• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ending of Sonic Adventure has always bothered me.

Kujo

Elfforkusu said:
It's still the best 3D Sonic game
I'd say Colors is better and daytime Unleashed

SA was okay in 1999, but soo bad in 2011. SA2 was decent but had so much non-Sonic garbage

Mojo said:
I'd say Colors is better and daytime Unleashed

SA was okay in 1999, but soo bad in 2011. SA2 was decent but had so much non-Sonic garbage
I don't know that I agree with this. Are you playing SADX? Because a terrible port really makes a game look worse than it was.

Also I'd say no, Colors and Unleashed are worse. It's all about "speed" at this point. Those games are just slightly interactive roller coasters.

At least Sonic Adventure had some clever levels (Sky Deck and Red Mountain, for example)

IrishNinja

...the game had an ending? i always got to that part with Big the robot where you go into some small ship and i couldnt figure out what to do next, so i assumed it was like E.T. and they just stopped making the game there.

Forkball said:
There should be a Sonic game where Tails seemingly dies in the beginning because of Sonic's incompetence. Then years later he comes back as a villain to get revenge because he blames Sonic for not saving him.
This, but Tails just stays dead and Sonic drinks himself to death while wallowing in regret.

SykoTech

There's plenty of things that bothered me more about this messy game. Like how, despite a few fun levels, it's responsible for nearly every terrible trend in Sonic games and led to him becoming a laughing stock to begin with.

...but, yeah. I guess the ending is pretty silly too.

WillyFive

qq more said:
The story in Adventure 2 was worse. :|

It was definitely less generic.

As much hate Sonic games get for trying to have a story, Sonic Adventure 2 felt like something actually happened to the status quo, instead of just your average Sonic quest.

TimmiT

Elfforkusu said:
Also I'd say no, Colors and Unleashed are worse. It's all about "speed" at this point. Those games are just slightly interactive roller coasters.
Did you play Colors? While the 3D parts were all about speed, the 2D parts were mostly platforming with alternate paths.

Willy105 said:
It was definitely less generic.

As much hate Sonic games get for trying to have a story, Sonic Adventure 2 felt like something actually happened to the status quo, instead of just your average Sonic quest.
sa2 had a "story" which I didn't expect which was rather good imo.

qq more

TimmiT said:
Did you play Colors? While the 3D parts were all about speed, the 2D parts were mostly platforming with alternate paths.
And not to mention that the 3D sections were kind of rare too.

(I need to finish that game lol)

The final Tails level is creepier. You're racing Robotnik to a missile that's he's trying to detonate in the middle of Station Square, and occasionally he'll say the line "I'm going to take the whole city with me". That's fucking dark...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn I just clicked on Sonic Adventure at Wikipedia and read the plot summary for this insane game:

Centuries ago, the planet was bestowed the seven Chaos Emeralds. These mystical gems were infused with ancient unlimited power, and consequently it did not take long before wars erupted over who would control them. Amongst the seven Chaos Emeralds was the Master Emerald, the controller of the seven Chaos Emeralds with the power to either amplify or negate the power within them. Whilst the seven Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald rested peacefully, a Chao inhabiting the land nearby the Shrine of the Emeralds accidentally made contact with the holy water surrounding it. The water transcended the Chao into a peaceful creature known as Chaos, who with the ability to control water henceforth became the guardian of the Shrine. Some time after, a tribe of Echidnas, led by Pachacamac, angered Chaos by attempting to steal the Chaos Emeralds, ruining the sanctuary it was protecting and destroying the many Chao living there. Chaos, in his fury, summoned the negative powers of the seven Chaos Emeralds to transform into Perfect Chaos and proceeded to slaughter the Echidna race. Pachacamac's daughter, Tikal, had pleaded with Pachacamac not to disturb the Shrine of the Emeralds but her efforts were futile. After Perfect Chaos left the shrine to enact revenge on the entire world, Tikal prayed to the Master Emerald to seal her and Chaos within in.
In the present day, Dr. Eggman learns of the legend surrounding Chaos through a mural in the lost world. Believing it to be true, he creates his flying fortress, the Egg Carrier, seeks out the Master Emerald and shatters it, freeing Chaos in the process while interrupting Knuckles's job of protecting it and forcing him to collect the shattered pieces. Eggman's goal was to control Chaos, and use its destructive powers to collect the Chaos Emeralds and conquer the entire world, turning it into Robotnikland. To help him, he has created the E-Series robots, a group of powerful robots powered by animals placed inside them and programmed to obey him. Soon after, Chaos makes his way into the Mystic Ruins where Big is sleeping. Big's friend, Froggy, ends up swallowing Big's lucky charm, the yellow Chaos Emerald, and bitting off Chaos's tail which causes him to grow his own tail. Big then begins chasing down Froggy. As Sonic returns from an adventure, he sees the police trying to attack Chaos who has arrived into Station Square. He fights and defeats him, but Chaos escapes. Later at night, Eggman creates E-102 Gamma, the second of his E-100 robots. Eggman tests Gamma's skills by having him do target practice and battling E-101 Beta in order to join the team of the Egg Carrier. The next morning, Tails is out testing a new prototype plane but malfunctions and crashes. Sonic rescues him, and Tails shows him a Chaos Emerald he found which gets stolen after a battle with Dr. Eggman upon arriving at the Mystic Ruins. Amy's story begins in mid-story of all the characters. Remembering old times with Sonic, the Egg Carrier flies over Station Square, and a bird smacks into Amy. As soon as the bird drops, a robot named ZERO chases Amy. After they learn of Eggman's plans, Sonic and his friends spring in to action to stop Eggman and they all start their own separate, but intertwined, journeys for the Chaos Emeralds.
Sonic has defeated Eggman and Chaos, Tails has stopped Eggman from bombing Station Square with a missile, Knuckles has restored the Master Emerald, Amy has rescued a small bird and his family from the clutches of Eggman and his robotic minion Zero, Big has rescued his best friend Froggy, and Gamma has rescued his robotic brothers from Eggman's clutches, destroyed by a last resort point blank blast from his elder "brother" E-101 Beta MK-II and releasing the bird during the process.
However, shortly afterward, Angel Island falls once again, and Eggman is attacked by a surviving Chaos. Meanwhile, noticing that Angel Island has fallen once again, Knuckles decides to go to Sonic with the Chaos Emeralds for advice, when suddenly he finds Eggman on the island, bitter and defeated. Knuckles asks him what happened, to which Eggman responds "This is terrible! C-Chaos is...", before being attacked once more alongside Knuckles by Chaos, who steals the latter's six Chaos Emeralds.
Elsewhere, Sonic and Tails take notice that Angel Island has fallen once again, and hurry to the scene, where they find Eggman and Knuckles lying on the ground. Knuckles then reveals to Sonic and Tails that Chaos stole and absorbed the six Chaos Emeralds he was in possession of. Eggman flies off in a hurry, going to his secret hangar to use the Egg Carrier 2. Sonic and Tails then decide that they must retrieve the final Emerald before Chaos, when suddenly, Sonic is teleported to the past where he witnesses former echidna chief Pachacamac and his warriors attacking the Master Emerald shrine, with the chief's daughter Tikal pleading to them not to attack the shrine before they are all killed by Chaos, who absorbs the seven Emeralds and attempts to destroy the world. Sonic then returns to Angel Island, where he and Tails return to Tails's plane the Tornado 2, which uses the seventh emerald as a power source. However, they arrive too late and Chaos retrieves the seventh Emerald before they do.
Meanwhile, in Station Square, Chaos transforms into his final form, Perfect Chaos, and floods the entire city. Sonic arrives, where he witnesses Eggman trying to attack Chaos in the Egg Carrier 2. However, Chaos immediately destroys it. Tikal then appears, explaining that Chaos's heart is filled with anger and sadness and the negative energy of the Chaos Emeralds flows through him. Chaos drains the Emeralds' power completely, leaving all power of the Emeralds useless. Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Big arrive with all 7 Emeralds and their collective positive energies along with Sonic's good heart enables him to re-ignite the Emeralds' positive powers. Sonic transforms into Super Sonic and neutralizes Perfect Chaos. Chaos is not destroyed completely, but his heart is filled with joy, happiness and forgiveness. Tikal takes Chaos back with her, but leaves the Chao to live peacefully with humans. Sonic runs off into Station Square and Angel Island is put back to its original state high in the heavens.

HOLY SHIT.

Adam Prime said:
Damn I just clicked on Sonic Adventure at Wikipedia and read the plot summary for this insane game:

HOLY SHIT.

Somehow, 'Sonic must save the world from an evil scientist who is turning all of Sonic's friends into mindless robot slaves' just has a much nicer ring to it.

I remember back in the day, being impressed with how the Sonic storyline was efficiently told. When I played Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit), the progression through the zones was show in a map, the further up you travelled the more you'd see Doctor Robotnik's assimilation of the island.

Finding all of the Chaos Emeralds led to an awesome ending. After chasing Robotnik out of his own industrial complex and infiltrating his escaping airship, the emeralds soared into the sky and spun around the island, purifying it of all of Robotnik's influence. It was spectacular and rewarding.

I used to think that Sonic Team were so clever, telling a story entirely within the confines of the game and limited hardware. It had a quiet, subtle beauty to it.

I'm glad that I didn't know the ghastly truth - that Sonic Team wanted voice acting, bats with tits, clones, beatiality, mass murder, humans wandering around crudely, aliens, guns, stealing cars, evil playable characters, executed children. Presidents being held to ransom, playable giant cats looking for frogs, werehogs, talking swords, magic carpets, all in a never ending barage of unskippable, unwatchable cutscenes supported with the worst writing, voice acting and directing that the medium has to offer.

They just couldn't do it because of the limited hardware of the era, and thus we got the beautiful efficient stories of Sonic, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and Sonic CD.

Sonic's a bit like Metroid Other M in that regard. We look at Super Metroid and see what a brilliant, efficient story it is. We then play Other M and realise that this madman would have given us if the hardware had let him.

In conclusion, Sonic should have been killed the day after Sonic 3 and Knuckles released, cementing his place in gaming history as an icon that died upon reaching Nirvana.

Oh, and don't play Other M.

qq more

Mama Robotnik said:
In conclusion, Sonic should have been killed the day after Sonic 3 and Knuckles released, cementing his place in gaming history as an icon that died upon reaching Nirvana.
If that happened, then we wouldn't get Sonic Colors.

*looks at the all of the horrible games*

...It was almost worth it :(

*sees Sonic 06*

..or not. Fuck!

Mama Robotnik said:

Well you know...he kinda was.

Sonic 3 was supposed to be the last Sonic Team-developed Sonic game. Before it came out, they referred to it as the 'final part of the trilogy'. Sonic RPG for Saturn(later known as Sonic Adventure for the DC) was quickly green-lit after the 32X and Saturn flopped and Sega realized, "oops, maybe killing off the main reason for our success so soon probably wasn't the best idea in the world, after all."

And so, zombie Sonic was thrust upon the world for all to enjoy.

OMG Aero

Adam Prime said:

HOLY SHIT.
Say what you will about the Sonic Adventure plot, but the Gamma storyline was pretty well done and it's probably the best Sonic character they have created since the Mega Drive games.
It also helps that they knew where to stop with Gamma unlike a certain black hedgehog.

Seik

Banned
BertramCooper said:
thatsracist.gif
91r8Z.jpg

SonicMegaDrive said:
Well you know...he kinda was.

Sonic 3 was supposed to be the last Sonic Team-developed Sonic game. Before it came out, they referred to it as the 'final part of the trilogy'. Sonic RPG for Saturn(later known as Sonic Adventure for the DC) was quickly green-lit after the 32X and Saturn flopped and Sega realized, "oops, maybe killing off the main reason for our success so soon probably wasn't the best idea in the world, after all."

And so, zombie Sonic was thrust upon the world for all to enjoy.

I wasn't aware of "Sonic RPG", is there any media for it?

And zombie Sonic is a good way of describing the hedgehog's current existence, a shambling monstrousity of a creature spreading mediocrity throughout games and genres like a disease.

Imagine if Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the last Sonic game, what a parallel universe that must be! Every E3, we'd be demanding a new Sonic from SEGA, as the character appeared in such a limited yet perfect range of games his reputation would be godly.

Every E3 we'd beg and every E3 Sega would decline. And in that parallel universe, they have absolutely no idea how god damn lucky they are.

Sciz

Mama Robotnik said:
I wasn't aware of "Sonic RPG", is there any media for it?
They didn't get far. What work was done got recycled into Sonic World for Sonic Jam. Beyond that, the only traces of the game's Saturn origins are a few early Sky Chase screenshots that still use the Saturn models for Sonic and Tails.

"Sonic RPG" was Iizuka's idea, incidentally.

Sciz said:
They didn't get far. What work was done got recycled into Sonic World for Sonic Jam. Beyond that, the only traces of the game's Saturn origins are a few early Sky Chase screenshots that still use the Saturn models for Sonic and Tails.

"Sonic RPG" was Iizuka's idea, incidentally.
Really? if that's the case, they're still present in the Dreamcast final as evidenced here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdpSq0xIjQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=214s

I'd always wondered why suddenly they switched to those low-poly models with different designs.

Murrah

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
You know, I probably spent most of my time in that game messing around with that mannequin in front of the restaurant.

I called him Mr. Burger and we went on adventures in the sewer

Lionel Mandrake said:
You know, I probably spent most of my time in that game messing around with that mannequin in front of the restaurant.
Without mr Burgerman we would have not found half the bugs in sonic adventure

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Mama Robotnik said:
I'm glad that I didn't know the ghastly truth - that Sonic Team wanted voice acting, bats with tits, clones, beatiality, mass murder, humans wandering around crudely, aliens, guns, stealing cars, evil playable characters, executed children. Presidents being held to ransom, playable giant cats looking for frogs, werehogs, talking swords, magic carpets, all in a never ending barage of unskippable, unwatchable cutscenes supported with the worst writing, voice acting and directing that the medium has to offer.
bVR9k.jpg

Mama Robotnik said:
I remember back in the day, being impressed with how the Sonic storyline was efficiently told. When I played Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit), the progression through the zones was show in a map, the further up you travelled the more you'd see Doctor Robotnik's assimilation of the island.

Finding all of the Chaos Emeralds led to an awesome ending. After chasing Robotnik out of his own industrial complex and infiltrating his escaping airship, the emeralds soared into the sky and spun around the island, purifying it of all of Robotnik's influence. It was spectacular and rewarding.

I used to think that Sonic Team were so clever, telling a story entirely within the confines of the game and limited hardware. It had a quiet, subtle beauty to it.

They just couldn't do it because of the limited hardware of the era, and thus we got the beautiful efficient stories of Sonic, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and Sonic CD.

Sonic's a bit like Metroid Other M in that regard. We look at Super Metroid and see what a brilliant, efficient story it is. We then play Other M and realise that this madman would have given us if the hardware had let him.

Oh, and don't play Other M.

I feel torn because despite the awful story, Sonic Adventure was only a few steps away from being realizing the perfect 3D Sonic formula. It's so obvious and yet they continue to move further and further away from it that it is extremely tragic.

RedSwirl

Rewrite said:
IMO, Sonic Adventure still has the best 3D Sonic levels.

You guys at least have to admit this much.

Also, for the plot, I actually appreciate how the game handled each of the six characters getting a small piece of the Tikal backstory, and how you had to play them all to get the whole meaning.

RedSwirl said:
You guys at least have to admit this much.

Also, for the plot, I actually appreciate how the game handled each of the six characters getting a small piece of the Tikal backstory, and how you had to play them all to get the whole meaning.

Absolutely. The game needed more polish to be sure. Had they stuck to the groundwork Sonic Adventure laid out and incorporated more Sonic 3&Knuckles elements, they would have put Sonic in a fully realized 3D game.

Top Bottom