• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Video Game Music - a proper list thread w/ commentary

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
List threads are not entirely frowned upon by the powers that be, but they gradually generate comments about them being rather lazy. I've seen stumpakow try to address this issue previously but no doubt it is hard to force people into a box when it contains subject matter that has a life of its own. This is where this alternative thread comes in.

I had raised the issue in another thread and gunbo13 pushed the agenda a bit more. So now that we might have a "proper" list thread (no publication gets away with a list article without adding descriptions for those choices), I'll lay the foundations for some very loose rules that even I may break.

The Rules:
1. Try to keep it simple with a top 5 selection.
2. Try to restrict yourself to 1 game per series. For some juggernaut franchises it may be a tall ask, but narrow that list down.
3. This goes equally with composers. Try to keep it at 5 different composers for your top 5.
4. Links to samples/full tracks are great to listen to when reading your post, but if you can't find them or they aren't there then don't fret and simply tell us in your eloquent words why you chose it.
5. Having trouble writing about the song itself? Break it down: Why do you love the song? How does it make you feel? Which sections are your favourite? What thoughts penetrate your mind when you listen to it? You don't need to be majoring in music theory to get your point across.
6. Have fun! We're on a messageboard after all.

My choices which are unashamedly filled to the brim with RPG selections in no particular order.

- Final Fantasy X - Tidus' Theme. Compsed by Nobuo Uematsu.

Easily up there as one of my favourites, and not because of the character itself or when it is heard during the game. I throw this on everytime I go through my Final Fantasy music phase simply because of how enjoyable and free-flowing it is. When it hits the 1m30s mark, I hit a natural high of contentness. I recall listening to the Piano Collections album for the first time and hearing the last minute of this song, knowing that this might be the best album in that series. Would love to hear this played on solo cello.

- Tactics Ogre - Fortune Teller 2. Composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Magical is probably the only word I could legimately use for this. It gives me goosebumps every single time I put it on, and the Ogre ~ Grand Repeat version linked above is my absolute favourite. It doesn't even play during an important part of the game such as a character introduction or plot section, and yet it has held sway over me for such a long time. The delicate balance of the flutes and violins during their entire dance duet make me feel as if I am floating on clouds. I personally don't think any RPG introduction could ever top Tactics Ogre simply because of this song.

- Chrono Trigger - Secret of the Forest. Composed by Yasunori Mitsuda.

My favourite part of Chrono Trigger is finally getting out of the festival at the beginning and heading into the forest that naturally acts as a border for Guardia Castle. Hearing this pump out of the speakers is absolutely hypnotizing, and the piano version above is nothing short of bliss. The entire latter half from 1m50s-onwards is genius work by Mitsuda. Whenever I am in the mood for piano, even if I am wanting to listen to Chopin, an mp3 rip of that video HAS to be played. It takes pure majesty to be placed alongside some of the old classics and even harder to believe that this is from a video game, let alone Mitsuda's first professional foray into composition.

- Dragon Quest V - Magic Carpet ~ The Ocean. Composed by Koichi Sugiyama.

Sugiyama seems to not get much love on GAF for some reason outside of the dedicated few DQ troops, but that doesn't change the fact that he is my favourite composer working in the industry. Even though the selection may be deemed as cheating (it is two songs in one) but I could not change the entire piece in any way. For the first half you have the cheery attitude that is everywhere in Dragon Quest that Sugiyama does so well and then it kicks into high gear at the 2m0s mark which forces me to tap my foot along and follow the tune with whistles. Things start to get much more sweeping at the 3m40s mark when it morphs into the sailing theme from DQ5. This is probably the best sailing theme he has ever done and I've caught myself more than twice sitting there idling in the ocean in-game wanting to hear the whole song without interruption. And then 5m20s hits. Typical Sugiyama in his grandoise state and I almost shed a tear everytime I hear it, harking back memories of the game itself.

- Diablo II - Tristram. Composed by Matt Uelmen.

Haunting, sorrow, pain, even enlightenment. All worthy descriptions for this song. The effect this piece of music has is so strong that I could easily play this song anywhere in public and complete strangers would listen to it and go "wow." It really is one of a kind and I doubt many town themes could ever beat it because of the feelings it conveys to individuals. The song makes me want to leave this space blank simply because the entire length needs to be listened by itself in many scenarios to fully embrace what its proper meaning is. I haven't found that message yet but that hasn't stopped me from continuing my search for Tristram's real face. A true artistic piece in every sense of the word.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Electivirus said:
Can we include arranged albums as well?
I'd like to know this as well. Some of my favourite versions of certain themes are arranged versions. For example, some themes from the Persona Music Live Band soundtrack, or from The Black Mages Album, or from the FF Piano Collections could be better than the original version in terms of instrumentation or overall presentation and mood.

Or in some instances, there are multiple versions of the same theme in different games. For example, I could probably pick something from the PCE version of a Ys game, but it may have been rearranged in a later remake.

Edit: already answered, lol.

speedpop

I mean, outside of possibly 2 of my choices, the other 3 are all on arranged albums; two on piano, the other is an orchestra album. Sometimes the originals just don't do the song justice - it's why every Dragon Quest album I have are all Symphonic Suites.

The motivation for the thread itself is having someone choose a selection of their favourites and telling readers why they chose it. It might reveal a bit more behind the username/avatar other than blindly checking a music link listed at random.

gblues

Banned
speedpop said:
I mean, outside of possibly 2 of my choices, the other 3 are all on arranged albums; two on piano, the other is an orchestra album. Sometimes the originals just don't do the song justice - it's why every Dragon Quest album I have are all Symphonic Suites.

The motivation for the thread itself is having someone choose a selection of their favourites and telling readers why they chose it. It might reveal a bit more behind the username/avatar other than blindly checking a music link listed at random.

The Dragon Quest symphonic suites are god tier. I love listening to the symphonic version side-by-side with the original game version (particularly the NES era) because when you do, you are amazed at how much of the symphony actually made it into the game despite severe hardware limitations.

Another really good example of this is comparing the "Music A" from the NES Tetris release to an actual performance of "The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies." It's shockingly accurate.

GhaleonQ

Well, I was going to wrap up my education reform job search tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be trying to pick my favorite Yoko Shimomura piece instead.

You are the WORST. *takes a few hours to think about it, sort through gargantuan gamerip/soundtrack collection*

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like this.

In no particular order:

VVVVVV - "Pressure Cooker" composed by Souleye

Electronic music that will be playing in your head long after you finish the game. Sometimes you want it to stop, but it won't. Listen at your own risk.

PixelJunk Eden - "Wheel Window" composed by Baiyon

This is a case where the music transcended the game, Baiyon's infectious techno beats had a stronger impression on me than the game itself. That being said, it is best experienced along side the trippy, colorful visuals of the game.

Mass Effect - "Vigil" composed by Jack Wall

A synth heavy theme that sets the tone for Mass Effect's space traveling adventures. It's features the one thing missing from the sequel's OST: a sense of wonder.

The Witcher 2 - "Untitled Track #3" composed by Adam Skorupa & Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz

I don't even know the proper name of this track, it was part of some pre-order bonus crap, but I can't get enough of it. It doesn't break any new ground, but it's a grandiose and exciting medieval-fantasy flavored theme.

Skies of Arcadia - "Kingdom of Ixa'taka" composed by Yutaka Minobe & Tatsuyuki Maeda

My love for this track is based on nostalgia more than anything else, but it's jovial tone is a perfect fit for exploring undiscovered land in a JRPG.

* if the tracks listed didn't make it clear, I'm fond of catchy electronic music and bombastic themes

In no particular order:

1. -HISTORIA- (Radiant Historia) - Yoko Shimomura - From that addictive violin melody to that sexy Spanish guitar to Haruka Shimotsuki's amazing voice, this is a piece that never fails to put me in a mellow mood. Easily my favorite of Shimomura's vocal pieces.

2. Heartening "Dance of the Cornered Rat" (Sigma Harmonics) - Masashi Hamauzu - Hamauzu's always been a master of melody, and this song shows it off in the best way possible. Hijiri Kuwano's fantastic violin work, synthesizer operator Mitsuto Suzuki's electronica expertise, and Hamauzu's very own mastery of the piano, it's very reminiscent of his battle themes from Unlimited SaGa. This is a trio that I'd loooove to see together more often.

3. Fog of Phantom (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) - Masaharu Iwata - What an incredibly eerie song. Starting off with a creepy descending choir, it then adds in an amazingly atmospheric church organ that plays the melody along with the choir. The song itself also shows off just how well the music was handled with transition from the SNES to the PSP. It blows the original out of the water, hands down. (I toyed around with including the arranged version from the Grand Repeat album instead, but between that and the PSP verion, I feel that it's the weaker of the two).

4. Legendary Pokémon Battle! (Pokémon Black and White) - Go Ichinose - That heavy synth percussion and constant tempo changes near the middle of the song never grow old. It's really the perfect song to get my blood pumping for a battle that I'll undoubtedly waste dozens of Pokeballs on. >:V

5. The Village Without Memories (Opoona) - Noriyuki Kamikura - I've never played Opoona before in order to get the context behind this song, and honestly, I don't need to. It's absolutely stunning on it's own. An amazing mixture of electronica, acoustic, and string work, it's a thing of beauty. The mournful violin duet in particular keeps me hitting that repeat button on my iPod every time. This also serves to remind me that the Basiscape team is at their best when they're catering to their own individual strengths, rather than just trying to ape Sakimoto's style.

speedpop

akachan ningen said:
why do we need commentary? I don't talk about music and I certainly don't pick it apart. I just listen.
I suppose in a way it's self-therapy to allow yourself to understand why you enjoy it. Music is complex and filled with freedom so it's a nice challenge to try and put those emotions and thoughts into words, especially since music is such an important facet to gaming.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Electivirus and Speedpop, I'm enjoying both of your tracks very much. We should have more threads like this.

speedpop

Those Radiant Historia and Opoona tracks are awesome.

*takes notes*

Snuggler said:
Electivirus and Speedpop, I'm enjoying both of your tracks very much. We should have more threads like this.
It's definitely more enjoyable, in my opinion. Your selections made me recall booting up VVVVVV, PixelJunk Eden and Mass Effect for their respective first times.

Coxy

Grandia 2 Fight!! Ver 1
Noriyuki Iwadare is pretty much my favourite composer and I'd consider him the king of RPG soundtracks. I was going to pick Theme of Grandia as it's an immense epic track that's really masterfully crafted but in the end Fight!! Ver 1 is the one RPG battle track I just never got sick of, even after thousands of battles I still get excited every time I hear it.

Ar Tonelico REBIRTHIA PROTOCOL
Ok so I could probably fill a whole top 100 list just with tracks from Gust and Ar Tonelico in particular but I'll just go with this one beautiful track, a song sung in a language of song made uniquely for the game. It's a wonderful song in and of itself, the way it's used in the game is especially meaningful and it typifies the kind of labour of love the series was for the creator.

Tindharia no Tane: Inochi to Yakusoku
Ok so I'm cheating here, Tindharia isnt actually a game, but both Noriyuki Iwadare, my favourite composer and Haruka Shimotsuki, one of my favourite vocalists worked together on it. So I can include it right? It's a magestic track that starts off nice and cute but builds up to a powerful finish, which is pretty much how I like my RPGs too!

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Lucia's Theme
One of the very few times I really loved the english version of a song more than the japanese version, her voice just fits the character's personality so well that the song worked a lot better for me, especially with where its played in the game.

Super Robot Wars: Ash To Ash
Growing up as Sega fan I had the likes of Alis, Nei and Alys from Phantasy Star and my first RPG I loved was Shining Force 2, in which I completely forgot about the princess and though the main female character was Sarah, who I made into a kickass master monk. Anyway growing up with those one of the things I really like in games is a really kickass woman and super robot wars is full of them, Excellen and Viletta being just a couple I really like, but my favourite has to be Lamia and this awesome theme just compliments her crowning moments of badassery

LaneDS

Wow, really enjoying all the piano renditions done by the person responsible for the Secret of the Forest video from the OP... great stuff.

Even though these threads (with or without discussion) are frequent, I always appreciate when they show up.

Luthos

Demon's Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-rNVnrFQDg
- This has to be here. The moment I stepped into that cave, and had that epic showdown with Garl Vinland, it joined the top ranks. And as such, it's also one of my favorite boss themes. I almost didn't want to finish the fight because I was too busy thinking "this is such an awesome moment."

Lost Odyssey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3dh_R2eu8
- The Dream Stories, man. Those and the music are the best things about that game. And this song always seems to hit right when they get to the sad parts.

Lost Odyssey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xtkry1wK8
- I have to choose Lost Odyssey twice. This is one of my favorite video game songs ever. Like the other, but this one always seemed to hit during the more uplifting parts. Both made my eyes well up.

Metal Gear Solid 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Pu92St5O0
- "Snake... had a hard life" ;_;

Final Fantasy X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8
- Limiting FF songs is rough, but this is still one of the best.

Speevy

Banned
Little Nemo: The Dream Master - House of Toys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEUUd7c8iDg

This song is special to me because it evokes a very strong sense of nostalgia from my childhood. Not to mention that it's a perfect accompaniment to the brilliant train level from my favorite game of all time. The song starts on a joyful note and continues on, much like the train itself. If you ask me, it's one of the better tracks to come out of the NES.

Animal Crossing - K. K. Love Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OpOufMGrU4

Most people won't "get" this one, so I'll do a little explaining. I was having a really hard time in my life when Animal Crossing was released. I won't go into it, but the game really helped relieve some of the stress that I was feeling. Hearing K.K. on his weekly jam session made me feel at home at a point in my life when the future was very uncertain. The little "oooeeeooo" sounds the dog would make may prove annoying for some, but it contained a bit of comfort for me.

Eternal Darkness - Black Rose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNdpx2wfx2c

This song is just plain awesome if you ask me. It starts out like a showdown in some old West town, and grows in dark intensity throughout. It's even better than the game in which it's featured. There's nothing more to say. Just listen to it.

Morrowind - Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM

Morrowind's vanilla form may have aged a little less than gracefully, but its score is still outstanding. This song captures the grandeur of the world you're about to explore while filling you with a sense of wonder. I don't care how many times I hear the music to this game. It still makes me want to inhabit the world of this game.

Psychonauts - Under the Cover of Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vinasear#p/c/F261215C4D4B47D4/12/hUtypA3kT6g

Now, I've always been surprised that more people don't love this track. It's such a quiet, unassuming little thing but it perfectly captures the atmosphere of the Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp in Psychonauts. The player can feel a sense of danger in the air while they move ever closer to the game's climax. I don't think a track could more effectively convey "camp" than this one.

Nekofrog

Banned
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals - Last Duel

Good.Fucking.Lord. Simply the best take on a Lufia track that I've ever heard. Everything is amazing about this; instrumentation, arrangement, everything. I am not a big orchestral guy (which would explain my distaste for the Tales OSTs), but this just absolutely nails everything about it. I like it even more than the Lufia 2 remix that I did.

Could be just pure nostalgia, but god fucking damn. Beautiful.

Plok: Akrillic

So so difficult to pick out any one Plok tune; it's all 100% Follin magic. A soundtrack from probably my favorite composer in the entire industry (well... no longer in the industry :( ), that could easily sit beside any legendary prog rock album. If you've never checked out the Follins, you're missing out on some of the best music ever put to soundchip.

Parasite Eve - Primal Eyes

If any soundtrack ever absolutely NAILED the "feel" of the game, it was the Parasite Eve OST. The game's awesome setting was enriched by the industrial yet organic sounding themes throughout. Some truly fantastic melodies to be had here.

Silent Hill 2: Love Psalm

Yamaoka is probably my favorite Japanese composer; the emotion evoked through his melodies brings the shining moments of each game straight to life. SH2 was his masterpiece (though each successive game has its own gems). Overdose Delusion is very close behind this song as my favorite from the OST.

So many more...

AniHawk

5. nyxquest - helios
unlike anything i've heard in a platformer. it's got this sense of urgency to it, but it's upbeat about it. it gels with the game so well, making it feel more like an adventure. of course, the whole soundtrack is like this, but this one stands out in particular.

4. the wind waker - staff credits
maybe listing stuff not found in the game itself, but only at the end, is cheating. still, this struck the right note for me after the bittersweet ending (and uneven game). it's probably the only time hearing (fake) bagpipes hasn't driven me crazy. the mix of traditional zelda themes was also very well done.

3. valkyria chronicles - desperate fight
i loved hearing this piece whenever it got going. there's a lot of great music in this game, but this is the only one i ever tried syncing to my actions, making damn sure it was my turn at the 1:12 mark so I could rush my scouts through a hailstorm of enemy bullets and take out their forces.

2. donkey kong country 2: diddy's kong quest - stickerbrush symphony
yeah, kind of a boring choice, but damn if it isn't catchy as all hell. and it was attached to the perfect level- one that would drive people crazy if they didn't have this to calm them down.

1. beyond good & evil - home sweet home
i fucking love home sweet home. it's part of the credits music, and it feels like that's where it belongs. imagine my surprise replaying it 5 years after the fact in 2008, not remembering that it also appears while actually playing the game. it really does not sound like it belongs in a video game. the piano work is so beautiful, and the background music gives it this otherworldly feel. yet it feels right at home in beyond good & evil, and for me, if it could be done, is the game distilled to its musical form. beautiful, wistful, and warm.

Terrific thread.

I have no real definitive list of my favourite video game songs or soundtrack, as much as I adore the music produced in our industry. I value the importance of music in video games execeptionally highly, as its ability to convey and capture emotions is just as important as the visual.

I also have no real preference for any specific era of video game music. I love modern music just as I adore 8/16-bit soundtracks. Each offers a different, but just as potent flavour. The five picks below are all varied, but not necessarily my absolute favourites. Why? Because I don't have any favourites. There are simply too many to list. And there are also so many great games I've yet to play, I'd never truly feel capable of creating a definitive top 5.

That said, here are five selections which I hope many recognize. For those who don't, I certainly hope you enjoy them anyway.

Selection 1

Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy

Gusty Garden is a perennial favourite of many, but for good reason. Its ability to capture the essence of fun and wonder - the true core of Super Mario Galaxy - is virtually unparalled. There's no downtime here - it's all a relentless piece of exceptional orchestration - but it's around 1:25 when it truly soars. It's as if the song is saying to your face "this is the most fucking awesome thing ever. We know it and now you know it too."

The Super Mario Galaxy series has an incredibly eclectic and consistent excellence, but no other track in either game manages to topple Gusty Garden for pure musical bliss.

Selection 2

Okami - Kushi's Ride

Okami contains easily one of the greatest video game soundtracks ever produced. From the superb instrumentation, to the soaring melodies, to its ability to capture every single moment - both uplifting and sorrowful - is almost without peer.

Kushi's Ride is Okami at its most powerful. The theme occurs several times throughout the game, always before a major moment in the story, and never once does it overstay its welcome. It truly conveys the importance of what you're heading into. The first time you hear it - from memory, it's carrying Kushi towards the lair of Orochi - it'll send chills down your spine. Without fail.

Selection 3

Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home

Beyond Good & Evil is remembered by any gaming enthusiastics for its incredibly diverse soundtrack. There's a little bit of everything throughout the game, with influences from reggae, hip-hop, classical and more.

Home Sweet Home is decidely more serene and laid-back than other songs in the game, but it's also the best. You encounter the song twice in the game - once when exploring on your hovercraft, and the other during the end credits. The piano melody is the centrepiece of the song and for good reason.

Hillys - and indeed, the game itself - is an incredibly 'alive' universe that was an outstanding creation in 2003 and remains an excellent example of how to create a video game world. Home Sweet Home brilliantly captures the essence of Hillys - its beautiful and familiar, as if you had somehow been there before.

Selection 4

Metroid Prime - Inside the Crashed Frigate

The Metroid series has always been home to moody, ambient music that evokes the 'unknown.' Much of this music is often unsettling and eerie, but upon entering the crashed frigate in Metroid Prime you encounter a serene, almost sorrowful piano melody that instantly grabs you.

I think it's the fact you've just come off the thumping bass and synth of Tallon Overworld 2, and suddenly come across this drastic shift in tone that makes it have such an incredible impact. The Prime series (and Metroid in general) is home to its fair share of memorable moments, and this up with the best of them.

Selection 5

Kameo: Elements of Power - Battle Over the Bridge

Not that many people played Kameo, but those who did were treated to a truly outstanding soundtrack. And I mean outstanding. This is almost as good as it gets folks.

Battle over the Bridge occurs only a few times throughout the game, but it never failed to grab me. The thumping percussion, the strings, the choir, the way in which it keeps building and building...what an outstanding piece of music this is.

If you haven't played Kameo before, it's incredibly cheap these days and there isn't much like it on the system. Even if you don't like the actual game, at least you'll be treated to Steve Burke's musical magic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I’d like to begin by saying that I’m very partial towards guitar/acoustic/violin-based music. I also use a lot of these to work out or do pilates, so if it seems like there’s a heavy reliance on battle themes, that’s why. But I love my share of emotional, heartrending themes as well.

I won’t make this list necessarily a “Top 5” like my choices in this thread because there might be some overlapping with other posters. Rather, I’ll take a selection of those tracks and others, and elaborate on why I like them. What I generally like about music threads is hearing something that is rarely ever mentioned in threads, or seeing a track from a soundtrack that doesn’t seem to be appreciated enough. These aren't necessarily my favourites, but they're damn good tracks, imo.

So in no particular order…

Selection A: Shadow Hearts: Covenant: The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis – Yoshitaka Hirota

This isn’t necessarily the theme I’d pick to showcase Yoshitaka Hirota’s talent. In my opinion, Hirota helped to make the Shadow Hearts series what it was by defining not only its soundscape, but also helping to define its tone, mood and atmosphere (with a little bit of help from Mitsuda every now and then). I think he’s a little underrated, to be honest with you.

The acoustic intro coupled with the orgel is absolutely beautiful, yet grave. A single sombre voice chanting joins in, but doesn’t overshadow the instruments. Percussion, strings and a bass (bass makes me melt) join, in slowly building into this sombre melody. The piece slowly builds and builds into its climax when the singing takes over. Then you have a moment of rest… and then… another buildup, and the violin takes over with a beautiful sombre melody accompanied by the guitars and percussion. We are treated to a rather anti-climactic ending, but I think it’s handled well with the acoustic plucking, percussion and chanting.

Hirota’s music isn’t usually calm like this, so it’s a very nice change of pace.

Selection B: Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics: Rune of Punishment ~Meeting the Cursed Rune – Norikazu Miura

This is one of my favourite Genso Suikoden themes ever. I never would have thought that Genso Suikoden IV would have given me one of my favourite tracks in the series. But here we are. I’ve said it before, but I’ll repeat myself here. While Miki Higashino was no longer at the helm for Genso Suikoden’s soundscape, Norikazu Miura and Masahiko Kimura picked up the slack starting with Genso Suikoden IV’s soundtrack (well, I didn’t find that it picked up until Rhapsodia’s soundtrack, imo).

The Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics version is essentially the “director’s cut” and complete of the theme. You encounter this theme before on the Genso Suikoden IV soundtrack, but it’s cut short. This is a beautiful, extremely moving piano and violin duet. It’s a well-constructed tearjerker melody. It’s a lovely and extremely accurate musical representation of the main character’s—no, I guess that would apply to nearly all Suikoden protagonists, wouldn’t it?—burdens and hardships throughout the game. While the violin does all the work carrying the melody, the piano solo portion at around 02:42 playing the main melody, despite seemingly lonely is extremely beautiful in its simplicity. It’s definitely one of my favourite “tragic” themes in the Suikoden series. While Reminiscence from Genso Suikoden II (rightfully) gets so much praise, I can’t help but to enjoy Rune of Punishment even more because of what it represents, and because of its beautiful simplicity and heartbreaking mood. It’s one of those rare themes that I can just feel in my heart and soul.

Selection C: Last Ranker: This Journey Without End – Yoko Shimomura

I like this version a little more than the vocal version. It’s probably the best theme on the (excellent) soundtrack. The percussion gives it a nice little dramatic push, and the electric guitars give sufficient backing while the tender violins weave in and out of the piece supplementing the “vocal” portions, with the piano playing a lovely tender melody. It’s also slightly faster than the vocal version. It’s actually the piece that made me want to buy the game, which I eventually did. It is extremely outstanding and genuinely surprised me with how beautiful and well-composed it was.

I’ll say this about the vocal version, however: Shimomura knows how to pick out vocalists with very very very good diction (you would be surprised with how many vocalists love to forget their diction). I envy Joelle Strother’s contralto (I believe) voice a little, actually; I’m a coloratura mezzo-soprano, and it’s hard for me to switch between my “head voice” and “chest voice” like that because of my weird vocal range. But she does it quite nicely, even if she has little breathy spots here and there. The staccato portions are my favourite, actually.

Selection D: Digital Devil Saga 2: Madness – Shoji Meguro

I couldn’t resist this one, sorry. Meguro is my new hero. When I was younger, trying out new themes to tab out on my guitar, or to take to my guitar teacher for practice, the only thing I had at my disposal was the Chrono Cross soundtrack and a few OC remixes when I was a teenager. While the only things I could play were Chronomantique and Radical Dreamers during recitals, I kind of wanted to do more game pieces. Sadly, I stopped conservatory guitar (and vocal) after my junior year of high school. I didn’t find that many game soundtracks that liberally used the acoustic or electric guitars. I stumbled upon Meguro’s stuff during my early years of university while playing DDS and SMT3. And I never looked back.

A lot of the battle themes in Digital Devil Saga 2 are some of the best battle themes I have ever heard. It was difficult picking just one. In the end, I decided to settle on Madness. While it’s a mess of synth in the beginning, electric guitars pave the way through the chaotic synth for a melody, and then pave the way for a piano to make its way through the fray being backed by hard-hitting quick percussion. When the “chorus” finally rears its head, it’s a simple piano/guitar duet backed by the messy synth and percussion. It’s downright romantic to me. *breathless* It’s an amazing progression of the melody, really… :3

Selection E: Tales of Series: Fighting of the Spirit – Shinji Tamura

Er. I couldn’t resist this one either. Honestly, picking a version of the theme was very difficult for me to do, and I ended up picking the PS1 Phantasia arranged version. It’s a good cohesive piece for working out or going for a run. The best part of this is the backing bass. It’s so good. The portion that will always be my favourite is the staccato portion leading into the climax of the theme, though (it’s 1:16 here). In this version, it’s done with synth trumpets, but my favourite rendition of that is in the Tales of Symphonia version. It makes me think that shit’s about to go down, so hunker down! I just think it’s quite a powerful boss theme.

-------------------------------------------------

This was hard. 10 tracks would have been easier, but my post would have been a book. Like I said in the other thread, my list of favourite tracks will change day to day, or upon listening to themes I haven't heard in a while, or listening to new themes. So it's really hard for me to narrow down a top 25, or especially a top 5.

Electivirus said:
5. The Village Without Memories (Opoona) - Noriyuki Kamikura - I've never played Opoona before in order to get the context behind this song, and honestly, I don't need to. It's absolutely stunning on it's own. An amazing mixture of electronica, acoustic, and string work, it's a thing of beauty. The mournful violin duet in particular keeps me hitting that repeat button on my iPod every time. This also serves to remind me that the Basiscape team is at their best when they're catering to their own individual strengths, rather than just trying to ape Sakimoto's style.

Wow, that is fantastic.

I had no idea Opoona had such great music.

vall03

fuuu! I really love the soundtrack of Opoona but I have yet to play it! damn! Im missing so much! Will make a list later, I have too many to choose from...

Astal UOST - 13 The Crystal Palacehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4AZvCO8mA&feature=related
This is an amazing song out of an amazing soundtrack that not to many people give props to...

Tobal No.2 - China Dress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluYtmOWpZAAnother great song that if people knew about it it would get much more play on these forums...

Street Fighter EX3 - Precious Heart (Sakura's Theme) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NXqEj0XzIU Poor Sakura, they should have kept this theme.....

The Best of Ys Music #7 - Tower of the Shadow of Death (Ys I) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqL-yo-oEg&feature=relatedOh yeah baby, give it up for Ys

Lagoon music (SNES) Philips Castlehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_uZlGgfptA&playnext=1&list=PL8D49F18C41D30C76an underrated game with a great soundtrack..........

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My songs are mostly sad and stuff:

Room of Angel - Akira Yamaoka from Silent Hill: The Room

What I like about this song is that it's very depressing and melancholic and it fits the environment of Silent Hill: The Room. This is played in the intro of Silent Hill 4 (and one of its long trailers).

June Mermaid - Yasunori Mitsuda from Xenogears

June Mermaid is probably what best describes Xenogears: sad, beautiful, and has a wondrous story. As far as I know, this is Emeralda's theme. My favorite part of this song is past the 1:30 mark simply because that part sounds like clips from Chrono Trigger and it gives of a mysterious feeling.

Reminiscence - Miki Higashino from Suikoden II

This describes the youth of Jowy and Riou, innocent and free from the terror that has happened. The song presents how much we miss our youth and how the world seems great to us.

Venerable Forest - Motoi Sakuraba from Star Ocean: The Second Story

I like how this song sounds so tranquil and it makes a great track for a starting point in an RPG. The song gives of a sacred feeling and a start of an epic journey into a beautiful planet. This song was played at the start of SO2 when you first land in an unknown planet.

Fly Me to the Moon - Helena Noguerra from Bayonetta

Not a sad song at all but one of my favorite tracks this generation. I love how this song sounds so preppy and lively, not to mention catchy and seductive. It fits Bayonetta: seductive and wacky.

TheDanger

Banned
I think the best game soundtrack I heard so far was from Halo 3. The main menu theme is just awesome and everytime I hear it I want to play Halo 3. Also the themes through the whole campaign are beautiful and epic. My favorite Halo 3 theme is Never forget, I love the piano.

Diamond

Like Dark Schala's post, it's rather a selection for this thread than a real top 5. I wouldn't be able to tell if, say, Home Sweet Home is above Morrowind Theme or vice-versa in my mind, and I could list a lot more tracks. I like lists, I rarely see the point of ranking the entries. :)

Splinter Cell - Chinese Embassy (Michael Richard Plowman)

I'll always remember this moment in the first Splinter Cell. Of course the game was amazing but the moment it really clicked with me was in the Chinese Embassy level. You have to infiltrate the Embassy of China in Yangon, Myanmar, at night. The music starts very low, I remember jumping over some obstacles in the narrow streets just after the beginning of the mission. There, I saw a gorgeous night sky : the stars, the moon. And then the chinese gong (I think it's the instrument used) kicks in, and I WAS Sam Fisher.
The track is not very long but very atmospheric, with street noises mixed with the music.

Halo - Under Cover Of Night (Marty O'Donnell)

Again, a "night" track, but nobody picked it so far, so... :)
It plays during one of the best missions in Halo CE (Truth and Reconciliation). You are with your platoon, eliminating the Covenants one by one, silently. Suddenly, the music starts pulsing in the dark. It's a perfect crescendo, with percussions getting stronger and stronger, and finally awesome choirs during the last minute. Halo is still mysterious at this point of the story, and the tracks helps you realize you're somewhere alien, dangerous and fascinating. I love O'Donnell's work but I still think Halo CE is his best work.

Alan Wake - The Poet And The Muse (Poets Of The Fall + Sam Lake)

Remedy chosed some very good licenced tracks for Alan Wake, and it's amazing that their original songs work so well, surrounded by David Bowie or Depeche Mode. They have the chance to work very closely with a talented finnish alternative rock band and it shows. The song is literally a key point in the story, performed by two great NPCs and explaining some things done and some things to come. I like the acoustic guitar and electric guitar mix (the quick solo in the last part is awesome), and Marko Saaresto has a great voice.

Nier - This Dream (Keiichi Okabe)

The game and the soundtrack are very popular here, but I feel it's good to keep talking about them. I love basically all the tracks, but This Dream is special. The work of Emi Evans has been acclaimed, and is indeed amazing, however this instrumental piece doesn't need any voice to induce a sereine feeling, with acoustic guitar and piano only. It plays in the dream forest, one of the most interesting areas of the game. There's something mystical in this music, something unknown, something a little bit sad... Because Nier is a sad game.

Hitman - Theme (Jesper Kid)

Hitman, Jesper Kid, not much more to say. The first Hitman theme is menacing, cold, just like our 47. I love the punch of this song, it feels like metal, steel. It's violent without completely showing it. It fits the game perfectly.

Shit, someone took Halo before me... Oh well...
Come on, keep the posts coming guys !

_Alkaline_ said:
Wow, that is fantastic.

Yup ! Tokione is pretty awesome. :)

vall03

I just can't really explain myself why I chose this among several others, there are just too many to list but most have these sad and yet mellow feeling with them and I can't even believe myself choosing these style over other upbeat, heavy and rock style of music and this feels weird. Anyway, heres my list.
I suck at describing stuff so pardon me[.spoiler]

Zwei - Final Battle ~Demon Vesper~ Super Arrange Version
Falcom Sound Team jdk

I actually had a hard time choosing between the original and the arrange version but in the end I chose the arrange version. For reference here is the original. There is something enchanting from the arrange that gives off this epic yet happy and satisfying feeling of achieving something very great.
I want to play the game... :(

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - Iris
Tomohito Nishiura

The reason why I consider Diabolical Box better than the other Layton games, Iris. This has several versions like the voiced one and the music box version but I chose this because this composition imo fits perfectly with the ending of the game and it clearly shows off a feeling of a sad yet fulfilling love.

Pokemon Black & White - Summer in Lacunosa
Hitomi Saito

I was completely floored when I first heard this and disappointed that this particular track was not in the game. As the title suggest, it gives off a relaxing and soothing sensation when you listen to it.

Super Mario Galaxy - Wind Garden
Mahito Yokota

The main reason I bought Super Mario Galaxy and Im glad I heard this because I would've ignored the game totally because at that time I still thought of Mario as "kiddy" and "childish". How wrong I was when I heard this. I was really surprised since this was my first 3D Mario game. It has this calming yet epic tune with it and a new yet nostalgic feeling.

Suikoden IV - Rune of Punishment
Masahiko Kimura

I know the game really wasn't that good but the music was really good imo and I prefer it over the other Suikoden games. Rune of Punishment perfectly fits with the tone, story and theme of the game. A sad music full of sacrifices, you keep trying and standing up after every failure and ultimately ends in a tragic way. bah, Im really bad at this...

Well, why not. Tried to go for a more battle music bent in the selection.

Okami - The Sun Rises: Simply listening to this track invokes the idea of accomplishment, triumph and power, married to one of the best moments in the whole game. It's a fantastic track on its own, but everything around it (even it's name!) works together to complement and elevate it.

Shadow of the Colossus - The Opened Way: Wander is a rare breed of protagonist - a sword-wielder who is actually not all that good with a sword, tasked with slaying sixteen giants of stone and flesh. The music here that plays when you do something that gives you the vital opening you need to slay your opponent really changes the situation from 'how am I going to do this?' to 'I can do this!', especially given the usually gloomy tracks beforehand.

Nier - Song of the Ancients - Fate: Song of the Ancients was originally a slow, haunting melody sung by one of the protagonists' friends and treated as the melody for the village proper. So to hear it remixed into a driving battle theme is quite the experience, especially since the first time you hear it play you're engaged in a pitched, no holds barred battle to protect your home. The opening drumbeats really help set the mood, too.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - In The Final: As might be surmised from the title, the theme used for the final boss of the game. I like this because it manages to evoke both the feelings of facing a dark, powerful opponent and yet that this is a battle that can be fought and won at the same time, which is pretty skillful of Shimomura.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - Unbreakable Chains: Much like In The Final before it, both foreboding and hopefulness can be said to be clashing together in this track, although this time the dichotomy between the two sections is a lot more apparent instead of mixing it together into one smooth flow. One of my favourite tracks from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PIZqt.jpg

Parasite Eve - Battle theme - I'm not really sure why I like this. It's weird. It's not really blood-pumping or angry enough to work as a battle theme. It's weird spacey electro-jazz. And actually the keyboard synth is kind of crummy, almost like elevator muzak. It's also not really dark the way the game is--truly one of the hardest-M RPGs on the market and almost entirely due to the gruesome and twisted nature of the designs. So, I guess I don't really have an explanation here. It shouldn't work, it doesn't really, but I love it anyway.

DthPc.jpg

Mass Effect 1 - Ending theme ("M4 Part II" by Faunts) - Just to note, this isn't really video game music. It's an actual recorded and released song. It might be cheating to include it here. But it's an incredible tonal match for the game. The guitar riff, the airy vocals, the almost martial drum beat--all remind me of a kind of post-rock version of Vangelis. The lyrics speak to mutual need and desperate struggle, which I think highlights the team-gathering humanist aspect of Mass Effect and the cliffhanger set up by the first game of having defeated a reaper but knowing the war isn't over. And I need you to recover / because I can't make it on my own. The first time I finished the game, watching the fade to black credits, the song just had me enraptured. When it faded out and the credits ended, all I wanted to do was start another playthrough. Wonderful.

Aywbn.jpg

The Sim City SNES soundtrack
Okay. Multi-part mention. Basically, Nintendo made a port of Sim City (classic) to the SNES near launch. Their version is really good, great UI, great presentation, and really a good way to get into the series. But more than anything the music stands out to me. Each level of city (starting from village, ending at Megalopolis) has its own theme track. The tracks escalate in bombast and complexity, reflecting the fact that managing the city becomes more complex.

Village - Slow paced, relaxing, almost like a summer cottage.
Town
City - Is there a hint of worry here? Pollution? Crime? Unemployment? Meanwhile the... vibraphone synth buzzes like crickets, suggesting some activity in contrast to the sleepy village/town themes.
Capital - Listen to the beginning of "Capital" and the klaxxon sample sounds almost like a breaking news alert. It's tough to be mayor.
Metropolis - "Metropolis", to me, has an almost decadent 80s Wall Street feel. Really sharp, stacatto bursts of keyboard synth. You've made the big-times, kid.
Megalopolis - Of course the end goal of Sim City is to achieve a Megalopolis, at which point your city is impressive and self-managing--so the theme reflects this. It's a pumping number that sounds like it has some ragtime inspiration, but you feel like a superhero standing on a skyscraper overlooking a bustling world. Then, around the half-way mark, there's a brassy rendition of the leitmotif set up in the original "Village" theme.

The individual tracks aren't mindblowing and I don't listen to them outside the game (particularly because the samples are pretty dreadful on the ears). But they are so well integrated to the gameplay that I couldn't avoid mentioning them.

zBv5t.jpg

Chrono Trigger - The Brink of Time Arranged Album - Chrono Corridor - Zeal is the best part of an amazing game. You ride the light-stream teleporter up from the frigid ice age earth. Here is this peaceful paradise, floating in the air. Filled with scholars. Their clothes, their architecture, everything feels almost Indian. And the Zeal theme? Wonderful.

The Brink of Time is a jazz-arranged album of Chrono Trigger music. Actually, it veers into acid jazz and electronica, but this track is mostly jazz. Anyway, I really like it because it's a really rich arrangement of a song I already loved. The weird juxtaposition of a dinky pipe organ synth with a guitar that has almost Sitar-esque tones really fits the game's mood. Near the end, the guitar part noodles a little bit, but in a good way. After four or five minutes of being very cautious and only improvising a little bit, it really comes up. Very cool. I feel like if Chrono Trigger was remade today, this is about as close as you could get to what a modern version of the Zeal theme would be.

(will probably edit with a few more)

PooBone

Rather than list individual songs I'm just gonna list games.

Halo series: specifically Halo 1 since so many of the tracks for later games were remixes of those tracks or borrowed melodies.

Shadow of the Colossus: epic and touching. Amazing score

Silent Hill series: my favorite of those is Silent Hill 3. Akira Yamaoka's ambient sounds can be really unnerving, but he also uses lots of dark, soft melodies, combined with somber, rocking guitar songs. Awesome.

Mirror's Edge: A lot of the music is sort of ambient background noise, but it sets the mood so well. Solar Fields I believe did 90% of the soundtrack and really did a spectacular job. This is definitely a "score" rather than a list of songs. Give it a chance.

Assassin's Creed 2: Lots of gorgeous pieces in this soundtrack, my favorite being "Earth." Jesper Kyd deserves a listen.

Here are five really good tunes, in no particular order:

Cobra Triangle - Shoot The Targets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCqSvDOecA0

All the music from this game is great. Gives a great fun vibe, but also giving a sense of challenge to reflect the difficulty of the game. some of my favourite David Wise music.

Super Double Dragon - Level 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyiGb_oB5o

There is a lot of good music in this series but I really like the atmosphere of this tune. It has a real 80s feel. It gives a sense of long struggle...

The Lawnmower Man - Main Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrigcA6oLaA

Very cool... You can turn the lights off and really concentrate on this one. It has that heart-beat drum kick like you are really in a dream like state. It's a shame the game sucked.

Jurassic Park - Triceratops Trot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEEysIS-hcc

Just listen to it, it's awesome. It's a shame Ocean died. You need both stereo channels to get the effect.

Sword Master - Level 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4sVRuIDAc
This is a very fun but kick arse tuner. It also has this mystical, occult vibe. The ensemble of instruments seem really odd to me. I try to picture this strange quartet of musicians hanging out at night in the woods playing this crazy tune while a swordsman in full plate armour fights killer bats and skeletons.

ZZMitch

Stumpokapow said:
gJiXz.jpg

Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu - Man's capacity is limitless. From nothing, we have made something. We are all connected. One of the finest pieces of humanist world music ever composed.

Came here to post this. This song really shines when it is played with the Civ IV menu video. They go perfectly together.

_Alkaline_ said:
Wow, that is fantastic.

You have no idea. Funny thing is that the game only got an official soundtrack release 3 years after the game came out, mainly because Basiscape's fans clamored for it. Well, that and Basiscape didn't have their own record company until then. :p

Kabouter

Syberia - Main Theme
Definitely my favourite video game track of all-time, although I'm not entirely sure it doesn't have a different name. I like the feeling it conjures up, it gives me the feeling the game wants to give you, discovering the unknown, exploring strange locales. For me, the track reaches its high point from the 1m44 mark on.

Transport Tycoon - Sawyer's Theme Composed by John Broomhall
My favourite part of this track is actually the beginning, it makes me eager to get started building something big, and more importantly, it just makes me feel cheerful and happy, which is never a bad thing for a videogame to do. Most of all though, listening to that track brings back very fond memories of playing the game with my sister when I was around nine years old.

Tropico - Buenos Noches Composed by Daniel Indart
Tropico always manages to give me that super relaxed summer feeling, and this track definitely contributes to that. From the 1m20 mark on it is especially good. I actually occasionally put this track on when I want to chill a bit, even though I rarely listen to video game music outside of the games.

The Sims - Let's Go Shopping
Composed by Jerry Martin and Marc Russo
To me, this song is The Sims. It has a great 50s feel, it feels sort of...innocent I suppose. And I think that is something that fits what the Sims was quite well.

Secret Files 2 - Main Theme Composed by Axel Rohrbach
I really like how this track builds, and how it fits with the 'adventure' part of this point & click adventure.

jayTOH

I can most definitely think of better selections (with exceptions to my first two), but these were what came to my head first.

Final Fantasy VIII - Fisherman's Horizon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKTBDhT55ns&hd=1

Fisherman's Horizon was, is, and will forever be my favorite town in any RPG EVER, if only for the music. It's just so.. peaceful and serene (besides the few incidents that happen in the game). I believe this version, taken from the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec album and conducted by Koji Haijima, is the best of this piece.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM

I'm terrible with words, so I'll just repost what Speevy said
Speevy said:
Morrowind's vanilla form may have aged a little less than gracefully, but its score is still outstanding. This song captures the grandeur of the world you're about to explore while filling you with a sense of wonder. I don't care how many times I hear the music to this game. It still makes me want to inhabit the world of this game.

Street Fighter EX3 - Rising Dragon (Ryu's Theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RskKUPPmaI

Although I've never played this iteration of SF before, this tune is kickass. Again, gonna jack someone else's words:
Mckyboyz on YouTube said:
This theme perfectly fits a kind-hearted hero like Ryu.
Listened to this song on my MP3 player non-stop.
It gives me courage, bravery and determination.
Ryu will always be my idol and favorite gaming character of all time.

Ragnarok Online - Theme of Morroc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4b7XJPjNWI
+
Ragnarok Online - Desert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkGxvhhGSc&feature=related

These two go hand-in-hand with each other, so I lumped them together. Ragnarok Online was the first MMO I played, and as most players do, I started out as a Thief which convieniently starts you out at Morroc. They're not exceptional pieces, but what they provide me with is that sense of adventure, sort of like an anime.

Super Mario 64 - Water Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTJWhbOn7E

The water music in all Mario games are really amazing, but the one from 64 takes the cake. I can't remember which stage it was where you start off diving into a huge body of water (Dire Docks?), but that feeling you get when you first play that level tells the story of why this song is just so good.

speedpop

Luthos said:
Lost Odyssey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3dh_R2eu8
- The Dream Stories, man. Those and the music are the best things about that game. And this song always seems to hit right when they get to the sad parts.
Lost Odyssey is one of those games that I'll eventually get around to play. I feel disadvantage at times for not bothering with a 360, but maybe one day I'll eventually borrow my brother's console for a week and smash through this game. The track you selected only helps to further that need.

ULTROS! said:
Reminiscence - Miki Higashino from Suikoden II
This describes the youth of Jowy and Riou, innocent and free from the terror that has happened. The song presents how much we miss our youth and how the world seems great to us.
I really wanted to select this track because it is so impressionable upon myself and seems to be very nostalgic to one's own being.

Dark Schala said:
Selection B: Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics: Rune of Punishment ~Meeting the Cursed Rune – Norikazu Miura

This is one of my favourite Genso Suikoden themes ever. I never would have thought that Genso Suikoden IV would have given me one of my favourite tracks in the series. But here we are. I’ve said it before, but I’ll repeat myself here. While Miki Higashino was no longer at the helm for Genso Suikoden’s soundscape, Norikazu Miura and Masahiko Kimura picked up the slack starting with Genso Suikoden IV’s soundtrack (well, I didn’t find that it picked up until Rhapsodia’s soundtrack, imo).

The Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics version is essentially the “director’s cut” and complete of the theme. You encounter this theme before on the Genso Suikoden IV soundtrack, but it’s cut short. This is a beautiful, extremely moving piano and violin duet. It’s a well-constructed tearjerker melody. It’s a lovely and extremely accurate musical representation of the main character’s—no, I guess that would apply to nearly all Suikoden protagonists, wouldn’t it?—burdens and hardships throughout the game. While the violin does all the work carrying the melody, the piano solo portion at around 02:42 playing the main melody, despite seemingly lonely is extremely beautiful in its simplicity. It’s definitely one of my favourite “tragic” themes in the Suikoden series. While Reminiscence from Genso Suikoden II (rightfully) gets so much praise, I can’t help but to enjoy Rune of Punishment even more because of what it represents, and because of its beautiful simplicity and heartbreaking mood. It’s one of those rare themes that I can just feel in my heart and soul.

This was hard. 10 tracks would have been easier, but my post would have been a book. Like I said in the other thread, my list of favourite tracks will change day to day, or upon listening to themes I haven't heard in a while, or listening to new themes. So it's really hard for me to narrow down a top 25, or especially a top 5.
Wow. I had never heard the Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics version of this.. it seems to feel so much more complete - and that's coming from someone who enjoyed Suikoden IV and especially adored the Rune of Punishment song. I was torn about whether adding it, but glad to see it pop up on vall03's list. I still recall being physically moved when the song came on in the Suikoden IV trailer. I cannot even recall why I did not get stuck into Rhapsodia. Maybe it simply came out at the wrong time and I ignored it. Now I definitely have to track the game and the soundtrack down.

But yeah, in an ideal world this thread would have at least consisted of a top 10 list; a top 25 list sounds perfect. However I think it really shows sacrifice for one's own interest when they have to seriously weigh up their options and consider what songs truly moves them.

Kabouter said:
Syberia - Main Theme
Definitely my favourite video game track of all-time, although I'm not entirely sure it doesn't have a different name. I like the feeling it conjures up, it gives me the feeling the game wants to give you, discovering the unknown, exploring strange locales. For me, the track reaches its high point from the 1m44 mark on.
This is really impressive and sounds so majestic. I feel like an absolute shill when I point to my P&C Adventure badge and then I run into the shadows when Syberia is mentioned because I never played both games. Another music link compelling me to buy the games..

speedpop

Double post but I'm also happy to see a few Mario Galaxy mentions, even though it seems that suggesting the music from those games is a sin these days. I wanted to go through them and see which ones were really fitting, but unfortunately I don't listen to as much Nintendo music as the rest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gblues said:
Um, it's the Lord's Prayer translated into Swahili. Not humanist at all.

Humanism here doesn't refer to secular humanism, it refers to the commonality/universality of man. Paul Simon writes overtly Judeo-Christian stuff too, but his music is still broadly humanist. Or, to spin this the other way--do you think Tin's intention or Firaxis' was to suggest the superiority or universality of Christianity, or do you think my reflection more accurately characterizes the intent of the arranged piece, and how/when it was used?

gblues said:
Um, it's the Lord's Prayer translated into Swahili. Not humanist at all.

Humanist is not synonymous with secular. At least, I don't think it is.

Edit: Whoops, left this box open too long.

Llyranor

Arcanum - Main Theme, by Ben Houge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Houge's decision to make string quartet music (played by members of the Seattle Symphony) for the Arcanum soundtrack really pays off, as it whisks you back into a Victorian (steampunk!) era. Fits perfectly for the game. It's hard to describe what this music makes me feel. Serenity? A hint of sadness?

Icewind Dale - Kuldahar, by Jeremy Soule http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y96Y2JE5F8

As your party reaches the druid town of Kuldahar, the music lifts you into this great feeling of peace and security, in constrast to the danger of dungeon-crawling you have to go through in the rest of the game. Connects you with nature, doesn't it?

Planescape: Torment - Deionarra's Theme, by Mark Morgan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUt84LyH2JI

The feeling of some lost love, from another life. Melodic hints of the game's main theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixv_jRI6VqY) bring out this really haunting (-ly beautiful) feeling, too.

Final Fantasy VI - Decisive Battle, by Nobuo Uematsu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLvj5WrKAQ

I remember this so clearly. This was my first FF, my first JRPG after Secret of Mana, my first turn-based (ATB, whatever) game. I wasn't sure what to think about the game yet; the setting was strange, the combat was unfamiliar. As the first boss appeared, and this music started, I knew I was sold on the game. This really pumps you up for the big battle ahead. Great combination of the main melody and bass.

Secret of Mana - Fear of the Heavens, by Hiroki Kikuta http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQChkLQV8_c

A hint of nostalgia, but really, it's all about the theme whisking you away to another world. This was the first game to really do this to me. Immersion? Haha.

GhaleonQ

_Alkaline_ said:
Wow, that is fantastic.

I personally like the game quite a bit, but it's not for everyone.

That said, the music's so good that, after everyone relied on gamerips for years, they still made the effort to put out this gorgeous set in late December 20-fricking-10. http://vgmdb.net/album/21398

gblues

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Humanism here doesn't refer to secular humanism, it refers to the commonality/universality of man. Paul Simon writes overtly Judeo-Christian stuff too, but his music is still broadly humanist. Or, to spin this the other way--do you think Tin's intention or Firaxis' was to suggest the superiority or universality of Christianity, or do you think my reflection more accurately characterizes the intent of the arranged piece, and how/when it was used?

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose that with a broader sense of "the general love of humanity," I would agree. And it certainly makes sense as the theme of Civilization, which is about as humanist of a game as you could possibly ask for. Also, regarding the actual thread topic, it's a great pick and also my favorite from Civ4.

Top Bottom