• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ending of Sonic Adventure has always bothered me.

Luigi87

Of course as I'm talking about the ending of this twelve year old game, there will be spoiling, but I need to know something.

At the end Tails literally says "All's well that ends well, right?" when standing amongst the ruins of Station Square. Buildings ravaged, streets flooded, people homeless, possessions lost, possibly dead... Yet Tails still says that line. That line which has constantly bugged the hell out of me.

So what I want to know is was it just something that came up in the English script, or was it always just SEGA being... Yeah...?

LiK

i don't remember much of the ending since i only played it once but that does sound fucked up.

maybe Tails was being sarcastic.

Mengetsu

I think it was just bad English translation. I don't think it would be appropriate line to say but, Sega of america didn't care at the time. It might be different in the Japanese version.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Matts Legacy said:
I think it was just bad English translation. I don't think it would be appropriate line to say but, Sega of america didn't care at the time. It might be different in the Japanese version.
What? Sega of America was the most competent branch of Sega during the Dreamcast era.

Youtube commenters agree with you.

Top Comments

"All's well that ends well! =D"

*City is still completely destroyed*
xXMeteorXx 7 months ago 17 thumbs up

WELP ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL RIGHT!

NO TAILS. NO IT ISN'T. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE HAVE JUST DROWNED. THE CITY IS DESTROYED. WHAT THE HECK YOU SADISTIC LITTLE PUNK
Shoobafart 1 year ago 16 thumbs up

vid

The part that gets me the most is still Sonic racing off into the sunset, as if to say "What, disaster clean up? NOT MY PROBLEM!"

Forkball

There should be a Sonic game where Tails seemingly dies in the beginning because of Sonic's incompetence. Then years later he comes back as a villain to get revenge because he blames Sonic for not saving him.

vid said:
The part that gets me the most is still Sonic racing off into the sunset, as if to say "What, disaster clean up? NOT MY PROBLEM!"
I agree, that's even weirder than what Tails says. Which I like to think may have been sarcasm or a bit of dark humor.

Sonic Adventure 2 bothers me far more.

Dr Ivo Robotnik, who has so far commited numerous attrocities against the planet, regularly invades territories with an advanced robot milita, deploys numerous destructive space stations, airships, and armies, has ravaged continents, invaded the "little planet", fucked up history through illegal time travel, unleashed Perfect Chaos who murdered the thousands of humans living in Station Square... And yet the governments of the world do not seem to consider his capture to be a priority or even an issue of concern.

Dr Gerald Robotnik, who attempted to save the entire fucking planet, was publically executed without trial by the United Nations, and during his capture his young daughter was murdered.

Luigi87

Neuromancer said:
I can't say I care for the anti-Tails sentiment in this thread.

If it is any consolation this is Modern Tails.
Classic Tails is as cute as a button.

... Yeah, that phrase doesn't make sense to me, buttons aren't cute... But Classic Tails is, so I guess that's good.

Bisnic said:
My god... those mouth animations. The voice acting. Everything.

Rushed Development + New Hardware + Voices/Animation being terrible in 1998 = That.

Still better than the pre-rendered stuff in Heroes.

I just try to forget that ending. I finished it on XBLA not too long ago and thought that the final boss battle negated the whole game.

vid

akilshohen said:
I just try to forget that ending. I finished it on XBLA not too long ago and thought that the final boss battle negated the whole game.

I love the battle with Perfect Chaos, it feels like a perfect way to top off the game. Unfortunately, you're forced to plow through the first portion of the battle before Open Your Heart can really kick into gear, and the second portion of the battle replaces it with a really generic "dramatic" track.

TreIII

Mama Robotnik said:

Dr Ivo Robotnik, who has so far commited numerous attrocities against the planet, regularly invades territories with an advanced robot milita, deploys numerous destructive space stations, airships, and armies, has ravaged continents, invaded the "little planet", fucked up history through illegal time travel, unleashed Perfect Chaos who murdered the thousands of humans living in Station Square... And yet the governments of the world do not seem to consider his capture to be a priority or even an issue of concern.

Dr Gerald Robotnik, who attempted to save the entire fucking planet, was publically executed without trial by the United Nations, and during his capture his young daughter was murdered.

The answer is clear. Even in spite of ol boy Ivo's multiple acts of terrorism, he's CLEARLY seen as trying to perform a public service by ridding the world of the FURRY MENACE. So he gets a pass. :lol

Mama Robotnik said:

Ivo created Metal Sonic.
Gerald created Shadow.

I think they made the right choice.

Tails' line about "Thank goodness Super Sonic was here to save us" (or something) always confused me more, because Sonic is standing like, right there.

As a kid I thought it alluded to Sonic/Super Sonic being a split personality but it never comes up in the later games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bisnic said:
My god... those mouth animations. The voice acting. Everything.
Tails's voice is awful. And every time I see those mouth animations, I always hear Ryan Davis's impressions of it (it was in a Game Room quick look and I'm too lazy to find it).

BigJiantRobut said:
And this is why nobody in fucking sonic should talk

ever
Eh. Robotnik/Eggman isn't too bad. Sonic Colours is a good example.

Kujo

People made it to the end of this terrible game?

Generations will retcon it to be an alternate universe or something I hope

Shizzlee

GavinGT said:
I drown Tails every chance I get.

izc64x.gif

LiK

Mojo said:

you bet your ass we did!

only the hub world really sucked, the rest wasn't too bad.

Mojo said:

Terrible game? It had a lot of legitimately great levels.

It was also glitchy as hell and had some legitimately painful (Big the Cat) levels. The cutscenes were about videogame-par in 1999, which is to say hilariously terrible.

It's still the best 3D Sonic game, although that in itself is not a very impressive contest. So instead I'll say that I think it's a good game, unlike every other 3D Sonic game.

Top Bottom