• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune Announces His New Game: The Island Of Dr. Momo

angelfly

Can't say this is the type of game I was expecting. Hopefully this isn't the only game he's working on as he already said there's a possibility of something being shown at TGS. I doubt it would be this but it very well could be. As I love Inafune I'll definitely grab the iOS version when it's released.

rockman zx said:
The guy just left Capcom not long ago, I hope people is not expecting him to do a AAA in 3 months.
I don't expect him to do another AAA title any time soon, if ever.

The huge budgets that comes with AAA development also comes with creativity stifling oversight that Inafune railed against. Having a tiny budget will similarly limit how far developers can go in implementing their creative vision, but in theory, he could grow the game if it takes off.

Dreamer RD

smy2df.jpg

I appreciate that some people think this guy was like Rockman incarnate, but this is about what I expected from him, especially starting out with his new company
Comcept, wth

Also that artwork looks like if Pop'n Music ate some pastels and threw up.

Pyrrhus

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dr. Momo has a pair of scissors in her hair.

Presumably these are what she uses to vivisect animals before stitching the best parts back together to make the world's cutest abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

wwm0nkey

Some of you guys where expecting AAA stuff as his first game at a new studio?

Give the man time and give the company a chance to grow a bit.

Kayo-kun

I feel like there's so much wasted talent, especially when seeing how devs like Inafune work on mobile phone games. I guess the game has changed and making proper HD games doesn't pay off if it isn't a huge blockbuster title.

Kayo-kun said:
I feel like there's so much wasted talent, especially when seeing how devs like Inafune work on mobile phone games. I guess the game has changed and making proper HD games doesn't pay off if it isn't a huge blockbuster title.
I don't see how making a small game is a waste of talent.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Kayo-kun said:
It's painful to watch, like watching an A-list actor end up on VH-1

Princess Skittles said:
Blame the emergence of so-called "AAA Games" for this.

Exploding budgets for the games themselves, exploding expectations and astronomical entitlement from gamers and the need to sell a zillion copies to stay relevant. For every copy of Call of Duty you buy, every copy of Uncharted you buy, every copy of Assassin's Creed you buy, you are helping push the spread of mobile and social gaming.

I can't believe that this grade is an industry standard. AAA is so uneven. Why not A or AA? Hell, in Japanese games, when you complete a level, the highest grade you get at the end is an S, which is higher than an A.

Why doesn't our side of the industry change "AAA" to "S"?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I want it. The idea sounds interesting.

Lighten up people. Not everything needs to be some console action game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GhaleonQ said:
And, for me, Kenichi Nishi. COME ON, GENIUSES. Step up.
GREE is actually a 9-5 company with no crunch and tremendous growth, so I suspect we'll see a lot more people moving to work with them, especially among older developers.

He's doing the smart thing. Take it slow, test the waters and start small.

I'm sure more ambitious projects will follow in time.

wwm0nkey said:
Some of you guys where expecting AAA stuff as his first game at a new studio?

Give the man time and give the company a chance to grow a bit.

I agree with you; some people are expecting too much of him. Sure, Inafune is a venerated developer, but then again, even the most respected game maker has to start from the bottom and work his way up.

On the other hand, When Kamiya joined with PG, he made a very successful Bayonetta as one of the then newly established company's launch titles... (just throwing that out there).

mollipen

A game whose main goal is an attempt to create the cutest thing in existence. I guess I'll have to sue Inafune for blatantly making a game based around my everyday life.

[Nintex]

Kayo-kun said:
Devs and publishers aren't lining up to work with or for Inafune. Remember he made Lost Planet 2 with Takeuchi and then threw the team under the bus when the game bombed and sucked. Not to mention he talked at TGS, telling everyone how Japan sucked at making games without showing anything himself.

After that he started to rant about Capcom management in every interview how they weren't thinking globally and all that and how difficult his job was and whatnot. I guess the Monster Hunter guys bringing in the money and troll Ono got sick of him after a while.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
..And just like that, there goes my respect for Inafune.

Seriously, he threw Mega Man Legends 3 in the dumpster for this?

Coxy

I hear momo and I think of momo from breath of fire and then I look and the character looks a lot like her too, hmm :/

An uncaged bird now, this is the result of his newly freed spirit. His words, not mine.

In all seriousness though, if its good, I'll go for it. Funny that he is going with this though, as I doubt he would have trouble getting funding. If Suda keeps getting it some how, I seriously doubt he couldn't with the titles on his resume. Not saying he couldn't do a cellphone game, but to only be doing that is just a bit odd to me.

How could he not get funding?

Ok, now I know that I'll buy this game day one no matter the cost! The concept is already getting me hooked and excited...

shidoshi said:
A game whose main goal is an attempt to create the cutest thing in existence. I guess I'll have to sue Inafune for blatantly making a game based around my everyday life.

What is this "cutest thing" you are making Shidoshi? I'll show you a cute thing that I made if you show me a cute thing that you made. Hmmm, if only we had a game based on this exchange.

Tellaerin

Princess Skittles said:
Blame the emergence of so-called "AAA Games" for this.

Exploding budgets for the games themselves, exploding expectations and astronomical entitlement from gamers and the need to sell a zillion copies to stay relevant. For every copy of Call of Duty you buy, every copy of Uncharted you buy, every copy of Assassin's Creed you buy, you are helping push the spread of mobile and social gaming.

And if people stopped buying those games tomorrow, then companies would assume that the so-called triple-A games are no longer worth producing at all, and pump all their development efforts into casual and mobile stuff, so what's your point?

Im waiting for Tomonobu Itagaki to make his iOS debut with, Shake and Wobble Gaiden Xtreme Edition Black. The iphone game with realistic boob jiggle.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Finally! Not the first character that comes to mind, but glad Breath of Fire is making some appearance.

Welcome back, Professor Momo!

bof3-momo.jpg

Momo is a female scholar who is researching Ghost chrysm ore and machines around the world. Her father was an inventor and famous engineer. From Breath of Fire 3.

How can you not like her? She wields a bazooka telescope.

Codeblue

Gotta start somewhere. You cant just pluck amazing games out of thin air with no budget. Hopefully it does well for him. I'll support it if I can.

yurinka

rockman zx said:
The guy just left Capcom not long ago, I hope people is not expecting him to do a AAA in 3 months.
He can make more money with this than with an AAA game if he has a small team and limited budget.
Zenith said:
A mobile phone social game. What a huge step down.
It's the gaming market with the biggest grow, clearly the future, Right now is already starting to be the present in Japan.

People like EA, Disney, Yu Suzuki, Sid Meier, Trip Hawkins, Keita Takahashi or Inafune are betting on this stuff, and some of them are already making a lot of money.

It isn't something related to a stupid decision or a budget stuff. It makes a lot of sense.

John Riccitiello said recently that consoles dropped from being the 80% of the gaming business in 2000 to 40% today. A huge portion of this missing part is now in social games and mobile phone gaming.

Top Bottom