• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount sends copyright notice to Shapeways user over 3D printable Super 8 cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/27/paramount-sends-copy.html

Tblatt sez, "Paramount Pictures's lawyers send a cease and desist email to a designer for a CAD design listed on Shapeways. It was a box that was a replica of the cube from their movie Super 8. The letter claimed copyright infringement and demanded that the file be taken down from the site. I don't want to fight in court so I've taken down the file from Shapeways to comply with their demands, but it's certainly an interesting topic."

seems like something we would argue about..

i'm not sure what i think. it an extremely accurate reproduction of the cube and I could see how that would maybe hurt Paramount on merchandising or something.. but it just doesn't sit right with me.

5670.SUPER-8-CUBE.jpg_2D00_300x300.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Next up: George Lucas sues nerds for dressing up in Star Wars outfits.

I don't see any law against making your own replica prop, or CAD design on one. He's not trying to sell it or anything right?

ultron87

It's in their right to have something made from their design not be sold for profit.

If he had just made a replica for himself it wouldn't be a problem.

Cyan

Banned
blame space said:
i'm not sure what i think. it an extremely accurate reproduction of the cube and I could see how that would maybe hurt Paramount on merchandising or something.. but it just doesn't sit right with me.
On the other hand, so what? Copyright infringement? Utterly ludicrous.

ultron87 said:
It's in their right to have something made from their design not be sold for profit.
But he was making one for himself. I guess Shapeways would have profited by making it for the guy though. Who knows.

aesop

Neuromancer said:
I don't see any law against making your own replica prop, or CAD design on one. He's not trying to sell it or anything right?

Looks like shapeways sells CAD designs for 3D printers.

Edit: Err, no that's wrong. You can upload your CAD files and they will 3D print it for you and ship it to you for a price.

ultron87

Neuromancer said:
But he was making one for himself. I guess Shapeways would have profited by making it for the guy though. Who knows.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think Shapeways sells prints of uploaded designs to anyone who wants one.

Edit: Or maybe not? Hell, I dunno.

Well sounds like it was against Shapeway's TOS anyway

Can I be assured that any project I run through your company will be treated as confidential?

Sure! You as a designer retain all your intellectual property rights in your 3D design. By uploading your 3D design, you warrant that it is your original creation and not copied from any third party and/or entity. You warrant that your User Generated Content will not infringe the intellectual property rights of third parties. Should your User Generated Content nevertheless be found to be infringing and/or in violation of any law, you will defend Shapeways against third party claims, and be held liable for all (direct and indirect) damages and costs incurred by Shapeways with respect to such claims For more information, please read: http://www.shapeways.com/terms_and_conditions
http://www.shapeways.com/support/faq

ultron87

You can definitely sell prints of designs you make on the site: http://www.shapeways.com/gallery

So, I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to sell a design based entirely on someone else's work.

I mean it wouldn't feel right to sell a printed model of an X-wing on there, would it? There's no reason this shouldn't extend to the specific design of that cube.

If he uploaded this and didn't put it on the market (I have no idea if you can do that) and just wanted a copy for himself then this seems like an overreaction on Paramount's part.

Edit: http://www.shapeways.com/model/47137/green_lantern_ring.html?gid=mg I mean this seems wrong, doesn't it? I'M SO CONFLICTED BY THIS STORY!

Cyan

Banned
ultron87 said:
Is it? IANAL, but on the face of it this is absurd. I mean... it's 3d printer instructions for a geometric object.

Rapstah

How automated is the process these guys use? I'm thinking about sending in 3D files for some impossible object like a floating ball or infinite stairs.

Evlar

Banned
Rapstah said:
How automated is the process these guys use? I'm thinking about sending in 3D files for some impossible object like a floating ball or infinite stairs.
You have to be able to create a CAD model of the object, and you won't be able to do that for infinite stairs.

aesop said:
There are also cars and people. Trees too! Time to put your head back in the sand.

But Paramount isn't claiming copyright infringment on any of those. This Cube is obviously important enough for them to send out a notice.

Can someone, without spoiling a thing, explain why this cube is important?

the cube is important in the movie and as a plot device.. it's..

well now i don't know what would be a spoiler or not.

EDIT: fuck i'm sorry.. ONLY READ IF YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE:
did the trailers show
the monster? does pretty much everyone know there's an alien in this movie
?

Leunam

Evlar said:
You have to be able to create a CAD model of the object, and you won't be able to do that for infinite stairs.

The best you could do is make a model where the optical illusion will only work from a certain perspective.

ultron87

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Did someone just spoil Super 8 for me?

Fuck.

The movie is still pretty recent.

Not really. Even the thing in the spoiler tag isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Fuck.

I almost feel like it is my fault for not seeing this opening weekend. I think I'm going to see it this weekend before entire movie is spoiled for me.

LakeEarth

Fuck.

Yup, they spoiled the fact that there's a cube. When you finally watch the movie and you see the big cube reveal, you'll be like, dang, that would've been awesome if I didn't know it was going to happen.

jediyoshi said:

okay then i'll just leave it at "pretty significant"

and i'm really sorry if i spoiled anything for anyone in this thread. i think the whole spoiler culture is getting kind of ridiculous, but i really am sorry if anyone read anything they didn't want to read.

Evlar

Banned
I heard about the cube from a mainstream review. :shrug After seeing the film I wouldn't rate it as a major spoiler.

ultron87

Actual Super 8 spoiler:
It's a shame that the cube isn't a spoiler because the fact that the kid grabs it should've actually affected the plot in some way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doesn't coke have the shape of their bottle copyrighted, or trademarked?likewise with marmite I think. Basically if you have a well known recognisable design you can protect it, so a physical shape, or a graphic design.

aesop

ultron87 said:
Actual Super 8 spoiler:

Actual spoilers!
Like if the monster is standing on top of the tower screaming "OMG I'm missing one!" and the ship refuses to launch because the kid has the last one? That would have been awesome.

ultron87 said:
Actual Super 8 spoiler:
It's a shame that the cube isn't a spoiler because the fact that the kid grabs it should've actually affected the plot in some way.

When the cube launched toward the water tower, I expected it to punch through, pointing the government in the direction of the kid's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom