• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil: Revelations Costs $50, Explains Why

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, this is surprising.

Kotaku said:
‘Epic’ Resident Evil 3DS Game Deserves Its Unusual $50 Price, Says Capcom

Of the 47 upcoming games for the 3DS listed by the gaming chain GameStop, only one of them costs $50. The new Mario Kart will cost $40. So will the next Sonic.

The next Resident Evil, February's Resident Evil: Revelations, won't be had for $40. It'll cost $50. The $10 price boost for this game isn't due to any bundling of the Circle Pad, the second-analog-"stick" add-on for the 3DS. It's not required for Revelations, even though it's been demoed with it. A spokesperson for the game told Kotaku Capcom doesn't even plan to bundle it with the game.

So why would Revelations, a game that is suposed to be a graphically-impressive throwback to classic scary Resident Evil games, cost $50?

"Resident Evil Revelations is an all new Resident Evil title with over 20 hours of gameplay, and cutscenes beautifully rendered in fear-inducing 3D," a Capcom spokesperson told me in an e-mailed statement. "A true console experience on a handheld device, Resident Evil Revelations is an epic title that offers both a single-player campaign for that classic survival horror gaming experience, and an additional RAID mode that can be played cooperatively or single player. To handle all of that data Resident Evil Revelations requires a 4GB cartridge, resulting in a higher price point."

You'll get a chance to decide if the game is worth that early next year. For context, most major Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games currently sell for $60. Top Wii titles usually start at $50.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5855434/epic-resident-evil-3ds-game-deserves-its-unusual-50-price-says-capcom

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fear-inducing 3d, rofl

I'm surprised they don't add some sort of fucked up DRM to the cart too. Like you can only play it standing sideways while eating a plantain or something.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I sometimes wonder if they want their games to fail.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Heavy's Sandvich said:
3DS games are around £30 here which I think equates to $50.

I hope they bundle the controller thingy in it.
They say they have no intention to.

The OP said:
The next Resident Evil, February's Resident Evil: Revelations, won't be had for $40. It'll cost $50. The $10 price boost for this game isn't due to any bundling of the Circle Pad, the second-analog-"stick" add-on for the 3DS. It's not required for Revelations, even though it's been demoed with it. A spokesperson for the game told Kotaku Capcom doesn't even plan to bundle it with the game.

The M.O.B

If it's really good then I have no problem paying that price for premium handheld games, but this game better be REALLY GOOD.

So they are going to sell a 3ds game at $50 as opposed to that $39.99 standard as a "premium product"?

They're going to really harm themselves if they stick with this. I can barely believe what I'm reading myself. Bad business 101

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nuclear Muffin said:
It won't cost that much at retail, even with the higher manufacturing costs associated with the 4GB card.
In the U.S. they actually just charge the MSRP.

Amazon is usually the only exception to this.

On the plus side it means we get every game at $60.

On the down side it means we get every game at $60.

Eusis

If it's received well... you know what? I don't care at all about the price tag. Space Drake's posts revealed profit margins are pretty damn narrow thanks to cart costs, and it's not like this comes off as a relatively cheap game being charged a premium just because (or worse, has a premium attached while cutting parts of the game like SE did twice). As long as $50 stays for stuff like this or meaty RPGs it's not so bad.

I'm guessing there will be numerous sales not long after launch that knock it back down to $40. What a deal!

Seriously though, this was the ONE Capcom title I'd been looking forward to, but there's not a fucking chance in hell I'll pay $50 for a portable title.

Nirolak said:
In the U.S. they actually just charge the MSRP.

Amazon is usually the only exception to this.

Given the flack that Nintendo have gotten already for the standard $40 price point, I reckon that retailers might make an exception for this one.

At the very least, it'll be £34.99/£39.99 here in the UK. Nobody ever charges full RRP on PS360 games (or most Wii games)

Danielsan said:
So will this have a single un-erasable save file as well?

I'll ignore the inateness of this comment for the sake of those who are genuinely concerned, but no. It has normal, eraseable save files.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nuclear Muffin said:
Given the flack that Nintendo have gotten already for the standard $40 price point, I reckon that retailers might make an exception for this one.

At the very least, it'll be £34.99/£39.99 here in the UK. Nobody ever charges full RRP on PS360 games (or most Wii games)
Right, I suspect it will be different in the UK, but even the Square Enix tax got applied to every Square Enix DS game here.

When publishers negotiate prices with retailers, it's very heavily based on the MSRP in the U.S., so they don't really have leverage to change the price outside of just having a sale.

Eusis

Sadist said:
It's € 45 here in Holland. Normal price of every 3DS title released.
Probably because America gets a ridiculous discount compared to other countries, Japan seems to range from $50 to freak cases like DQIX being $90, and just going by posts like yours it sounds like England and Europe have been paying significantly more too. Then there's Australia, but they seem to be in the opposite extreme from the US really.

Edit: With all that said I went ahead and placed a pre-order on Amazon since they were still selling it at $39.99... on sale from $49.99

sphinx

the piano man
this will fail sooo hard in Europe.

I can picture myself seeing the €59.99 price tag on the gamecase and laughing.

Damn. Handheld games don't go down in price often either, at least not big titles on DS and 3DS from what I've seen.

The game does seem to be pretty full-featured. The thing is though a lot of people aren't paying $60 or even $50 for many console games these days. It seems like everything drops down to $40 after just a month or two these days, and there's been a ton of B2G1F sales, plus Black Friday coming up.

I don't know, I really hope this doesn't become a trend because $50 is definitely "wait for a sale" pricing for me, and like I said I don't see sales happening very often for 3DS games.

Guess they're really confident this will sell well, I can't believe they think this is a smart decision.

Nirolak said:
Right, I suspect it will be different in the UK, but even the Square Enix tax got applied to every Square Enix DS game here.

When publishers negotiate prices with retailers, it's very heavily based on the MSRP in the U.S., so they don't really have leverage to change the price outside of just having a sale.

That's true I guess. They make a huge markup from the US price here in Europe, so they have a good margin to cut from, in order to bring down the retail price over here.

I wonder if the development budget given to this game was comparable to RE4? (probably not quite there, considering that it wasn't in development as long, but it certainly looks like it isn't too far off!)

Mael

This november is really a disaster, it's like they're making everything they can so that I keep the money in my wallet!
I appreciate the effort but really my retailer is not exactly happy with that

Mael said:
This november is really a disaster, it's like they're making everything they can so that I keep the money in my wallet!
I appreciate the effort but really my retailer is not exactly happy with that

Good thing that it's not coming out in November then! (Hint, it's January in Japan/EU and February in the US)

Eusis

I do think how high in demand a game is is getting underestimated somewhat. Maybe it'll be screwed if the 3DS fails to gain more momentum, or simply being doomed on a Nintendo handheld rather than a Sony/Microsoft platform, but if enough people want it enough they'll go ahead and pay that higher price. Look at how MW2 ushered in the $60 price tag on PCs to catch on. It tends to backfire more when it's on a game that's simply not going to have that kind of demand (see: SE DS games that weren't FF remakes.)

dr3upmushroom said:
Damn. Handheld games don't go down in price often either, at least not big titles on DS and 3DS from what I've seen.
I imagine if this catches on you'll see more deeper sales. It seems the sweet spot for a sale is $20, regardless of (physical) platform, and it'll probably apply here too.

tsab

Wasn't all games 50$?
In my country all 3DS titles, officially, cost 51€. I wonder how much they will charge for RE:R

Erethian

Titles like Revelations are running into the issue that, while in terms of content they stack up against any past gen (or even current gen) console game, they can't command the same price. For various reasons.

Not sure how developers and publishers intend to get around that issue, but it's only going to get worse as the graphical fidelity of dedicated handhelds increases.

It's £34.99 in the UK, which is like £5 more than normal. I'm happy to pay that for a polished, lengthy title.

In the US I imagine they'll try and charge this, it doesn't necessarily mean it will stick. Retailers will probably compete on it too for the holidays.

I haven't heard much about co-op -- is it local only or can you do online?

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
Good thing that it's not coming out in November then! (Hint, it's January in Japan/EU and February in the US)
I follow this title so closely that I thought it was like everything else....released between last week and next week....

radioheadrule83 said:
It's £34.99 in the UK, which is like £5 more than normal. I'm happy to pay that for a polished, lengthy title.

I haven't heard much about co-op -- is it local only or can you do online?

Actually, technically it's £5 less than the normal RRP (Pretty much every retailer has made that the standard 3DS price now though. A bit like how most PS360 games sell for £39.99, when the RRP is actually £49.99)

Co-op is its own separate mode (with its own unique environments, gameplay and stages) and is both local and online enabled)

I'd actually be okay with MGS 3D charging this if they upgraded the capacity of the card they were using and improved (un-downgraded!) the textures etc.

Lol, console experience = 10 dollars extra? so the rest $40 games on 3ds are just shit game developed with adobe flash. that's what capcom is telling us.

also PSP games were never 50 bucks.

duckroll

Erethian said:
Titles like Revelations are running into the issue that, while in terms of content they stack up against any past gen (or even current gen) console game, they can't command the same price. For various reasons.

Not sure how developers and publishers intend to get around that issue, but it's only going to get worse as the graphical fidelity of dedicated handhelds increases.

The only option is to stop bothering with this route in regards to the North American audience. Portables will never find the level of success for the sort of gaming experiences that Japanese developers want to make on them. Stick to selling 90 dollar Final Fantasy games in Japan, and release everything else for 10 bucks on iOS outside of Japan! Woo!

gogogow

Not surprised. It's Capcom afterall, they always find a way to fuck things up. They always have some kind of lame excuse, either it's DRM, arcade gameplay or a larger capacity cartridge in this case.

Item(s) Subtotal: $39.99
Shipping & Handling: $4.49
Gold Box Discount: -$2.00
Super Saver Discount: -$4.49
-----
Total Before Tax: $37.99
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $37.99

Love amazon!

I suggest getting your pre-orders in now before they raise their price for the pre-order, cause they will.

RagnarokX

Y2Kev said:
Fear-inducing 3d, rofl

I'm surprised they don't add some sort of fucked up DRM to the cart too. Like you can only play it standing sideways while eating a plantain or something.
The only thing scarier is the price!

Top Bottom