• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE = id Software's Half-Life 2

Deadbeat

Banned
Akia said:
Borderlands 2 is definitely going to do well sales wise but I think it might suffer critically due to comparisons to Rage.
Borderlands came first. Pretty sure the comparsion will be the opposite.

"Here Mr. Freeman. A Crowbar. Now without any rhyme or reason, keep going in that direction and win us this war."

Hope RAGE has a better story than THAT.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
devilhunterx said:
"Here Mr. Freeman. A Crowbar. Now without any rhyme or reason, keep going in that direction and win us this war."

Hope RAGE has a better story than THAT.
Excellent Half-Life synopsis.

StuBurns

Banned
For me EP2 is where I actually began to care about the HL universe, until then it was a nice backdrop, an excuse to push on, and they did some great things with sparingly using Alyx in HL2, but the end of EP2, as a story beat, really did a lot for me.

Suairyu

Banned
DarkChild said:
It has dynamic frame buffer because Carmack has fetish on no frame dips at 60fps.They could have gone with drops to mid 50fps,but clearly he won't give up on his 60fps.Anyway,he said resolution drops happen very very rarely,and I have no reason not to believe him.
60 with drops to 50 looks considerably worse than a solid 30.

sp3000

commedieu said:
History Of id's Rage, by Commedieu.

A long time ago John Carmack started talking MAD SHIT about his new engine tech, how it is possibly the best looking and best performing engine ever created n shit. Every interview, every article, every quote, was about his great new technology. Everyone was all, BULLSHIT?!?!, but then he posted screens and videos of his new technology. Everyone then went, Daayyyumm and thats at 60fps?!?!? WOW.

But soon after, the screenshots and the videos started getting dumbed down, the model quality started losing polygons, the post processing effects were no more, the lighting lost sight of multiple objects, the particles were replaced by sprites, and the open world became closed. Without the magic of megatextures, the greatest technical achievement gaming has ever seen, modern post processing and more, little differentiated the game from others. Many found Rage to be underwhelming.

John was then stuck with a game engine running reduced assets/and, well, everything at 60fps, which wasn't the technical marvel he once boasted about. It was hardly the pinnacle of technology for console games. Perhaps he regretted boasting about the technical capabilities of the once great id software, no one will ever know. id learned just as all other developers that console technology is limited. You can have 60fps, but you must reduce everything.

People started to comment and question the technology, as by the naked eye, it appears to be as technically impressive as past titles. It was the focal point of id's commentary about Rage. So thats why its a subject to discuss.Sure, its running 60fps, but any game could run 60fps if you neglect modern day gaming advances, they said.

Those who have been there for Lair, Haze, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie, Kane & Lynch, Tony Hawk, and most video gaming abortions. Come out of the woodwork to speculate on the possibility of it being good. With their track record always against them, it looks to be another sad trophy in the hall of shame.

--

In my opinion, Rage will release and stall in the air. Its not going to find its audience on consoles, and I'm sure id's going to ignore the PC community, where the technological innovation would actually have a chance. An interesting title, ruined by its misleading, uninformed, pr. I'm willing to bet it won't top Bulletstorm. Lots of work, but not enough delivery from id.

The art direction is badass though. They should have just reduced it to 30fps, instead of trying to sway the COD club, which they cant, and made a great experience for all to enjoy without the limitations of 60fps & HD.

Pretty much the truth behind Rage.

The thing is that the majority of console gamers don't give a hoot about who iD software is. For them, Bungie created the FPS genre, or if they are a little older, Rare.

Now Id has all of it's fame on the PC, and it doesn't give a hoot about it's core fanbase. On the consoles, the id name means nothing. They still don't seem to understand that.

jett

D-Member
Suairyu said:
60 with drops to 50 looks considerably worse than a solid 30.

No it doesn't, with triple buffering on such drops are virtually unnoticeable. A drop to 30 fps looks like fucking garbage after you're used to 50~60fps.

Suairyu

Banned
jett said:
No it doesn't, with triple buffering on such drops are virtually unnoticeable.
I sincerely disagree. It solves the more noticeable micro-stuttering, but it doesn't solve the fact you're game is no longer running at a refresh rate easily divisible by your monitor.

In PC games, if I'm not able to get a stable 60 90% of the time, I just force 30 where possible. Exception being FPSs requiring fast-twitchy aiming.

gunbo13

sp3000 said:
Pretty much the truth behind Rage.
It is even easier then that. All the magic footage in the beginning is doable on PCs. Working with consoles over time led to huge cuts due to such a small memory pool. Every addition meant subtraction. The end result is still a very optimized engine on really slow hardware.

This is why the console multi-plats all run around 20-30fps on average and often go sub-hd. These machines are seriously exhausted. Even the genius Carmack can't create a game with respect to hd and frame-rate.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
30fps is horrible for FPSs. I applaud Carmack for choosing responsive gameplay over extra eye candy on the consoles.

TheExodu5

Banned
Half-Life 2 took me around 15 hours. I can replay through the game in 8 or so, but the first playthrough was definitely long.

Half-Life 2 = 12-15 hours
Episode 1 = 3-5 hours
Episode 2 = 5-8 hours

Akia

Deadbeat said:
Borderlands came first. Pretty sure the comparsion will be the opposite.

I am really interested how Rage does critically, also how or if Gearbox has to change Borderlands 2 as a result. It's really weird that both of these games are made in Texas.

Kydd BlaZe

Akia said:
I feel really bad for Gearbox and Borderlands 2 next year. Consumer standards for post-apocalyptic wasteland shooters are most likely going to be raised higher than they can achieve with a two year incremental update.
Regardless of how awesome Rage turns out to be (and I have a feeling that it's going to be fuck-awesome!), Borderlands will always have something that Rage doesn't...4 player drop in drop out co-op. Exploring post-apocalypse wastelands is always more fun when you can bring a few friends ;)

gunbo13

SapientWolf said:
30fps is horrible for FPSs. I applaud Carmack for choosing responsive gameplay over extra eye candy on the consoles.
What's more important though is if gamers who don't know what frame-rates are, give a shit. You are talking about an audience who have no issue with drops in the teens on an fps. They might be going after a fan-base that is only the id faithful. Which means, they might as well have stayed PC exclusive.

We will see how their aim is once the sales hit. Advertising will be huge of course.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gunbo13 said:
What's more important though is if gamers who don't know what frame-rates are, give a shit. You are talking about an audience who have no issue with drops in the teens on an fps. They might be going after a fan-base that is only the id faithful. Which means, they might as well have stayed PC exclusive.

We will see how their aim is once the sales hit. Advertising will be huge of course.
I dunno about that. Maybe CoD is the number 1 FPS on the consoles for a reason. id wants some of those dollars too.

Gintamen

Kydd BlaZe said:
Regardless of how awesome Rage turns out to be (and I have a feeling that it's going to be fuck-awesome!), Borderlands will always have something that Rage doesn't...4 player drop in drop out co-op. Exploring post-apocalypse wastelands is always more fun when you can bring a few friends ;)
Is it? Borderlands will have no realistic looking world in return.

Kydd BlaZe

Gintamen said:
Borderlands will have no realistic looking world in return.
That was never the draw to Borderlands in the first place. The whole point of it was to be as extreme and over the top as possible, with an exaggerated art-style to compliment that theme. It worked extremely well, and the sequel looks to build upon that very solid foundation.

gunbo13

SapientWolf said:
I dunno about that. Maybe CoD is the number 1 FPS on the consoles for a reason. id wants some of those dollars too.
Nah, people loves perks, head-shots, and accessibility. CoD hits the brain desires of millions of American males like a psychological wonder drug.

Kydd BlaZe said:

It's so true. I was eating a huge pile of human feces the other day and it just wasn't doing it for me, so I grabbed some buddies and we chowed down.

StuBurns

Banned
The performance of CoD does help it's popularity I think. The exclusion of competitive MP in Rage is one of the most strange decisions for a major release in recent years I can think of.

Kydd BlaZe

Sinatar said:
Rage has Co-Op...
Not co-op in the traditional sense. What Rage has is a seperate, sort of Horde-style co-op mode, and if I'm not mistaken, it only supports up to two players.

jim-jam bongs said:
It's so true. I was eating a huge pile of human feces the other day and it just wasn't doing it for me, so I grabbed some buddies and we chowed down.
Lol, I'm just saying that co-op was one of the reasons that Borderlands was so popular. I personally don't think that Rage will do as well as Borderlands (at least commercially), but we shall see.

