• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Are Umasou [OT] of manly dinosaur tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You Are Umasou

s3eat1.jpg

Other titles: Omae Umasou da na

Released in Japanese theaters last October 2010, You Are Umasou tells a tale about a Maiasaura mother (simply referred to as Mom) who found a lost egg. When a stampede of egg eaters nearly killed her eggs, leaving only one of her own eggs plus the lost one, she loved them both, raising the older brother Light and the younger one, from the lost egg, Heart.

Heart of course was different, and soon he realized that he was a Tyrannosaurus rex. After a fateful encounter while saving his brother, he came to a conclusion that he was a meat eater, and tried to find his own place. Through his journey, he encountered a baby Ankylosaur, who mistakes him as a father and his phrase "you are delicious (delicious = umasou)" as a name.

My personal reaction? Well... it's summed up by this picture.

It has an amazing mix of emotional drama, light-hearted fun, and well... badass dinosaur fights. Seriously, they have amazing choreography in those climactic and action-ridden moments. Just look...

5ajplt.gif

nv614j.gif

Cast:
Heart is Kappei Yamagi, notable for Death Note's L and One Piece's Usopp
Mom is Tomoyo Harada
Light is Seishiro Kat

Outside of Japan?

Sadly it's not yet released outside of Japan. Your only hope so far is the internet.

Boss Doggie

Lafiel said:
You are umasou?

Haven't seen the movie though.

Ah thanks. So that was it.

How come the trailer made it like it's some Land Before Time with moe?

Boss Doggie

So I did a little research, and it's a children's book? How come it has that scene?!

Geneijin

Just don't expect tons of action when watching it because there isn't too much of it. Basing your expectations on those .gifs might backfire on you. The trailer and teaser are more telling what kind of movie it is.

The times when Heart fights are usually during a serious plot/character development.

Boss Doggie

Geneijin said:
Just don't expect tons of action when watching it because there isn't too much of it. Basing your expectations on those .gifs might backfire on you. The trailer and teaser are more telling what kind of movie it is.

The times when Heart fights are usually during a serious plot/character development.

I kinda expected that from the trailer. It's sorta like that movie with a wolf and a gay goat kid (One Stormy Night, I think).

Ratrat

Ookami-kun said:
I kinda expected that from the trailer. It's sorta like that movie with a wolf and a gay goat kid (One Stormy Night, I think).
Arashi no yoru ni? The goat baby is gay?

Boss Doggie

Okay, I finally got to watch it.

2d6vazt.jpg

HOLY SHIT

No spoilers.

I love how the movie unravels itself. Heart develops quite a strong character. Umasou I thought was annoying but then his voice really got me.

Boss Doggie

I requested a mod to make this thread into an OT.

I always want to watch this in my HDTV but it's softsubs

Solune

I know people are joking, but the "moe" shit should stop. This is one of the best films you'll watch in a while. It's nostalgic, refreshing, and amazing. And most important it's about dinosaurs being bros.

I'm thinking about going to find it at Tsutaya today. Girlfriend will probably love it as well. Might even get some friends over to watch it!

I have been wanting to watch something like this, even if just to get away from the pimp slapping drama that is Zeta Gundam.

Flek

Banned
waaah i want to watch this, how / where are you guys watching this? Or are you all speaking japanese?

Kurtofan

Ookami-kun said:

2d6vazt.jpg

HOLY SHIT

No spoilers.

I love how the movie unravels itself. Heart develops quite a strong character. Umasou I thought was annoying but then his voice really got me.
You are already extinct.

Xater

Ookami-kun said:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2d6vazt.jpg[IMG]

HOLY SHIT

No spoilers.

I love how the movie unravels itself. Heart develops quite a strong character. Umasou I thought was annoying but then his voice really got me.[/QUOTE]

This picture alone will now make me wanna watch it.

Jex

This is certainly an excellent animated movie, and one of the few non-Ghibli works that will likely appeal to a wide variety of audiences. I mean, it's all about those traditional values, such as family, but it also features dinosaurs break dancing. It's an amazing combination.

It's kind of a Pixar/Disney/Ghibli level experience. Which is mighty impressive.

Xater

Jexhius said:
This is certainly an excellent animated movie, and one of the few non-Ghibli works that will likely appeal to a wide variety of audiences. I mean, it's all about those traditional values, such as family, but it also features dinosaurs break dancing. It's an amazing combination.

You really now how to sell people on it Jexhius.

*goes off and searches for a release*

Boss Doggie

Regulus Tera said:
I would put The Lion King in the third panel.

I thought it was a bit more different than that.

Also the choreography. THE CHOREOGRAPHY MAN!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ookami-kun said:
I thought it was a bit more different than that.

Also the choreography. THE CHOREOGRAPHY MAN!

Yeah, Finding Nemo would be a better choice of words.

You are Umasou > Finding Nemo

What's this? An anime that doesn't involve sexualized underage girls, pretty boys, or nonstop talking heads?

I might just have to check this out.

Jerk

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
What's this? An anime that doesn't involve sexualized underage girls, pretty boys, or nonstop talking heads?

I might just have to check this out.

-_-

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
One thing I liked about this movie is that it did not shy away from showing the consequences of violence yet it was not gory at all. It's pretty powerful stuff for a children's movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom