• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games On Demand Thread For The Few Reasonably Priced Releases

Gowans

Generally Games On Demand Prices are Really Terrible but every now and then there is a decently priced game or two.

Though you can't share, trade them in and have to wait to download, they take a lot of your HD space & I'm still unsure how they handle codes you get with the game (online pass etc.)

So after reading the Tales of Vesperia how about a thread to highlight the not so horrible ones for us Gaffers?

I'll start with some in the UK that I think are reasonable:

Batman Arkham Asylum - £14.99 (1840MSP)
Tales of Vesperia - £19.99 (2400MSP)
Borderlands - £14.99 (1840MSP)

And the games gets even cheaper if you decide to pay in points, since you can get those for dirt cheap every now and then.

Gowans

daviyoung said:
Tales of Vesperia is the only reasonably priced one.
I dunno compared to amazon they are cheaper.

I think for the older games or B list stuff the aim should really be for around the £15-20 mark.

I still can't pull the trigger on GoD in general tho the stuff I want on my HD where I will always play or I have plenty of DLC for are too much.

Games like Super Street Fighter, BFBC2 etc. are all games I'd keep hold of long term and would love to get rid of the discs but not at the prices on here.

I think there are some other ok stuff I spotted

Darksiders - £14.99 (1840MSP)
Bayonetta - £14.99 (1840MSP) (maybe a little high compared to some places tho)

daviyoung

Banned
Gowans007 said:
I dunno compared to amazon they are cheaper.

I think for the older games or B list stuff the aim should really be for around the £15-20 mark.

Amazon has new disc versions of those kind of games at £10 - £15. To be competitive GOD (lol) need to go for £5 - £10 ideally, or encourage bundle buying. I can't succumb to paying an extra price just for the convenience, especially since I'm not getting anything tangible.

Gowans

toythatkills said:
Can ya list prices in points, too?
Done!
daviyoung said:
Amazon has new disc versions of those kind of games at £10 - £15. To be competitive GOD (lol) need to go for £5 - £10 ideally, or encourage bundle buying. I can't succumb to paying an extra price just for the convenience, especially since I'm not getting anything tangible.
I don't think anyone are staying these are Deals, the sad state is that they are reasonable prices for the service.

Anyone else have anything spotted? http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Games/GamesOnDemand

Is Bordelands that reasonably priced? the Game of the Year version is £18 on Zavvi for example...

I would put EDF2017, it's 20 euros and it's pretty hard to find...seems like a good deal.

Bayonetta is 19.99€. It is not the best price for it, but on GoD it is one of the better deals.

Darksiders is also 19.99€.

These are usually a little bit cheaper if you buy them with MS points.

E: Beaten :(

Edit2: Bayonetta and Darksiders are 1680 MS points here in Finland. Maybe in other € countries too?

Gaspode_T

I love seeing games put up that don't have wide retail releases (this is tied to the print run of the release, if retailers don't order further copies of the game it tends to not be found in stores like GameStop).

Mini Ninjas is a good example of that, it's only $19 and has great reviews, but probably didn't sell huge amounts. Zelda fans are encouraged to check it out in every review I've read.

Lots of missing games I can think of that would land in this pile: Turok...Culdcept Saga...

I really want to see Pinball Hall of Fame up there...it's another no brainer! MSRP is only $19! Civ Rev is also a game I would play way more if I didn't have to go find the disc. I have done my fair share of complaining about some of the high prices.

Full Disclosure Disclaimer: Post sponsored by Microsoft Borg Employee, Opinions are of my own and not my employer

Kafel

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
I love seeing games put up that don't have wide retail releases (this is tied to the print run of the release, if retailers don't order further copies of the game it tends to not be found in stores like GameStop).

Yeah, there's Raiden IV on GoD for example. Full price though.

daviyoung

Banned
Rocky_Balboa said:
Edit2: Bayonetta and Darksiders are 1680 MS points here in Finland. Maybe in other € countries too?

Damnit Microsoft, I thought one of the main ideas for having space points was so this didn't happen.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
given up on xbox for games that aren't xbox live now. steam is where it's at for these kind of deals.

Xbox live is still quite good.

Gowans

daviyoung said:
Damnit Microsoft, I thought one of the main ideas for having space points was so this didn't happen.
Yeah it's crap but at least GoD are the only exception. God if the UK had US GoD point prices the platform would be awesome.

Curufinwe

Good idea for a thread. I spent an hour on Saturday looking at every game that's available on demand, and there are only a handful that are reasonably priced.

Vinterbird said:
And the games gets even cheaper if you decide to pay in points, since you can get those for dirt cheap every now and then.

I haven't had much luck getting good discounts on MS Points cards in America, but I have got a lot of free points thru Bing Rewards. It's US only, unfortunately.

Those prices are starting to get into the right range, i jumped on bayonetta at that price about what youd pay in the shop. I might have batman as well when i pick up some more points.

Gowans007 said:
Bayonetta - £14.99 (1840MSP) (maybe a little high compared to some places tho)
About the same price on the norwegian store, not bad really compared to the very steep and bad pricing in retail shops here. However you probably could find it at the same price online from another EU country though. Still, I believe this is the price they should go for with most of the games on demand.

I've got:
--DMC4 - $29.99
--Halo Reach $49.99
--Batman: AA - $29.99
--Burnout Revenge - $19.99
--Ninja Gaiden Black -- ??

but much cheaper since I used points I had gotten through deals. Probably more like half price for all of those, if not less.

I bought an Alan Wake code for less than $10 too

TheUsual

Gold Member
So with Games on Demand, are there so many installs you have with the game you purchased or can you download as many times you need to?

I remember when they put Mass Effect 1 up there it was $20, which at the time was actually on par with retail (sometimes better) but they never dropped the price so it sucks now. I don't have an xbox anymore but I can't honestly think of anything else that was priced well on there.

Kujo

Decent priced titles for Australia - 1800MSP

Aliens vs Predator
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

REV 09

$20 for anything on there is a good price imo. You may be able to find it cheaper by searching around, but there is a convenience factor to just hitting the dl button. It's really great when you're playing a different game and someone invites you to a game that you have downloaded; it literally jumps right into the game if you accept the invite.

Curufinwe

Yeah, US $20 is the sweet spot. I was considering getting SC: Conviction until I saw how many of the Achievements were co-op or multiplayer (since I only have Xbox Live Free.)

Zabka

I got Alan Wake from a sale somewhere for $2 plus a couple bucks in shipping for a card with a DL code on it. I think I got Fable 2 when there was some glitch that had it priced for free.

The only one I actually purchased through the service was Ninja Gaiden Black on sale a while back. It's great to always have it available but every time I've switched Xboxes the saves become corrupted.

angelfly

I would have dealt with these high prices if the games were region-free (cheaper importing). Still good to see the prices getting better for some things however overall it's still terrible.

Baron

Kafel said:
Yeah, there's Raiden IV on GoD for example. Full price though.

Ooo, when did Raiden IV go up? I own the disc but haven't opened it yet...I like my STG games on demand and I've been waiting for this one.

The prices really aren't all that bad considering you can very often snag points for 20-50% off of retail. Factor that into the retail price of GoD and sometimes you'll be paying way below used prices.

I will only buy more from them in the future, particularly when there's another really good points deal. I like being able to get in the mood and just play a game right away without putting in a disc. With cheap points, the games cost next to nothing, relatively speaking.

Zabka said:
The only one I actually purchased through the service was Ninja Gaiden Black on sale a while back. It's great to always have it available but every time I've switched Xboxes the saves become corrupted.

This was the first game I bought. and yeah, it has locked saves. Beaten the game so many times on Normal and Hard...

ultron87

Gamestop has Borderlands GOTY with all 4 DLCs for 20 bucks this week.

Probably a better deal than the normal version for 15.

angelfly

mikespit1200 said:
The prices really aren't all that bad considering you can very often snag points for 20-50% off of retail. Factor that into the retail price of GoD and sometimes you'll be paying way below used prices.
I really hate that argument since I never come across any of those deals and I always seem to miss out of those free point glitches for contest that happen every so often :(

About the only game on GoD that I want to pick up is Beautiful Katamari, as it's only $20 and it's relatively difficult to find these days.

Now that I have a properly sized hard drive I might grab it tonight actually.

Curufinwe

mikespit1200 said:

Where do you live? I've never seen Points card discounted by 50% in America, and I follow the CAG thread about deals on them.

Curufinwe said:
Where do you live? I've never seen Points card discounted by 50% in America, and I follow the CAG thread about deals on them.

There are buy 1 get 1 deals on point cards a few times a year.

alternatively, you can buy 6000 point accounts on ebay. They are sketchy, but you won't get banned for using them. they're not as good nowadays though-- people used to sell them for around $10, which is insane. now they got popular and they sell for $20 and up.

vixlar

Gears of war is at good price for Mexico. You can still find it new at better price, but you must wait for a Sales Offer or something like that.

And I think that "annual" sport games don't belong here.

Curufinwe said:

US, I've gotten a few points cards from ebay/tigerdirect and others usually from stuff like Groupon. They sell out quick is all so you gotta be fast.

I think Microsoft would tell you that with a Games On Demand copy of the game you pay a little more for the convenience of having it on your HDD.

Also, you can re-download it to your account as many times as you like, the standard Xbox Live DRM applies in the same as it does for XBLA and Originals.

I look at my shelf of game boxes and my CD wallets full of discs that can be scratched or damaged and I think about how awesome it is that I have around 40 XBLA titles stored handily on my HDD, out of sight and ready to be played at any moment. I look forward to the Digital Download future, but I still haven't pulled the trigger on a single GoD 360 title because of HDD space and price concerns.

Cheapness is winning out over convenience right now, but I don't know for how much longer.

alphaNoid

Banned
I've yet to buy a GoD game, even though on PC everything I buy is from Steam. Weird but I might take a dive for Tales of Vesperia.

Omikaru

I believe Beautiful Katamari is decently priced on Games on Demand when compared to second hand on various shops, which generally tends to hover around the same price, or a little higher.

At least it was the last time I checked.

DasRaven

Baron said:
Ooo, when did Raiden IV go up? I own the disc but haven't opened it yet...I like my STG games on demand and I've been waiting for this one.

It went up for Japan in January, nowhere else. I want it too, but region locks prevent acquisition.
We might get it 6 months later like with Aces.

Baron

DasRaven said:
It went up for Japan in January, nowhere else. I want it too, but region locks prevent acquisition.
We might get it 6 months later like with Aces.

No, I just checked - it is up for USA too. It is $40, but it is available to buy right now.

DasRaven

Baron said:
No, I just checked - it is up for USA too. It is $40, but it is available to buy right now.

Well, that's news to me. Looks like I'll be trading in my disc later today.

Edit: Release date 4/5/2011, so this just hit the store in today's update.

Daigoro

katamari is actually tempting. too bad i only have a 20 giger.

QUESTION: (ive asked this in three threads and no one has answered)

several weeks ago there was a spot on the dashboard that higlighted permanently discounted XBLA games. it showed games that had been discounted in the past and also recently discounted games.

any one know what happened to this? i looked in the shitty marketplace via the console itself and it seems to have dissapeared.

anyone know what the hell im talking about?

surly

Banned
Daigoro said:
katamari is actually tempting. too bad i only have a 20 giger.

QUESTION: (ive asked this in three threads and no one has answered)

several weeks ago there was a spot on the dashboard that higlighted permanently discounted XBLA games. it showed games that had been discounted in the past and also recently discounted games.

any one know what happened to this? i looked in the shitty marketplace via the console itself and it seems to have dissapeared.

anyone know what the hell im talking about?
It's in the Spotlight section of the dashboard. It shows the deals for this week, recently discounted games, and then there's another section for "top deals" where you can find content that's 800 msp or less or 400 msp or less.

Speevy

Banned
They need to do more deals like they did with Alan Wake. Buy a code card for $5.

What are they losing there? I bet hardly anyone buys these anyway.

clav

Steam still has me won over in terms of digital goods sales.

Still not good enough, MS! Mark it down lower.

Top Bottom