E3 2011 build, 1+ GB 720p video of "actual gameplay footage", PC version, my screenshots to show how the wall/ground textures look:

1cckx.jpg

2cdxp.jpg

3pfng.jpg

4fd7q.jpg

59fe9.jpg

6pdq7.jpg

7uclj.jpg

85d0m.jpg

Please note that there are a lot I like about the graphics in this video, for example their style/art direction and the color of the lighting.

I'm just showing how bad the megatextures for the environment look once you get close to them. On the other hand those for the characters (I didn't make screencaps of those but you can see 2 characters on the above screenshots) might be the most detailed I've ever seen..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow... I hope Carmack releases that hi res asset pack he was talking about during his Quakecon keynote because that looks like utter balls.

Atruvius

Just watched Carmack's keynote speech and what struck me the most was the part about console commands on consoles. Both Microsoft and Sony said no to plugging in keyboard and using console commands. Why? At least PS3 supports bluetooth keyboards and TW2 had console commands on consoles, didn't? It would have been amazing and Carmack sounded so bummed about that.

-SD-

Banned
Deadbeat said:
But valve has made consistently good games over the years. The last good game id made was from 1999.
My thoughts exactly.

Thread title needs to come down from the id fanboi clouds.

StuBurns

Banned
Atruvius said:
Just watched Carmack's keynote speech and what struck me the most was the part about console commands on consoles. Both Microsoft and Sony said no to plugging in keyboard and using console commands. Why? At least PS3 supports bluetooth keyboards and TW2 had console commands on consoles, didn't? It would have been amazing and Carmack sounded so bummed about that.
Because they don't want you breaking the game, and id don't care if you do. Imagine the additional QA involved in making sure nothing in the console crashes and lets you ram dump or millions of other things that could be used to crack a console.

The benefit to the consumer is slim, the work involved is huge.

I thought the texture variety was pretty amazing in the video, so much so that I didn't really pay attention to the textures at a stand still. Wait...I think that's what they want!

Uhm.
Sinatar said:
Wow... I hope Carmack releases that hi res asset pack he was talking about during his Quakecon keynote because that looks like utter balls.
Didn't he just say that he wanted to do one level where they used the full assets? It'd be 2GB rather than 500MB as the levels are now. Doing the whole game would balloon the install quite a bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty confident RAGE will be a pretty great game by its own merits, and I do think Carmack and co have, as usual, excelled in engine programming. Environment size and detail running at 60fps on consoles is something to be very proud of.

But, like others, there is a tinge of disappointment that the biggest technical accomplishments of RAGE exist almost exclusively within the console space, and that unlike past id games RAGE wont be pushing modern hardware to the limits. I think what really disappointments me most is that technological advancements like megatextures could have an impressive impact on PC, but in the case of RAGE have been deliberately held back as a consiquence of multi platform development.

In the long run I'm not too fussed though. Purported 'hardcore PC gamers' have a very nasty habit of rudely criticising any and every programming feat that doesn't involve pushing raw PC hardware to the breaking point, and I find that attitude particularly obnoxious and short sighted, not to mention ignorant of otherwise valid technical accomplishments that just happen to be on a different field.

Hopefully Doom 4 or whatever id brew up next digs a little deeper into what modern PC hardware is capable of. But until then, RAGE is a wonderful accomplishment in the console space, and hopefully a solid game to play.

StuBurns

Banned
Man said:
Wanted to add one bit.
They have competitive car-combat MP.
Yeah, quite right. It's the normal TDM stuff that I think is oddly absent. I still hope we see it down the line.
EatChildren said:
I think what really disappointments me most is that technological advancements like megatextures could have an impressive impact on PC, but in the case of RAGE have been deliberately held back as a consiquence of multi platform development.
I disagree the consoles are anything to do with the asset quality on PC, in fact the PS3 version could have had double the quality with almost no impact on the consumer. The game would literally be 100GB if they were as good as they could have been. Carmack specifically said he doesn't think people want 8 DVD SKUs.

Top Bottom