• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yar's Revenge 2011 |OT|

yars-revenge-logo.jpg

Yar's Revenge 2011
Published by Atari
Developed by Killspace Entertainment
800 MS Points/$10
PS3 version is still TBA 2011

Yar's Revenge came out today on XBLA and PC without as much as a peep from Atari. Seems like it got forgotten about by the Press and Atari. The game is a rail shooter that appears to be inspired by Rez, Panzer Dragoon and Starfox. While it doesn't live up to it's predecessors, by no means is it terrible.

Destroy the evil Qotile to bring Freedom to the Yar!

Many eons ago, the evil Qotile enslaved and brainwashed the Yar.

To serve their evil wishes, the Qotile use the Yar as an attack team to expand their control of the galaxy. During one of these attacks, a lone Yar is injured and left for dead. An ancient, wise Yar, Bar Yargler, rescues the Yar soldier. Bar Yargler explains to her the history of the Yar race and why revenge must be taken against the Qotile in order to liberate the Yar and bring peace to the galaxy. He promises to guide her throughout her fight with the Qotile. Armed with explosive Qotile technology, Yar brings the fight to the Qotile.

Will she bring freedom to the Yar or perish in her fight?
  • An exhilarating on-rails shooter – a tightly scripted cinematic experience in which Yar flies through visually stunning Miyazaki-inspired landscapes while fighting a wide variety of memorable enemies.
  • Unique and beautiful environments – fly through the rich and lush environment of the Yar Village to the bio-technological nightmare of the Qotile Homeworld.
  • Upgrades and RPG elements – Gain experience while customizing your armor and weapon abilities.
  • Drop in/drop out of local co-op – Join your friend at any time and help them conquer the Qotile menace.
  • Flashback – Unlock bonus features such as the original comic and challenge modes which will test your skills

boxartlg.jpg

The Original Classic:
s_YarsRevenge_6.jpg

The Modern Update:
Yars-Revenge-20110212090945_60121.jpg

yarsRevenge03.jpg

http://www.atari.com/yarsrevenge

Zeenbor

I played about an hour of Yar's Revenge this morning. It's a decent game for $10.

Pros:

- Art design is nice.
- Bosses are pretty challenging.
- Powerups are mostly useful.

Cons:

- Aiming is too accurate. I'd prefer a larger hit radius.
- Sound design is lacking.
- Levels are too long.

Disclaimer: I worked on the game for 5 months. It's a miracle it even got released.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I haven't heard a peep about the game since the first trailer.
Anyway, i'll gladly plop down 800 points on this. Can't go wrong with stylish railshooters.

Zeenbor said:
Disclaimer: I worked on the game for 5 months. It's a miracle it even got released.

If you can answer.
Is there a reason they went with duel-analog controls instead of single analog ala Rez/PD Orta?
It's manageable but seams over complicated. I almost wish they had put in alt or customizable control schemes.

Zeenbor

blizzardjesus said:
If you can answer.
Is there a reason they went with duel-analog controls instead of single analog ala Rez/PD Orta?
It's manageable but seams over complicated. I almost wish they had put in alt or customizable control schemes.

Actually, there was a 1 stick control mechanism in the game when I left the studio. Guess it was removed?

DiscoJer

pauljeremiah said:
I still have the original

Not sure if it's a claim to fame though

It's one of the more common carts. You're cooler than those whose claim to fame is owning a Combat cart...

pauljeremiah said:
I still have the original
Not sure if it's a claim to fame though
Ha, i have a copy too, it's definitely one of the best 2600 games. Anyway, I thought the quick look at GB made this look pretty cool a couple of months back, I'm going to check it out.

EDIT: so is it Yars' Revenge, or Yar's Revenge? The former seems to be on the 2600 cartridge above.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Zeenbor said:
I worked on the game for 5 months. It's a miracle it even got released.

Well, I'm grateful for your efforts and I hope they get Necromancer out, too.

I'm a sucker for games called Necromancer.

Agent X

GitarooMan said:
Ha, i have a copy too, it's definitely one of the best 2600 games. Anyway, I thought the quick look at GB made this look pretty cool a couple of months back, I'm going to check it out.

EDIT: so is it Yars' Revenge, or Yar's Revenge? The former seems to be on the 2600 cartridge above.

The original Atari 2600 game was Yars' Revenge.

The official Web site for the new game does not mention a PS3 version at all (not even "coming soon". I know it was planned for PS3, but is it still scheduled to come out for that system?

I tried the demo and I don't know what to think. I like these kind of games but the two sticks are almost too much. Maybe I just need to try again and I'll get used to it.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I guess Atari figured that the brief show-day they did for all three DD titles (Sanctum of Slime, Yar's, Daggerdale) was enough marketing.

I still have no idea when Daggerdale's being released, but I'm going to go ahead and assume around the same time as Hunted and Dungeon Siege.

My little review from the Live Arcade thread:

I just tried Yar's Revenge. The dual stick aiming really threw me off at first, as I'm used to and was expecting Starfox/Panzer Dragoon controls, but this is nice once you get used to it, maybe could be an even better control scheme for a future Panzer Dragoon (wouldn't make sense for Starfox).

No trail behind the lock on projectiles seemed cheap. They could have alt least given them a short tail, but I do realize this is the Panzer Dragoon talking.

The rail gun is satisfying to use.

Graphics were decent and the character is a decent size on screen. Low poly and low res textures but it's passable.

The music lacks presence. It was low and is just an ambient sound and background rhythm, which is lame. They should have hired me. ;)

"6 unique environments". I take that as 6 stages and 6 bosses.

Great deal for 800msp.

My girlfriend is pissed that they completely changed the game from what it used to be on Atari, but I never played the first one and I LOVE on rail shooters, so I ain't even mad.

Yar's Revenge is a buy for me.

I didn't think it was bad but there really is no reason for the game not to run at a rock steady 60fps. Sounds like the game was rushed beyond belief.

I'll probably still pick it up, though. It's a genre I'm a total sucker for.

beat

Sorry for the bump, but I just played the demo.

Short version: I wanted a Panzer Dragoon Orta ripoff, and didn't quite get it.

Taken on its own terms, I still think it's a game that could have been a lot better. On the positive side, there's a lot of great art - rail shooters consume a lot of content and they clearly built a lot. And the gameplay has a lot to recommend even if you don't want to think about how it's not just like PDO.

But the dual analog control system really is too complicated. Being able to move Yar all over the screen means she can block the user's view of the center of the screen.

The demo's tutorial is very badly structured. You're plunked right into a tunnel where you can control the reticule and enemies fly by, but you can't fly Yar. Then it pauses and tells you how to move the reticule and how to move Yar. A few more seconds, then it pauses again and now you're told how to shoot your weapons. (No mention that the railgun needs to recharge, or what the indicator is for that, or that your missile supply is very limited.) Then a few more cycles of flying/auto-pause to tell you about the shield powerup (it's not an ability so much as a power you spend and have to pick up) and other powerups.

The tutorial totally breaks the user's flow, it doesn't give really enough time to get accustomed to how things work, it doesn't explain the HUD, it doesn't explain that shooting turns the multiplier down, and on top of everything else, the tutorial is unskippable.

Also, yeah, the aiming IMO should be more forgiving.

But on the "I wish it was more like PDO" side: I really think it would have been better that way:

- Remove or severely tone down the part about player movement via left analog.
- then, having enemy projectiles that you could shoot down would put offense and defense both on the right thumbstick and reduce cognitive load.
- if the player char can move into the center of the screen, turn her to 25% opaque or less so the user can see what she'd otherwise be blocking.
- different enemies already respond better or worse to different attack types. Don't make the missile ammo so limited. In fact, just put it on a recharge system like the railgun.
- enemies shouldn't fly in from behind without more warning, and they definitely shouldn't fly right into the player char from behind with no warning.
- they should work on better colour coding of enemies and enemy projectiles.

Bought and played through this recently, because I love rail shooters. It wasn't bad, but lack of variety in the enemies meant the stages all pretty much felt the same. A few of the boss fights were rather enjoyable, but the majority were chock full of attacks that wouldn't hit you unless you were asleep.

mattfabb

Banned
I have been playing through Yar's again after playing Child of Eden,

It woul dbe nice to get some more rail shooters, they are such an underrepresented genre,

For what it does, Yar's is the best pure on-rail shooter on xbla IMO. I would love to get something similar...or a new PD!

Sysgen

Obligatory sorry for the bump but I just picked this up from Gamersgate for $1.99. It's definitely worth $2. Very colorful. At first I was put off by the control scheme. I think it requires more coordination than usual independently controlling Yar and the reticule. Using a 360 controller but cannot figure out how to fire this cannon? If anyone knows please share.

Also on startup had a black screen but traced this to security permissions in the game's win32 directory.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sysgen said:
Obligatory sorry for the bump but I just picked this up from Gamersgate for $1.99. It's definitely worth $2. Very colorful. At first I was put off by the control scheme. I think it requires more coordination than usual independently controlling Yar and the reticule. Using a 360 controller but cannot figure out how to fire this cannon? If anyone knows please share.

Also on startup had a black screen but traced this to security permissions in the game's win32 directory.

If it ever hits such a price on XBLA, It'll be a no-brainer for me. I really like it, but it's one of those "Buy it, when it has these issues, or buy something else, that DOESN'T have these issues, for the same price?" kinda deals. I'd be happy to get it on sale for even 400 pts...

Marvie_3

Banned
SAB CA said:
If it ever hits such a price on XBLA, It'll be a no-brainer for me. I really like it, but it's one of those "Buy it, when it has these issues, or buy something else, that DOESN'T have these issues, for the same price?" kinda deals. I'd be happy to get it on sale for even 400 pts...
That's what I'm waiting for. I liked the demo but I just don't feel like dropping 800 points on it.

Top Bottom