• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

Pocks

I know I've said this 2 or 3 times in earlier threads.. but it bears repeating that this demo was created on early dev equipment. Reggie emphasized this in his interview with Geoff.

I can't wait to see what developers can create on the final hardwire a couple of years down the road.

Heavy said:
Wasn't impressed at all by the bird demo... thought it was really bad. I want Epic Samaritan level graphics for my next-gen console, or near them.
It's good to want things. Getting those things is another issue.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
jetjevons said:
Thanks! That looks incredible. I can't believe people claim it's not beyond the PS360. Nothing (yet) guarantees WiiU will be able to pull this off in games, but this demo most certainly is beyond any game on any platform, including PC (yes, The Witcher 2 too). The blossoms alone are enough of a tell. Call it bullshit or whatever else if you're so inclined, but saying it's 360 level is just laughable or at the very least shows the person saying so is half blind and should have been happy with the Wii too instead of join the hate wagon.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Truth101 said:
I know we're talking about your video already, thanks for taping it.

Ah. Gotcha.

To answer a question posed earlier in this thread while the demo was running you could i) use the analog stick to shift the angle of the camera displaying the on-screen image and ii) move the Wii-U controller around in 360 space like a virtual window into the environment.

Truth101

Banned
jetjevons said:
Ah. Gotcha.

To answer a question posed earlier in this thread while the demo was running you could i) use the analog stick to shift the angle of the camera displaying the on-screen image and ii) move the Wii-U controller around in 360 space like a virtual window into the environment.

Thanks for confirming that, then it is indeed running in real-time and off an old hardware revision to boot.

I can't wait till we see footage of games built ground up for the Wii U, hopefully we will get a glimpse of some of those tomorrow. This is indeed a generation leap beyond the PS3/360, I honestly don't understand how some people think it is barely on par with those systems.

Daschysta

The quality of the live streams made this look much worse than it does even offscreen from an eyephone!

To me the full demo looked incredible, far above anything i've seen running on my PS3

BTW, the tablet screen was also streaming different content with the same visual fidelity as the main screen demo, but the frame rate was slightly slower (but not jarring like the ghost recon demo next to it). Great rain effects onto the lake were prominently showcased on it when I was trying it out.

Cipherr

big_z said:
360/ps3 can handle the gamcube nature demo with ease it is not impressive anymore. the wii u nature demo is nothing impressive either, looks current gen.

Is this the next step after saying the games in the WiiU demo reel looked worse than their PS360 counterparts? Only to later find out PS360 video footage was used in that reel :lol

Looking at that Iphone video that demo takes a steaming dump on current gen. You are out of your mind.

Morkins

Banned
=HERO= said:
They don't do it a lot, but they move it around during the "press b" scene by the koi lake.

Definitely amazing seeing the full version. It's soooooo weird that so little of the graphical power that this system has was shown off, despite clearly having at least some advantage, if not quite an advantage over PS3/360.

What I suspect is that either Nintendo is hiding it and spreading it across the entire conference(tomorrow maybe), or the games just are not far enough along to actually show anything...

Pocks

There were some rumblings that Epic made the nature demo, largely due to his tweet.
RT @Michael_French @MarkRein So that means you're supporting Wii U? ;) <--No announcement to make today but let's just way "Water meet fish"
In reality, this was a reference to his earlier comments about Unreal Engine on the 3DS. Back in March in an interview with Joystiq, Rein said "The second Nintendo releases a piece of hardware that can run our engine well, we'll be on it like water on fish."

So now it all makes sense. Rein is essentially saying that Wii U can run the engine well. Of course this was already a given considering Batman and other announced titles for Wii U, but at least we know it wasn't a reference to the bird/garden demo.

Pocks said:
I know I've said this 2 or 3 times in earlier threads.. but it bears repeating that this demo was created on early dev equipment. Reggie emphasized this in his interview with Geoff.

I can't wait to see what developers can create on the final hardwire a couple of years down the road.

If we have learned something about console hardware development in that early kits are always downgraded in final consoles.

Kozak

Banned
amstradcpc said:
If we have learned something about console hardware development in that early kits are always downgraded in final consoles.

When the fuck did we learn this LOOOOOOL

big_z said:
360/ps3 can handle the gamcube nature demo with ease it is not impressive anymore. the wii u nature demo is nothing impressive either, looks current gen.

I don't know what you got toked up on before you watched that, but that's far from "nothing impressive" by a long shot.

Kozak said:
When the fuck did we learn this LOOOOOOL

For example Xbox 360 and PS3:

early devkits with off the shelf gpus with 256 bits of memory bandwith. Final with 128. In fact PS3 early dev kits had a 6800x2 gpu more powerful than a 7600 in the final hard.
GPU speed downgraded from 550 mhz to 500 mhz.
CPU speed downgraded from 3,5 Ghz to 3x2 Ghz.

Xbox 1:

Initial GPU capable of 300 millions of polygons / sec. Final hardware with less vertex pipes capable of only 125...

Alextended said:
Nothing (yet) guarantees WiiU will be able to pull this off in games, but this demo most certainly is beyond any game on any platform, including PC (yes, The Witcher 2 too). The blossoms alone are enough of a tell.
Let's not go overboard here, pal

Alexios

slopeslider said:
Let's not go overboard here, pal
Where did I go overboard? I'm just out of playing The Witcher 2 and, while I can't run it sufficiently at max settings, I've most certainly checked out a lot of it with such, and it's nowhere near that level of detail. I mean, the awful foliage alone is enough of a difference when this demo goes to nearly microcosm level of detail. You could at least back up what you're saying with a screenshot and if there's a PC game so pretty that I've yet to see I'd certainly concede that, yes, that one's close, or better even.

Alextended said:
Where did I go overboard? I'm just out of playing The Witcher 2 and, while I can't run it sufficiently at max settings, I've most certainly checked out a lot of it with such, and it's nowhere near that level of detail. I mean, the awful foliage alone is enough of a tell.
The Witcher 2 is not the pinnacle of pc gaming, I don't know why everyone keeps bringing that game up this E3
Or does the Wii U plan to have 2 top of the line, cutting edge gpu's in SLI to compete with a top class gaming rig?
It's definitely a league above current gen consoles, but to say it outperforms a PC is a bit much.

Alexios

I was very specific in what I said. I didn't say it outperforms anything. I spoke of the graphics in that tech demo, The level of detail is beyond any game I have seen. Maybe an SLI PC could run it at double the resolution and double the frame rate, but nobody has made something similar on such a system because they've catered to much lower end systems as well as consoles, holding the output of the top machines back.

Xtyle

Alextended said:
Thanks! That looks incredible. I can't believe people claim it's not beyond the PS360. Nothing (yet) guarantees WiiU will be able to pull this off in games, but this demo most certainly is beyond any game on any platform, including PC (yes, The Witcher 2 too). The blossoms alone are enough of a tell. Call it bullshit or whatever else if you're so inclined, but saying it's 360 level is just laughable or at the very least shows the person saying so is half blind and should have been happy with the Wii too instead of join the hate wagon.

So much contradiction. If games like The Witcher 2 aren't even comparable, I fail to see a console (Wii U!) being able to go anywhere near it in a game. So, what is the point of the demo? Just because other consoles don't have prettier demos don't mean they aren't capable of it.

Alexios

bigben85 said:
So much contradiction. If games like The Witcher 2 aren't even comparable, I fail to see a console (Wii U!) being able to go anywhere near it in a game. So, what is the point of the demo? Just because other consoles don't have prettier demos don't mean they aren't capable of it.
I think something's wrong with your understanding of English. My use of it isn't the best, but I think it's pretty decent. I didn't contradict myself anywhere. People said this particular demo looks so so, 360 level, whatever else. I don't know if games will look this good on Wii U and I make that clear. I'm also not saying Wii U games will NOT look like this. I don't have a time machine you see, so I can't promise you anything about its games. What I said is that the demo, as shown, which is what people discussed and what I'm discussing here, is beyond any actual game I've seen, contrary to what others have stated, and maybe save for Epic's own recent tech demos (which aren't actual games, yet, so are not applicable to my statements). That's all I'm saying. Feel free to disagree. Ask Nintendo what the point of the demo is, I don't care, I spoke of what I saw only.

It shocks me deeply that people say this is not over PS3/360 level.
basicly everything in that demo blows this-gen stuff out of the water.

Xtyle

Alextended said:
I think something's wrong with your understanding of English. My use of it isn't the best, but I think it's pretty decent. I didn't contradict myself anywhere. People said this particular demo looks so so, 360 level, whatever else. I don't know if games will look this good on Wii U and I make that clear. I'm also not saying Wii U games will NOT look like this. I don't have a time machine you see. What I said is, the demo, as shown, which is what people discussed and what I'm discussing here, is beyond any actual game I've seen, save for Epic's own tech demos (not games, so not applicable to my statements). That's all I'm saying. Feel free to disagree. Ask Nintendo what the point of the demo is, I don't care, I spoke of what I saw and of people's comments for what I saw.

But you are comparing a demo to actual games...of course the impression is that it is 100 times beyond any games out there or coming. Calling it beyond 360 level or PC or whatever is silly in that sense.

Alexios

bigben85 said:
of course the impression is that it is 100 times beyond any games out there or coming.
So you more or less agree with me. I'm glad. That's all I did too, stated the obvious, vs people claiming otherwise. See ya.

I think what impresses me the most in both this demonstration and the Zelda tech-demo are the small details that add so much, like the lighting and particle effects. It boggles my mind that there are people who still say that the Wii U barely struggles to meet par with current-gen standards.

iamaustrian said:
It shocks me deeply that people say this is not over PS3/360 level.
basicly everything in that demo blows this-gen stuff out of the water.
Which makes sense because its a next gen machine.

Xtyle

Necromanti said:
It boggles my mind that there are people who still say that the Wii U barely struggles to meet par with current-gen standards.

Maybe it really isn't that impressive for some people? If it had any sort of interaction I would be impressed. And no, being able to move the camera around isn't enough (other than proving it being real time). I have never gone crazy over non interactive demos. The early PS3 tech demo, the early unreal tech demo...they were not indicative of real game graphics achievable.

Durante

I'm so happy that graphics are important for all gamers again.

Ydahs said:
Woah. Nintendo, or whichever development studio put this together, need to release a direct feed HD video of this..
They should, I want to see what it really looks like.

orioto

Good Art™
People are over reacting on each side !

What's shown is clearly above ps360 games but it's a demo, even real time, and i'm not sure a similar demo couldn't be done on those hardware.

I always imagined the WiU being somewhat equal or slightly less powerfull than current consoles with some modern shaders. I don't know for sure, but i'm pretty certain that the Zelda and Bird demo could probably be done by a hardware that would push less assets than ps360 with more modern shaders.

iamblades

Necromanti said:
I think what impresses me the most in both this demonstration and the Zelda tech-demo are the small details that add so much, like the lighting and particle effects. It boggles my mind that there are people who still say that the Wii U barely struggles to meet par with current-gen standards.
For me it's the DoF.

Too many games use that overly shallow popup book style DoF, the techdemos showed a nice smooth realistic type DoF. That rack focus when the bird lands in the tree is sweet.

Lighting effects are nice too, and the dripping rain on the rocks in the later part of the demo is awesome.

Textures seemed a bit flat in spots and the water shader/physics were kinda off, but otherwise really impressive.

bigben85 said:
Maybe it really isn't that impressive for some people? If it had any sort of interaction I would be impressed. And no, being able to move the camera around isn't enough (other than proving it being real time). I have never gone crazy over non interactive demos. The early PS3 tech demo, the early unreal tech demo...they were not indicative of real game graphics achievable.
How would being able to control the bird AND the camera convince you more than the camera alone?

Top Bottom