• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder MMO Announced

hoverX

https://goblinworks.com/

Pathfinder Online takes place in the world of the award-winning Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, an industry-leading tabletop roleplaying game based on more than a decade of system development. The Pathfinder world includes elements inspired by classic and modern fantasy, from lost cities shrouded in misty jungles to decaying pyramids in deserts of burning sands to a fantastic island metropolis where folk from countless kingdoms live side by side with all manner of exotic creatures. If a player wants to tell a fantasy story, the world of Pathfinder has a place for it. (For more information on the world of Pathfinder and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, please visit paizo.com/pathfinder.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. I just can't get excited for MMORPGs until they are mostly ready for release. So many pipe dreams that are never actually implemented (not saying that's the case with this game). So many betrayals.

hoverX

On one hand it's yet another MMO being released but on the other hand it's Pathfinder! So it should be done well. The CEO of Paizo is overseeing this company as well.

Most people are just going to see it as a generic fantasy MMO, Pathfinder while popular with the hardcore P&P players, doesn't have name recognition as other franchises.

Hari Seldon

Has this studio ever done any video game before? This has a higher probability of being a traditional stock scam pump and dump rather than a serious game effort.

Xater

Most people are just going to see it as a generic fantasy MMO, Pathfinder while popular with the hardcore P&P players, doesn't have name recognition as other franchises.

Ok now it makes sense to be. I am a big fucking nerd and even I have never heard of Pathfinder before. I know my D&D, Vampires and Shadowrun...

Ok now it makes sense to be. I am a big fucking nerd and even I have never heard of Pathfinder before. I know my D&D, Vampires and Shadowrun...

They have become huge in the P&P in recent 2 years. It basically brought back 3.5 D&D and updated it with some rule changes and a new setting. Paizo also has amazing support for the products which have garnered lot of good will with fans while WOTC has hurt lot of peoples feelings for various reasons with D&D.

hoverX

They have become huge in the P&P in recent 2 years. It basically brought back 3.5 D&D and updated it with some rule changes and a new setting. Paizo also has amazing support for the products which have garnered lot of good will with fans while WOTC has hurt lot of peoples feelings for various reasons with D&D.

Last quarter Pathfinder actually out sold D&D 4e.

Last quarter Pathfinder actually out sold D&D 4e.

Possibly, lot of this info is hard to track as most of the places that put out such data only collect it from select retailers. ICV2 often puts out sales rankings but does not account for most retailers and its data is collected as a survey more than actual hard fact.

But I could imagine it being true.

Threi

notag
mQbOg.jpg

??????

hoverX

Possibly, lot of this info is hard to track as most of the places that put out such data only collect it from select retailers. ICV2 often puts out sales rankings but does not account for most retailers and its data is collected as a survey more than actual hard fact.

But I could imagine it being true.

Yeah, I was going by ICV2. I could totally see it as well since they put out so much content. 4e may be more popular but there is just so much more Pathfinder content for people to buy.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
WOW simply fantastic.
Hope they can pull it off and make it fun. I always wanted a Baulders Gate style game from Paizo but guess this will do.

Who is Paizo and Pathfinder?
Paizo is the company that published and wrote "Dragon" and "Dungeon" magazine They were formed from former WOTC people that left after Hasbro bought out WOTC.
They wrote the mags from 2002 onward till WOTC canceled all paper mags.

By then Paizo's rep had started to seriously surpass WOTC all the adventure line series in Dungeon Mag were far more popular then official Dnd Modules.

So when WOTC decided to kill the D20 licensing and move to 4th edition they Used the OGL to write dnd 3.75 called Pathfinder..and they've just nailed it across the board.
To alot of PnP players Pathfinder is more DnD then WOTC is these days.

So Ill be really excited to see if they can bring some of the stellar Adventure Path writing and translate that into an MMO successfully.

Just wanted to say that the shitty Pathfinder movie about Vikings was really shitty.

So it didn't surprise me that the same director also made that shitty Conan movie.

That is all.

Ainaurdur

Will play 5 months after release when it's F2P

They already said it will be a F2P/Hybrid model.

Goblinworks FAQ said:
We are planning a hybrid subscription/free-to-play model. Players will have the option to pay a flat monthly fee for complete access to all standard game features, or to play for free with certain restrictions, using microtransactions to access desired features and content on an a la carte basis. Pricing details have not yet been finalized.

While it isn't likely, I'd LOVE for them to add the ability for Pathfinder GMs (like myself) to create and run adventures within the world for their friends. I'd gladly pay for that, really. I love me some Pathfinder.

obonicus

While it isn't likely, I'd LOVE for them to add the ability for Pathfinder GMs (like myself) to create and run adventures within the world for their friends. I'd gladly pay for that, really. I love me some Pathfinder.

Maybe a mission editor like City of Heroes has?

Orayn

I very much like the idea of more new MMOs based on the sandbox school of thought. Best of luck to the developers!

Also, not having fixed classes or levels reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies, which is a very good thing.

DiscoJer

It seems strange to license a game that is literally a D&D clone (basically it's D&D 3.75, based on the third edition rules which were made "open" to a degree) and then abandon almost everything about it.

No classes, no levels, focus on building (as opposed to questing).

Keeping the world and the "flavor" which honestly, isn't that notable.

Then again, maybe they couldn't. IIRC, the electronic implementation of the rules was sort of questionable, since the rules had to remain "open" (which implied the source code being available). So they are just licensing the name and setting...

Why not license a P&P RPG that was already classeless? Like say, RuneQuest? Or a literary property?

DiscoJer

I think most of the existing employees work for Paizo

Yeah. Now that I look, it's actually a case of the owner of Paizo also putting her money into this company as well.

Also has Ryan Dancey, who is basically the guy that came up with the OGL thing that made Pathfind possible, and some guy from City of Heroes

But if they are starting up now, I wouldn't expect anything for a few years. Sandbox MMORPGs are especially challenging to develop, it seems.

New Goblinworks blog post up!

https://goblinworks.com/blog/

Introducing the Crusader Road

posted by Ryan Dancey on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Welcome to our second development blog! This material builds on our last blog, where we revealed that the plan for Pathfinder Online is to start with a small player population and limit growth for the first seven months after release to allow the game's social, political, economic and territorial systems to emerge effectively from player interaction.

Today, we're going to talk about the geographic area that will be featured at launch. (Of course, the game's geography—just like the other game systems—will expand over time.) We selected our initial area because it gives the design a sturdy framework to build interesting content on.

To our right is the map of the Inner Sea Region of the planet Golarion, the setting for most Pathfinder products. The red rectangle highlights the River Kingdoms area, home to Pathfinder Online. Just to the north of the River Kingdoms is the Worldwound, a rift through which chaotic evil forces are attempting to enter the world and establish a demonic domain.

Let's zoom in on the River Kingdoms region:

That red rectangle in the northwest highlights the Crusader Road area, our focus for launch.

This area is roughly 11 miles wide and 12 miles tall—about 133 square miles. It contains part of the Echo Wood to the east and is bordered on the west by the West Sellen River. The zone includes the currently abandoned town of Mosswater.

We'll divide this area into 256 hexes—the fundamental territorial unit of Pathfinder Online. The game's underlying technical architecture will likely encapsulate each hex in its own process similar to the way EVE Online manages systems. (This is extremely preliminary thinking; our final choice of middleware may dictate a different underlying architecture, but the logical division of the territory into hexes from the player perspective is the intended design.) To the right is the map of the Crusader Road area with the hex grid overlaid. Hexes that will be primarily forest are green; river hexes are filled with blue.

Let me give you a little perspective on how large this place really is: Below is a similarly scaled map of Philadephia, PA—a city with an area of 134 square miles that supports a real-world population of more than 1.5 million people.

View Larger Map

Even though the Crusader Road is just a tiny part of the River Kingdoms, which in turn is just a small part of the Inner Sea Region, which in turn is just a small part of Golarion, that red rectangle is plenty big. And for a world where horses are the primary means of transportation, crossing this map is a pretty significant journey.

The Crusader Road

An endless stream of adventurers travels the Sellen River to confront the diabolic menace at the Worldwound. And just as with Earth's historic crusades, a large number of other folks travel with them: camp followers, traders, thieves. However, there's a problem: an unknown factor has increased the monstrous activity in Mosswater such that it now threatens safety along the Sellen, and the river is impassable near the former town. Crusaders and their fellow travelers have to make an overland detour into the River Kingdoms, creating a constantly shifting population of transients along with more permanent residents who establish services to support the northward migration. Thus, this area has become a rich source of trade, conflict and territorial disputes.

The northern portion of the area is overseen by the righteous and lawful Knights of Iomedae, operating from a stronghold known as Fort Riverwatch. The northern approach is guarded by the ruthless Hellknights, enforcing their rule from Fort Inevitable. And from within the depths of the Echo Wood, a wretched hive of scum and villainy exerts control over much of the forest.

Between these three NPC factions are vast expanses of wilderness claimed by no power, ripe for development by those capable of taking and holding the land against the forces arrayed in opposition to them.

A variety of creatures live in this area. The wilderness is home to tribes of monstrous humanoids, and all manner of magical beasts make lairs in the forest. Undead infest ruins and graveyards. Below the surface lie unending caverns guarded by aberrations. And a few dragons are known to live in seclusion, sleeping on huge mounds of treasure.

To master these lands, players will need to harvest and make use of a wide variety of resources: cutting timber, mining ore, skinning hides, and gathering crops. These resources will need to be processed into materials that in turn can be crafted to create the weapons, vehicles, structures, and consumables that form the heart of the economic system. Combined with rare and exotic materials recovered by explorers who dare to confront the monsters and opposing players in the wilderness, all manner of gear both magical and mundane will circulate within the economy.

Exploration, Development, Adventure and Domination

On the front page of goblinworks.com, we said "Pathfinder Online is a hybrid sandbox/theme park-style MMO where characters explore, develop, find adventure and dominate a wilderness frontier in a land of sword and sorcery." Those four actions—Exploration, Development, Adventure, and Domination—are the key elements of our game design, and we'll be referencing them a lot in future blogs. We expect characters to develop a focus on at least one of those elements, and the Crusader Road area gives us great hooks to build challenging content for all four of these foci.

Start Making Your Mark on the World Today!

What happens in the River Kingdoms will be up to you—starting right now! We mentioned that there's "a wretched hive of scum and villainy" in the depths of the Echo Wood... and it needs a name. Visit this thread on the Pathfinder Online messageboards on paizo.com and vote for the one you like the most. We'll announce the winning name on the January 11 blog!

Sullen

Holy crap I just learned that this existed. How did I not know there was a Pathfinder game being made? Mind is totally blown.

Holy crap I just learned that this existed. How did I not know there was a Pathfinder game being made? Mind is totally blown.

The problem with this is that it doesn't exist yet. Goblinworks was still looking for investors, last I checked. There are a lot of things on that page, and most of them tell me that "modern game design" is a thing they're ignoring, for better or worse. This may please the hardest of core, but it's going to make finding funding difficult.

The choices they are making so far are pretty encouraging. They are purposely avoiding the WoW-game of initial explosion then eventual downturn to failure and sticking with the Eve-game of a consistent but smaller base.

Xiaoki

I was excited because I initially thought of an MMO based on a James Fenimore Cooper book.

I leave disappointed because its based on the TSR campaign.

Until further notice "whoo, more D&D inspired generic fantasy MMOs ahoy!" is my reaction.

I was excited because I initially thought of an MMO based on a James Fenimore Cooper book.

I leave disappointed because its based on the TSR campaign.

Until further notice "whoo, more D&D inspired generic fantasy MMOs ahoy!" is my reaction.

So you know nothing about this then? Read up then post.

Top Bottom