• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

I've been watching birds out my back yard for the last few weeks, strangely, and this demo struck an oddly pleasant chord with me. It'd be nice if they threw that in with the U as just a little thing to fuck around with.

evolution

I don't know that didn't really look impressive to me. I thought Kojima's tech demo looked just as good and that was running on a 360.

Kozak

Banned
evolution said:
I don't know that didn't really look impressive to me. I thought Kojima's tech demo looked just as good and that was running on a 360.

It is impressive. Its just graphics have come such a long way since then.

The jump from Ps2/Xbox to Ps3/Xbox360 was so huge that we won't exactly be impressed by jumps from Ps3/X360 to WiiU/Ps4/X3.

ShinNL

If games of all genres look like this (granted, if assets are made with this much effort), it'll be great.

jediyoshi

onQ123 said:

Grabs
CXMVa.png

vcNJW.png

YNnWf.png

BmgdG.png

BeeDog

I'm not particularly impressed by this tech demo, to be honest. While it doesn't look bad per se, it's not a major leap over current consoles. For example, the water reflection effect is pretty bad, and the textures of the tree when the bird lands are very sub-par. But I guess it's the sum of all things that matter, and it's quite better than Wii anyhow.

Something about the Wii system music that played on the channel screen always made me think that Nintendo should really make a "relax" channel. This reinforces that idea in my mind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From the hands on thread:

"Nintendo played an interactive cinematic that put all my fears to rest. The difference in quality between that sequence and this was light years apart, making me wonder why I watched the hawk video in the first place."

hahaha weird.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stumpokapow said:

"Nintendo played an interactive cinematic that put all my fears to rest. The difference in quality between that sequence and this was light years apart, making me wonder why I watched the hawk video in the first place."

hahaha weird.
Yeah, hahah, how did that look like a hawk to him?!

Exuro

Stumpokapow said:

hahaha weird.
Yeah I want to see this other cinematic.

Busaiku

Stumpokapow said:

hahaha weird.
Wait, so the actual demo is better than this?

My money is on Epic.

It seriously had this "unreal" thing to it.....

That and Mark Rain's ".... water meet fish...." Tweet had me thinking...

That or a Epic Ocean with UE3 would be rather nice!

Neo C.

I didn't read the board during the presentation of the demo, but I immediately thought: "Does the average gaffer actually understand the demo?" The answer is obvious though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Neo C. said:
I didn't read the board during the presentation of the demo, but I immediately thought: "Does the average gaffer actually understand the demo?" The answer is obvious though.
Did you "understand" it? Please explain if you did.

Bert

Busaiku said:
Wait, so the actual demo is better than this?

No, there is a different demo that no-one outside of the press previews has seen, one set on a Japanese street. I want to see this.

Neo C.

xxracerxx said:
Did you "understand" it? Please explain if you did.
That's my point! :p
I can't tell all the different shaders and the amount of polygons and whatnot they used in it. So my conclusion was: "Yeah, it's pretty useless for your average viewer".

wsippel

Banned
BeeDog said:
I'm not particularly impressed by this tech demo, to be honest. While it doesn't look bad per se, it's not a major leap over current consoles. For example, the water reflection effect is pretty bad, and the textures of the tree when the bird lands are very sub-par. But I guess it's the sum of all things that matter, and it's quite better than Wii anyhow.
Diminishing returns. Deal with it now, or you'll be very disappointed over the next decade or so.

Pocks

According to one of the write-ups, the nature demo was actually a bit longer than what we saw during the conference. It continues after the koi jump. There is a hawk or larger bird that hops around in the snow.

Found it (Kotaku):

The sparrow dropped that blossom into the lake, drawing the attention of a school of koi. The fish emerged from the surface, splashing, scales glistening wet. A bright orange koi leapt from the pond, again kicking in a dramatic slow-motion pause.

The "Garden" demonstration then refocused its attention on another bird, a falcon gliding over a softly rippling lake. The demo dramatically slowed to zoom in on the bird as it flew by, offering a detailed look at its plumage, each feather rendered in a photorealistic style. It soared over a rock garden, magically drawing concentric circles in the dry sands with a powerful mystic wind. Snow began to fall, at first whipping in the wind but eventually collecting. The Falcon landed. It hopped through the piling snow, leaving impressions on its surface in real-time.

Cartman86

Banned
Ehhh I thought this and the Zelda video looked like the best graphics and animations of any thing shown ever for videogames (besides that Unreal Next Gen tech) so far. At times (streaming though) it looked like CG because the animations were so good. I probably need to see it in HD. The next Sony and Microsoft consoles will surpass it and it is a tech demo devoted to one specific thing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This was a very nice demo. The one demo that, to me, looked appreciably 'more' than what we've seen on PS3/360. Not sure how anyone would laugh at this after seeing Zelda, from what I've seen anyway - it wasn't as good as this, I think there was some serious franchise sentimentality going on there.

Top Bottom