• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo > Sony (Nintendo staves off hackers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOS ANGELES — Nintendo's U.S.-based servers were attacked several weeks ago but no consumer data was stolen, the company said on Sunday.

Nintendo is the latest company to be targeted by cyber criminals in a hacking attack. In April, hackers broke into Sony Corp's servers and exposed the personal information of more than 100 million of its customers. No group has taken responsibility for that attack.

Nintendo's break-in did not affect consumers' information, the company said.

"The server contained no consumer information. The protection of our customer information is our utmost priority," Nintendo of America, the company's U.S. unit, said in an e-mailed statement.

"We constantly monitor our security," Nintendo said.

On Sunday, the hacker group Lulzsec said it had attacked Nintendo in a statement posted on its Twitter feed. Lulzsec is the same group that broke into the servers that run Sony Pictures Entertainment websites last week, and claimed attacks on U.S. PBS television and Fox.com.

Lulzsec tweeted it had taken one file but "we didn't mean any harm. Nintendo had already fixed it anyway."

Nintendo is expected to unveil its new gaming console and successor to its hit product, the Wii, on Tuesday. It will be the first home console to enter the market in five years.

The bolded part seems awfully pointed. LOL

I don't have any nintendo consoles so I'm unfamiliar with their online strategy. Is there a XBLA/PSN type service for Wii?

RustyNails said:
I don't have any nintendo consoles so I'm unfamiliar with their online strategy. Is there a XBLA/PSN type service for Wii?
They use friend codes....not IDs....like you're identification is based solely on a 12 digit number.

tuffy

RustyNails said:
Nintendo's online service doesn't save personal information; everything is tied to the devices themselves. This limits how much valuable data an attacker can get.

DMczaf

Lulzsec tweeted it had taken one file but "we didn't mean any harm. Nintendo had already fixed it anyway."

jLnXp.jpg

Jin34

RustyNails said:

Yes but nowhere near as good, however they do have personal information since you can buy points with your credit card from the Wii, not to mention that if you have a Club Nintendo account for the free goodies then they have your personal data.

So all the jokes aside they do have sensitive information, it's just Nintendo is the last of the 3 you would try to get it from because they have less of it and likely not as centralized as MS/Sony.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Damn homie, Nintendo so pro with it. I heard they even have random generated friend code bot so the hackers can never find your actual friend codes. Anti-hack beast tactics ftw.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
To be fair, they still have club Nintendo which has a fair buy of personal information I'm sure, albeit no credit card info.

loosus

Banned
Hate to pile on, but really...what is there to hack? You have to enter your credit-card information each and every single time that you do anything, so they are obviously not storing it beyond the time it takes to pass it to the validator.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
When it comes to online stuff, Nintendo values security over functionality, so this isn't surprising.

tuffy

Jin34 said:
Yes but nowhere near as good, however they do have personal information since you can buy points with your credit card from the Wii, not to mention that if you have a Club Nintendo account for the free goodies then they have your personal data.
Credit card info doesn't stay on Nintendo's servers, it gets passed on to a payment gateway where it becomes someone else's problem. Otherwise you wouldn't have to re-enter card numbers each time. Club Nintendo info is a different story, but that's not directly attached to their consoles.

Jin34 said:

So all the jokes aside they do have sensitive information, it's just Nintendo is the last of the 3 you would try to get it from because they have less of it and likely not as centralized as MS/Sony.
Ah. Thank you gents.

Jin34

tuffy said:
Credit card info doesn't stay on Nintendo's servers, it gets passed on to a payment gateway where it becomes someone else's problem. Otherwise you wouldn't have to re-enter card numbers each time. Club Nintendo info is a different story, but that's not directly attached to their consoles.

Hmm perhaps the slight nuisance of having to enter it every time is not so bad after all.

notworksafe

Really the hackers took 100% of the zero good info on the servers. Of course no one would even notice the hack, as the only online games Nintendo have run like garbage anyway.

kehs

Banned
Not true, here's an excerpt from a torrent posted with alot of friend codes:

94jfkso39485u
djeu83950oks
kmv83idkos95

worldrunover said:
Do you guys realize you can buy content online on your Wii, right?

But how does it work?

Do you have a username and password that Nintendo stores? Do they store your credit card info?

Honest questions.

Other than that, Nintendo probably has millions of names and addresses stored somewhere in a database. Not that your name and address leaking is some terrible threat since it's generally public info.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the Wii has online capabilities?

nVidiot_Whore said:
But how does it work?

Do you have a username and password that Nintendo stores? Do they store your credit card info?

Honest questions.

Other than that, Nintendo probably has millions of names and addresses stored somewhere in a database. Not that your name and address leaking is some terrible threat since it's generally public info.

You enter in credit card info. Whether Nintendo stores this info or not I'm not sure, but any time you're buying something over the internet there is inherent risk.

Qwomo

krypt0nian said:
What's he saying? You banned?
Door2Dawn said:
banned meme
Ugh. For the millionth time, memes like "u mad" are not banned. They are only disallowed when used to derail or devalue discussions, or to directly disrespect another poster. Just saying "u mad" or "haters gonna hate" or "deal with it" is not going to get you banned, particularly in contexts like above.

So stop backseat modding, you're bad at it, go away.

kehs

Banned
Qwomo said:
Ugh. For the millionth time, memes like "u mad" are not banned. They are only disallowed when used to derail or devalue discussions, or to directly disrespect another poster. Just saying "u mad" or "haters gonna hate" or "deal with it" is not going to get you banned, particularly in contexts like above.

So stop backseat modding, you're bad at it, go away.

4k9dk3k.gif

Forsete

xbhaskarx said:
"Nintendo had already fixed it anyway."

So it DIDN'T take nearly a month to fix??

Its like comparing the time it takes to fix a bike with the time it takes to fix a F1 car. :p

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Willy105 said:
You'd be surprised how many people don't know about this.
I honestly think 95% of the Wii users that have their console connected online are all on Netflix.

Slime

Banned
Copernicus said:
Not true, here's an excerpt from a torrent posted with alot of friend codes:

94jfkso39485u
djeu83950oks
kmv83idkos95

Shit, they got to me. I'll never feel secure again.

bon

Sony was probably the easiest target. Nintendo is crazily careful about online stuff, and good luck attacking Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom