• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony use an upgraded Cell in the PlayStation 4?

So apparently SmartHouse sucks, but this debate is interesting, and thus, new topic:

Do you think Sony should use an upgraded Cell in the PlayStation 4? Why or why not?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dedication Through Light said:
PS4 will be twice as powerful as PS3? Thats just mind blowing already!
If the processor alone has 16 SPUs, it's going to be a hell of a lot more powerful than that.

V_Ben

Banned
If they're going to continue using Cell, then that means that developers won't have such a hard time moving to the new console, right? Because they'll be working with architecture they already know their way around? That seems smart. But 16 SPUs... crikey.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Not sure if Moore's Law applies here but if we follow that then if the next PS released in 2012 it should be approx 8x as powerful.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
V_Ben said:
If they're going to continue using Cell, then that means that developers won't have such a hard time moving to the new console, right? Because they'll be working with architecture they already know their way around? That seems smart. But 16 SPUs... crikey.
Essentially the code you write for compute shaders is conceptually similar to the code you would write for Cell SPUs, so anyone who wants to make a higher end game next generation would pretty much have to have an engine design that would work well with the Cell anyway.

StudioTan said:
Not sure if Moore's Law applies here but if we follow that then if the next PS released in 2012 it should be approx 8x as powerful.
As a whole, processor compute over the Cell is the thing that would scale the least due to the exponentiation factors involved.

A 16 SPU Cell would on paper only be twice or three times as fast, which is quite small, but it would point to much higher multiplication factors in terms of the RAM and GPU using parts in the same cost range.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
"twice as powerful" in architecture terms is actually really small. a typical generational leap is usually more in the realm of 10x.

JWong

Banned
V_Ben said:
I've heard 3 IT Professors saying the Cell is the future, or rather, multithreading, which the Cell is the best at.

Devs need to step out of their comfort zone and push it for multithreading processors.

V_Ben

Banned
Nirolak said:
Essentially the code you write for compute shaders is conceptually similar to the code you would write for Cell SPUs, so anyone who wants to make a higher end game next generation would pretty much have to have an engine design that would work well with the Cell anyway.

Ah, right!

Power wise... this would be insane. Just mental.

clav

In before PS4 has to be less than $599 US Dollars.

So first it was emotion engine and then Cell.

Any guesses on what this new tech will be called? Kinesis?

V_Ben

Banned
claviertekky said:

Cell 2.

Pirabear

Banned
claviertekky said:

Perfect Cell.

antonz

I really dont buy it. IBM has openly said they have killed all Cell development. The remanents of cell technology will show up in future CPUs but Cell itself is dead.

Cell was a total failure as far as what it was originally planned for.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about the Cell, but I do know there were at least a couple of areas where there was room for improvement. Put a better PPC core in there. And I know there was something about the SPUs that made things more difficult than they should have been, but I forgot what it was. I think it was cache related.

Anyway, I think most people expected something like this. Sony has already proven that the processor works well for game consoles, it's easily expandable, and it will make for very easy backward compatibility.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
I really dont buy it. IBM has openly said they have killed all Cell development. The remanents of cell technology will show up in future CPUs but Cell itself is dead.

Actually, they killed off a different Cell line than the one the PS3 was following.

They integrated the remaining line into the PowerPC line-up, and made the integration announcement at the same time they reaffirmed they were staying in gaming: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409714

Elios83

Nah, this was just one of the processors in the old 'Cell roadmap'.
They were considering doing a quad Cell at 32nm and a new version with 16 SPUs and a more efficient memory access system.
Probably both have been canned at this point.
No one wants to invest in Cel anymore, the project has ben killed.

SRG01

antonz said:

No, they canceled the 32 SPU Cell but Cell development is still ongoing.

Nirolak said:
Actually, they killed off a different Cell line than the one the PS3 was following.

They integrated the remaining line into the PowerPC line-up, and made the integration announcement at the same time they reaffirmed they were staying in gaming: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409714

Ahhh, beaten.

At any rate, Cell is pretty much a "separate but distinct" line of PowerPCs. I attended an IBM talk once, and almost all of the low-level code is the same... aside from the Cell-specific ones, of course.

JWong said:
I've heard 3 IT Professors saying the Cell is the future, or rather, multithreading, which the Cell is the best at.

Devs need to step out of their comfort zone and push it for multithreading processors.

Don't they already on both 360 and PS3? I'm not a programmer but from what little I understand it sounds like greater multi-threading capability will be great for multitasking and stuff, but there is probably a limit to which you can intelligently carve your game into parallel instructions before you create debug hell and start running into dependency problems. My guess is that a lot of software will just let some intermediary (hardware / software) handle the instruction processing... why would they want to break their balls remaking the wheel to take advantage of so many cores?

Curufinwe

DMeisterJ said:
Hopefully we'll have every game native 1280x720 60fps.

I know, it's nice to dream.

Most of us are dreaming of 1920 x 1080 and 60 fps for games on the next consoles from MS and Sony.

Mindlog

What we have been told is that Sony is working on a very fast processor which is being developed with IBM, who was the original architect with Sony and Toshiba of the Cell processor, which has been used by both Sony and Microsoft to power their gaming processors for nearly 10 years.
Is this poor sentence structure or am I reading it incorrectly. Maybe they mean to say IBM is used by both which is correct.

I was also led to believe that the Nagasaki plant was put to other use.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
polyh3dron said:
This would get them halfway there... They'd also need something to emulate the Nvidia RSX GPU
they could just plug a ti-89 in there if they had to

SRG01

polyh3dron said:
This would get them halfway there... They'd also need something to emulate the Nvidia RSX GPU

Depending on how the game was coded, it may not matter (ie. OpenGL).

Would be the smart thing to do. Some developers are just now getting with the Cell, and offloading stuff to the SPUs, wouldn't make sense to let all that work go to waste in the next generation.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Didn't Sony just told us they wouldn't repeat the same overpricing mistake they did with the PS3? This sounds expensive.

Or I'm just an idiot.

M3d10n

chaosblade said:
I don't know much about the Cell, but I do know there were at least a couple of areas where there was room for improvement. Put a better PPC core in there. And I know there was something about the SPUs that made things more difficult than they should have been, but I forgot what it was. I think it was cache related.
The problem is that the Cell used on the PS3 was terrible for "general purpose computing" (aka: code with lots of branching and non-sequential memory accesses). The same is true for the X360 CPU. This means games must use lots and lots of SIMD-style data-streaming-oriented code even for menial tasks if they don't want to run like shit.

Jin34

Curufinwe said:
Most of us are dreaming of 1920 x 1080 and 60 fps for games on the next consoles from MS and Sony.

Dreaming is more accurate than you think because that won't happen.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
BY2K said:
Didn't Sony just told us they wouldn't repeat the same overpricing mistake they did with the PS3? This sounds expensive.

Or I'm just an idiot.

I'm pretty sure that the prices of Cell production have gone down.

lord pie

Come on, with quotes like this:

the Cell processor, which has been used by both Sony and Microsoft to power their gaming processors for nearly 10 years.

How can this possibly be taken seriously? :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You can just imagine the costs to startup with blu-ray and how hopefully that means that it will be significantly cheaper then five hundred and ninety nine US dollah.

Top Bottom