• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ending of Sonic Adventure has always bothered me.

RedSwirl said:
Also, for the plot, I actually appreciate how the game handled each of the six characters getting a small piece of the Tikal backstory, and how you had to play them all to get the whole meaning.

You have a point there. It was kind of interesting seeing the story from so many POVs.

All-and-all Sonic Adventure isn't a bad game. At the time, it was even amazing. It's just that it marked the turning point in Sonic's direction that would ultimately destroy the franchise. If you just imagine that the series ended with Sonic Adventure, it probably wouldn't get the hate that it does.

vid

Mortrialus said:
Yeah but there was a lot of good original stuff as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxWHLg12Cyw

Oh, I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down on the Sonic Adventure soundtrack. With the exception of the previously mentioned "generic dramatic music" that plays during the second phase of Perfect Chaos, I enjoy pretty much every track in the game.

I have pipe dreams of a Sonic the Hedgehog pack for Rock Band, featuring some of the great vocal tracks from the series. It'll never happen, but I can dream.

Angry Fork

Sonic Adventure was awesome, even though the controls and some of the levels don't hold up to today's standard. The level of speed and feeling and a few of the levels are still amazing to this day imo. The music is great as well Sonic Team never lost that though they always make great music.

I wish they can make another game like SA but just with Sonic and Tails, that's it. No extra fluff characters, no ridiculous over the top story. Just make it about Robotnik trying to destroy cities 1 by 1 and you have to stop him that's it. Make the levels designed around Sonic's speed and have lots of twists and turns with some platforming inbetween. It's not that hard I don't get why Sonic Team kept fucking it up for so long. I heard Sonic Colors was good though I haven't played it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it's Sega being stupid. That's when the downfall commenced.

cjelly said:
Man, I can't wait for the Generations version of Speed Highway. Uhhgngnng

Lionel Mandrake said:
You have a point there. It was kind of interesting seeing the story from so many POVs.

All-and-all Sonic Adventure isn't a bad game. At the time, it was even amazing. It's just that it marked the turning point in Sonic's direction that would ultimately destroy the franchise. If you just imagine that the series ended with Sonic Adventure, it probably wouldn't get the hate that it does.
Yeah I recall as a kid feeling the multiple POV thing was the most clever thing ever. I remember thinking it was as if I had bought 6 games in one.

I grew up playing the classics and cherish my childhood memories of 1,2,S&K and SA1. But around SA2 things just took a different direction of being less fun, which is where I lost the most interest with the franchise. It's good to see this concept of fun games returning recently. I'm dreaming of a future with classic and modern sonic games side by side...

Lo_Fi

See, your problem is that you started putting thought into a Sonic game's storyline. That's your first problem right there.

FreeMufasa

Sonic Adventure 1 blew me away when I first played it. It was my first game with CG and full voice work (Japanese too) so I was amazed. I still think it's great.

I think most Sonic games are great

The whole game bothered me. SA2 started out better but also turned to shit, Sonic Team never did get the hang of those 3D camera angles.

Nix

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Sonic Adventure was awesome, even though the controls and some of the levels don't hold up to today's standard. The level of speed and feeling and a few of the levels are still amazing to this day imo. The music is great as well Sonic Team never lost that though they always make great music.

I wish they can make another game like SA but just with Sonic and Tails, that's it. No extra fluff characters, no ridiculous over the top story. Just make it about Robotnik trying to destroy cities 1 by 1 and you have to stop him that's it. Make the levels designed around Sonic's speed and have lots of twists and turns with some platforming inbetween. It's not that hard I don't get why Sonic Team kept fucking it up for so long. I heard Sonic Colors was good though I haven't played it.

Basically what every Sonic fan has wished for these past horrifying years: A sequel to Sonic 3 that isn't Sonic 4. Tails Multiplayer was great, the story was simple yet refreshing, and goddamn did it feel good playing as Sonic. The best part was that it wasn't all about "Hahaha, go faster and zoom through the level, oops pit fall" but actually using your head while going as fast as you 'could'.

Well, Generation seems to be going down that track, but Sonic Adventure 1 wasn't that bad. Hell I even liked the first few Sonic levels of Sonic Adventure 2. It's just the direction it propelled the series; so bad, so very, very, bad. It should have stayed in this order for playable characters: Sonic-Tails, and possibly Knuckles as a secret character or something.

ArjanN

AbsoluteZero said:
That kind of happens at the end of most disaster movies. See: Deep Impact, Armageddon, Godzilla Franchise

At least in disaster movies like Deep Impact and Armageddon it kinda, sorta makes sense since at first they thought the entire human race was going to die.

But a lot of other horror/thriller movies also force a happy ending that way.
Well, I guess the axemurderer is dead, I guess everything is OK now, *insert quip and freeze frame* Oh wait, I saw half my friends and family get violently murdered.

Top Bottom