• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FarSight Studios announces The Pinball Arcade (for pretty much every platform)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2&2 said:
Refresh my memory: is Williams HoF 60 fps?

Wonder if they'll re-release any of these HoF tables (for cheap). Need Funhouse in this collection.
60fps on X360, PS3, and Wii. And, just from the starting pack of four including Arabian Nights, I'd say yeah, but probably not cheap. Wish they'd announce dates and pricing to get an idea of what to expect. Hopefully, they have further optimized the software to allows for faster speed simulation for those more complicated tables. There's a decent difference in speed when switching from something older, like Gorgar or Space Shuttle, and more modern pins, like Tales of the Arabian Nights and Medieval Madness.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I hope they remember to put in all the camera angles this time. The new tables for the HD versions of PHOF Williams didn't have an option to set the camera in close, I have no clue what's going on in the far playfield of some of those.

Also, elements on the table moving correctly would be nice. It's kinda jarring on, say, No Good Gofers where every moving part just teleports instantly from one position to another.

Shig said:
Also, elements on the table moving correctly would be nice. It's kinda jarring on, say, No Good Gofers where every moving part just teleports instantly from one position to another.
Yeah, that was a little weird.

Not necessarily related to this game, but a pretty good documentary from a year or so back was put onto Netflix streaming, Special When Lit. Some lulls here and there, but worth a watch if you want to know a bit more about the current pinball scene and the classic pinball days.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The official Facebook page of the game confirms this will launch as a downloadable game also on 3DS.

Matt_C

Mpl90 said:
The official Facebook page of the game confirms this will launch as a downloadable game also on 3DS.
If that is the case, shouldn't they impliment an upside down mode so the table itself is in 3D?

Ronabo

Just found out about this. And holy fuck! I'm excited!

Would love to see the two Elvira tables and the two Highspeeds and Bride of Pinbot.

Not exactly like the real thing to be fair, yet having the possibility to play all those great tables that bring back so many good memories is a wet dream to me, you can count me in.

Other nice DLC off the top of my heas I would like to see added in the future, aside from those already mentioned, Star trek, Doctor Who, Indiana Jones, Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I just remembered playing Pinbot for NES as a little kid. I loved it but I bet if I played it now it would be terrible!

On topic, I hope this doesn't get delayed at all. Farsight are the kings of announcing release dates and then missing it by months / years.

NZNova

Looks great, I'll be all over it. However, I'd like to see some original tables as well if possible. The thing I've never understood about pinball on a computer is why only simulate real tables? Why not do tables that you could never do in real life? Gravity inversion, teleporting pinball, all sorts of other crazy shit could happen on a computer pinball table that you just couldn't do IRL. I'd like computer based pinball to have both if possible, that would be nice.

NZNova said:
Looks great, I'll be all over it. However, I'd like to see some original tables as well if possible. The thing I've never understood about pinball on a computer is why only simulate real tables? Why not do tables that you could never do in real life? Gravity inversion, teleporting pinball, all sorts of other crazy shit could happen on a computer pinball table that you just couldn't do IRL. I'd like computer based pinball to have both if possible, that would be nice.

Then I suggest playing Pinball FX for the original tables and this game for the remakes! I think most people are thinking of it that way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
NZNova said:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I personally cannot stand playing made-up tables. It's hard to explain. I guess it's because I grew up playing real pinball, so the idea of crazy, physics-defying video pinball doesn't appeal to me.

Either way, Zen Pinball and Pinball FX2 exist for that, and they do the job quite well. Leave Pinball Arcade for the pinball purists like me. :p

low-G

riskVSreward said:
Serious question: what makes a pinball game good (or bad)?

For me it's the sounds, it's how the ball moves around the table, it's the art, it's the extra features. These things are true for both real life & virtual tables for me.

Pinball has gameplay, and you kind of have to have played some tables and had fun and boring experiences with pinball to 'get it'.

Seraphis Cain said:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I personally cannot stand playing made-up tables. It's hard to explain. I guess it's because I grew up playing real pinball, so the idea of crazy, physics-defying video pinball doesn't appeal to me.

Either way, Zen Pinball and Pinball FX2 exist for that, and they do the job quite well. Leave Pinball Arcade for the pinball purists like me. :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
According to a post on TPA's Facebook page by the devs, they're targeting a January release for the PS3, XBLA, iOS, and Android versions, with the other versions coming at a later date. They're also going to be implementing online tournaments within the first few months after release.

Seraphis Cain said:
According to a post on TPA's Facebook page by the devs, they're targeting a January release for the PS3, XBLA, iOS, and Android versions, with the other versions coming at a later date. They're also going to be implementing online tournaments within the first few months after release.

I want to believe January... I really do.

...but their past record of missing release dates by many months doesn't fill me with confidence.

(please prove me wrong, Farsight!!)

thejake01

Neo Member
This is going to be fantastic. I am still playing Williams PHOF on 360. It's not the same as the real thing, but it's definitely not junk either.

If nothing else the best takeaway in my opinion is thoroughly learning the rules for all machines presented in these games, makes playing the real ones that much sweeter.

I really hope they can keep up with the amount of tables they're speculating and interest doesn't fizzle. My best guess is that it will pick up though once it's available for download and not a hard to find disc. If Zen took off, this should easily surpass it.

-Jake

jgkspsx

I will buy this on every platform.

I'm a little scared that the 3DS version of Williams Collection was allegedly unplayably dark, though. I ended up not buying it because of those reports. Chances of getting an updated version seem slim to none, though.

It sure would be nice if 3DS games were patchable :(

Wonko_C

I've never been a high-scoring pinball player because I tend to just play for a few minutes at a time before moving onto something else, but if I ever got a remake of this table http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtCRoLZiOz4 (yes it's not based on a real one as far as I know) I would be all over it. That was the only table where I put real time and got huge scores, perhaps a pretty simple table but the sound effects and music played a big part on me getting hooked to it.

acm2000

Some video footage of the tables: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQa-ONdz9I

I think the ball doesn't look very good. It looks like it's just floating around.

Also the looping sound effect in the last table already annoyed me. I can't see myself playing it too long with sound effects on.

ball physics look spot on, just the shader on the ball is pants :p

these are licensed tables remember, they cant edit the sound/music, those too young to have ever played a real pinball table, might find it odd tho

Isomac

ball physics look spot on, just the shader on the ball is pants :p

these are licensed tables remember, they cant edit the sound/music, those too young to have ever played a real pinball table, might find it odd tho

Yeah that's probably just it. Oh and I think the ball doesn't have shadow either. Kinda hard to say when the video is so low quality.

Anyway this is a must buy for me. I'll probably get all the dlc tables too if priced fairly.

wsippel

Banned

I'm a little scared that the 3DS version of Williams Collection was allegedly unplayably dark, though. I ended up not buying it because of those reports. Chances of getting an updated version seem slim to none, though.

They will be. Soon. Supposedly.

I was just thinking the other day how I really needed a good Pinball game on PC and found out that Zen Studios is planning a Pinball FX2 release on Steam. Pinball Arcade would be much better though! I have the Williams collection on PS3 and love it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
YES YES YES!

I want Circus Voltaire and Indiana Jones.

Cirqus Voltaire confirmed via the Facebook page to be among the first 10 DLC tables.

:D

I also want High Speed 2: The Getaway and Jackbot. Jackbot is amazing.

Wonko_C

I was just thinking the other day how I really needed a good Pinball game on PC and found out that Zen Studios is planning a Pinball FX2 release on Steam. Pinball Arcade would be much better though! I have the Williams collection on PS3 and love it.

There's a Windows logo on their page, so pretty safe bet it's coming to PC also. :)

Some video footage of the tables: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQa-ONdz9I

I think the ball doesn't look very good. It looks like it's just floating around.

Also the looping sound effect in the last table already annoyed me. I can't see myself playing it too long with sound effects on.

Looks perfect in every way, except for the ball texture/lack of reflections. Physics look rock solid.

Can't wait to get my hands on this. Here's hoping that the 3DS gets a good version! (that's the one I want the most)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Would Vita use touch screen for controls? I think I'd love to have pinball on the move.

How much is the Addam's family license going for these days? Greatest pinball machine ever made

Upon watching this video, I have eventually come to realise no current home video-games actually can give me that sense of amazement that back in the day I had each time I happened to bump into some shiny pinball tables, or when I entered an arcade for that matter, I suppose some old arcade games such as Ghosts'n goblins, Dragon's lair or Astron belt had that same jawdropping effect on me.

Maybe it's just I'm growing old, and it's pretty much nostalgia talking here, but all those lights and sounds brought me in a dreamlike dimension, playing Addams' family, Star Trek next generation or Indiana Jones
gave me a sense of thrill I still can find in an arcade, but sadly home console market has almost killed for some time now good old arcades...

Araxen

Banned
The best table ever created is finally being released...Theatre of Magic! Must buy for me on multiple systems. Here's to hoping ST:TNG gets a release!

Brashnir

Awesome. I still play the Williams collection fairly regularly. It's too bad that two of the tables they're launching with were already in that one and the Gottlieb collection, but Theater of magic is an awesome table, so I'm pretty stoked to see it included. If the leaderboards are good, I'll probably even re-buy all the tables I already have in the Williams collection.

Huh, I got that 3DS game and I didn't notice that at all, at least not with 3D on (I haven't tried it in 2D). I thought it was perfect, my only problem is the low resolution, which they can't really fix. It even had one neat thing, the score/display is on the bottom screen, but if you turn the system upside down the game recognizes it and automatically flips things, so you can still have your 3D for the pinball field on the bottom and the 2D display on the top.

BiggNife

Thank you for reminding me of this

I remember hearing it on the Bombcast for the first time and thinking "FUCK YEAH THEATER OF MAGIC"

I wonder how the Android version will turn out, it sounds like something that would be perfect for my Fire.

jgkspsx

Huh, I got that 3DS game and I didn't notice that at all, at least not with 3D on (I haven't tried it in 2D). I thought it was perfect, my only problem is the low resolution, which they can't really fix.
Hmm, good to hear. Two separate reviews on Amazon said it was only playable in darkened rooms. I will probably give it a try, then.

Oh god, double dipping for sure, the Williams and Gottlieb collections are always in my psp, and i have the Williams ps3 version too, absolutely amazing game

Benedict

Did not know where to post this but something for the future rumourmill:

http://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?p=19450#post19450

jpop
-does Zen have pinball tables coming in the future created by professional pinball designers? John

Solitude, Zen Studios Rep
- We don't have any in production, but we're certainly open to working with people who've designed real machines like Theater of Magic.

jpop
-perhaps there is a simple way to contact Zen about future projects like this?

Solitude, Zen Studios Rep
-Yep, sent you a private message.

Tables designed by John Popadiuk

Interview with John Popadiuk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom