• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune Announces His New Game: The Island Of Dr. Momo

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You play as a horrendous mad scientist on a quest for evil.

AndriaSang said:
Half a year after leaving Capcom, Keji Inafune has announced his first game, The Island of Dr. Momo. As reported at 4Gamer, the game was announced at a joint press conference that was held by GREE, Index (parent company of Atlus) and Inafune's new Comcept company.

The parties might have clued you in, but The Island of Dr. Momo is a social game for the popular GREE mobile social gaming service. You play as mad scientist Dr. Momo, who loves cute things. Dr. Momo combines animals together In an effort to make the world's cutest thing.

The Island of Dr. Momo will be available for play on iOS and Android sets this Fall. Like all GREE games, it will be item-based, meaning initial play is free.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/22/inafune_first_game/

FreeMufasa

GDHWx.jpg

Not really interested though.

george_us

rockman zx said:
The guy just left Capcom not long ago, I hope people is not expecting him to do a AAA in 3 months.
Would you even want to work on a AAA game after Capcom? 2 or more years of a stressful work environment plus likely crunch during that time for a game that probably won't make its money back? Hmmmmmm.

rockman zx said:
The guy just left Capcom not long ago, I hope people is not expecting him to do a AAA in 3 months.
Well, this game would be a clever idea if it was solely a money-making tool. A steady income from a successful online game would reduce the risk of his company's failure with bigger titles.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Blame the emergence of so-called "AAA Games" for this.

Exploding budgets for the games themselves, exploding expectations and astronomical entitlement from gamers and the need to sell a zillion copies to stay relevant. For every copy of Call of Duty you buy, every copy of Uncharted you buy, every copy of Assassin's Creed you buy, you are helping push the spread of mobile and social gaming.

How the mighty have fallen.

Actually, this sounds like a good strategy for a seasoned developer just starting out on their own. Game also sounds interesting and I would probably buy it.

Dubble

Everybody's gotta get a new start somewhere. He - unfortunately - has to start at the bottom and work his way back up.

And you know what? I ain't mad at him one bit for it. I hope it does well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just found this funny:

TGS 2009
""Personally when I looked around all the different games at the TGS floor, I said 'Man, Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished.'"

TGS 2010
“I looked around Tokyo Games Show ” and notices that “everyone’s making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind.”

TGS 2011
Dr. Momo's Island

Hopefully it's cute, fun, and accessible enough to penetrate the mobile market and his company can get a bit of cash on this - best of luck to Inafune.

Myriadis

PepsimanVsJoe said:
B or even a C would have been nice.

This is just bottom of the barrel.

Nah,it's not really F,maybe somewhere around EE,if not EEE.I think,given that it is Inafune,it could be even a D game,if we're lucky a DD.
First time I read something like this.C-Game!

Seriously,let's see how it turns out.If his company gets some cash from it it wouldn't be bad-it's at least a good starting point to release a game that's not expensive,but can be successful.

Huff

Banned
I love my iOS games, but its tough to hear a man with his pedigree doing one. Especially one that doesn't sound all that interesting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dr. Momo has a pair of scissors in her hair.

So she's running with scissors?

I was going to make a "The Island of Dr. Light and killing Megaman" reference, but that's in poor taste, I wager.

Lopson

Neo Member
Best of luck to the man. We all know how hard it is to get back to the top in Japan once a person leaves a big company.

Top Bottom