• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FarSight Studios announces The Pinball Arcade (for pretty much every platform)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
http://www.pinballarcade.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pinball-Arcade/255539697800431

Platforms are PSN, XBLA, PC, iOS, Mac, Android, PSVITA, and 3DS.

The first four tables will be Tales of the Arabian Nights™, Ripley's Believe It or Not™, Theatre of Magic™, and Black Hole™.

Each month we will be updating the game by releasing two tables as DLC and adding new features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play.

With many of the all-time greatest tables from Williams®, Bally™, Stern Pinball™, and Gottlieb™; The Pinball Arcade™ is set to become the most realistic and comprehensive pinball game ever created!!!

This is absolutely the best news ever. It looks like they're going to be pursuing as many licenses as they possibly can. TWILIGHT ZONE AND ADDAMS FAMILY, PLEASE.

Also, for those unfamiliar, these are the same guys who made the Pinball Hall of Fame series, which are pretty much the best pinball sims ever released.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I pretty much only use my xbox360 to play Pinball FX2 and Pinball Hall of Fame so this news just made me jump up in the air with absolute joy!

Agent X

Mpl90 said:
Lol at no Wii mention.

It seems like it will rely heavily on the availability of downloadable tables (kind of like Zen Studios' pinball games). The limitations of the Wii and its online service might be a factor here.

It'll probably eventually be made for the Wii U, though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Mpl90 said:
Lol at no Wii mention.

They're releasing two new DLC tables per month for, according to the trailer, "years to come". I think the Wii's file size restrictions and limited internal memory sorta make a game like this impossible on the system.

I know I already posted about this but it just got me thinking.. I always complain about this generation being the worst ever because I don't like the majority of the AAA games that get the most press (add to that online unlock codes and DLC that used to be part of games)... but at the same time the download services have allowed an astonishing number of niche games that I love to be quietly released at cheap prices.
I guess I'm starting to see the positives of this generation. :)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Seraphis Cain said:
They're releasing two new DLC tables per month for, according to the trailer, "years to come". I think the Wii's file size restrictions and limited internal memory sorta make a game like this impossible on the system.
It's a 2012 title so most likely they decided to skip Wii simply because it'll be a dead system with Wii-U about the be released. They skipped PSP too.

I do hope this comes out for Wii-U eventually. The controller screen could be used to display the backboard and LED display in order to keep the TV screen uncluttered.

VideoMan said:
I do hope this comes out for Wii-U eventually. The controller screen could be used to display the backboard and LED display in order to keep the TV screen uncluttered.

That is a very nice idea!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Cirqus Voltaire confirmed via the Facebook page to be among the first 10 DLC tables.

yTdJS.jpg

added_time said:
. . . but at the same time the download services have allowed an astonishing number of niche games that I love to be quietly released at cheap prices.
I guess I'm starting to see the positives of this generation. :)
You seem to be coming around to this whole DD thing a bit late considering your love for Pinball FX2. DD is going to be the enthusiast gamer's best friend but only if only they'd let it be so.

I want to kick off my table begging by starting with Bally's Centaur.

MightyHedgehog said:
You seem to be coming around to this whole DD thing a bit late considering your love for Pinball FX2.

I've always loved the DD thing but I'm just now realizing it is MORE important than my lack of enthusiasm for the AAA retail games. Before I would think "what a lousy generation except for the smaller downloadable games" but now I'm thinking "what a great generation because of the small downloadable games!"

It's a small difference in wording but a big difference in my perception overall of the last few years of gaming.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just thinking about it...if they kept the DLC going at the planned rate for a minimum of two years, we'd have 52 tables total. That's...a whole goddamn lot of pinball. Wow.

added_time said:
I've always loved the DD thing but I'm just now realizing it is MORE important than my lack of enthusiasm for the AAA retail games. Before I would think "what a lousy generation except for the smaller downloadable games" but now I'm thinking "what a great generation because of the small downloadable games!"

It's a small difference in wording but a big difference in my perception overall of the last few years of gaming.
Yeah, I clicked with it a couple of years ago and, now, XBLA is pretty much my favorite and most used platform this gen. I'm just freaking excited that this is exactly what I wanted out of Farsight.

I'm calling it now. This will be the best video pinball game ever.

They've got all the biggest manufacturers on board. No Sega, but I can deal. They're doing tables as DLC like FX2 does, which is absolutely the right way to do it. With the Ripley's table, that's already one table based on a third party license, which is a good sign we might see some of the other licensed tables. This will have Pinball Hall of Fame's godlike physics that put every Zen Studio title to shame.

Dis gon be good.

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm just freaking excited that this is exactly what I wanted out of Farsight.

It's pretty exciting. The other interesting thing is that Zen Studios have stated in interviews they will start adding classic tables to Pinball FX as well. If that holds true, then the competition will really heat up between the games and should only bring great benefits to the players since neither company will be able to rest on bringing improvements!

Parallax Scroll said:
No Sega, but I can deal.
Stern has those, I believe. So, really, most if not all of the best tables of all time are possible. I hope that this opens the door to veteran pin designers getting a shot at creating original tables just for this.

added_time said:
The other interesting thing is that Zen Studios have stated in interviews they will start adding classic tables to Pinball FX as well. If that holds true, then the competition will really heat up between the games and should only bring great benefits to the players since neither company will be able to rest on bringing improvements!
Yeah, but without the Farsight's successful massaging of feel and settings that elevates the PHoF Williams feel so very close to the real thing, it will be up in the air whether Zen can get their clearly capable software to feel more real. I am excited at the prospect of competition, but I hope that it doesn't lead to hard exclusives between the two pinball platforms.

This has been a pretty good week for pinball with this announcement, the new Marvel tables, and Create Studio's announcing their game Pinballistik.

rpmurphy said:
Awesome, but I would also like to have a pinball game that has tables made by Stern in the last several years.

They have the Stern license for this game so it seems like it probably will have some of those tables ?? Unless the licenses are too tough to grab...

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This has been a pretty good week for pinball with this announcement, the new Marvel tables, and Create Studio's announcing their game Pinballistik.

That's for sure! Not to mention that Zen announced the free download of the Paranormal table for Pinball FX2 as well!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
added_time said:
They have the Stern license for this game so it seems like it probably will have some of those tables ?? Unless the licenses are too tough to grab...

I'd imagine licenses like Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and Indiana Jones would be a no-go.

Seraphis Cain said:
I'd imagine licenses like Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and Indiana Jones would be a no-go.

I wish they had the foresight to license those for pinball / video game pinball but I'm guessing you are probably right that they didn't do that.

The #1 table on my personal wish list is Red & Ted's Road Show, and even that might be hard to license because it had some country singer in it. But hey, fingers crossed that they can license some good ones.

q5imJ.jpg

rpmurphy

added_time said:
I wish they had the foresight to license those for pinball / video game pinball but I'm guessing you are probably right that they didn't do that.
Yeah, Family Guy is the one from recent that I really really want if they could just manage to get some of those licenses.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Theatre of Magic? Sold! Loved those trap doors and other gimmicks they had.

Maybe they can somehow get Attack from Mars as well. That would be nice.

FoneBone

That they're actually securing licensed tables is awesome, but yeah, the viability of that is probably going to vary tremendously from license to license.

M3d10n

Know what would be awesome? If they added dual monitor support to the PC version: use one monitor for the backboard/led and another for the table (in TATE mode). With some engineering one could setup it as an actual pinball table!

theviolenthero said:
Always wondered what happened to this company.
Best news of the year for me IF the prices are reasonable.

Hopefully they will follow the Pinball FX pricing model which is just about perfect for value in my eyes.

Actually, I could see them even having to compete in the pricing department a little bit. Which wouldn't be too bad.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Seraphis Cain said:
Cirqus Voltaire confirmed via the Facebook page to be among the first 10 DLC tables.

Stranger. STRANGER. Now that's a DLC.

Scared Stiff and Centaur would rock my world.

Shearie

This is awesome. Never played any of the previous FarSight pinball games. If they're all the same price, I would like to get the PSN version but if the iOS version is substantially cheaper as it usually tends to be, then I'll get the iPad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom