• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solatorobo (DS, DSi Enhanced) announced for North American release by XSeed.

Edit: Press release:

Torrance, Calif., (June 24, 2011) – XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, today announced a partnership with Namco Bandai Games that will bring the highly-acclaimed Action RPG title Solatorobo: Red the Hunter to North America on the Nintendo DS™ handheld system. Developed by celebrated Japanese game studio CyberConnect2, Solatorobo: Red the Hunter (also known as Solatorobo: And Then to CODA) is viewed by many as the spiritual successor to the classic RPG adventure, Tail Concerto, which drew praise in the late 1990s for its anime-style artistic elements and distinctive anthropomorphic animal characters, traits which are shared by Solatorobo. Under the exclusive agreement, XSEED Games will have sole publishing rights to Solatorobo: Red the Hunter in North America when it releases this fall on Nintendo DS.

“We are extremely excited to bring Solatorobo: Red the Hunter to all the fans who have been clamoring for this amazing game since its initial release in Japan,” said Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games. “Solatorobo delivers a fresh new style of game for the popular handheld which consists of an extremely unique and detailed world, resulting in an experience that is both rich in story and of a high visual fidelity rarely seen on the Nintendo DS platform.”

Released in Japan last October, Solatorobo (literally translated “sky and robot”) takes place in the Shepherd Republic, a series of floating islands that are populated by two distinct races of anthropomorphic dog- and cat-people. While very human-like in their nature, both of these races have evolved to use specially-built robot mechs (or Robos) in their everyday lives.

In the game, players follow the story of the dog-like Red Savarin, a young adventurer and hunter who has set off with his Robo companion Dahak on a quest to retrieve a stolen file of the utmost importance, only to be thrown into an altogether deeper adventure along the way. As the story of Solatorobo: Red the Hunter develops further, Red and Dahak will travel throughout the Shepherd Republic, meeting new characters along the way and uncovering the truth behind a mystical artifact he has discovered.

Currently in production, Solatorobo: Red the Hunter will be released this fall in North America by XSEED Games for Nintendo DS. XSEED Games will release more product information in the coming months.

From E3 reader questions:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/06/e3_2011_reader_questions

You mentioned Solatorobo. Is it actually coming our way? (@TwilightV)

Yes, the game is headed to North America and an announcement about it should be coming your way later this month. It's a very unique little game with some truly creative gameplay ideas built into it. It's definitely one to keep an eye on for action-RPG fans.

Also, apparently the site you go to for Nintendo news has some info but is unable to disclose anything besides NoA is not publishing it like NoE is (releases July 1 in EU).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, nice! I live in Australia but use an American DSi, which I thought was going to come back to haunt me, since this game has region locking for DSi.

Disaster averted.

squall23

Drkirby said:
Any word on how the game is? Never heard of it.
It was pretty enjoyable from what I've played. I eventually dropped it because of the badly done French spoken by Japanese voice actors, I know it's trivial and the voice actors can't really help it, but still.

I'm hoping the localization fixes that so I can complete the game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Great news. This localisation will probably be the best one.

Good news. I guess we can't get mad at Nintendo of america for this one then. It would've been nice to get the Club Nintendo points for it though. I wonder who the publisher is going to be? atlus maybe? Maybe an announcement for Comic-Con.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rahxephon91 said:
Is this the game Xseed is publishing? Or did GAF already figure that one out?
Surprised it is not NoA, maybe Atlus or Namco? My money is on Namco, due to the huge advertising campaign for the game in Japan.

Drkirby said:
Since Nintendo is Publishing it in Europe, I assume they are also publishing it in NA.

*Cue Wii RPGs whining*
Bel Marduk said:
Also, apparently the site you go to for Nintendo news has some info but is unable to disclose anything besides NoA is not publishing it like NoE is (releases July 1 in EU).
Don't worry, NoA still blows. :/

Drkirby said:
Darn caught me before I could edit my post after rereading the OP.
Well, when I first read the topic title, I had the faint glimmer of hope that NoA might be changing their ways.

Obviously, their reign of terror/apathy/inexcusable laziness is still going strong.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hell yeah! I've been looking forward to this since the first Tail Concerto-related artwork for a CyberConnect2 DS game surfaced back in 2007.

If it does end up not being released in the end, I'll just import the EU version.

stilgar

Krev said:
Disaster averted.

Oh, the
iron_ironing_board_shirts.jpg

Takao

Banned
They've likely tossed it to D3.

I really hope Scamco brings over Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden for the DS. It's Game Republic's second last game, and reportedly their last good one. :(

Shiggy

Mockingbird said:
What about Professor Layton, Dragon Quest, Samurai Warriors 3, among others?

Those can be seen as high-profile titles, NoE however also publishes less-known games...Solatorobo, Trauma Center, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, some Naruto crap, and so on.

Shiggy

storafötter said:
I wonder if the dsi enhanced features will work on a 3ds. If not ill buy a US copy as I save more bucks that way.

Do you've got a European 3DS? If it has DSi features, it will only work on European DSi and 3DS systems, won't it?

Shiggy said:
Do you've got a European 3DS? If it has DSi features, it will only work on European DSi and 3DS systems, won't it?

Yeah thats how it should be, even if Pokemon White/Black was an exception. If these features aren't noticeable then I don't mind getting a US copy instead.

THIS is the localization news I was hoping for out of e3.

This game has been on my radar since people were ecstatic at its pedigree, and Bebpo convinced me that this may be one of the very rare DS rpgs that are actually stellar without being a remake.

I was looking into my options for importing the UK version but I guess a proper localization will make it much easier.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
meltingparappa said:
I was looking into my options for importing the UK version but I guess a proper localization will make it much easier.
A proper localisation? Pah! A British script will undoubtedly be best.

...and I doubt the localisation will be different in the US.

Thnikkaman said:
A proper localisation? Pah! A British script will undoubtedly be best.
...and I doubt the localisation will be different in the US.
Haw, I mean one that will work on my american system, not the text itself.

Depending on the level of Miyazaki-esque fantasy, I would actually prefer British flares in the script. As an unwashed American who isn't quite sure what a "lorry" is without looking it up, DQ8's localization seemed all the more whimsical for Yangus's uncompromising accent.

I'd imagine most of the time however, the choice between punching up an english script for the UK versus America is a matter of cost and is probably never tweaked, unless a character is named "fanny" or "spaz".

Songbird

Prodigal Son
meltingparappa said:
I'd imagine most of the time however, the choice between punching up an english script for the UK versus America is a matter of cost and is probably never tweaked, unless a character is named "fanny" or "spaz".
Trust me, I got pretty annoyed by the fairy's slang in DQIX. Seemed like it was trying too flippin' hard.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Shiggy said:
Those can be seen as high-profile titles, NoE however also publishes less-known games...Solatorobo, Trauma Center, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, some Naruto crap, and so on.

Pssh, NoE stopped bothering with those games some time ago. Under The Knife 2 and Trauma Team never made it out and never will, the bastards.

I wasn't sure whether the rumor on XSEED's forums that XSEED showed it behind closed doors at E3 could be trusted or not, but considering the source is allegedly the same person at Nintendo Life, it's looking very likely that they will be publishing it in NA after all. If so, I'm very grateful to them; I imported the Japanese version but will be happy to play it in a language I'm comfortable with.

Effect

I fully support the release of Solatorobo if another company is bringing it over. It's not like it's going to do any worse in the end because I doubt even if NoA had worked with CyberConnect2 to bring it over that they would have put a push behind it. They don't even do it for some of their own IPs (Battalion Wars 2, Excitebots, etc).

creid

Mockingbird said:
Good news. I guess we can't get mad at Nintendo of america for this one then.
They didn't develop or publish it (in Japan,) so there's no reason they would've blocked it.

Sagitario

hosannainexcelsis said:
I wasn't sure whether the rumor on XSEED's forums that XSEED showed it behind closed doors at E3 could be trusted or not, but considering the source is allegedly the same person at Nintendo Life, it's looking very likely that they will be publishing it in NA after all. If so, I'm very grateful to them; I imported the Japanese version but will be happy to play it in a language I'm comfortable with.

I wonder if they will use NoE translation.

Either way, I am getting this game.

According to the WAHP thread this was indeed the game they weren't allowed to mention that they were referring to on the podcast.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh search, how you failed me.

So psyched for this. Now I don't have to import. :D

Hopefully we might be getting other games that are on their way to Europe as well. *crosses fingers*

This needs to hurry up and show up on amazon so I can BELIEVE.

Also a release date would be nice.

THANK GOD that this, Devil Summoner 2 and Layton 4 are still coming stateside. Seems like such a non-issue for late-gen DS games since 3DS is fully backwards compatible.

SHAME ON YOU, Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

meltingparappa said:
This needs to hurry up and show up on amazon so I can BELIEVE.

Also a release date would be nice.

THANK GOD that this, Devil Summoner 2 and Layton 4 are still coming stateside. Seems like such a non-issue for late-gen DS games since 3DS is fully backwards compatible.

SHAME ON YOU, Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Devil Survivor 2

This almost makes up for no Retro Game Challenge 2. Almost.

It's weird, post-E3 there's somehow more DS games I'm planning to buy than Wii games. WTF?

Top Bottom