• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh I am raging right now (Deus Ex thread!)

Aselith

So, I bought a copy of Deus Ex in a jewel case quite a few years ago and it just said Deus Ex just that and it cost what a full price older game would cost which was like $10. No indications of anything amiss with the game. It even says Special Limited Edition in the corner.
It's limited to fucking me in the ass as you'll see
Well, I finally started playing through in earnest over the last week since the Deus Ex: HR stuff has gotten me pumped for it and I got up to the Majestic 12 and was getting ready to leave for Hong Kong and what should appear before me?

THIS FUCKING SIN AGAINST GOD AND MAN:

WTF.jpg

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME? 12 FUCKING HOURS I PLAYED THIS SHIT

So, now I'm buying it on Steam.

Anyone been stung by this particular bee in the past? Share your story of woe!

P.S. published by Activision. Yet another dark deed to lay at their door.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
wait what. some jerk gave you a ride.

but yeah, Steam version is legit

Aselith said:
P.S. published by Activision. Yet another dark deed to lay at their door.

They published the one game that is better than Deus Ex, so they deserve 1 forgiveness point in this case.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
A glimpse into the future.

Snuggler said:
They published the one game that is better than Deus Ex, so they deserve 1 forgiveness point in this case.

SHOTS FIRED

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aselith said:
So, I bought a copy of Deus Ex in a jewel case quite a few years ago and it just said Deus Ex just that and it cost what a full price older game would cost which was like $10. No indications of anything amiss with the game. It even says Special Limited Edition in the corner.
Truth in advertising.

I wonder if it was shareware.

ShowDog

This SAME EXACT THING happened to me years ago! Had to be early to mid 2000s. I bought the "game" at Target for $10 brand new. LIMITED Edition is oh so telling.

Edit: Also, just wanted to add that it too came in a shrink-wrapped jewel case.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
subversus said:
SHOTS FIRED

it doesn't count as shots fired if it's objectively true

obviously I'm referring to call of duty [gets murdered]

[the murderers find a note, apparently they reacted too soon, he was joking about CoD. However, it was clear that the game he referred to was the best, but it was too late]

iammeiam

Hahaha. According to a pasted CSR response seen here, the 'Limited' was intended to mean limited gameplay, not limited print run.

Nine years later, places still have copies of that? Harsh.

kaf

There are a few games out there (from around 2000~ and so) that have "limited" or "special" editions. These are essentially short snippets that were supposed to have cost much less than the full thing.

Deus:Ex is one.. Tomb Raider: Last Revelation had one too. I think Eidos mostly did this

Anteater

iammeiam said:
Hahaha. According to a pasted CSR response seen here, the 'Limited' was intended to mean limited gameplay, not limited print run.

I like how the OP in the thread is called Flashbacck, my head wouldn't stop making those flashback transition sound effect when I was reading that thread.

ShowDog

iammeiam said:

I love how the Activision rep will only admit that perhaps they should have labelled the game
"Deus Ex: Special, Limited Edition" instead of "Deus Ex: Special Limited Edition"

Because certainly the comma makes it crystal clear this is only a demo and there wasn't room to write that anywhere on the case, surely.

Aselith

iammeiam said:

At the point I bought this it was probably still 2002. I bought it long, long ago. I just kept getting involved with other stuff and leaving it be and then starting over, etc so I never got to that point in the game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SapientWolf said:
Truth in advertising.

I wonder if it was shareware.
Haha! Reminds me of the story of those chips advertised as Light but it meant the chips were lighter in color and not lower in calories.

edit:
The culprit..
2r7aixg.jpg

Aselith

water_wendi said:
Haha! Reminds me of the story of those chips advertised as Light but it meant the chips were lighter in color and not lower in calories.

edit:
The culprit..
2r7aixg.jpg

Yep that's it.

I'm hoping I can use my save in the Steam version but that seems like a long shot.

Aselith

Snuggler said:
it doesn't count as shots fired if it's objectively true

obviously I'm referring to call of duty [gets murdered]

[the murderers find a note, apparently they reacted too soon, he was joking about CoD. However, it was clear that the game he referred to was the best, but it was too late]

What game?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aselith said:
What game?

Bloodlines. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest Deus Ex fans out there, I've always considered it one of the best ever, but it's not even close.

Sucks you got screwed, though. Hopefully your save will work with a legit version, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Sober

Oh, I remember seeing this on shelves so long ago. I could swear it even said it only had the first 4 (or so?) chapters in the game. So it was kinda an extended demo. That you had to pay for.

Aselith

Snuggler said:
Bloodlines. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest Deus Ex fans out there, I've always considered it one of the best ever, but it's not even close.

Sucks you got screwed, though. Hopefully your save will work with a legit version, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Oh, yeah. I need to play through that too. I've had it on Steam since a sale they did a long time ago and always got distracted before I got into it just like DX. The problem was when these games came out and for a long time after I didn't have a good PC and then by the time I got one they looked so dated. :( Plus I had issues with DX because everything went way too fast during movement with the mouse like hyperspeed which I figured out how to fix recently.

Sober said:
Oh, I remember seeing this on shelves so long ago. I could swear it even said it only had the first 4 (or so?) chapters in the game. So it was kinda an extended demo. That you had to pay for.

Mine doesn't say that. Anywhere on the front, back or in the book. It does say "Limited" right there on the front. If only I had realized what they were trying to tell me all those years ago! :/

All these Limited Editions that EA are putting out for all their games, too. I hope they decide to publish the non-limited editions someday. I'd love to see the rest of some of those games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aselith said:
Oh, yeah. I need to play through that too. I've had it on Steam since a sale they did a long time ago and always got distracted before I got into it just like DX. The problem was when these games came out and for a long time after I didn't have a good PC and then by the time I got one they looked so dated

You can scale that shit up to 1080p, no prob. I can link you to the patches when you're ready for them, but I know what you're saying. Both are required playing, though, so focus on DX first. It's better that way, you'll save the best for last.

FGMPR

Banned
Snuggler said:
wait what. some jerk gave you a ride.

but yeah, Steam version is legit

They also almost buttfucked that great game into an unplayable mess because of their impatience. All the good things about that game are the responsibility of Troika, whilst most of the bad are Activisions.

edit: I'm assuming this is Bloodlines we are talking about lol

edit edit: I should probably stop posting reply's before reading the rest of the thread.

Aselith

Gexecuter said:
What a shame.

lol

Also, FUCK YES! I just got finished downloading the Steam version and it detected my save just fine and I am on to Hong Kong. Steam comes through again!

FGMPR

Banned
So, what was this anyway? A HR-like press preview? Why would they release a rather large chunk of the game and sell it budget like that? They already had a demo.

I guess I'm just a little confused as to who authorized such an edition and why.

Polk

I remember when one of bigger (maybe biggest) Polish pc mag advertised full version of Homeworld on their cover cd.
Sure it was full version of Homeworld, but Homeworld: Raider Retreat (essentially demo containing 4 missions from full game and multiplayer component).
People were pissed.

Corto

Aselith said:
lol

Also, FUCK YES! I just got finished downloading the Steam version and it detected my save just fine and I am on to Hong Kong. Steam comes through again!

Just according to plan...

cdn.ecetia.com.files.2010.11.Gabe-Newell-2.jpg

muahuhahuahua

Top Bottom