• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Nature Graphics Demo (Extended video + better looking segments in thread)

Bert

IGN said:
In addition to a few mini-games and one major franchise cinematic, Nintendo's presentation to me included a couple sequences designed to show off the power of the system and the innovative applications of the controller. The first, simply called "HD Experience," featured a hawk soaring through a traditional Japanese setting including cherry blossom trees and a temple. Graphically the scene was far better than Wii, of course, but I wasn't impressed at all with the quality of the textures or aesthetic design. For something that was supposed to demonstrate the power of the system, this particularly sequence failed to impress. One noteworthy element was that the tablet controller was replicating the visuals on the TV on its smaller screen, and moving the tablet would cause the camera behind the hawk to move, allowing the player to see more of the landscape.

The rough shape of this demo is no cause for concern, however. At the end of my time with the new system, Nintendo played an interactive cinematic that put all my fears to rest. The difference in quality between that sequence and this was light years apart, making me wonder why I watched the hawk video in the first place.

The second major tech demonstration featured live footage of Japan, with a camera moving down a crowded street, hovering above vehicles. Like the hawk demo, the tablet was also featuring the footage shown on the television. But as I moved the new controller, I was able to see more of the city around me, without altering what was being shown on the larger screen. I could move the tablet upward to see the sky, or downward to see the street moving under me. Even more impressive, I could start to rotate the controller or "aim" it behind me to see where I had been. Pressing a button would also flip the portable display behind me, allowing me to see backwards similar to a rearview mirror. The potential for racing games with this sort of technology is truly impressive.

This is what I was on about. Why haven't we seen this??

Boken

Banned
Pocks said:
According to one of the write-ups, the nature demo was actually a bit longer than what we saw during the conference. It continues after the koi jump. There is a hawk or larger bird that hops around in the snow.

Found it (Kotaku):

The sparrow dropped that blossom into the lake, drawing the attention of a school of koi. The fish emerged from the surface, splashing, scales glistening wet. A bright orange koi leapt from the pond, again kicking in a dramatic slow-motion pause.

The "Garden" demonstration then refocused its attention on another bird, a falcon gliding over a softly rippling lake. The demo dramatically slowed to zoom in on the bird as it flew by, offering a detailed look at its plumage, each feather rendered in a photorealistic style. It soared over a rock garden, magically drawing concentric circles in the dry sands with a powerful mystic wind. Snow began to fall, at first whipping in the wind but eventually collecting. The Falcon landed. It hopped through the piling snow, leaving impressions on its surface in real-time.
Yes, clearly he mistook the sparrow for the hawk. That's the only possible reason.

Pocks

Boken said:
Yes, clearly he mistook the sparrow for the hawk. That's the only possible reason.

Or the falcon. I just want to see the second half of the demo, with the falcon prancing around in the snow.

I'd also love to see the direct feed, not some cam capture of the screen.

Jinko

Korez said:
It's Shenmue 3?

:>

Haha if only ... /sigh

CoffeeJanitor said:
I do think diminishing returns are real but I don't think we've hit that point yet.

It's not just diminishing returns though, as processors get more and more complex we as human beings get less and less capable of taking full advantage of them, that and the cost of a game made with CGI quality assets would cost a fortune.

Jinko said:
It's not just diminishing returns though, as processors get more and more complex we as human beings get less and less capable of taking full advantage of them, that and the cost of a game made with CGI quality assets would cost a fortune.
Agreed...Sorry for the confrontational reply

TheExodu5

Banned
If this is real time, I don't see how anyone could possibly disappointed by this. This would be the most impressive graphical showpiece we've seen since the UE4 tech demo.

Again, I have my doubts, but I'm open to the possibility.

The M.O.B

TheExodu5 said:
If this is real time, I don't see how anyone could possibly disappointed by this. This would be the most impressive graphical showpiece we've seen since the UE4 tech demo.

Again, I have my doubts, but I'm open to the possibility.

I'm only dissapointed by Nintendo not releasing 1080p direct-feeds screens/video of these demos.

The only thing we can judge right now is blurry screen captures from a livestream.

:/

Eh here's IGN's write up on it..
One noteworthy element was that the tablet controller was replicating the visuals on the TV on its smaller screen, and moving the tablet would cause the camera behind the hawk to move, allowing the player to see more of the landscape.

The rough shape of this demo is no cause for concern, however. At the end of my time with the new system, Nintendo played an interactive cinematic that put all my fears to rest. The difference in quality between that sequence and this was light years apart, making me wonder why I watched the hawk video in the first place.

