• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is announcing a new large scale MMO this fiscal year

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/25/square_enix_mmo/

Square Enix is readying a new large scale Massively Multiplayer Online title to be announced some time this fiscal year. The company made brief mention of this new game during its May 13 earnings briefing. A full transcript of the briefing was posted today at the company's IR page.

According to the transcript, Square Enix hopes aims to operate two to three large scale MMO titles simultaneously, a target it feels will allow it to have stable cash flow. It says that it is developing one more title in addition to Final Fantasy XIV, and it hopes to announce the game during the fiscal year.

The transcript also makes note of the problems faced by FFXIV, saying the game will take a bit more time, but they're at the point where they can see the target.

glaurung

Oh my god.

It's like they're going to ram the Titanic (FFXIV) that is sinking with another ship that will therefore go down even worse.

GhaleonQ

the piece said:
According to the transcript, Square Enix hopes aims to operate two to three large scale MMO titles simultaneously, a target it feels will allow it to have stable cash flow.

Maybe. Those sound WAY more like famous last words, though.

GhaleonQ

Nirolak said:
It works for NCSoft, but NCSoft's competence with MMOs is like a thousand times higher.

Right.

As for Dragon Quest, my assumptions are:

casual fanbase that makes it so profitable doesn't play them and won't care

hardcore fanbase, judging by IX/X, freaks out more than Final Fantasy XI fanbase (and, of course, those fanbases intersect)

Dragon Quest reaches Final Fantasy-levels of spinoffs and everyone gets annoyed

Right?

Big One

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Right.

As for Dragon Quest, my assumptions are:

casual fanbase that makes it so profitable doesn't play them and won't care

hardcore fanbase, judging by IX/X, freaks out more than Final Fantasy XI fanbase (and, of course, those fanbases intersect)

Dragon Quest reaches Final Fantasy-levels of spinoffs and everyone gets annoyed

Right?
I don't think you understand how well a Dragon Quest MMO would actually turn out with the Japanese. As soon as it's released, everyone who has never played an MMO game in their life will start doing so. It's as simple as that

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Big One said:
I don't think you understand how well a Dragon Quest MMO would actually turn out with the Japanese. As soon as it's released, everyone who has never played an MMO game in their life will start doing so. It's as simple as that

No, if Tanaka is the director. :p

Anyway I'm agree with your post, a Dragon Quest MMO will be amazing.

sonikokaruto said:
i realy hope this is FF14

I bet more for FFXI-2 or FF XV.

Momo

Banned
Vagrant Story MMO.

One player amongst the thousands will have the blood sin and everyone chases after him/her.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Momo said:
Vagrant Story MMO.

One player amongst the thousands will have the blood sin and everyone chases after him/her.

Matsuno cant handle large projects though!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Xenogears Online
Chrono Online
Mana Online
OnLine SaGa
The World Ends With Online
Valkyrie Profile Online
Star Ocean Online

What other dreams are there to shatter?

Teknoman

:mad: Damn it Square, you just posted financial documents showing that you bit off more than you could chew. One thing at a time please (unless its free to play or something...).

GhaleonQ

Big One said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, since I don't know. However, my understanding is that it retains sales because it's traditional, instigates nostalgia, has a social aspect tied to the real world, and isn't expensive. Oh, and it's good.

You might be right, but there are some people here for whom Dragon Quest is like magic. If you need to solve a problem in Japanese game sales, push the Dragon Quest Button. Could you expound a little?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, hopefully they will give it the time it needs after this.

ffxivonlinewpq8.png

Teknoman

Could be developed by another company and simply published by S-E...would they see a steady stream of income from that? Because imo, they dont need to take on any other new online projects until XIV is sturdy.

And if it's XI-2...well everyone would just bail out from both XI and XIV lol.

Tizoc

Dragon Quest MMO for PS3, 360 and Cafe Wii. The money this would make can help Japan recover from their deficit...even a little...and applied.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
That was mainly Londa.
They seem to be quintupling down on Londa though, so good for them!

This also explains the dearth of announcements out of Square Enix Japan, since all their staff is busy making MMOs.

Teknoman

Even though the new team is diligently working on fixing xiv/ changing battle systems and other foundation changes, the official forums can get pretty nuts at times.

I'd actually be willing to put money on "Dragon Quest MMO" in the vein of DQIX but expanded. IX's multiplay features were evidently wildly popular in Japan and being able to take that online, countrywide, would basically turn it into the Japanese equivalent of World of Warcraft, guaranteed.

But god, will anyone have confidence in them after XIV? Will they need to trumpet that it's being developed out-of-house?

Top Bottom