mean, do these characters get more likeable as the show goes on? Or at least maybe dead? Should I just battle through the next few so it can capture me in its charm?

Manus

So I watched the first 30 minutes of the pilot and thought it was pretty boring. I love David Lynch so I don't know why I found it boring. I'm guessing the show gets a lot better?

LProtag

ThreeSix said:
Next best thing might be to watch an LP of it if you're into that kind of thing.

Watching this just makes me want to play the game more.

SquirrelNuckle said:
So I watched the first 30 minutes of the pilot and thought it was pretty boring. I love David Lynch so I don't know why I found it boring. I'm guessing the show gets a lot better?

A lot of the pilot is establishing all the background of the town and the characters. The show gets really charming once you realize that nearly everyone in this small town has a pretty well fleshed out backstory and distinct personalities.

JLG-

SquirrelNuckle said:

Dude agent Cooper aka the best character doesn't even show up in the first 30 minutes of the pilot.. Please keep watching.

stuminus3

Anyone know if there's plans for this to hit Netflix in Canada?

Loved this show. I can't believe it's been 20 years.

flyover

JLG- said:
Just finished watching the Netflix pilot and i can confirm that it is indeed the original Pilot.
Excellent. My weekend is set.

SquirrelNuckle said:
The pilot has a bit of a different feel from the subsequent episodes (like a lot of pilots). It's worth watching for the setup, but I think the show is better afterward. Plus, as mentioned above, you need Coop to show up before things start getting good.

JaseC

Just finished watching S02E16 ("Slaves and Masters").
Bob's back!

Now on to S02E17 ("The Condemned Woman")... and Norma's sister is a young Heather Graham! This has to be the only role she's had in which she stays clothed.

fenners

Gah! Trying to play episodes, gives me a black screen, other films working fine. Guess I'll have to watch the DVD ;)

JaseC said:
Now on to S02E17 ("The Condemned Woman")... and Norma's sister is a young Heather Graham! This has to be the only role she's had in which she stays clothed.
Her character is such a bore. Seriously, Cooper would not fall in love with a walking Xanax commercial after a sexy little firecracker like Audrey Horne.

Croc

Banned
Even though I've known about Twin Peaks for quite awhile, (since I am a big fan of a lot of Lynch's other stuff) it wasn't until I started watching it 2 days ago that I've suddenly been hearing about it. One of my professors made a reference to it yesterday in class and then today I stumbled across this thread.

Anyways I just finished the second episode and I'm loving it so far. I really like how connected the characters are and how you are already getting to know the characters pretty well even after only 2 episodes. I'm reeeally excited to watch the rest.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Her character is such a bore. Seriously, Cooper would not fall in love with a walking Xanax commercial after a sexy little firecracker like Audrey Horne.

I wouldn't exactly call Audrey a firecracker. She had that Xanax-ish way about her as well. So hot though.

I love Twin Peaks, warts and all. It's a thriller, a drama, a comedy, a "cop show," a soap opera, a horror show, and a self-aware parody of all of those genres. It's amazing, and there won't be anything like it on television again.

But it does have its low points, and the lowest point of the show comes in season 2 (which has a lot of low points... remember the
fucking thought bubble appearing above Andy's head as he imagines the evil little kid
?), when
the weasel (or whatever) escapes during the Miss Twin Peaks pageant
. That part's not really as bad as the arc that sees James leaving on his motorcycle for an excruciatingly boring adventure that would have been lame in a shitty soap opera (fuck it, that's not even worth spoil-tagging), but the shitstorm really comes to a crescendo during the aforementioned scene. Each time I've seen it I'm just flabbergasted that it came to that. It's obvious the people behind the show had no idea at all what to do after the big reveal. I'm still not sure who should be blamed for that.

Still, season 2 isn't all bad. I think the first episode of S2 is maybe my favorite of the series, and of course the ending is great.
Windom Earle
is a great character trapped in a lousy plot and the wrong show, I adore
Dick Tremayne
, and of course watching
David Duchovny
ham it up in drag was amazing.

And yes, I did have to spoiler-tag all of that. I watched Twin Peaks for the first time a few years ago with no knowledge at all, amazingly, of the show. That's how it should be watched.

EDIT: And in case this somehow hasn't been posted yet for the newcomers: do not watch the film until after both seasons of the show, and do not expect a film version of the show's quirky nature. It's a character study and it's quite a bit darker.

TheLegendary said:
I wouldn't exactly call Audrey a firecracker. She had that Xanax-ish way about her as well. So hot though.

Audrey's laid-back (when she wants to be), but she isn't boring. Graham's character is two-dimensional, as much as I personally like her as an actress/pretty lady.

agrajag said:
Shelly is a woman after my heart.

Come at me, bro. She's mine!

InsertNameHere said:
I really want to play this game, but I don't have a 360.

Same here. And I was disgusted by the game's existence until I found out it was a low-budget underdog title. Now I can't wait to play it!

The thing with S2 is that Lynch never wanted
to reveal the killer
. The network basically forced it on the show. Which I believe is a big reason why Lynch was so absent during S2.

As such, S2 often feels without purpose, a meandering mess. The actors are on record as saying they felt like Lynch abandoned them in S2, and I think it's evident that they were well aware that the quality of the show was dipping. Personally I'm convinced that Heather Graham's character is the writers' revenge on Lynch :p Look what it does to poor Coop!

That said, Lynch is really able to save the show in those last couple episodes. My god, the sheer tension in those is incredible.

Night_Trekker said:
Audrey's laid-back (when she wants to be), but she isn't boring. Graham's character is two-dimensional, as much as I personally like her as an actress/pretty lady.

Definitely no comparison. But Audrey definitely has that aloof thing going on at times, and she's definitely fucked up in a "medicated" sort of way. But she's also intelligent, innocent, etc. and there's certainly a lot of depth to her character.

Seriously though... she just downed a whole bottle full of Xanax here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYSYlVFF_94

Those eyes when she looks up at 0:30. Drool.

TheLegendary said:
Definitely no comparison. But Audrey definitely has that aloof thing going on at times, and she's definitely fucked up in a "medicated" sort of way. But she's also intelligent, innocent, etc. and there's certainly a lot of depth to her character.

Totally agree.

Seriously though... she just downed a whole bottle full of Xanax here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYSYlVFF_94

This scene is a pretty good example of how multifaceted Twin Peaks is. Audrey is hot and the whole thing is kinda sexy, but I also laugh when she finishes that dance to music that would never, ever be found on any jukebox in the universe with, "Isn't this music dreamy?" It's just so absurd.

And I don't think the creators (Lynch especially, based on his films) would have a problem with that. There are scenes that will break your heart and make a different person laugh, and for some reason I think both responses would make the creators happy.

JaseC

TheLegendary said:

Haha, the second-most top rated comment is gold:

look at Donna's face, she wants to SCISSOR THAT SHIT HARD!

Edit: Gordon Cole is an amazing character. "'LINKAGE' REMINDS ME OF 'SAUSAGE'! NEVER CARED MUCH FOR THE LINKS, PREFERRED THE PATTIES. BUT, BREAKFAST IS A REAL GOOD IDEA!"

I'm dying here!

InsertNameHere said:
Watching this just makes me want to play the game more.

You could always do what I did and import the Asian PS3 version. Most of the text is in Japanese, but all spoken dialogue is in English. Some menu items are in English as well, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem navigating through the start and pause menus. You will need to use guides for the sidequests and a few puzzles in the story, but I felt it was worth the effort. I absolutely loved Deadly Premonition and now I'm more than half-way through season one of Twin Peaks and I'm enjoying that as well.

By the way, is Wiggum's dream in "Who Shot Mr. Burns" a reference to Cooper's first dream in the "red room"? As soon as that scene started I began to think about that one moment from The Simpsons.

RadioHeadAche said:
By the way, is Wiggum's dream in "Who Shot Mr. Burns" a reference to Cooper's first dream in the "red room"? As soon as that scene started I began to think about that one moment from The Simpsons.

Yep :) that's exactly it
Simpsons has referenced Twin Peaks at other times as well

Man

Greatest TV show ever created.
The emotional peaks delivered are so strong and pure. It's like teenage love.
So many great characters and moments. It's beautiful.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
One of my favorite, weird little moments is in Season 2, when
all the guys are fawning over the mayor-or-whoever-it-was's girlfriend in slow-motion.

The absolute nadir was the episode that just happened to be directed by Diane Keaton. Other than that, Season 2 was still damn fine television.

Tabris

Does Twin Peaks end properly? Without spoiling anything. I don't want to start watching it if it ends on a cliff hanger.

twinpeaks.gif

Tabris said:
Does Twin Peaks end properly? Without spoiling anything. I don't want to start watching it if it ends on a cliff hanger.
If you dislike ambiguity or lack of resolution Twin Peaks is probably not the series for you.

Night_Trekker said:
I love Twin Peaks, warts and all. It's a thriller, a drama, a comedy, a "cop show," a soap opera, a horror show, and a self-aware parody of all of those genres. It's amazing, and there won't be anything like it on television again.

[...]

Totally nailed my feelings about it. Twin Peaks makes you laugh, cry, cringe. It can puzzle and scare you but those feelings aren't forced on you and always seem to grow at the least expected times.

And Lynch is a master when it comes to make the weird, the deviant and the mysteries so surprisingly close and familiar to the viewer.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The bar scene where a couple of the main characters are vibe'ing on a feeling in the air is just... perfect. It should have been a corny scene, if any others series had a scene like that it most assuredly would have been, but not in Twin Peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom