• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Owners - Brave Story: New Traveler has been removed from the PSN Store.

Volcynika

XSeed's Twitter just let us know about this:

"ALERT! - Brave Story: New Traveler will no longer be available for DL on PSN after a few more days due to expired licensing issues. Buy now!"

It is $9.99 and uses 147 MB.

Final Edit: It's gone!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Decent game, deserves a purchase.

I'll always remember it as the first game that successfully worked around the PSP's long loading times.

Urban Scholar said:
My favorite game republic game right there.
Easily their best, as far as I'm concerned.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I for one welcome our new digital licensing overlords.

Raife

Man said:
That's a dual-edged sword. You can never re-download it (though you can download it via Media GO and save it on your PC).

I thought if you had bought games before they were removed from the store, you could still redownload them again at a later date as they would be in your account history. That is how it has worked for another game that this happened to, but that was on XBLA. Is this policy different on PSN?

RobertM

Urban Scholar said:
My favorite game republic game right there.
Aren't those guys going under? Who owns the license then?

edit: Hmm joint publishing with SCEI, well that still makes no sense.

Man said:
That's a dual-edged sword. You can never re-download it (though you can download it via Media GO and save it on your PC).
This makes no sense. You should be able to re-download the game from your download history even if it's removed off of PSN.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I read "licensing issues" but I think "everyone at Game Republic is dead issues".

Takao

Banned
FFFUUU I can't login to PSN thanks to that stupid email hijinks and buy it now. :(

Man said:

This isn't true.

I own Dragon Ball Z:Shin Budokai - Another Road, which was removed from PSN, and can freely download it from the store in my download list.

Man

pharmboy044 said:
This makes no sense. You should be able to re-download the game from your download history even if it's removed off of PSN.
Ah. I assumed it was wiped off.
Silent Hill 1 was removed from EU PSN after some tech license went out. I can still download it today sp maybe this as well then.

Baron

Not going to bite. I went and bought Marble Blast Ultra on XBLA when it was found out it was going to be delisted from the service, and I was completely underwhelmed by the game.

Furthermore, this game is still available on UMD if you go looking for it, no?

This game is on my list of purchases, but I was gonna try for a physical copy.

Now I might have to go out after dinner and try to find it. :/

Takao

Banned
RobertM said:
Aren't those guys going under? Who owns the license then?

edit: Hmm joint publishing with SCEI, well that still makes no sense.

Localization licensing do have expiration dates, especially if the game is a licensed one. Which Brave Story: New Traveler is (it's based off a movie based off a light novel).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Man said:

Is this confirmed ? I thought you could always download it as long as you bought it, even if it was delisted, like some games on xbla like mortal kombat etc.

Own the game, but no longer have a PSP. Guess i should try to get it with Media Go just in case. Or can you download it on a PS3 and transfer to a PSP later ?

Ravidrath

Wario64 said:
Digital distribution folks.

No, I think that was just a poorly-handled contract.

The wording is vague, but I think this is likely Sony's contract with the Brave Story license-holder causing problems, so of like with KH:BBS or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

Takao

Banned
Assuming I can get into PSN before it is removed I'll try to buy it so I can have an NGP compatible version.

Jigsaw

Banned
i have it on umd but i may want to replay it in a few years on vita,damn

buy or no buy?can anyone say for sure that i will be able to still re-download it in 10 years?xseed?anyone?

Lesiroth

Wait, What the fuck? Why not renew the license? I'd imagine it would get a few sales from new NGP owners around that time.

In any case, since this will supposedly stay on your account even after its removed, PSP/future NGP owners; BUY THIS. It's just one fucking awesome old school RPG.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I weep for whoever bought it, never bothered with keeping it on disk, and missed this announcement.

Game rentals FTW!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh man, just my luck. This was the only game I wanted to catch up on and bought it on PSN instead of trying to get a physical copy.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jigsaw said:

buy or no buy?can anyone say for sure that i will be able to still re-download it in 10 years?xseed?anyone?
I don't think XSeed can guarantee that you'll be alive, or that electricity will still exist in 2021.

Takao

Banned
Jigsaw said:

No one can say for sure, but like I mentioned earlier, both Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai games were removed from PSN in mid-2010 due to licensing issues, but I can still freely download the one I bought from the download list.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh no!

PSP RPG fans who haven't gotten their hands on either the DD or UMD release of this should really try to. It's one of my favourite RPGs for the system.

Here's some gameplay.

Edited to add more gameplay! This one has the carriage on the world map and some additional characters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great game, shame they're taking it off. The least Sony can do is keep the better games on their own dime.

Volcynika

Yeah I won a UMD copy from a contest of XSEED's. My friend enjoyed it, said it wasn't super special, but it was a solid old-schoolish RPG.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If someone wants to give me a $20 PSN card, I'll buy it. Otherwise I'm not too fussed as I can probably hunt a UMD copy down if I want to really play the game later. *shrug* I've got PE1/2, FM3, Vagrant Story to buy once PE2 is on the store. >_<

Top Bottom