• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 |OT|

EDarkness

I played some multiplayer games and then jumped into single player. Right now they have double EXP for those who purchased the game. There are already level 20+ folks out there and they're hard as hell to kill with my little level 4 character. Still, it was fun, but dying sucks because the wait time to respawn takes a while. Unless some revives you. I don't have a headset, so I haven't been able to try that out. Still, it was fun, but I really suck at multiplayer FPS games, so I'm not really one to judge. It's smooth, fast, and pretty fun so far.

The single player is cool for the most part. I had to stop because I have to go to work, but also because I reached a point where I'm stuck and can't go any further and I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if there's something I'm supposed to do. The one thing I don't like is the voice of Ford. Ugh. Couldn't they get someone closer to the original guy? I just want to mute him. The overall story flow is better than the first game and the addition of cutscenes is nice. I'm only on the first mission, so I can't say much more than that. I'll definitely be jumping back into it when I get back from work.

It's a good game so far, and in many ways better than the first.

Edit: I fraggin' love the smoothness of the pointer in this game. After playing Black Ops yesterday, I can see why people would want to use the classic controller. It's nice and smooth in the Conduit 2.

MiniDitka

Effect said:
The game looks great. I need to go back and finish up Goldeneye 007 to determine which of the two look better.
Conduit 2 is probably using more effects but overall I think Goldeneye is the better looking game.

EDarkness said:
The single player is cool for the most part. I had to stop because I have to go to work, but also because I reached a point where I'm stuck and can't go any further and I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if there's something I'm supposed to do.
Where at because I had two glitches in the first level which caused me to restart both times.

Dang this is out already?

The story looks ridiculous and I'll never play Wii online, but for some reason I respect these guys.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lonely1 said:
How many people are playing online? Is it hard to find a game?

Ronnree I am So Ronree... Sorry lol

I am interested in this as well as doubt I will stick to SP much

RobbieNick

MiniDitka said:
Where at because I had two glitches in the first level which caused me to restart both times.

Me too. Once, it just froze up and I had to reset. (Luckily, it saves at every checkpoint.) Also, I had a door where the knob kept turning but it wouldn't open. I had to back up a bit then try the door again to work.

Ford sounds like a retarded Duke Nuk'em. Seriously, this guy sounds so dumb you just want to punch him.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My Copy is on Dispatch what with bank Holiday Weekend and all will most likely get it on Tuesday....

EDarkness

jufonuk said:
Ronnree I am So Ronree... Sorry lol

I am interested in this as well as doubt I will stick to SP much

From my experience, there are a ton of people playing online. I had no problem finding 6v6 matches.

I'm stuck on the first level after the third switch. The room with the reactor going crazy has a door that opens after I flip the switch. I go through that door, and then another door, and that leads me outside. Once I go outside, the door I came out of locks, but there is no way to go. Both paths are blocked and there is no way to open either the door I went through, or the door leading to a flight of stairs. I wondered if I was supposed to open the door when I first went through that area. I turned the game off, and I'm gonna try again in a few minutes.

M3d10n

Effect said:
Edit: Found the first hour uploaded to Youtube.
http://youtu.be/CMPmqeeYf4o
Looks good, but I cannot endure watching that guy fight that first boss anymore. Even after taking 1/3rd of the boss' life, he still didn't realize where its ridiculously obvious weakpoint is and neither that shooting elsewhere is useless. I just keep screaming at the screen "not there, moron!".

Effect

I've read about some having a glitch in the first mission but I never came across anything like it. I got turned around once or twice about which direction I was suppose to go but that was it. Didn't have to reload or anything.

Backflip

EDarkness said:
I'm stuck on the first level after the third switch. The room with the reactor going crazy has a door that opens after I flip the switch. I go through that door, and then another door, and that leads me outside. Once I go outside, the door I came out of locks, but there is no way to go. Both paths are blocked and there is no way to open either the door I went through, or the door leading to a flight of stairs. I wondered if I was supposed to open the door when I first went through that area. I turned the game off, and I'm gonna try again in a few minutes.

I've had that problem on three different versions of the game (I'm reviewing the game for a French site). I had to create a new game file and start the game from the beginning in order to get beyond that part (the fence is not supposed to be there). I've been told that developers are currently trying to recreate that glitch.

Hiltz

Jon St. John is doing the voice acting for Michael Ford this time. He's best known for being the voice of Duke Nukem.

Backflip

Hiltz said:
Jon St. John is doing the voice acting for Michael Ford this time. He's best known for being the voice of Duke Nukem.

Believe me, you realize that as soon as Ford starts talking...

MiniDitka

EDarkness said:
Yep, same thing that happened to me and I had to restart from the checkpoint.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Offical Nintendo magazine UK gave it 84%

Conduit 2 is a huge improvement over the original game. It's still not without its problems, such as its awkward controls and the B-movie production values but it's still well worth a look if you're a fan of first-person shooters.

link

RobbieNick

Hiltz said:

That makes sense. He sounds like Duke Nuke'm with a hint of stupid.

Online is not working well for me. I keep getting kicked out before a match even begins and the one I did manage to join had us falling to our deaths over and over.

OMG! I just came around the corner to find an enemy in a "T-Pose" only to go into animation when I got close enough. XD

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally picked it up. Had it preordered for ages, but today was the first time I was able to get back into the city to pick it up. Game runs quite well from HDD, and when accessing the online multiplayer, I was surprised to be prompted to download a mandatory update. Nice to see that they don't have to rely on Nintendo releasing IOS patches to fix problems! Also had no problems downloading and applying the patch from HDD. Look forward to digging into it this weekend.

EDarkness

Backflip said:
I've had that problem on three different versions of the game (I'm reviewing the game for a French site). I had to create a new game file and start the game from the beginning in order to get beyond that part (the fence is not supposed to be there). I've been told that developers are currently trying to recreate that glitch.

Apparently they didn't find it because it's still there in the final version. I really don't want to have to start the level over from the beginning....

Oh. That makes a lot of sense. I really wish they would have gotten someone else, he sounds terrible as Ford.

Effect

EDarkness said:
Apparently they didn't find it because it's still there in the final version. I really don't want to have to start the level over from the beginning....

Oh. That makes a lot of sense. I really wish they would have gotten someone else, he sounds terrible as Ford.

I heard you just had to restart the game and load from the last checkpoint if you encountered this problem. Not completely restart the level. I guess I'll consider myself lucky. Though when I got to the area I think this happens I went up and back down the stairs. So if it was glitched I just didn't noticed and it fixed itself.

I wish they had gotten someone else for the voice as well. However I've gotten used to it.

Backflip

Effect said:
I heard you just had to restart the game and load from the last checkpoint if you encountered this problem. Not completely restart the level. I guess I'll consider myself lucky. Though when I got to the area I think this happens I went up and back down the stairs. So if it was glitched I just didn't noticed and it fixed itself.

No, you have to restart from the beginning. Or at least, that's what I had to do to make it work. It was such a pain. I was in contact with people at SEGA for a couple of days while trying to find what was wrong with the game.

Was REALLY underwhelmed by the first game.

If I see enough positive impressions, I'll check it out, because I like supporting developers that try to make the most of the Wii situation.

EDarkness

Well, I downloaded the patch they put out to fix my problem, but now I can't move on with the next part. On top of that, the game has crashed on me two times already. Locked up the whole system and caused me to hard reset. Basically, I can't play the single player game at all and can't get past the first level. Doors that should be open are closed and I just can't move on. It's totally frustrating and I'm not sure what I need to do about it. Just about ready to give up playing this game.

This is definitely the buggiest game I've every played. How did they let this go live like this?

EDarkness

jufonuk said:
fuck my order is dispatching and this game sounds buggy as hell

Online play is awesome. I haven't had any problems with it at all, but the single player is a buggy mess. It's like they spent all the time working on the multiplayer stuff and totally forgot to test the single player game. I ended up having to start the game from scratch because one fix was leading to something else broken, so starting a new profile might be the better way to go. Ugh.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well the single player is not the reason i am getting it (if its good then thats a bonus), TBH if the multiplayer is..somewhere around COD Blops wii level (maps etc,Perks etc) with conduit 1 controls then I will be happy.

Goldeneye had the best SP I have played this Gen on a Wii (I dont play every FPS)
but the MP is a little lacking...

best Non-Wii FPS'e I have played so far are:
BF:BC2
Co-op is L4D
Single player the brief play of HL2

I haven't had any glitch issues yet in single player, which is all I've played so far *knocks on wooden desk*.

The game is a little annoying since my room setup requires some effort to play with the wiimote. I'm using CCPro, but holy hell, it's been about 4 years since I went KB/M and wiimote only and man do I suck with dual analog.

EDarkness

I started my game over and everything seems to be working now. Not sure how my save got corrupted, but I hope it doesn't happen again. Now that I've been able to move on with the game, I'm having a lot more fun and I fraggin' love the hive gun. :)

heringer

I liked that the first one had some kind of X-Files vibe to it. Now they went all out Halo and the game looks even more generic. :/

Also, holy shit Ford's voice acting is bad (judging from videos). How can they mess up this bad.

Effect

Ford's voice acting wasn't that great in the first game either to fair.

Overall I like the single player. It's been very fun. No glitches yet but don't doubt they're there for others. That does suck. However the online is a different story. I can appreciate that it's different from Call of Duty but there is one serious problem with it I'm finding. The matching. Not based on skill but just generally filling up teams. Now I understand online population could be part of the problem but there is no way the population is low enough that games can't be filled this early on.

Some games match very quickly while others can take several minutes. I end up sitting in the lobby seeing people trying to connect with a message saying "Waiting for Network". So it isn't my connection that's at issue here. Or I'll get a situation where the lobby simply won't fill at all after it goes through it's various phases it's suppose to go through to match people. Then after that a match can end up uneven because teams aren't filled up completely. Or if they started uneven they'll stay that way with no other players joining games. That seems to happen off and on though. I've joined some games while in progress so I know it does happen but I can go several games at times without seeing anyone join once I'm in and these are suppose to be 6v6 matches. I check the score/team roster often as I'm accustomed to doing so from other games and I can see that the numbers don't increase. People will drop but no one will replace them.

Population could be the issue but I also think it's their matching system as well. It simply isn't working. I find myself backing out of mulitplayer and going back in simply so I can get a full game. Perhaps I should try FFA where team population isn't as much of an issue.
I know there is someone from HVS in the GameSpot Conduit 2 forums. I mentioned it there so hopefully someone might see it. Might email them as well. The game is patchable so hopefully this can be addressed.

There was another patch when I logged in a few minutes ago. Not sure if it did anything since I haven't noticed any difference in performance from when I played the other day.

Effect

Lonely1 said:
He didn't said much, though.

This is true. The new voice sort of grows on you I feel. At least me. Not as annoying as I originally felt. Still annoying just not as much.

EDarkness

Effect said:
This is true. The new voice sort of grows on you I feel. At least me. Not as annoying as I originally felt. Still annoying just not as much.

It really hasn't grown on me. Every time he says something my ears hurt. I felt like the guy who played Ford in the first game was much better. The guy should stick to playing Duke Nukem.

As for the online issues, I haven't had that problem at all. I don't know what grab bag you use, but generally I pick Team and get connected fairly fast. Originally, I had the "see through the floor" glitch, but after the latest patch, it's been fine.

The new voice sound keeps reminding me of Duke Nukem for some reason, and I don't like Duke. I also have no idea whats going on story wise, and the framerate is hurting my eyes :^/

RobbieNick

The online modes are fun, but why is it always in a grab bag? I love Bounty Hunter mode in Deathmatch, but I only get to play it randomly. There's no choosing to go on some one's game. If you want a certain mode, you have to create it and wait for others to join your game.

scopelenz

Neo Member
I find it rather depressing that this game gets released at the same window as Portal 2 - clearly much of the hype and attention has been diverted away for Valve's new game. And the recent draught for the Wii hasnt really helped to boost this game's popularity either.

I have a feeling we will be seeing a rehash of this for the next gen Wii console; they could have done a better job with higher res graphics and a more intuitive control scheme.

Nessus

jufonuk said:
Well still hoping for the Grinder for the wii, or 3DS :D

That might be an idea.

I still don't like controlling FPS games on DS/3DS with the stylus, though.

If they offered a control mode where you could use the right buttons for movement and the analog stick for aiming, that might do it, like Turok on N64. Right shoulder for fire, left for grenades or whatever, d-pad for weapon/item selection, touch screen for jump if need be.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nessus said:
That might be an idea.

I still don't like controlling FPS games on DS/3DS with the stylus, though.

If they offered a control mode where you could use the right buttons for movement and the analog stick for aiming, that might do it, like Turok on N64. Right shoulder for fire, left for grenades or whatever, d-pad for weapon/item selection, touch screen for jump if need be.

then the weapsons melee could be shaking the 3DS and bingo sorted.. if that idoe works well on an Apple machien don see why it can't work on the 3ds or like stylus controls to attack?

Haunted

Neuromancer said:
ahFLO.jpg
That was basically my reaction seeing the OP, yes.

Haunted

heringer said:
I liked that the first one had some kind of X-Files vibe to it. Now they went all out Halo and the game looks even more generic. :/

Also, holy shit Ford's voice acting is bad (judging from videos). How can they mess up this bad.
They dropped the [semi-]serious X-files vibe for just Duke Nukem/Serious Sam zaniness. There's a reason they chose St. Jon for the role, you know.

M74

I'm surprised people don't like that they brought in the Duke. I figured more people would appreciate the whole not taking themselves too seriously thing. It's just a little jarring at first because the sequel doesn't feel like a continuation of the first game. This is not the way you establish a series, but I wish they had gone this route in the first game.

That's kinda how High Voltage works, it's like:

"People didn't like Michael Ford cuz he's kinda a generic sounding straight man? Well...hmm...let's see..."

"LET'S CHANGE HIS VOICE TO DUKE NUKEM! HE'S ALL CHARISMATIC AND FUNNY AND STUFF."

Top Bottom