• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

Seda

Final-Fantasy-IV-The-Complete-Collection-Boxart.jpg

Title: Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection
Developer: Square Enix
Platform: Sony Playstation Portable System (UMD & PSN)
Genre: Turn-based RPG
MSRP/RRP: $29.99, £39.99
Official Site: na.square-enix.com/ff4complete/

Release Dates
US: April 19th, 2011
EU: April 21th, 2011
AU: April 28th, 2011
Canada: April 30th?

Ratings
ESRB: 10+
PEGI: 12+
OFLC: PG

Boxart

FF4PSP_NA_Boxart.PNG

Bonus

Purchase a first-run copy of FINAL FANTASY IV The Complete Collection to receive these exclusive bonus items:

-A download code available only to customers of FINAL FANTASY IV The Complete Collection for two bonus costumes for Cecil in DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY 012 [duodecim]
FFIVTCCCecilDissidiaCostumes_thumb.png

-A set of exclusive trading cards featuring Cecil, Rosa, Kain, Rydia, and Edge
FFIVTCCTradingCards_thumb.jpg

-Exclusive screen-cleaning cloth decorated with FINAL FANTASY IV character design (EU Only?)

EU Special Edition
FFIV.jpg

In addition to the first-run copy bonus, the special edition of the game features a similar fold-out box to DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY, as you can see above, and contains a selection of high quality art cards.

About the Game
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection has three stories – Final Fantasy IV, The After Years, and an all new Interlude episode that takes place in between.

After 20 years, Final Fantasy IV and its acclaimed sequel, The After Years, are now combined into one package as the ultimate role-playing game experience. A cast of unforgettable characters fight through one of the grandest stories ever told with stunning new graphics, a re-arranged, award-winning soundtrack, and bonus game features that provide the absolute Final Fantasy IV experience. The all-new Interlude connects FINAL FANTASY IV and The After Years across the decades that separate them. Overseen by Takashi Tokita, lead designer and scenario writer for the original FINAL FANTASY IV on the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo Entertainment System, the Interlude sets the stage for the events of The After Years while tying them directly to the end of FINAL FANTASY IV. Experience vibrant visuals and unforgettable melodies - includes all-new 2-D graphics designed for the PSP system's 16:9 format. Also includes a new arrangement of one of the most acclaimed video game soundtracks of all time!

Features

-The definitive version of one of gaming's greatest sagas.

-An all-new FINAL FANTASY IV Interlude game between FINAL FANTASY IV and The After Years that binds the two narratives together.

-High definition graphical updates for both FINAL FANTASY IV and The After Years.

-Play the game in the original Japanese, an updated English translation or French.

-Choose between the original soundtrack or a rearranged version of the timeless compositions of Nobuo Uematsu.

-View an exclusive collection of concept and design art by the famed artist Yoshitaka Amano.

-Brand new CGI movie intros for both FINAL FANTASY IV and The After Years.

-Players can choose any of the three storylines to play as soon as they unwrap the PSP game.

-Enjoy the complete, uncensored FINAL FANTASY IV experience for the first time in North America - no altered graphics, scenarios, or dialogue.

Videos
IGN Video Review (YouTube mirror)
Announcement Trailer
Gametrailers

Reviews
PS Focus- 90/100
PSX Extreme- 9/10
IGN- 9/10
Gametrailers- 8.5/10
1UP- B-
Game Informer - 85/100
Gamespot- 8/10
GamesRadar- 8/10
RPGamer- 3.5/5
Gamepro - 3/5
Playstation: The Official Magazine- 5/10

Screenshots and Artwork

15URB.jpg
JM3Bd.jpg

88551120110413_045923_0_big.jpg
88551120110413_045923_1_big.jpg
88551120110413_045923_2_big.jpg
88551120110413_045923_3_big.jpg
88551120110413_045923_4_big.jpg
88551120110413_045924_6_big.jpg
88551120110413_045924_10_big.jpg
88551120110413_045926_22_big.jpg

-Notes-
-The game is essentially a enhanced port of the EU version of FFIV Advance.
-Included are the dungeon at Mt. Ordeals, and the Lunar Trials in the post-game from FFIV Advance, as well as party swapping.
-The PSP version has all the EU Advance fixes not present in the NA version of FFIV Advance, for example, harps, whips, boomerangs, and bows all do full damage from the back row.
-This also means that the inventory item limit is in place (unlike the DS version). Get to the Fat Chocobo!
-Extra event scenes made for the Nintendo DS remake are not included in the game, nor does this game have the augment system.

-Sources-
na.square-enix.com/ff4complete/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/615911-final-fantasy-iv-the-complete-collection
http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen40587_final-fantasy-iv-complete-collection-se-montre-a-j-9.html
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/1...es-with-dissidia-012-dlc-and-amano-art-cards/
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...inal-fantasy-iv-the-complete-collection-rpgs/

I don't like the new sprites for the characters but the monsters look OMG hot.

Still not sure if I'll buy day one, but I am keeping an eye.

RpgN

Looks great. I finished the DS version but it looks unique enough in 2D that I want to play through it again, plus having not played the after years and the interlude is a nice extra. Time to get rid of the GBA version!

Augemitbutter said:
very sexy. the only way to remake classic FF imo :)
I agree wholeheartedly. I hope V and VI (but mostly VI) get remakes akin to this.

Making the SNES soundtrack available is also a pretty awesome addition.

Neil

Does The After Years still play like the it does on the Wii? As in, episodic and you can choose which to play in whatever order you choose, or is it more of a cohesive game?

Also, is there any information on the 'interlude game'?

I have this pre-ordered, can't believe I'm going to own 5 versions of the same game :|

PumpkinPie said:
I don't like the sprites at all, too clean looking IMO...I think it ends up looking like a cheap flash game.
The "clean" sprite look is fucking awesome. The DS version looks like poo poo compared to this. I hope they do a FFVI remake akin to this.

Eaten By A Grue said:
The "clean" sprite look is fucking awesome. The DS version looks like poo poo compared to this. I hope they do a FFVI remake akin to this.
I like the clean look too, I just think the character sprites look cheap compared to everything else.

Seda

Neil said:
Does The After Years still play like the it does on the Wii? As in, episodic and you can choose which to play in whatever order you choose, or is it more of a cohesive game?

Also, is there any information on the 'interlude game'?

From Siliconera
This new storyline takes place one year after the events in Final Fantasy IV and connects the original game with Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

Cid and Cecil race in their airships from Baron to the restored Damcyan Castle. Instead of corpses, the party is greeted with living guards. Palom, Porom, and Yang are already waiting in the throne room where Edward makes a speech.

Cecil and Rosa start out around level 30 in the Interlude. Enemies are said to be on par with the later episodes of The After Years. While combat was revised for the sequel, Final Fantasy IV’s Interlude is based on the Super Nintendo version. That means no new abilities or Band system.

The "Interlude" is longer than the average episode in The After Years.

Was advertised at 15 hours long, but seems to be actually about 4.

Apenheul

I might pick this up, I didn't get the After Years on WiiWare because it seemed expensive to get the complete package. Not sure when though, I still have a Final Fantasy burnout.

Hesemonni

Banned
Haven't they already confirmed similar remake for V, atleast in Japan? I support these games wholeheartedly and I wish they had redone III also because I can't stand the way it looks on the DS. Anyway, yet one down until the inevitable VI!

Maxim726X

I did a few of the After Years missions- They run a few hours apiece. When you put them all together it could be pretty substantial.

None of the websites are showing the cards that you have in the OP- I guess it isn't a preorder bonus then?

linkboy

Give me V and VI with this engine and I will be estatic. I don't care if its for the PSP or 3DS, I just want those games.

Seda

Maxim726X said:
I did a few of the After Years missions- They run a few hours apiece. When you put them all together it could be pretty substantial.

None of the websites are showing the cards that you have in the OP- I guess it isn't a preorder bonus then?

The Trading Cards are in all first-run copies.

The Art Cards are in the EU special edition.

Also, I couldn't find any concrete information on EU pricing outside of the UK.

ShaneB

Agree with the sentiment that this is the proper way to do a remake. Those sprites are gorgeous, timeless art. this game will still look beautiful for years to come.

Desi

PumpkinPie said:
I don't like the sprites at all, too clean looking IMO...I think it ends up looking like a cheap flash game.
I got your back dude. Looks like some cheap MMO ad at the bottom of the page.

edit: Just to add, I like the backgrounds.

Emitan

Damn, I wish I wasn't broke right now so I could get this.
And let it sit on my Memory Stick next to all the other RPGs I'll never finish.

depward

Goddamnit... I guess I'm going to have to quad-dip, won't I? Love the graphical upgrade and FFIV is one of my favs.

Maxim726X

Seda said:
The Trading Cards are in all first-run copies.

The Art Cards are in the EU special edition.

Also, I couldn't find any concrete information on EU pricing outside of the UK.

You read my mind- That was going to be my next question.

It's my favorite FF so I would spend a little extra to get the EU extras.

Teknoman

The review just made the wait harder, especially since FFIV is my favorite of the entire series. The music, story, characters, going to THE MOON, everything.

aerofx said:
was FF 3 (VI) ever remade?

Nope. Expect either 3DS or PSP2 at this point.

EDIT: I still like FFIV DS for the simple fact that it's Amano art come to life. And i'm a sucker for FF tactics/XII style voice acting.

marcurius

Got this one preordered and very much looking forward to playing it, I don't think I ever finished FFIV before so now seems like a good time.

I'm not crazy about the new graphics judging from the screens, but I echo the opinion that it'll likely look much better on the PSP and in motion. Then again, I'm a total sucker for 16-bit era pixel graphics, so we'll see.

The game costs 349 SEK here in Sweden, which is about ~£33.

I don't think being "clean" is what makes the sprites look cheap. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as much as I love sprites, I hate the look of these FF remakes. I dug FF Origin's style, but the PSP remakes and on I find repulsive.

These screens in particularly remind me of an RPG Maker game. It's disappointing to me, as I love FFI-IV. :-/

marcurius

Anonymous Tipster said:
I don't think being "clean" is what makes the sprites look cheap. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as much as I love sprites, I hate the look of these FF remakes. I dug FF Origin's style, but the PSP remakes and on I find repulsive.

These screens in particularly remind me of an RPG Maker game. It's disappointing to me, as I love FFI-IV. :-/
Agreed, it really does have an RPG Maker feel to it.

Micius

Wasn't the difficulty of this version toned down significantly, and there was no difficulty selection or anything to get the hardtype experience? That was my main gripe, shouldn't have been hard to implement a selection option so you can choose which difficulty to play the game at, especially considering the fact that I've read that as it is the game is somewhat on the easy side. Kind of hard to accept the idea that this is the definitive version of the game with the nerfed gameplay.

Maxim726X

Micius said:
Wasn't the difficulty of this version toned down significantly, and there was no difficulty selection or anything to get the hardtype experience? That was my main gripe, shouldn't have been hard to implement a selection option so you can choose which difficulty to play the game at, especially considering the fact that I've read that as it is the game is somewhat on the easy side. Kind of hard to accept the idea that this is the definitive version of the game with the nerfed gameplay.

From what I've seen, the enemies AT is slowed down significantly... So it seems like that would make it much easier.

Mainly playing the game for the extra content- I don't expect it to be particularly challenging.

Micius said:
If this had the DS version's gameplay it'd have been the definitive version, as it stands there's no clear definitive version as all versions have their unique perks.

rataven

Preordered! I've grown fonder of IV over the years and, having passed on TAY before, will make this fun to play through with the bonus of fresh material. Really excited.

Also, the Cecil Dissidia DLC is pretty boss. Hope they come out with some Kain goodness too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Darn, I wanted to make the OP and was about to post it tonight. :p

Oh well, hyped for it.

Xena

Must... resist... buying... yet... another... copy... of Final Fantasy IV...

(this version looks gorgeous)

Can you choose which game you want to play? I want to start with Interlude and then play After Years.

Also, is there a (short) summary for FFIV?

Seda

Notorious_Roy said:
Can you choose which game you want to play? I want to start with Interlude and then play After Years.

Also, is there a (short) summary for FFIV?

-Players can choose any of the three storylines to play.

Have they retranslated the game since the GBA release? I only ever played the DS game in Japanese so I don't know if they used the GBA script or redid it again. I ask because on the website for this release it says "Play the game in the original Japanese, an updated English translation or French!". Got me thinking it would be crazy if they retranslated it for the DS release and then did it AGAIN for this one.

Top Bottom