• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Jessica Jones AKA Am I Missing Something? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q8D3vil

Its a bad tv show that everyone seems to like because its a "strong female" super hero show.
The pacing is awful and should have been cut in half to be decent.

I got bored with it and skipped to the ending. It would've been cooler if they had some more episodes dedicated to her solving mysteries.

You're not missing anything OP. It's a very dumb show that gets propped up because of it's (ultimately meaningless) association with the greater MCU.

One of the worst seasons of a show I've seen from start to finish. Reminded me of later seasons of dexter which coincidentally shared the same writer as this

And I don't get how people are excited for luke cage now. Dude is good looking and all that but hes like a brick wall (no pun intended) and the chemistry between him and Jessica was so bland.

That's exactly what it reminded me of. Wow. Things make sense now. But I'll be favorable and say it reminds me of Season 7.

Volimar

Its a bad tv show that everyone seems to like because its a "strong female" character show.
The pacing is awful and should have been cut in half to be decent.

I forgive a lot of bad storytelling and other awful shit in comic book movies so I have no trouble doing the same for JJ. Doesn't matter if it's a "strong female" character or not.

I got bored with it and skipped to the ending. It would've been cooler if they had some more episodes dedicated to her solving mysteries.

Agree with this, but those idiots hunting enhanced people were pretty funny.

I'm not going to argue that your points aren't fair (I don't agree with something and agree with others), but

Her immunity to Killgrave doesn't really qualify as a deus ex machina. It's established from I think the very first or second episode that she isn't under his influence anymore (though the viewer is not directly informed of this being the case until halfway into the season), and we see Killgrave at many points either lying about why he isn't controlling her or trying to keep himself from giving her orders, as it would reveal her immunity. I think that her immunity is adequately setup.

As far as the cast goes, I super disagree that Tennant stole the show (though I do agree that he's the highlight of the cast). Ritter I thought did a great job, as did the actors for Malcolm, Trish, and Luke.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd like to be able to say JJ could fixed by shortening the show to 6 episodes, but there is literally nothing there that tells me the people running the show had any idea what they were doing. They had no idea how to handle JJ and her super powers (2x4s!!!111) or make a coherent story. Even the one shot episodes at the beginning were dull as fuck. There are so many problems with the show outside of it's pacing.

I wrote a longer post but gaf mobile ate it :(

This really isn't a matter of taste, the show is objectively bad.

HvySky

Glad to know that I'm not going crazy and others share my thoughts on what went wrong with the show. All of my personal friends, and those at work, think the show's great and on par with Daredevil which was blowing my mind. It's a prime example of a show I really wanted to like, but fought me every step of the way.

As for the comment that Kilgrave's inability to control Jessica wasn't deus ex machine, you are right and I should probably think of a better way to describe it. It is similar though in that it's never actually explained and has no reason to exist other than to allow Jessica to ultimately triumph over Killgrave. I guess she's special or something, but again, when there's no in-universe reason for it unless you want to start theorizing (which you shouldn't have to), then it harms the story more than helps it.

Pacing is definitely a huge issue. A tighter six episode series would be a much better fit for the story they wanted to tell.

Edit:

Why don't they just wear headphones? I'm pretty sure it was set in the present day not 100 years ago.

The crazy thing is that they (Trish) do wear headphones in the season finale. That they waited until countless people had died over the course of the show to try something I'd assumed they would already be aware of is another example of the writer's not being able to capably work around Kilgrave's powers.

PsychBat!

Banned
As for the comment that Kilgrave's inability to control Jessica wasn't deus ex machine, you are right and I should probably think of a better way to describe it. It is similar though in that it's never actually explained and has no reason to exist other than to allow Jessica to ultimately triumph over Killgrave. I guess she's special or something, but again, when there's no in-universe reason for it unless you want to start theorizing (which you shouldn't have to), then it harms the story more than helps it.
I think the word you're looking for is "contrived".

ColdPizza

Banned
Meh, the show had its problems but I still enjoyed it more than Daredevil. You may hate the characters but they're still way more likable to me than Foggy or Karen.

Khezu

It's so bad that it kinda made me a lot less hype for the rest of the Marvel netflix shows.
Especially Luke Cage.

There might still be some hope for Danny though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I liked it on my first watch. Then I sat on it a bit. Then I realized I liked the very beginning. The first few episodes were good but the rest. What a meandering piece of shit. Seriously, no joke it was a terrible show after we got the set up and Killgrave was introduced. Tenant was the only good thing in the show aside from Luke and Jessica's thing at the beginning. However after he comes into the picture the show goes off the rails as in it just stops.

Its literally spinning its wheels for... 6 or 7 episodes before things happen. When those things do happen its so badly done and poorly thought out that it really killed any excitement or interested they could have built. I won't even get into the side characters, the cast, etc. Overall it felt like they had a great premise and squandered it by having no clue what to do with the characters. Then they go and kill off Killgrave when things were getting interesting... then again that whole final battle or fight or whatever was terrible.

Now we get to the problem with the choreography. Its fine if Jessica isn't a trained fighter but she can't throw a punch? She should be knocking peoples heads off and instead most fights consist of her just grabbing people and throwing them lightly. It was the weirdest thing and it happens so often. Even the fight with Luke was still this weird stilted thing which did nothing for selling it.

I don't know what they were thinking with a lot of the show. It was a mess.

Mossybrew

OP I feel your pain. I think I got through I dunno, 6 or 7 episodes before I just admitted to myself that the show was in fact garbage and cut my losses.

Now we get to the problem with the choreography. Its fine if Jessica isn't a trained fighter but she can't throw a punch? She should be knocking peoples heads off and instead most fights consist of her just grabbing people and throwing them lightly. It was the weirdest thing and it happens so often. Even the fight with Luke was still this weird stilted thing which did nothing for selling it.

Ugh, JJ should've been trained in SOMETHING. It doesn't have to be anything flashy. Just boxing would have been fine. Then the fights won't feel like a holding pattern.

Mifec

Bizzaro, is that you? Daredevil Season 2, when you ignore the fact that Dare Devil is who you should like, is legit good.

There is NOTHING legit good about Daredevil S2 past the Elektra introduction or so. Every single interaction she has with Matt brings the show down, the horrible Punisher/Karen plotline with his old war buddy. Resurrected Nobu showing up all menacing, then getting beaten by Matt in 2 seconds flat, then fighting Matt and Elektra at once and holding his own without problem then getting stomped after he kills her.

The writing was below mediocre

JJ S1 is well above DD and DD S1 is better than JJ S1.

Codeblue

I think it would have been ok if it were condensed into half as many episodes. The villain was the only redeeming aspect of that show, to the point where none of the loose ends are going to make me come back for a season 2.

Glad to know that I'm not going crazy and others share my thoughts on what went wrong with the show. All of my personal friends, and those at work, think the show's great and on par with Daredevil which was blowing my mind. It's a prime example of a show I really wanted to like, but fought me every step of the way.

Pacing is definitely a huge issue. A tighter six episode series would be a much better fit for the story they wanted to tell.

Edit:

The crazy thing is that they (Trish) do wear headphones in the season finale. That they waited until countless people had died over the course of the show to try something I'd assumed they would already be aware of is another example of the writer's not being able to capably work around Kilgrave's powers.

Yeah, I'd say that unexplained is a happy medium. The show could have spent more time filling itself with detective work and her trying to figure out what causes it, rather than simply "this is just how it works".

Also yeah, that's a huge plothole. Will, Trish, and Jessica definitely would be wearing them more often. I was going to say that the parents could wear headphones, but the point was to have them interact so I guess that's fine.

Not

Banned
Two episodes were boring. The rest was on point. If Marvel would just make 10-episode seasons this wouldn't be a problem.

BTW, there's a tracked and demonstrable phenomenon that women protagonists are given a disproportionately less fair shake by audiences than men protagonists. That might have something to do with it.

Remember that time when Jessica's neighbors knocked her out when it was a really shitty time for her to get knocked out? Yeah

SoulUnison

Banned
Many others have said it but I'll say it again... JJ would have been an amazing 6-8 episode show with the same storyline. The way the padded out the show to 13 episodes ruined it in my opinion.

This has been my opinion on every MARVEL Netflix show so far.
6-8 episodes of plot stretched over 13 episode seasons.

Korey

OP, you're not wrong. Most people think this show is garbage. The characters and writing are dumb as shit.

See this other thread: LTTP: Marvel's Jessica Jones or when a show is longer than it should be

And my rant after watching one of the last episodes:

I apologize in advance for the language and tone of the following post. I won't read any of the posts before or after this one until I finish the show. Which is hopefully fucking soon jesus christ.

Just have to get this out of my system because I just watched one of the last episodes (I fucking hope), where
Hope got released from jail and Killgrave took her to the restaurant to be exchanged with his dad.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST FUCKING SHOW EVER.

I'm really livid right now at how this show is turning out. It had so much potential.

EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. CHARACTER in this show is fucking dumb. Like they're all fucking idiots. All of them. There's not a single redeemable character that's remotely smart or takes the correct action. Jessica herself is stupid as FUCK. UGGGH.

The only character that had a sliver of promise and had the good judgement to
try and kill Killgrave before he inflicts any more damage on the world -- Simpson -- is now some weird secret agent on drugs psycho who just killed an innocent cop.
Whatttt theee fuck. UGGGHAGaadjkafhk.

ALSO, NOTE TO JESSICA: HE MAGICALLY CAN'T CONTROL YOU ANYMORE. SINCE APPARENTLY EPISODE ONE. Which, again, means all of this was pointless.
And yet SOMEHOW you continue to fail, harder than ever. Why?

HERE'S ANOTHER HINT, DUMBASS: KILL KILLGRAVE. WTF. FUCK YOUR EVIDENCE. How many people have to die before you stop trying to save Hope? By my count, at least 7 so far. How fucking dumb are you? Extremely, apparently.

OH, YOU FINALLY GOT VIDEO EVIDENCE OF HIM AFTER 10 EPISODES? How about you fucking secure that footage. Like TAKE the camera with you and put it somewhere safe? Nah, let's just leave it here unattended. Oh now psycho cop burned everything down. Great payoff for 3 episodes of nothing. Don't get me started on Trish. Or Malcolm.

Or the stupid ass
lawyer. HEY, this mind controlling psycho made my client murder both her parents and raped my friend and murdered a bunch of other people. On the other hand, he can make my ex sign my divorce papers. K I'm gonna take a chance on you. Don't let me down!!!!

Basically, they spend a couple of episodes building up towards something and taking action, and then every action they take is immediately negated or rendered useless when they inevitably fail their goal because every character participating is fucking stupid. Even when they ACTUALLY succeed, they fail.
This is the only show I've seen that's been able to pull off this fucking amazing feat.

How atrocious is the writing in this show. Good god. I'm praying to every deity that the next episode is the last. Please tell me they haven't renewed this show.

HStallion

Two episodes were boring. The rest was on point. If Marvel would just make 10-episode seasons this wouldn't be a problem.

BTW, there's a tracked and demonstrable phenomenon that women protagonists are given a disproportionately less fair shake by audiences than men protagonists. That might have something to do with it.

You know I actually like Jessica and Killgrave but it felt so small scale a lot of the time and honestly it felt like they showrunners didn't know what to do with these characters and it was just a lot of this cat and mouse game between JJ and Killgrave that started to ring hollow very quickly. They just didn't give the cast much to do and really stretched things thing out and the fact a lot of the side characters were terrible on all front didn't help.

They should have had her solving some crimes or something, give her some Scooby doo work, it did wonders for shows like Buffy, just a couple of interesting throw away cases, something other than overexposing Killgrave. I felt he was better partially in the shadows instead of wearing out his welcome and becoming more of a manchild with terrible powers than a really impressive villain. They really mishandled a lot of things.

I was hoping they would have the Kingpin intervene in some manner as I would expect him to shield himself from Killgraves power while also putting it to better use than a fool like Killgrave ever would. I guess we kind of got something similar in DD S2.

SJRB

Gold Member
This show was disappointing in pretty much every single aspect, aside from Kilgrave hamming it up.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I liked it in part because of the weird-ass pacing. Sometimes it's fun to watch something a little out of step with convention. I didn't feel as if it completely missed the target when it comes to story telling, it was still firmly in the orbit of conventional linear TV. It's less out there than something like Twin Peaks.

Using superheroes to tell an allegory of an abusive relationship where the protagonist feels trapped and powerless, only to break free and still be stalked with police and other literal superheroes being unable to help at all might be a little heavy handed, but I think it works and is compelling. We don't often see a story from the perspective of a woman being stalked. All the stuff about people being "incompetent" and the bad guy "slipping through the cracks at the last moment" seems really cheesy, but in a lot of ways, I imagine that's what it feels like for real life people dealing with abusive partners/parents.

The show works better if you look at its larger themes and don't poke its plot for being imperfect. Nothing was stopping Prof. X from finding Kilgrave with Cerebro and sending out Jean Grey to melt him. I can buy that the people in Jessica's immediate orbit are not at the top of their class.

The other thing I really liked was Kilgrave's character. Imagine someone who's gotten everything from everyone ever since they were a child. How could they not be an insane villain? A pretty simple premise followed to its logical conclusion. He is a perfect analog to the private-school dude-bro date-rapist.

It's a funky show that is different and doesn't really care that it's different. We're in a golden-age of TV. You look at the networks and see all the CSI and Law and Order shows and you can see they're just trapped in a mediocre quagmire. The best stuff is happening on Showtime/HBO/AMC and has been for the last decade and still going on. But what really excites me is Netflix. They're really unconventional in their programming, for better and for worse. Even something like HBO, there is a sense that despite the creative freedom they're pushing for, there are people at the top making sure their product is palatable. Netflix feels like they're dropping off sacks of money at the door and are walking away. This period of hectic freedom will end sooner than later, and I'm fully happy to embrace these more unconventional, oddball shows.

antispin

[snip]
The show starts off well enough with a solid premiere episode that sets the stage and lays the foundation for what's to come, but then almost immediately shits the bed and isn't able to recover before the season finale.
[snip]

I think pretty much everyone agrees with this para. It did start well, but OMG so dumb, then dumber, and then the dumbest fucking end.

Jessica Jones sometimes teetered on being corny to me. And a couple scenes are cringeworthy. But I thought it has higher peaks than Daredevil.

Valonquar

The only heroine I can think of that was a worse than Jessica Jones would be Carrie Mathison inHomeland. Both of them manage to save the day while being completely batshit insane and horrible at everything.

Omzz

I just remember laughing how Jessica got knocked out for like a whole day from the lady in her apartment building

spekkeh

Banned
OP said:
Most specifically on why everyone kept telling me how good this show was and that apparently it was better than the first season of Daredevil (I have yet to start season two).
Dunno who told you this. Most of GAF didn't seem to think so. This series was an excellent three or four episodes and then progressively shit itself.

- J - D -

The pilot was really good. Then it was all downhill from there. Like the most plodding snowball rolled down an incline.

However, I like that the sentence "You let me be inside you" was uttered by a character in the MCU, in all of its uncomfortable glory.

Azih

Jessica is incredibly strong. But she's not trained and doesn't have much endurance or durability. So the fight scenes made sense.

Series really should have been eight episodes long or had some fun filler thrown in. The central premise just wasn't enough for 13 episodes. I checked out when the support group sprung Kilgrave.

Best villain though.

GhaleonEB

Jessica is incredibly strong. But she's not trained and doesn't have much endurance or durability. So the fight scenes made sense.

Series really should have been eight episodes long or had some fun filler thrown in. The central premise just wasn't enough for 13 episodes. I checked out when the support group sprung Kilgrave.

Best villain though.

Yeah, it seems like the general consensus is the season was too long to support the story they had to tell. I thought the quality dropped off a cliff around the time Jessica goes to her old house with Kilgrave, and bottoms when the support group springs Kilgrave and clubs her with a 2x4. There was somewhat of a recovery after, but not a lot.

As you said, they could have had a solid series with 8 episodes or so and dropped the use of stupidity as plot device needed to stretch things out.

SJRB

Gold Member

Best villain though.

When Kilgrave escapes the sound-proof room, Jessica conveniently gets pinned down by an injured 65-year-old man so Kilgrave can escape.

Her powers make no sense and seem only as strong (or weak) as the script requires. As a viewer it is impossible to know how strong she is or what her capabilities even are because they fluctuate so heavily. For this reason the viewer never knows how high stakes actually are.

MrBadger

Funny really, I really enjoyed it on my first watch, but the more I thought about how dumb it was, the less I liked it.

Kilgrave is still the best MCU villain, though. He made the show tolerable.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
it was slightly too long and the people that told you it was better than daredevil need to lay off the crack.

not a bad show though, killgrave was boss.

HStallion

Best villain though.

See I get that she's not some bad ass fighter who can take out an army by herself. However everything about the fight scenes including the filming and everything else was pretty limp. Watch JJ throw guys into the walls in a random hallway. Now watch her throw guys around a hospital. Now watch her get tased and throw guys around. Now watch her throw guys around in a warehouse. Nothing was done with any flair or tension, it was very rote stuff that never really felt like it didn't sell any of the fights. This isn't even counting how her powers just seem to come and go when the story required and that was sloppy in its own right.

Grinchy

Banned
It's a CW-tier show that was put on a pedestal for all the wrong reasons. I started watching it before it was hyped up and still couldn't stand it after 3 or 4 episodes. I can't even imagine how disappointing it is to people who have been told it's great before they watch it.

Playsage

Yup, OP, it is a dumb show.
First 3 episodes felt good but after the police station scene everything went to shit.
The overall appeal comes from it being a Marvel property and production (an underdog one as a plus).

Also, don't get too much hyped for Daredevil S2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom