• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

bUc0T.jpg

vpQJs.jpg

aAagl.png

NK0Qe.gif
NK0Qe.gif

K63F9.png

c5Sfm.png
c5Sfm.png
c5Sfm.png

c5Sfm.png
c5Sfm.png
c5Sfm.png

c5Sfm.png
c5Sfm.png

s0lQt.png

3jUMw.png

3jUMw.png

1mf3X.png

4VK1t.jpg

t0wXR.png

9vzoo.png
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER is one of the most famous examples of vaporware in the industry. Duke Nukem Forever was a computer game that had been under development
9vzoo.png
by 3D Realms since its announcement on April 28th, 1997, originally slated to use the (then) state of the art Quake II 3D engine. A few months later, screen shots were
9vzoo.png
published in PC Gamer magazine, along with an intended release date of mid-1998. Excitement grew in May of 1998 when a few short video clips of Duke Nukem Forever were
9vzoo.png
shown at E3... Surely a final release of the game was right around the corner!

9vzoo.png
Just about when mid-1998 arrived (June, specifically) 3D Realms announced they were changing 3D engines to Epic's Unreal engine. George Broussard, the producer and co-creator
9vzoo.png
of the Duke Nukem series insisted that this change would not cause any significant delay, despite all logic pointing to the contrary. Also at this point, Broussard assured everyone
9vzoo.png
Duke Nukem Forever would see a 1999 release.

9vzoo.png
1999 came and went, Duke Nukem Forever saw another engine change, this time to an updated version of the same Unreal engine they were working on. 3D Realms even released
9vzoo.png
a Duke Nukem Christmas card, insinuating a 2000 release. Not surprisingly, the year 2000 came and went without Duke Nukem Forever. Another Christmas card was released,
9vzoo.png
this time hinting at a 2001 release.

9vzoo.png
In the summer of 2001, 3D Realms released the most substantial proof to date that Duke Nukem Forever has ever existed in any form- a two and a half minute game play trailer:

9hs2U.png

9vzoo.png
In 2002, 3D Realms hired new programmers, and decided instead of switching to another 3D engine, they would just develop their own, making this the fourth engine change since
9vzoo.png
the initial announcement of the game. Broussard eventually came out to say that at this point, "95%" of the already designed levels had been scraped, and had they remained on track
9vzoo.png
they would have been "two years" off from releasing Duke Nukem Forever under the Unreal engine.

9vzoo.png
In early 2003, the CEO of Take Two, 3D Realms' publisher announced Duke Nukem Forever would be released by the end of the year. This eventually changed to "by the end of 2004"
9vzoo.png
and then "in the beginning of 2005." In September of 2004, GameSpot.com revealed a rumor that Duke Nukem Forever had made its fifth 3D engine change, this time using the Quake
9vzoo.png
III engine. Broussard denied the rumor, but announced only a few days later that they had switched to a different physics engine for the game.

9vzoo.png
Duke Nukem Forever news in the years to follow was limited to rumblings on forums and mostly consisted of drama between 3D Realms and Take Two which wasn't very interesting.
9vzoo.png
During this time, the only thing we've even saw that provided any proof that anything was even happening with Duke Nukem Forever is a small (and I mean SMALL) 200x125 image
9vzoo.png
of a supposed screen shot which was posted on several 3D Realms job postings online.

9vzoo.png
A Duke Nukem Forever teaser was released on the 19th of December, 2007.

9hs2U.png

9vzoo.png
In May 2009, 3D Realms was downsized for financial reasons, resulting in the loss of the game's development team. Statements by the company indicated that the project was due to go
9vzoo.png
gold soon with pictures of final development. Take-Two Interactive, which owns the publishing rights to the game, filed a lawsuit in 2009 against 3D Realms over their failure to finish development.
9vzoo.png
3D Realms retorted that Take-Two's legal interest in the game is limited to their publishing right. The case was settled with prejudice and details undisclosed in May 2010.

9vzoo.png
In 2010 several videos, first in February (#1), then in April (#2) leaked onto the internet featuring never-before-seen footage of the game.

9vzoo.png
On September 3, 2010, after 13 years, Duke Nukem Forever was officially reported by 2K Games to be in development at Gearbox Software. It was originally confirmed to be released on May 3, 2011
9vzoo.png
in North America, with a worldwide release following on May 6, 2011. This has however been delayed by a month to June 10 internationally with a North American release on June 14.

9vzoo.png
On May 24, 2011, it was announced that Duke Nukem Forever finally went gold after 14 years. After going gold the launch trailer for Duke Nukem Forever was released on June 2, 2011.

9vzoo.png
The final game runs on a modified version of Unreal Engine 2.x; including a new physics engine called Meqon which was later acquired by PhysX, and a new renderer based on deferred rendering.

9vzoo.png
Starting June 10th, THE DUKE IS BACK and ready to kick some ass.

9vzoo.png
For more Duke history, visit here.

chp5c.png

o7mTl.jpg

jUE1F.png

qYBrC.jpg
rYNEn.png
Zj2fX.jpg
rYNEn.png
Ymogi.jpg
rYNEn.png
AWCFs.jpg
rYNEn.png
x3c5L.jpg
rYNEn.png
D2CiJ.jpg
rYNEn.png
F6rse.jpg
rYNEn.png
SJMzl.jpg
rYNEn.png
tcT1w.jpg
rYNEn.png
uJcY9.jpg

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nice job with the thread, but I think I preferred "it took 14 years, and it could use 14 more" the best. ;)

Sethos

Banned
Chiggs said:
Nice job with the thread, but I think I preferred "it took 14 years, and it could use 14 more" the best. ;)

Excellent thread sir, however I agree with the man above. ( Not that I proposed that or anything >.> )

MNC

Screw the haters, I'm going to enjoy this game wether it's shitty or not. Still love the 2001 trailer best. The semi-awesome 3D from that era has that awesome charm. Seeing all these screenshots not in the demo (I'm sick of seeing the same fucking demo over and over) make me happy and I'm interested in where the game will take us.

Yeah, there's that design doc released way back, but I never read it because of a possible release in the future of DNF :p

Weenerz

Banned
KIJNQ.jpg

Grabbing this for a new avatar, since some a-hole stole my other one.

Also, buying the game for nostalgia, but the demo was completely shitty.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Weenerz said:
KIJNQ.jpg

Grabbing this for a new avatar, since some a-hole stole my other one.

Also, buying the game for nostalgia, but the demo was completely shitty.

My personal price for nostalagia (barring some completely out of left field reviews, as in 90% or higher) is $29.99.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This is gonna be awesome.

(That Soundblaster MIDI version of grabbag is terrible btw. Get a proper version played on a SoundCanvas! :p)

Weenerz

Banned
Chiggs said:
My personal price for nostalagia (barring some completely out of left field reviews, as in 90% or higher) is $29.99.

I'm going balls of steel, taking the bust to work and slapping it on my desk. Can't wait for people to ask what is it and I shall inform then that it is Lord Duke Nukem, God among insects.

Nocebo

I pre-ordered the balls of steel edition but after playing the demo I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the two weapons limit at all, plus the second demo level was boring as hell. I'll keep my pre-order, though. Because I'm a sucker I guess.
I'll try to play it but I might have to wait for a mod that removes this silly limit in order to be able to enjoy the game fully.

jgminto

I'm really excited for the multiplayer. Obviously the 2 weapon limit will be less fun but I am still excited.

MrFortyFive

I wasn't sure whether I was happy or sad to learn that this was coming out. I made a bet a long while ago that if it ever came out, I would buy the best/most expensive edition day 1. I guess we'll see how it turns out. Those balls of steel better not disappoint.

My original idea for the thread was to make it an evolution of the internet... start with a bunch of shitty textures and pixelated images, add a bunch of animated .gifs, then progressively get better looking.

But oh well, this will do.

Cannot wait.

Thanks everyone.

mileS

man the 2001 trailer... so hyped back in the day for that.. why oh why couldn't they finish it at that point, with that engine.

mileS said:
man the 2001 trailer... so hyped back in the day for that.. why oh why couldn't they finish it at that point with that engine.
Supposedly, that wasn't an engine and they built specific demo maps just to make a trailer.

I don't know who to believe on that one.

MMaRsu

Banned
Weird spacing in the about the game section

OT

HOLY SHIT ITS THE FUCKING DUKE NUKEM FOREVER YEA BABY ITS FINALLY HEEEEEEEEEERE :D

Grabbing this one

D2CiJ.jpg

Can't believe it's finally here, still feels a bit surreal. Sadly I'm broke right now, but I will get this game by summer's end.

Hell fucking yeah!

It doesn't even matter if the game is good or not; that's almost besides the point now. Either way, it's going to be part of gaming history.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm sorry to say this but is it okay to say that in this instance we are all posting in a legendary thread? :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MMaRsu said:
I'm sorry to say this but is it okay to say that in this instance we are all posting in a legendary thread? :p

It's literally a thread of the Forever

Hellcrow said:
So... what do we wait and hope for after DNF?

Shenmue III, Blood III, a new F-Zero, a new Chrono Trigger, FF VII remake, FF Vs XIII, a new, good game from Rare, getting sucked by one mirrion troops, a new, good Silent Hill game and a new, good Zelda HD game (pick your choice)

Top Bottom