• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix expects loss of $140 million from cancelled video game title(s)

28OAKc2.png

Square Enix announced on April 30 that they are expecting an extraordinary loss of 22.1 billion yen (over $140 million based on recent conversion rates) in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024. The losses are related to the revision of Square Enix’s development policy and the scrapping of ongoing projects* (source: Takashi Mochizuki).
*The report does not clarify whether this relates to one or multiple titles.
According to the announcement, Square Enix’s board of directors decided in a meeting held on March 27 to revise the company’s development policy for HD video game titles “due to diverse changes in the environment and in an attempt to allocate and concentrate development resources.” As a result, they expect to record losses of approximately 22.1 billion yen related to the cancellation of ongoing title(s). Square Enix are currently revisiting their consolidated financial forecasts for FY 2023 based on these and other factors and will publish a revision if necessary.

Sensei

Any hint on what those cancelled titles might be? I'm a bit worried about Dragon Quest XII and specially the remake of III, which we haven't heard about in ages.
I won't be so worried about these games. They should both sell well, especially in Japan, on the strength of their names alone (and especially because it's likely that they'll both release on the Switch/Switch successor).

I'm more worried about the FFIX remake/remaster and especially the FF Tactics remaster.

Maybe this number isn't even that big compared to past years and other devs, for me it seems wild though. Games that were seemingly considered (much) worse than the okay but presumably failed Foamstars costing hefty sums before any marketing which is seemingly often more costly than the actual development.

Certainly true also for other publishers and their cash cows but feels like SE only exists due to FF and DQ and nothing else they try really sticks their landing.

Chukhopops

My guess: it’s one of the planned remakes from the PSX era FF games (maybe IX)

If the accounting rules are the same in Japan as the rest of the world, then the decision to use extraordinary losses is based on the desire to not impact operating result. Which is very interesting in the case of SE.

My guess: it’s one of the planned remakes from the PSX era FF games (maybe IX)

If the accounting rules are the same in Japan as the rest of the world, then the decision to use extraordinary losses is based on the desire to not impact operating result. Which is very interesting in the case of SE.
There is no way they are cancelling anything Final Fantasy related.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

There is no way they are cancelling anything Final Fantasy related.
I don’t know of course. But since this refers to the HD segment this already rules out mobile games and MMOs which are in a separate segment.

SE also published in Nov 2023 their annual report where they said they wanted to diversify and listed the « limited diversity of their title portfolio » as a key aspect to address, so cancelling one or several new titles six months later would be odd.

IMO it’s either a full stop on the GAAS train or one of their big planned remakes.

Also the amount is quite gigantic, 22bn JPY is a lot out of their planned full-year 55 bn operating income target.

Pejo

Gold Member
Any hint on what those cancelled titles might be? I'm a bit worried about Dragon Quest XII and specially the remake of III, which we haven't heard about in ages.
Boy I don't know, after hearing about what they were doing to DQXII it might not be the worst thing if it just gets straight up cancelled.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Boy I don't know, after hearing about what they were doing to DQXII it might not be the worst thing if it just gets straight up cancelled.
I think I missed some news lol, what happened? Last I heard they seemed to want to make it more "mature" (which already seems like a mistake imo) but aside from that, nothing else.

Pejo

Gold Member
I think I missed some news lol, what happened? Last I heard they seemed to want to make it more "mature" (which already seems like a mistake imo) but aside from that, nothing else.
The dark/edgy part and most notably the part about switching to action or hybrid combat was what had me in full on panic mode. I don't remember the actual words he used in the interview I read a long time ago, but it was something about tweaking the gameplay to be more action oriented or something. The rest is unverifiable leaks or conjecture but that's enough to send up a few red flags for me, personally.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The dark/edgy part and most notably the part about switching to action or hybrid combat was what had me in full on panic mode. I don't remember the actual words he used in the interview I read a long time ago, but it was something about tweaking the gameplay to be more action oriented or something. The rest is unverifiable leaks or conjecture but that's enough to send up a few red flags for me, personally.
I'm not 100% sure either, but last time I read about the subject people seemed to have debunked the action-based combat rumor.

As I said, I'm not sure, but man do I wish for that to be the case. DQ won't feel like DQ at all if it's super edgy or has ARPG combat. Shit sounds like FF XVI.

Go_Ly_Dow

So this is related to this announcement back in Feb:

Square Enix will review its development system to improve the quality of its games, company president Takashi Kiryu has announced.

Kiryu's comments were made during Square Enix's latest financial results briefing, Bloomberg reported, during which he indicated a policy of reducing outsourced development and focusing on large-scale games developed in-house, with the aim of boosting both the quality of games and profit margins.

The new system is set to be announced in spring, with multiple sources at the conference call stating it will be in effect in April. That would align with the company's new financial year.

So I imagine this kind of news is probably centred around the low and mid budget stuff (Forspoken, Balan, Triangle Strategy etc...) and perhaps the likes of Star Ocean.

Then they will probably invest more into FF, KH, DQ, NieR and a few other more popular IPs as a result of centralising company and dev resources around less games.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So this is related to this announcement back in Feb:

So I imagine this kind of news is probably centred around the low and mid budget stuff (Forspoken, Balan, Triangle Strategy etc...) and perhaps the likes of Star Ocean.

Then they will probably invest more into FF, KH, DQ, NieR and a few other more popular IPs as a result of centralising company and dev resources around less games.

I thought Forspoken is AAA?

Elios83

Forspoken 2 and Foamstars 2"pie_tears_joy: "pie_tears_joy:

It's probably some smaller AA new titles/remakes that they had in development.
They already said a few months ago they all performed badly and they wanted to refocus on high quality AAA.
Probably Octopath Travelers will be saved, one of the executives behind that was promoted.

Man I really want them to succeed, I have too much nostalgia linked to Final Fantasy! I thought that XVI, VII Remake and VII Rebirth put them back on the map after the so-so reception of the XIII trilogy and XV.

Ozriel

M$FT
This is mostly the underperforming of all smaller games which mostly were multiplatform, but haters hated their games anyway.

Not all, though. Can’t imagine why they didn’t just put those smaller games on every platform.
Harvestella didn’t get traction on Switch. Could have also made it a PC release.

I really hope this pushes Square to get their stuff on PC faster. Still waiting for FF16 and 7 Rebirth to come to PC and there are no release dates, just winks and nods to some arbitrary exclusivity period. It's bad business

I really hope this pushes Square to get their stuff on PC faster. Still waiting for FF16 and 7 Rebirth to come to PC and there are no release dates, just winks and nods to some arbitrary exclusivity period. It's bad business

I love how people ignore data. It's like you think Square Enix doesn't have a history of releasing games on PC and Xbox.

They know at which ratio their games sell on these platforms relative to PlayStation and that is part of their negotiations for exclusivity with Sony.

Xbox and PC wouldn't have saved Square Enix.

Not all, though. Can’t imagine why they didn’t just put those smaller games on every platform.
Harvestella didn’t get traction on Switch. Could have also made it a PC release.

Massive mistake not to get Octopath Traveller 1 on PlayStation somehow. Perhaps they're bound by agreement still as I think Nintendo helped fun the first game, but somehow okayed the release on Xbox.

Yet OT2 was on everything but xbox and it bombed.

That's kind of the point... It's really difficult to get people into a franchise late when they don't have access to all the games. That's why they tried to set it up as not needing to play the first game. That works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

It worked for Persona 4 and Persona 5, but the franchise really established itself as being unrelated over the course of multiple games.

There is a reason they named God of War 2018 God of War instead of God of War 4.

They probably should have negotiated harder with Nintendo the ability to release the first game on PS4 and PS5.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not from some of their bad decisions. But comparing Capcom and SE, the path SE has taken with their premier franchises is probably not the right one.

Seems right to me, they are reviewing and selling well and will release later on PC which nets them additional income

Why are people acting like these games won’t eventually come to PC?

Fabieter

That's kind of the point... It's really difficult to get people into a franchise late when they don't have access to all the games. That's why they tried to set it up as not needing to play the first game. That works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

It worked for Persona 4 and Persona 5, but the franchise really established itself as being unrelated over the course of multiple games.

There is a reason they named God of War 2018 God of War instead of God of War 4.

They probably should have negotiated harder with Nintendo the ability to release the first game on PS4 and PS5.

Get what you are saying but it still sold worse than part 1 on pc and switch.

Top Bottom