• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Conduit 2
Wii · Sega

Release
North America: April 19, 2011 · Europe: April 21, 2011 · Australia: April 21, 2011

Supports
Wii Remote + Nunchuk · Wii MotionPlus · Classic Controller · Classic Controller Pro · PDP Headbanger Headset

Reviews
MetaCritic: 70 · GameTrailers: 79 · Game Informer: 60 · IGN: 75 · Nintendo Power: 75

Links
High Voltage Software official website · SEGA Games Conduit 2 official website

boiled goose

good with gravy
unfortunate that this is releasing when the wii is so dead. i was one of the few on gaf that enjoyed the first game for what it was. i might get this one sometime down the line. backlog to big atm and need to get through some recent releases first.

Disguises

Hmm...think I might read some reviews later then decide whether or not to get it. I enjoyed the first one a lot more than I thought I would. It's still one of my most played Wii games even today.

Mael

Andrex said:
Conduit 2
Wii · Sega

Release
North America: April 19, 2011 · Europe: April 21, 2011 · Australia: April 21, 2011

Supports
Wii Remote + Nunchuk · Wii MotionPlus · Classic Controller · Classic Controller Pro · PDP Headbanger Headset

Reviews
MetaCritic: 70 · GameTrailers: 79 · Game Informer: 60 · IGN: 75 · Nintendo Power: 75

Links
High Voltage Software official website · SEGA Games Conduit 2 official website

Not bad...
Huh can you add whether or not it has splitscreens or not and all that kind of data?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mael said:
Not bad...
Huh can you add whether or not it has splitscreens or not and all that kind of data?

It has split screen multiplayer. Up to four players I think, and also has mode that allows you and a friend to defend against waves of enemies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It has splitscreen multiplayer as well as online multiplayer. And there's co-op.

I picked up my pre-order for this before I went to work but I haven't had a chance to play it. Just popped it in my Wii when I got home and set up my controls the way I had them for T-Con 1. I really enjoyed the first one, though, so hopefully the second one will be fun when I get a chance to play it, too.

Mael

EatChildren said:
It has split screen multiplayer. Up to four players I think, and also has mode that allows you and a friend to defend against waves of enemies.

Well I guess I'll have to check it out, if they didn't butcher what they did already it sure look like fun.
I'd disregard the reviews personally after the crap they put on Goldeneye, I've been somewhat trained in avoiding their opinions anyway.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
To Any Gaffers who own/played the game:

Well compared to Conduit 1 how does the game hold up?

is online anygood?

Effect

Still debating if I should open this. Finished up the first Conduit 1 finally. It was an okay game. Especially after playing GoldenEye 007 Wii. I should have finished it before playing that for sure. I did like the story but it's presentation could have been better. If things are improved in all aspects from the first game great. However I think I might have watch some people playing the single player through the first two levels just to get a feel of just how things have changed.

Edit: Found the first hour uploaded to Youtube.
http://youtu.be/CMPmqeeYf4o

Zenith

Banned
Always-honest said:
I wonder what these guys will do with the Wii2. They're very ambitious.

Fail spectactularly. Their schtick was getting some extra technical prowess on a low-spec platform where no one else was making an effort. Now that 3rd parties will be able to use their PS360 teams and assets they'll get creamed.

I knew I felt a familiarity.

The Conduit is The Event of video games.

They're both things trying to capture a certain feel (big HD FPS games for The Conduit, 24 and Lost for The Event) on a dying platform (Wii, NBC [yeah, I said it]) and they just don't live up to the things they want to emulate no matter how hard they try.

I feel bad because I was really excited for the first Conduit. I'll pick it up when its dirt cheap. It's a good strategy for gaming.

Effect

Zenith said:
Fail spectactularly. Their schtick was getting some extra technical prowess on a low-spec platform where no one else was making an effort. Now that 3rd parties will be able to use their PS360 teams and assets they'll get creamed.

Unless they get funding from a big publisher or one of the big companies buys them. I hope they do. I honestly appreciate their effort. I still wish Nintendo had stepped in with them and maybe at least matched them with Retro Studios. They will get overshadowed on the new console unfortunately and I hope they don't . So many FPS copy the Call of Duty format. Conduit and Conduit 2 (from looking at multiplayer videos) remind me more of Halo by comparison. I want to see more of that and if they get boxed out that won't happen I'm afraid.

Relax.MX said:
I guess is very good..for the Wii standar...

Re-open my wii for the game? no

I re-open it all the time. Love re-opening the crap outta my Wii.

Anyway: Can't over-emphasize how few fucks Sega gives, when they choose to release Conduit 2 the same day as MK9 and Portal. I was looking forward to the Conduit for a long time, but will probably HAVE to get it in a bargin bin, because I'm having too much fun with MK at the moment.

I just read that in multi-player you can't choose what kind of match type you want (capture the flag,free for all, etc.) If that's true, then that's one of the worst design choices I've ever heard of.

You know, I made a comment about how stupid it is that they'd release it the same day as MK, Portal, SOCOM, and FFIV...but then when you think about it...who are they catering it to? They want to get the shooter fan to play the game and like it. Nobody's going to go out of their way to pick the game up alone, so maybe they figured that "hardcore player" would see it there when they were picking up one of the other games. That type of gamer spends so much money as it is, they're bound to pick up SOMETHING between the four other games...so for a game in it's position, its kinda perfect if you think about it.

Hey, an OP that doesn't fill up the first page with (mostly) useless info like what the guns are. I like. And I'm being serious.

Mockingbird said:
I just read that in multi-player you can't choose what kind of match type you want (capture the flag,free for all, etc.) If that's true, then that's one of the worst design choices I've ever heard of.

Super match making? I'm always kind of afraid this will happen in more games if this is true. We already can't choose which level we want, soon we may not get to choose game types.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mockingbird said:

That would make Zero Sense at all

herod

Criminal Upper said:
Anyway: Can't over-emphasize how few fucks Sega gives, when they choose to release Conduit 2 the same day as MK9 and Portal. I was looking forward to the Conduit for a long time, but will probably HAVE to get it in a bargin bin, because I'm having too much fun with MK at the moment.

To me it says a lot about Conduit 2 that you'd rather get MK instead of it.

Effect said:
Still debating if I should open this. Finished up the first Conduit 1 finally. It was an okay game. Especially after playing GoldenEye 007 Wii. I should have finished it before playing that for sure. I did like the story but it's presentation could have been better. If things are improved in all aspects from the first game great. However I think I might have watch some people playing the single player through the first two levels just to get a feel of just how things have changed.

Edit: Found the first hour uploaded to Youtube.
http://youtu.be/CMPmqeeYf4o

that looks good. I felt very dizzy while playing the first game. I do not fill that way in any other fps.

ahFLO.jpg

PatmanBegins

Neo Member
Zenith said:

It's true that they're very ambitious and talented on a technical level (at least with regard to the Wii -- never got to see what would come of Grinder on PS360), but man, their art and gameplay design is so unappealing. It's very 90s, but in a bad sense. The best you can say about their games is that they include a lot of established features from other games, only they're not implemented as well.

It's notable because no one else bothers to do something remotely like Halo on the Wii. That said, the first Conduit was not bad, and I do appreciate how good the controls were, along with the customization. It was innovative in that sense. But man, that art design was bad. From the enemies to the levels. And the storyline is worse than 90s games like Perfect Dark.

It sounds like I hated it, but I still appreciate the effort they put into it, and I am still going to give Conduit 2 a shot. But during the next gen, they really need to hire some new artists among other things, otherwise your prophecy is going to ring true.

Zenith said:
not sure, maybe they'll finally feel free to do what they're really capable of. And not helt back by hardware limitations.

Mael

Always-honest said:
not sure, maybe they'll finally feel free to do what they're really capable of. And not helt back by hardware limitations.

You certainly realize that whatever platform they're on they have to deal with hardware limitations, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PetriP-TNT said:
I got a gut feeling this one is sent to die. I am surprised if it even pops up in the top-20 anywhere

Maybe Euroland, weird things are always popping up in the top 20 over there.

Boerseun

Banned
I liked the first game and will be picking this up in the near future.

Mods please merge this thread with this one and put OT in the title. We're already carrying on a hearty conversation over there.

Effect

Mockingbird said:

Well decided to keep the game. Tired of my lack of making a decision I just opened it while at work. Here's a scan of what the manual says on the multiplayer section.

Online.jpg

Here's a youtube video I came across looking at the online section.

http://youtu.be/KCdyOulqfWU

Edit 1:

For main playslist modes seem to be the following.

Big Team Grab Bag - A collection of team games. 12 Player max game size.
Free for All Grab Bag - Free for all objective-based and deathmatch games. 8 player max game size.
Hardcore Team Games - Team deathmatch and basic objective games with no radar and no lock-on. 8 Player max game size.
Hardcore Free For All - Pure deathmatch with no radar and no lock-on. 6 Player max game size.

Edit: 2

It's an interesting design decision. It makes it unique at least. The online experience is going to be different then other FPS since you aren't doing the same thing over and over again. Though the lack of choice is something I'm still iffy about. It will keep the online fresh since you are forced to play different modes and you might not know which one is next.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if you had more control in custom games where you can invite people.

Edit: 3

Actually not that unique. Doesn't Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 have a similar mode where the conditions of the match change after a while. From deathmatch to capture to kill search and destory, etc?

Effect

Okay looking more at the video it does look like modes are tied directly to the maps. Should be interesting if the maps were designed with certain modes in mind. I would think that would make for a better play experience instead of just having all maps be used for all the modes the way CoD has it.

You have a choice to vote on maps/modes after a match as well. No Random option it seems.

When clicking on a player's name in the lobby you have these options.
- Mute All
- View Profile
- Send Rival Request
- Report Player
- Close

Maps also seem big with several levels to them with indoor areas.

Agent X

amtentori said:
unfortunate that this is releasing when the wii is so dead. i was one of the few on gaf that enjoyed the first game for what it was. i might get this one sometime down the line. backlog to big atm and need to get through some recent releases first.

Same here. I enjoyed the first game as well, but have a lot of other games on my plate right now. I'll probably nab it at some point in the future.

EDarkness

I got my copy a few minutes ago, and I'm gonna give it a shot then post some impressions. Seems to be no buzz with this game whatsoever. Either way, I enjoyed the first game, and I'm looking forward to trying this one as well.

HeySeuss

Fuck yeah I just won this game from my local radio station for being the 9th caller! I wanted this game but I was planning on waiting for a price drop but free works!

Effect

Single player is significantly better then the first game I feel. Still linear, what FPS isn't but the presentation is a ton better. The areas are more open and varied and so far it looks like there are multiple paths at times (at least in the area I'm in now) and it does take some time to get through the levels. There are multiple objectives that lead into one another. I think I'm on mission

The ASE acts more like Samus' visor in the Metroid Prime series now. A nice bit of scannable objects, documents, blue prints (which unlock weapons in multiplayer so you don't have to buy them), etc. You get money for scanning items that can be used in mulitplayer. The scanned objects give entries ala Metroid Prime as well and are broken up into various categories.

Did High Voltage have some contest where people send in pictures to get them into the game? Some of the missing persons documents have pictures of real people. If they did something like they would be a good place to put them.

The game looks great. I need to go back and finish up Goldeneye 007 to determine which of the two look better. The game's frame rate seems to be locked at 30 or maybe a bit higher most of the time. There are moments where it noticeably changes (gets higher and hits 60 I think or something like that) and then goes back to normal. I had that happen to me a LOT in Infamous which is why I recognized it. 3v3 (assuming 6 player FFA too) in multiplayer constantly has a higher frame rate as well.

They did a good job with the character models, especially the enemy armors. Though I'd like to see more of Andromeda. :)

I've done some online play but not sure how to properly word what I feel about it just yet. It's mostly positive for the most part.

Hiltz

Thanks for the impressions. Based on the few reviews, it appears that the framerate is less stable in the single player and more consistent in the multiplayer.

I believe High Voltage Software did have a contest where the winners get their faces posted around various parts of the game's environments.

Effect

Hiltz said:
Thanks for the impressions. Based on the few reviews, it appears that the framerate is less stable in the single player and more consistent in the multiplayer.

I believe High Voltage Software did have a contest where the winners get their faces posted around various parts of the game's environments.

You're welcome.

Not sure unstable is the word I'd use. At least not in a negative context. It's solid and I haven't experienced any slow down during the action but if you end up in a room with nothing in it but you and maybe some rubble it increases. It jumps. Not to say what happens is a bad thing it's just that it's noticeable. When I played Infamous, if I looked away from the city near the water and ran around the frame rate would jump significantly but during normal play things were still fine.

The enemy AI is decent. Game starts on "Guarded" which is one just above the lowest setting but I increased it to "Elevated which might be considered "Normal". Interesting to see enemies flipping over tables or soda machines for cover. Trying to flank you. Some of the more armored enemies will simply rush to melee you or hit you with shotguns at point blank range. These are pain to take down. It's nice to see their armor get shot up and glow due to being constantly fired up upon. Then there are the snipers that seem to acquire you pretty quickly if you get to close to their area. Curious as to how aggressive they'll give on the highest settings. Also no infinite spawning either. Once you clear an area it's cleared. I was glad this was the case in GoldenEye and I'm glad it's the case here. Though there are still the Drudge wall pods you have to take out. Those are still annoying. Not just one on the wall but there could be 4 or 5 in the area you have to take out. Rushing into areas simply seem like an easy way to die. Though being catious has still gotten me killed a few times. Charged shots hurt.

The game I feel deserves to do well. It's a far better game then the original in every way sans the lack of voice acting from Keven Sorbo. It's worth a gamers time.

Top Bottom