• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Futuremark developing 3 new titles for PC, XBLA, and iOS (You need to see this. Now.)

The 3 titles are a space shooter, a UFO title, and a cat game:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68600/futuremark-teases-space-dogfights-ufos

E3 is almost upon us, doubtless with heaps of new game announcements in tow. For now, though, 'tis the season for cruelly teasing and hinting at new projects. Futuremark Games Studio, developer of zero-g FPS Shattered Horizon, is joining in the fun with a teaser showing off three new projects, including a spaceship shooter, a game apparently inspired by UFO B movies, and something with a microscopic cartoon cat.

The spaceship combat game looks especially exciting. Small attack ships are seen engaging each other in dogfights, and making attack runs to destroy parts of larger vessels. It appears to be multiplayer, not to mention quite gorgeous.

"In true teaser spirit, we are not revealing any further details today: no titles, genres, or release dates," the developer said. "If you like to categorise your news and trailers, however, you can tag this under PC, XBLA and iOS. We will leave it to your readers to guess which platforms apply to each game (there are only 343 possible combinations)."

For my money, the UFO shlock is probably headed to Xbox Live Arcade and possibly PC too, the spaceship-o-rama is for PC and maybe XBLA, while the cat game's on iOS.

"We will share more details with you soon," Futuremark says. Hey, E3's soon!

Video at link.

The space shooter is using the same theme song as Shattered Horizon.

iOS - cat game
XBLA - ufo
PC - space shooter, since it's using the same engine as Shattered Horizon.

I swear, if you motherfucking so-called "PC gamers" who are always talking shit about console garbage like Call of Duty and Bad Company abandon this space shooter like you abandoned Shattered Horizon, you lose all right to ever complain about consolization, you posers.

I don't even know if this will be good, but Shattered Horizon didn't deserve to go out like that.

AND IT'S A FUCKING SPACE COMBAT GAME.

Enkidu

Teknopathetic said:
I swear, if you motherfucking so-called "PC gamers" who are always talking shit about console garbage like Call of Duty and Bad Company abandon this space shooter like you abandoned Shattered Horizon, you lose all right to ever complain about consolization, you posers.

I don't even know if it's good yet, but Shattered Horizon didn't deserve to go out like that.
It's a damn shame and I was part of the problem :( I was still on XP when the game came out so I couldn't play it until I got a new computer a few months later and by then the game was already abandoned.

Neuromancer said:
I didn't see any footage of the UFO game unless it was the black and white bit in the beginning... Was that it?

Yes, that black and white bit in the beginning was the UFO game.

Teknopathetic said:

I don't even know if this will be good, but Shattered Horizon didn't deserve to go out like that.

I agree!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Teknopathetic said:

Don't blame me. I STILL load up Shattered Horizon once in a while, and hope the community has magically grown back.

Teknopathetic said:

I think futuremark should go back to making benchmarks, it's all they 're good for.
tumblr_lak2hxmf3T1qb25upo1_250.gif

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Teknopathetic said:

But every time I logged in there was none to play with! :(

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Teknopathetic said:

activision have probably got a map pack lined up day and date just to make a point.

The space shooter is as good as bought, even though I won't be able to play it for a few more years since I doubt my PC could handle it in a satisfying fashion.

Dambrosi

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

I'd have loved to try it out during its heyday, but I'm still on XP.

I really need to upgrade soon. Can't afford to, though.

Oh well, at least I can still buy the XBLA game, right?

Teknopathetic said:

I thought the trial played great and had some cool ideas, but I couldn't get the damn thing to stay above 30fps with my old hardware.

I've upgraded since, but this new game needs to scale a heck of a lot better.

plc268

Teknopathetic said:

I bought Shattered Horizon the day it came out (along with a few friends), and it was honestly the most boring MP shooter I've played. A few neat ideas, and I wanted to like the zero-g aspect, but in all honesty, it made me nauseous instead.

I tried it again recently, and while a few things changed, it wasn't enough to get me interested.

jakershaker said:
Lets just hope that the space shooter has some kind of content except multiplayer. Then I'll buy it.

I disagree there. Completely.

They should focus 100% of their time on the MP. Don't half ass the MP to tack on some lame Sp campaign, that you know would be shit.

Make the MP deep and varied. Make it scale well. Players will come.

Vinci

Danish
I always wanted to play Shattered Horizon, except my PC at the time couldn't run it. Then it seemed like everyone stopped playing it, so... now that I have a system that may very well be able to run it... Is there anyone still playing it? Might give it a go if so.

gregor7777 said:

They should focus 100% of their time on the MP. Don't half ass the MP to tack on some lame Sp campaign, that you know would be shit.

That is true. A great MP only will probably get a nice playerbase.

A great SP campaign is needed to draw in the space sim fans of old though.

Enkidu

Vinci said:
I always wanted to play Shattered Horizon, except my PC at the time couldn't run it. Then it seemed like everyone stopped playing it, so... now that I have a system that may very well be able to run it... Is there anyone still playing it? Might give it a go if so.
Well, there are bots... Otherwise it's a pretty empty game but it can be pretty fun even if you are mainly playing against bots.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They took an awesome concept and executed it so poorly with SHattered Horizons. It was decent at launch but adding all the weapons just turned it to shit. They all were horribly modeled and were completely infuriating to use.

gregor7777 said:

That's what they did with their last game... and they failed. I need singleplayer so that when the community disappears after the first week I do have something to play.

Teknopathetic said:

Ban everyone who doesn't buy the PC game. Proof of purchase required.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shattered Horizon killed itself off for good with the Firepower update, if you ask me. I hope they don't pull the same kind of stuff with their new shooter.

Glad they're reusing the SH soundtrack though. That game had great music.

koji

Omg, was that like a real space shooter I saw there. 2011, year of the dead genre revival, B E L I E V E!

Stallion Free said:
They took an awesome concept and executed it so poorly with SHattered Horizons. It was decent at launch but adding all the weapons just turned it to shit. They all were horribly modeled and were completely infuriating to use.

That's what they did with their last game... and they failed. I need singleplayer so that when the community disappears after the first week I do have something to play.

I don't think it scaled well at all.

Red

Teknopathetic said:

Hey, I got a good six hours out of it before the server list went almost completely dead.

To clarify my comment against SP here.

I'd love a good, well crafted SP. I simply don't think FutureMark has it in them to do both well.

Tain

Teknopathetic said:

I didn't stick with it forever, but I had my fun with Shattered Horizon. Pretty cool game.

Honestly, though? I couldn't get into Freespace 2 the last time I tried it out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
To clarify my comment against SP here.

I'd love a good, well crafted SP. I simply don't think FutureMark has it in them to do both well.
I don't think they have it in them to craft a good MP either. Sadly.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Lyphen said:
Shattered Horizon killed itself off for good with the Firepower update, if you ask me. I hope they don't pull the same kind of stuff with their new shooter.

Glad they're reusing the SH soundtrack though. That game had great music.
Yeah, Firepower was a big shock.

Tain

I think the genre just doesn't work for me. I liked it more than X-Wing and I can't really think of something in the genre that's better, but I didn't wind up sticking with it. I'll probably go back some day.

also, no real controller.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Teknopathetic said:
"Honestly, though? I couldn't get into Freespace 2 the last time I tried it out."

You, me. Outside.

I got your back Tek.

Just little bit of Space Shooter from the teaser was enough for my wallet to demand I buy the game.

Shattered Horizons is great. Shame no one plays it, but I occasionally jump into a bot match. Before they added bots, I'd go in solo and move around. The movement feels really nice.

This new space shooter shown off looks nice too. The flying controls look like what was in Freelancer. A separate hud elements for your mouse and the ship's forward point; moving the mouse cursor away from the center acts like a virtual joystick. That's a good way to have flight controls with a mouse, imo, but I'm hoping joysticks are fully supported as well. I have to go find my old one for Battlefield 3 anyway.

a single player campaign would be nice too. there seem to be a few space flight games coming out but they're all multiplayer focused (one is an mmo or something?)

sn00zer

This has me kinda pissed....really really really wished they would do a game based on the water dragon and zepplin in their earlier benchmarks.

ElyrionX

Tain said:
Honestly, though? I couldn't get into Freespace 2 the last time I tried it out.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Freespace 2 is easily one of the greatest games ever made. It deserves far far *FAR* more recognition than it ever got.

Zenith

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

It was multiplayer only. What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

low-G

I bought Shattered Horizon reluctantly. Some good ideas, but at least the game came a long way since launch.

They need to make this new game not so barebones. Make a full-ass game or don't charge very much for it.

Top Bottom