• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell on Wheels - coming to AMC this Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
New first look video released today:
AMC said:
AMC’s First-Look at Hell on Wheels

AMC takes a first look at its newest original series, “Hell on Wheels” – a contemporary western about post-Civil War America that focuses on a Confederate soldier who sets out to exact revenge on the Union soldiers who have killed his wife.
Youtube copy of the video

2zthfa0.jpg

Why is it called Hell on Wheels?
Wikipedia said:
The phrase "Hell on Wheels" was originally used to describe the itinerant collection of flimsily assembled gambling houses, dance halls, saloons, and brothels that followed the army of Union Pacific railroad workers westward as they constructed the American transcontinental railroad in the 1860s. The followers were called "hangers-on" according to Samuel Bowles.

The huge numbers of wage-earning young men working in what was a remote wilderness, far from the constraints of home, proved to be a lucrative opportunity for those with expertise at separating such men from their money.

One early documentation of the term "Hell on Wheels" being used to describe the phenomenon was by Springfield, Massachusetts Republican newspaper editor Samuel Bowles.

The phenomenon is documented as far east as North Platte, Nebraska. As the end of the line continually moved westward, Hell on Wheels followed along, reconstructing itself on the outskirts of each town that became in turn the center of activity for the Union Pacific's construction work.

All manner of criminal activity was rampant in Hell on Wheels, with murders occurring on an almost nightly basis. Frequently, the more respectable element of a town temporarily hosting Hell on Wheels became fed up with the crime and organized to combat it. For example, in Laramie, Wyoming, a conflict between town vigilantes and a Hell on Wheels criminal gang culminated in a protracted street battle.

An idealized image of Hell on Wheels is present in 1924 John Ford's silent film The Iron Horse.

xbhaskarx

Looks good, will watch.
The name is a bit strange, I thought this would be about a motorcycle gang (glad it's not).

the killing isn't epic. Atleast not yet.

edit: this really needs a different name, but it looks interesting enough.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Is that motherflippin' Common in there?

Anyway got to catch up on my AMC shows as this show looks promising. I also Really need to catch up on Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

big ander

I thought it looked great. I haven't disliked an AMC show yet. I haven't seen Rubicon, but I heard it's similar to The Killing in a lot of ways and I'm enjoying that plenty. Mad Men is wonderful and Breaking Bad is one of my favorite TV shows ever, I think.
Oh and Walking Dead still has a great pilot!

VALIS

a contemporary western about post-Civil War America

Oh, nice!

that focuses on a Confederate soldier who sets out to exact revenge on the Union soldiers who have killed his wife.

Oh, fuck. Argh! :(

Still, AMC has earned my trust, so I'll be optimistic.

Uhh, yes please. AMC has been great for the most part and I'll check out any series they air.

Plus, it's a Western so I would be there anyway.

ivysaur12

Banned
Clevinger said:
How was the script?

Third best pilot script from this season, behind REM and then Ringer (though the cast for Reconstruction is fantastic, so who knows).

Interestingly, the bad guy is an ex-Confederate Colonel.

Wray

So any news on this show lately? Is it still on schedule for a Fall release? I'm kind of personally hoping it gets pushed back to Jan, since the fall is already going to be airing Walking Dead and a bunch of other shows.

Wray

Well Mad Men is starting in what March? and Walking Dead in Oct? Maybe AMC can squeeze this in between those two seasons and do a back to back to back kinda thing.

Ohhh man this looks awesome. I'm a sucker for modern day westerns and AMC knocked it out of the park with Walking Dead and The Killing imo so I'll be looking forward to this.

big ander

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Opposite Day?
Seriously. TWD didn't get to the level of horribleness that The Killing is now at, but it did drop down to "mediocre" after the fantastic pilot.

I feel like there's been a bit more footage for this in the AMC TV Originals teasers, but it could have just been me forgetting a few shots from the trailer.

xbhaskarx

Maklershed said:
AMC knocked it out of the park with Walking Dead and The Killing imo so I'll be looking forward to this.

True but Breaking Bad and Mad Men are both fucking awful so you never know.......

Wray

Bumping this because nobody else has.

They set a premiere date of Oct 16th at 10pm, directly after the S2 premiere of Walking Dead. I guess they are using WD as a lead in to build ratings.

AMC has had an impressive string of shit with Rubicon, Walking Dead and The Killing, so yeah, not getting excited about this. Thank god Breaking Bad is back on, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom