• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Arcade finally launches on Wii U with 147 pieces of DLC

It's been years but it finally happened. Also launched with 147 pieces of DLC some of which I assume must be bundles of some of the other DLC.

From the Eshop website:

Regular updates will add classics like Star Trek®: The Next Generation™, Terminator™ 2: Judgement Day, Twilight Zone®, Creature from the Black Lagoon™, Monster Bash™, Medieval Madness™, Funhouse™, Attack from Mars™, Circus Voltaire™ and Big Shot™ along with online tournaments and additional modes to challenge yourself and compete against your friends.

The Pinball Arcade is the most realistic and comprehensive pinball game ever created!

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pinball-arcade-wii-u

Edit:

So only support for the Gamepad and not control customization.

You also aren't able to post screenshots to Miiverse.

Finally the size is 1669 MB.

There are some Season 5 tables up.

The free game download comes with one table, "Tales of the Arabian Nights".

Individual tables can be bought for $3.99-$4.99.

Some tables are in two-packs for $4.99.

You can buy pro upgrades for individuals tables for $3.99. Or buy a Pro Upgrade pack with the table and Pro upgrade for $7.99.

You can buy custom balls for $0.99 from the Twilight Zone, Star Trek, etc. that can be used on all tables.

The first four seasons of Pinball Arcade are available for $29.99 each. You can buy the upgrade pack for each season for $14.99. Or you can just pay $39.99 for the Pro Pack for each season from the beginning.

Finally there is the Addams Family Gold Mode which is $30.

Season 1 has 21 tables, Season 2 has 19 and Seasons 3 and 4 have ten each.

bigkrev

the PC version has around 70 tables, most of them have pro menu DLC (stuff like operator options), do that number sounds about right. It's a great game, I'll check it out, but feels a little late- I'm already buying on PC and iPad, and used to buy on PS4/Vita!

AgeEighty

Cool, but awfully late.

An NX announcement will hopefully come much sooner. And a VR announcement, for that matter, as Pinball FX isn't my cup of tea.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've become rather disenfranchised with Zen Pinball 2 after a bunch of tables are missing on the Wii U, so I'll be sure to check this out.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Love this on my tablet. They could probably do some cool shit with the Gamepad/TV connection.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pinball Arcade is dope, glad more people have a way to play it. I absolutely love it. Centaur still the best table!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wait, is it out?? EU too?

Will definitely get a few tables.
Own all seasons bar the last one (still incomplete) on iOS. Then S1/S2 and some others on 360. Then S1 on PS4. Then some tables on PC. That's without counting the old collections, lol

Too bad they've confirmed they're not interested in bringing portrait/TATE mode to the consoles :(

how much does it all cost

Just to get all the tables availability would be $120 for the first four seasons and $25 for the remaining 5 tables of Season 5.

For all the DLC including Pro upgrades by my quick calculations it would cost $160 for the first 4 seasons Pro Packs, $40 for the first 5 Pro Packs of season 5, $14 for all the custom balls and $30 for Addams Family Gold.

So give or take a dollar the total would be $244 for 65 Pro tables and some balls.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I was pretty stoked about this... about 3 years ago when I thought it was originally supposed to come out. I actually stopped buying the PS3 DLC when it was announced... but now that I've got a shiny new PS4 I'm more inclined to just buy it all for that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I've become rather disenfranchised with Zen Pinball 2 after a bunch of tables are missing on the Wii U, so I'll be sure to check this out.

Pinball Arcade is so much better than Zen. In addition to being real tables, the physics don't feel like the ball is made of plastic.

HotHamBoy

Is the DMD displayed on the gamepad??

No. The Gamepad mirrors the TV. This is like, THE feature that makes Wii U an interesting alternative to the other platforms and it's absent despite Farsight having shown it before.

After 3 years...

On the plus side, the physics on pre-Xenon tables are the 3.0 flipper physics, so it's on-par with the Steam version. Mobile and other consoles still haven't updated older tables.

Dash Kappei

No. The Gamepad mirrors the TV. This is like, THE feature that makes Wii U an interesting alternative to the other platforms and it's absent despite Farsight having shown it before.

After 3 years...

On the plus side, the physics on pre-Xenon tables are the 3.0 flipper physics, so it's on-par with the Steam version. Mobile and other consoles still haven't updated older tables.

Super disappointed, and obviously no portrait mode even in gamepad mode but at least the physics are the 3.0 version. What about the lighting? Is it 720p I assume? I can't check myself cause off course there's no sign of it on the EU eShop... -_-

HotHamBoy

The lighting is weird. It's like something between PS3 and PS4. Definitely not as good as the latter, it seems baked-in...

Can't comment on resolution at this time.

They never fixed the 360 version after putting it back up, so whatever. Keep stretching too thin FarSight, no point in fixing your messes when there's a new platform to launch on...right?

I mean it looks super cheap.

That UI is horrible and there is no control customization.

No Miiverse or controller options is kind of crazy.

Zen Pinball allowed for simultaneous play between two players with one on the Gamepad and one on the TV.

I do like that all the sample tables are baked in to the initial download though for those with space issues that may not be for the best.

Still as someone who doesn't really like Star Wars or Marvel most of the licensed Zen Tables avaiable on Wii U are pointless except South Park which I got.

I'll definitely get Seasons 1 though as with 21 tables offered it's a good value and I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan. Debating whether to spring the extra ten bucks for the Pro Pack. I don't really like Pinball that much.

I'm in to see how there will adapt this to 3DS. I would assume they couldn't port any version and would need to start mostly from Scratch.

I know Zen released a Marvel and another group Pinball downloads for 3DS. Did they release any more? I got the Marvel set years ago when it was on sale just to have some portable pinball.

Dash Kappei

Honestly as a pinball sim there's really no contest or even comparison to be made with Zen. TPA's tables and physics are on a whole other level (and I own 40 Zen tables myself). So even with this basic port I'd still recommend it if you're even slightly interested in pinball... TOTAN is an amazing table, S1 and S2 are amazingly good deals for the money, grab TAF table on top of it and you'll be set for years. Don't spring for Pro tables unless you're a pinball nut and even then I didn't get it for most tables myself so...
Yes, I'm disappointed but still happy it made it to the platform in the end.

I'm curious about the lighting situation... So it's neither like last-gen nor current-gen? Weird!

After 3 years...

Well these are the same devs who used the awful, scratchy mobile sound files for the PS4 version and never fixed it.

Dinjoralo

Huh, never heard of this game. That does seem really pricey compared to Zen Pinball 2/Pinball FX 2, which is only three bucks per table without having to buy the operator menus separately. Say, for someone who's played a lot of Pinball FX 2, how's this compare?

low-G

Huh, never heard of this game. That does seem really pricey compared to Zen Pinball 2/Pinball FX 2, which is only three bucks per table without having to buy the operator menus separately. Say, for someone who's played a lot of Pinball FX 2, how's this compare?

I like both PFX2 and Pinball Arcade, but Pinball Arcade is my favorite (owned Pinball Hall of Fame on Wii, on 360, bought most seasons on PS4 and all seasons on PC; own PBFX1 on 360, and bought FX2 tables on 360/X1 and some on PC). Pinball Arcade tables are all genuine, and feel much more real. I dare say the real thing still feels vastly different to Pinball Arcade tables, but PA is as good as video pinball has come, so far.

There are some Pinball Arcade tables that are just so addictive, more addictive than any FX2 table... Also, I get the nostalgic feels, being an old school arcade hound.

adroit

Say, for someone who's played a lot of Pinball FX 2, how's this compare?
If you have a Wii U, you can download the game for free and try the free table which is included (Tales of the Arabian Nights). It even includes the "pro" menu for free so you can check that out and decide if you want to pay for it on other tables.

You can also try the other tables for free but the game will end when you reach a certain (low) score.

I already own all the tables on both PC and PS4 but his is of course awesome for those who don't have that option. Everyone should buy at least the complete Season 1 and 4 packs which are full of awesome tables.

The only thing I want now is support for Virtual Pinball cabinets on PC. Even Pinball FX has that support and it's something I'm looking forward to once I'm building my own cabinet.

Toad.T

Banned
Also should be of note is that the Bundle DLC doesn't give you Gold coins for MyNintendo. I'm not entirely sure if this is the same deal with all DLC period, but it should be noted for those with accounts.

Vyse24

I think the real big news to come out of this is that The Addams Family: Gold Edition is being sold as its own thing here. For those who don't know, TAF:G was a Kickstarter exclusive for anyone who pledged about $100 for either this or Dr. Who. And it really says something when the price is equal to that of a full standard season.

BTW, here's the OT for those interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462373

Top Bottom