The second major tech demonstration featured live footage of Japan, with a camera moving down a crowded street, hovering above vehicles. Like the hawk demo, the tablet was also featuring the footage shown on the television. But as I moved the new controller, I was able to see more of the city around me, without altering what was being shown on the larger screen. I could move the tablet upward to see the sky, or downward to see the street moving under me. Even more impressive, I could start to rotate the controller or "aim" it behind me to see where I had been. Pressing a button would also flip the portable display behind me, allowing me to see backwards similar to a rearview mirror. The potential for racing games with this sort of technology is truly impressive.

Van Owen

Banned
Look at the actual games playable like Ghost Recon to see roughly what the system is capable of, not tech demos...

Remember the rebirth demo for gamecube? lol

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Clevinger said:
Oh, wow. I'm going to take all of these tech demos with a bag of salt if that's what the Gamecube was supposed to be able to do.
This was always sold as a CG video and an example of the GCN's FMV capabilities. The full version even ended with credits for the CG house.
Totally different from this.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Video quality is shit, and I'm guessing that's why the actual demo doesn't look impressive at all.

Durante

TheExodu5 said:
What? The alpha aliasing is visible even in 480p streams. I sincerely hope it's very early.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Albino_Samurai said:
That and Mark Rain's ".... water meet fish...." Tweet had me thinking...

That or a Epic Ocean with UE3 would be rather nice!

There's basically already one of those.

2911111016_b3e0ff21cb_o.jpg

2ynfecm.jpg

j81aqg.jpg

2pto5z8.jpg

24zekc0.jpg

Wasn't impressed at all by the bird demo... thought it was really bad. I want Epic Samaritan level graphics for my next-gen console, or near them.

Clevinger said:
Oh, wow. I'm going to take all of these tech demos with a bag of salt if that's what the Gamecube was supposed to be able to do.

Jesus Carbomb said:
Reminded me of the "Rebirth" Gamecube tech demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPaBCthCDc

Edit: beaten.

The Wii U's Nature demo looks okay, and yeah, it kinda does remind me of the mostly CG/FMV, partly real-time 'Rebirth' demo by Mix Core for GameCube at SpaceWorld 2000.

entire Rebirth demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k75BZJdeYe8

I wonder if Wii U could handle all of that in real-time, now.

big_z

herzogzwei1989 said:
The Wii U's Nature demo looks okay and kinda reminds me of the mostly CG/FMV, partly real-time 'Rebirth' demo by Mix Core for GameCube at SpaceWorld 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k75BZJdeYe8

I wonder if Wii U could handle all of that in real-time, now.

360/ps3 can handle the gamcube nature demo with ease it is not impressive anymore. the wii u nature demo is nothing impressive either, looks current gen.

TheExodu5

Banned
big_z said:
360/ps3 can handle the gamcube nature demo with ease it is not impressive anymore. the wii u nature demo is nothing impressive either, looks current gen.

Yeah, sure. Show me a game with comparable lighting and DOF.

Still, I have my doubts that this is real time.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, sure. Show me a game with comparable lighting and DOF.

Still, I have my doubts that this is real time.

The forest scene looks pretty assy compared to Far Cry 2 or Uncharted.

Truth101 said:
Full video of the Tech Demo

I'm pretty sure someone in the video says it has a movable camera, so this should be running real-time on the system, and not just a scripted animated scene.

Stunning. I actually thought this is CG demo...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Truth101 said:
I'm pretty sure someone in the video says it has a movable camera, so this should be running real-time on the system, and not just a scripted animated scene.
So why don't they move the camera around then is my question?

At least now we see where the hawk comment came from. :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
xxracerxx said:

The 'press B' stuff is there to prove that it's real time, I think.
Heavy said:
Wasn't impressed at all by the bird demo... thought it was really bad. I want Epic Samaritan level graphics for my next-gen console, or near them.
Impossible on a relatively inexpensive, low power draw console out in 2012.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Krev said:
The 'press B' stuff is there to prove that it's real time, I think.
Aww you are right, they do move the camera around those times. I just think that they should move the camera when flying around.

Pocks

xxracerxx said:

I saw at least two instances in which the camera movement was demonstrated.

EDIT: Beaten

=HERO=

Neo Member
xxracerxx said:

They don't do it a lot, but they move it around during the "press b" scene by the koi lake.

Definitely amazing seeing the full version. It's soooooo weird that so little of the graphical power that this system has was shown off, despite clearly having at least some advantage, if not quite an advantage over PS3/360.

Top Bottom