• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 |OT|

rpmurphy

RobbieNick said:
The online modes are fun, but why is it always in a grab bag? I love Bounty Hunter mode in Deathmatch, but I only get to play it randomly. There's no choosing to go on some one's game. If you want a certain mode, you have to create it and wait for others to join your game.
Aww, so they wholly changed the online mode? Like no more Marathon either?

How are the maps? They seem to look a lot more open, which is a pretty big departure from the first one where most were indoor environments (
Infirmary being the best, of course
).

Picked this up this morning and I'm having a lot of fun with single player. Make sure to connect to online multiplayer before you start the SP campaign to download all the updates. There are bugs that halt your progress and the update might resolve a few of them. Ran into this little treat early in the game(No spoilers and it's not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2OTAhUNfao

I concluded it was a bug about 15 minutes into being trapped in the same spot. Retrying from the checkpoint won't do anything. I downloaded the update and the door that was supposed to open did...yet the one right after that did not. Forced to rage quit and start from the beginning of the game I was able to pass that area with no problems.

Backflip

Chopper Dave said:
Picked this up this morning and I'm having a lot of fun with single player. Make sure to connect to online multiplayer before you start the SP campaign to download all the updates. There are bugs that halt your progress and the update might resolve a few of them. Ran into this little treat early in the game(No spoilers and it's not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2OTAhUNfao

I concluded it was a bug about 15 minutes into being trapped in the same spot. Retrying from the checkpoint won't do anything. I downloaded the update and the door that was supposed to open did...yet the one right after that did not. Forced to rage quit and start from the beginning of the game I was able to pass that area with no problems.

We've been talking about that bug and how to get past it for a while now...

Just finished the single player campaign. It definitely feels like The Conduit I know and remember in many respects but smarter AI and more creative enemy spawning make the experience a little less mindless and more bearable. I think I had the SCAR by my side at least 90% of the game with whatever secondary I found amusing at the time. There was just something really engaging about popping off head shots as fast as you can. It wasn't anything outstanding but I definitely had fun with it unlike the first Conduit and at the very least had the patience to finish it unlike COD Blops' garbage campaign.

One thing that really bothers me that I expected HVS of all developers to nail was the ADS controls. No customization at all!? My initial bounding box settings were very small and hip fire felt great but ADS was an uncontrollable mess with such a tight box. I would jerk the controls a little bit and my sights would float away so easy. I had a lower turning speed and a larger bounding box when ADS on COD and it felt great. It's a shame I cannot bring that over to the Conduit since other than ADS I can customize the controls so perfectly and precisely.

Backflip said:
We've been talking about that bug and how to get past it for a while now...
I didn't read anything marked as a spoiler. Good thing too or it would have totally spoiled that moment for me :p It's no big deal. Getting to that point again was painless and I didn't have a single problem after it.

Edit:
I can honestly say I laughed out loud at the ending. Space marine Abe Lincoln! It's not straight up dog time until he says so

Effect

Just finished up the single player as well. The game says it took me 8 and half hours. That's mainly with me playing on Elevated most of the time (which is the third difficulty setting). I died a lot near the end due to enemy placement. It's not like you were getting wave after wave. I think I kept rushing into areas to quickly. Though one area I had to drop the difficulty down. Didn't see any way of doing it. It was fun overall. Some issues with design here and there. Things that could be done differently next time, if there is a next time. I'm willing to play through it again. I had a good bit of fun with it and really isn't that the ultimate measuring stick when it comes to a game? If you had fun it overall and if you are willing to play it again?

The ending is interesting. Somewhat funny, a little bit wtf but I'm interested in where they think they can take this. Ending speculation.
I wonder if they were tapped because they were Presidents of the United States or became Presidents because they were tapped to be "Destroyers'. That is if they are that. Their armors could be something else. I sort of assumed they were all apart of that group or maybe just Washington and Lincoln. Who else to tap other then arguably the most powerful men in the world at their point in time (save some of the earlier Presidents). Though that wouldn't make them great fighters out in the field. So it's an interesting choice.
It's a weird ending to give after the final fight you just had. Though the second phase of that fight was somewhat cheap.

On the Conduit dialer I have three entries I think listed as Unknown. Does anyone else have those? If you use it to go back to past areas do you simply redo those areas or does it keep you going into the next areas?

Poyunch

There are some hidden areas that you'll have to find the coordinates for. The first and only one I found was in Washington D.C. Remember the trailer you have to go into to open the big door or something? There's a hatch that's open that you can climb down.

The level was just an online map filled with scannable items and respawning enemies.

I've only gotten to Siberia in the campaiqn. It's so much better than the first one. I wish I could pick what modes I could play. I really miss Marathon matches. Though forcing me to play more modes is probably a better thing since all I did in the first game were Marathon Matches. I don't like ASE basketball or the capture the flag mode. I love VIP and the mode where you have to destroy the other team's generator. Deathmatch doesn't pop up enough sadly.

Poyunch

Just beat the game.

Ending was abrupt and hilarious. I just laughed as soon as I saw Lincoln and Washington.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just had a half hour go of the game today on SP, it's not that bad but not as good as I hoped...too early to get impression overall...will have to play more to form final opinion

EDIT from what I have played so far (likely to change)
SP is Middling, it's like HVS had so many ideas and just threw them against the wall until they stuck. The game veers from everyone I love is dead, to "ahah I am Killonaire" in the same level, I don't mind tongue in cheek but stick to one or the other.
Graphics are excellent, frame rate smooth (so far), controls in the main are brilliant, shooting enemies is a little off as you don't get the Feed back from hits etc

Enemy AI is no where near the level of GE, but man fuck those little enemies from the first game all they do is rush you and hit you until you die. the main enemies just take pot shots at you and they do dive for cover but it doesn't have GE's level where they would toss grenades at you to flush you out , or come at you.. maybe its the difficulty level I am playing it on.

Level Design is much better than the first it's a bit old school but you know what I don't mind it.. I would say so far the levels feel tighter than say Black Ops, you don't feel like you are being funneled from set piece to set piece..(again this is from what I have played)

other parts of the game I like are the store and the way earn points from scanning.

Multi-player...well again kinda old school, but damn so far it's fun..better than GE, maybe behind Black-ops (again from what I have played)
shame you cannot select which specific mode to play in open matches, private matches have more options, again I like the way you can get points online and off , customize loadouts etc

Level Design on MP is chaotic, I agree with GAF in the main they need to get some level designers etc to tighten up the game..having to play through random modes and levels switches things up a bit, keeps all modes open. liking the revive button, glad they have voice chat though yet to try it and levels are so bunched up not sure you need it.

overall so far SP about 6-7 out of ten (will play to unlock Upgrades for SP)
MP online 8-9 out of ten (I am liking it so far, as I said better than GE, not up to Black Ops Levels)
split screen yet to play, haven't played horde mode yet
HVS if you reading this get some modders, Level Designers etc and get them to work on your next games..

you have the passion you just lack the polish..

jufonuk

not tag worthy
still playing it and , something still seems off to me, can't put my finger on it, also game is glitchy as hell

I had a weird gun glitch where the view would pull out and I couldn't fire, dissapeared through the floor and now have a Grenade glitch as well (I keep throwing Grenades)

I still feel 6/7 for SP

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good lord the framerate of this game is dreadful.

Poyunch

Strangely I feel the original's online feels tighter despite being simpler. I'm not really enjoying as much as I did on the first game. I think it might be because matches are too short for me. I don't get this feeling of domination or fluctuations of success between teams.

And while teamwork will definitely get your team victory it feels less of a necessity now. Maybe I should try the Hardcore modes. I've been ignoring them for a while because the fanbase is pretty obnoxious about being "Hardcore" so much that I chose to not play the game.

dream

EatChildren said:
My review.

TLDR; I didn't like it.

Man, between your review and Joystiq's review (where I could literally feel how miserable he was while playing it)...I don't even know. Go back to making licensed games, High Voltage. :/

The Joystiq review completely spoils the ending but it's worth reading because you won't believe someone actually came up with that idea.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
EatChildren said:
My review.

TLDR; I didn't like it.
Got to play it. Agree with everything (well, not the parts I didn't get to play, but I believe you). No clue how they managed to get some good reviews this time too. Imo even their praised controls felt bad this time. Too wobbly with one setting, too static with the other, I couldn't get it right at all, and the frame rate just amplified all the issues even though it was supposed to be much smoother this time... I only played SP, I guess multiplayer may have better fps... For SP grab GoldenEye, for MP pointing grab COD guys.

Mael

Resurrecting this thread from the dead since I don't feel like making a ltthwieg thread.

We can thank the wtf plot twist thread...I'm only expecting to have fun in the Gears of War mode anyway...
Well I'm surprised all right!
The controls feels off or I'm very rusty, they felt better somehow in the first game...Goldeneye is miles better despite not having as much customisation.

Heck the very first thing I did in this game is take 5 min to set the controls right...then put the wm+ and reset the controls...lol

The 1rst level is bland land, it felt like Conduit 1 but with better gfx....
The 2nd level was ok.
I stopped at the 3rd and well you see the improvement here, I mean the monsters are as hideous as ever....but they look like the game is not running on the same Wii that had the first game....

I wanted to try the mp but I need to do an update somehow...
There's a million thing they improved and it shows. It's not Goldeneye good so far but way better than drek like ever respawning CoD.

So yeah I'm having more fun with it now than with Kz thanks to the superior controls...I know I need to get a move but I can't be bothered

Welp I'm not even wondering why I don't go to Joystick anymore...

Well I thought I'd give Conduit 2 a try. I dunno why I bothered. It's my first wii FPS, I thought it looked good and could be fun. I mean to be fair it looks great, but, the SP is oh wow short and boring. I liked Ford, and I liked his voice and the humor at times could be pretty funny. The ending was amazing, it was just so random and yet it redeemed the entire SP.

Online seemed like it would be a pretty good experience if it weren't broken. Half the time I can't connect, and the other half I run into people cheating. I dunno if its just me or what. But yeah...the game is pretty bad, but what it does well it does very well. I probably would have enjoyed the game more if i rented it.

scitek

That Joystiq review's all well and good, until this idiocy at the end.

If you're looking for a solid FPS on a Nintendo console, go pick up Activision's GoldenEye. Heck, break out your N64 instead and replay Perfect Dark. Even that story makes more sense, and, to be honest ... the graphics are a little better.

I know he's joking, but it's really unprofessional.

Finally picked this up and was able to play up to the first boss. Controls took some tweaking but I found a good setup. I liked what I played so far. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to put into it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
The online multi looks good. When I get out of my Halo groove (or my gold expires), I'll probably give this a rent or something.

So have people seen the controversy about the Joystiq review?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...sed-of-Amazonbombing-Conduit-Reviewer-UPDATED

It's quite an interesting read.

Personally, I agree with the Joystiq review, the game is not very good, and that ending - what were they thinking?

I have very little respect for people in the industry who do this in positions of power, there is so much of this sort of stuff that goes on too, so much back stabbing and defensiveness. People need to realise that although they've hacked and slaved away at something that there will be people with opinions of it that will always be bad - it's virtually impossible to please everyone.

But to seek vengeance on someone for a bad review? That's very poor form.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ColonialRaptor said:
So have people seen the controversy about the Joystiq review?

if true, that doesn't sit well with me..just pettiness, what are they gonna do if no one likes the grinder? light a bag of shit on someones doorstep and run away?

Bigger, better picture

jMxgC.jpg

I think in light of High Voltage Software's games, their petty vindictiveness makes perfect sense.

caligula13

Gold Member
the single-player is way better then in the first game.

but online-play is total losing-time for me. why am i better in killzone 3 than here? is it because playing with move makes you better against people with dual-analog?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
got the Wiimotion plus on the game now targetting is a lot better.. played some online take too long to get a game now... I am gonna sell it...
I gave the game a go.. I just can't see myself coming back to it

I just finished this last week and I burst out laughing th the ending. It was hilarious! I messed around with the online for a bit and I ended up trading it in through Amazon. Fun game but I won't be coming back to it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I just beat the game. The ending made me laugh out loud. Wow.

But how did I skip a whole level? In the level selector in Atlantis' main room, there are two areas that are still locked.

Danthrax said:
I just beat the game. The ending made me laugh out loud. Wow.

But how did I skip a whole level? In the level selector in Atlantis' main room, there are two areas that are still locked.

I think those are secret levels. You can find coordinate items for them hidden around the main/plot-related levels. They were neat, but I got annoyed with the enemies respawning any time I walked near the portal entrance/exit.

I still need to beat this game. Last thing I remember was playing online for a good hour or so. Shelved it afterwards.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ZacharyDCCLXXVII said:
I think those are secret levels. You can find coordinate items for them hidden around the main/plot-related levels. They were neat, but I got annoyed with the enemies respawning any time I walked near the portal entrance/exit.

I still need to beat this game. Last thing I remember was playing online for a good hour or so. Shelved it afterwards.

Oh. Damn. I don't know if I have the willpower to go back through the levels searching for obscure coordinate items. I mean I enjoyed the Washington level, and the Siberia and oil rig levels weren't bad either, but if the coordinates are in China then screw it. That level annoyed me too much to return to it.

Thanks for letting me know, though =)

Boerseun

Banned
Of the current gen systems, I own a Wii, DS, Ps3 and a decent spec PC. (My 360 died two years ago.) I also play a lot of games. And everything considered, Conduit 2 is a contender for my favourite FPS of the year.

I've read through this whole thread and I find the negativity coming from some people absolutely astounding. I've poured more than 20 hours into Conduit 2 so far, which breaks down to about 12 hours off-line multiplayer, 3 to 4 hours single player, and the rest on-line. At present only two negative aspects stand out for me. Firstly, the casting of a new voice for main character, Michael Ford, was a huge mistake. The voice of Duke Nukem is a TERRIBLE fit for the character, the setting, and everything else that makes the game not Duke Nukem. Secondly, I've encountered a handful of bugs. The game allows patching, and I intend on writing High Voltage Software an e-mail describing the problems so that hopefully we may see an update soon. Note that none of these bugs are present in the single player or on-line multiplayer modes, but are restricted to the off-line Invasion mode. (At least, this is the only place I've encountered any.) Invasion is tons of fun though, certainly enough so not to be spoiled by inactive AI on one particular enemy type, occasionally scratchy sound when certain Drudge weapons are fired, or the two game freezes I've had.

Regarding the graphics, HVS have really outdone themselves. Unlike its predecessor, the game is not just a technical powerhouse, it now comes with great art design too! The technology powering the visuals remains mega impressive though. The Wii's TEVs are used to great effect to duplicate in appearance just about every shader you've ever seen employed on 360/Ps3. The end result is that Conduit 2 really does look like a HD game displayed in SD. Environments are much richer than in the first game and even the familiar character models have been rebuilt with more graphical oomph.

Conduit 2 hasn't quite overtaken Goldeneye as my favourite on-line shooter on Wii (yet). But it does make for a refreshing change of pace from Goldeneye and most other current gen on-line first person shooters. You create a profile and upgrade your character in a persistant manner as you score more credits. What is surprising though is that all gameplay modes are completely integrated and make use of the same persistant profile. What this means is that you earn credits which can be used towards improving your character regardless of whether you are playing on-line competitively or going through the off-line story campaign. This is not something you see first person shooters do too often, and it really is surprisingly well-balanced here. (Overall, Killzone 2 still has my favourite upgrade tree this gen, but I really love what HVS have managed to do with Conduit 2.)

This post is meant to convey my first impressions, so to speak. I'm impressed. And I wish High Voltage Software would get on with it and give us The Grinder on Wii as it was originally conceived. I feel the developer is now at a point where they've reached a certain maturity with regards to game design, art and engine tech that they can continue the upwards trend set by The Conduit and Conduit 2 and deliver consecutive knockout experiences on Wii. And if we get no The Grinder on Wii this gen, then I can't wait to see what they cook up for Wii U (that isn't based on a movie license).

thomaser

Boerseun said:
This post is meant to convey my first impressions, so to speak. I'm impressed. And I wish High Voltage Software would get on with it and give us The Grinder on Wii as it was originally conceived. I feel the developer is now at a point where they've reached a certain maturity with regards to game design, art and engine tech that they can continue the upwards trend set by The Conduit and Conduit 2 and deliver consecutive knockout experiences on Wii. And if we get no The Grinder on Wii this gen, then I can't wait to see what they cook up for Wii U (that isn't based on a movie license).

I think it's an impressive game too, sadly overlooked. Only problem for me is that I really, really suck when playing online. I'm good in Goldeneye and the CoD-games, but really struggle with everything in this game, dragging my team down every single match. Don't know why. It's so bad that I don't play it online anymore in order to not ruin things for everyone else :/

cacildo

Well, i like the game.

Me and my nephew play a lot of the invasion mode.

I just wish it had

- Multiple profile load: right now while playing invasion we can only load his profile, and i get a placeholder name and empty profile

- Objectives or a little bit of story: Invasion is a very cool mode, but if feels kinda pointless after a few sessions... Maybe a boss fight after a set number of waves.

Aaand that´s it. Im yet to finish single player, but invasion mode got the gold medal over here, aside from the above problems. Playing it with 2 people is very fun, playing it with 4 is a blast.

Boerseun

Banned
I just noticed the unofficial sales figures on that chartz site. Under 50 000 units worldwide is ridiculous considering the high quality of the package on offer. Really people, if you're into FPS and own a Wii, buy Conduit 2. It's a great game. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. I only paid around 30 Euros, and for sure I would have paid more if I knew how great it was. There are more than enough good deals around to pick it up legitimately.

thomaser said:
I think it's an impressive game too, sadly overlooked. Only problem for me is that I really, really suck when playing online. I'm good in Goldeneye and the CoD-games, but really struggle with everything in this game, dragging my team down every single match. Don't know why. It's so bad that I don't play it online anymore in order to not ruin things for everyone else :/

Don't worry about it. This isn't Xbox Live. We're all just there to have fun.

cacildo said:
Aaand that´s it. Im yet to finish single player, but invasion mode got the gold medal over here, aside from the above problems. Playing it with 2 people is very fun, playing it with 4 is a blast.

Yeah, Invasion mode is absolutely golden! I'm hoping it becomes a staple feature in future Wii shooters.

Boerseun

Banned
Alextended said:
You funny guy.

:p

Well, there is still Modern Warfare 3 coming out. And Black Ops Wii left out the off-line co-op content, including the ability to play the Invasion-esque Zombies mode with more than one person on a single machine.

I buy my Call of Duty games primarily on Wii, so I'd certainly appreciate if they included the off-line co-op content with this next entry. And of course, there is still the matter of The Grinder, which could and hopefully will still ship for Wii this gen as a multiplayer-focused horror FPS.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think that's happening. Shame too, looked like the studio's first (imo) potentially great game. Coherent art direction, good concept to rip off (L4D) and cool setting.

Boerseun

Banned
Last night I had some amazing multiplayer matches at 3 in the morning. I have yet to see another GAF username on there though. (Come on, GAF, buy the game!)

Alextended said:
I don't think that's happening. Shame too, looked like the studio's first (imo) potentially great game. Coherent art direction, good concept to rip off (L4D) and cool setting.

If I walked into a store today and saw it on the shelf I would buy the game in a heartbeat.

crazy monkey said:
I played og conduit felt very claustrophobic. I did not even tried this :( It is just bad design

Buy the new one. It's definitely a step up in every way, aside from the main character's voice being recast (and rewritten) as Duke Nukem.

Conduit 2 really does deserve to sell well.

I found the first one to be really enjoyable. Hell, outside of the stupid mines, it was pretty solid and good fun. I went in the sequel thinking it would at least be as good. but I will never find out. Not only did the framerate render this game utterly useless to me, but the duke nukem voice was just an insult to injury. The initial story didn't even seem to have the same vibe as the first, being tied to real events and whatnot. I never got off the boat in the beginning, so I can't really comment on narrative progression.

The ending is pretty awesome though, I'll give it that.

Boerseun

Banned
Everyone is always exaggerating when it comes to frame rate. Just witness the whole 30fps BF3 vs. 60fps MW3 thing you've got going on now.

Or to be more Wii-centric, read this guy's comparison of Conduit 2, Black Ops and Goldeneye's on-line experiences. Note, this reply is to the question of which on-line FPS is best on Wii.

Mr.Zag from IGN forums said:
Conduit 2 without a doubt for me. Goldeney has really bad framerate online, making it look like a slideshow. Also, leveling takes FOREVER, and so does getting new weapons and gadgets, so expect to play with the same weapons on and on and on. Black ops is a really good game, The perks are pretty good and the framerate is pretty solid. My only complaint is that it does have some inbalances, like the Famas and ak74u are overpowered, while snipers are worse then they've been before. Conduit 2 is great for me because it has the perks of CoD, well even more then them, the framerate is great for me, and levels don't judge what you can use, it's all open to you. Also the weapons aren't the same throughout, like in Cod/007 theyre all just your typical guns, Conduit 2 has weapons that catch bullets and rockets, let you turn invisable, fire black holes, and even fire insects that can home in on there target. For me, Conduit 2 is the best Wii shooter.

Conduit 2's single player campaign is locked at 30fps for the most part. This also tends to be true for the on-line modes.

I have to agree with Mr. Zag that Goldeneye's on-line frame rate is noticably lacking compared to Conduit 2's, but it's nowhere close to being a slideshow. Also note that his overall preference seems to be for Conduit 2 anyway, which could have coloured his impression of the frame rates.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Boerseun said:
Last night I had some amazing multiplayer matches at 3 in the morning. I have yet to see another GAF username on there though. (Come on, GAF, buy the game!)

If I walked into a store today and saw it on the shelf I would buy the game in a heartbeat.

Buy the new one. It's definitely a step up in every way, aside from the main character's voice being recast (and rewritten) as Duke Nukem.

I got it a while back and sold it after a while, game was glitchy as hell, I remember liking parts of it and being frustrated by the bugs in the game.

MP I had a few goes but Blops killed it for me.

as for the Grinder been waiting on the Wii version day one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbgAIE0Dqg

that trailer whetted my appetite, all I can fathom is that it is MIA on Wii maybe Wii U and 3DS (I hope) actually Wii U L4D style and the 3Ds to be the top down version maybe?

Top Bottom