• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does MGS4 still have the best cutscenes in the industry?

ScOULaris

In 2008, after the release of Metal Gear Solid 4, this quote from Cliff Bleszinski found its way onto most gaming sites:

CliffyB said:
I'm a huge fan of Kojima... The kind of scenes they do in MGS4 are phenomenal. I think it has the best sound and real-time [cut scenes] I've seen in the industry and since they're the best at what they do, players love it... It's the hallmark of the series - the camera angles and dramatic scenes and it's really taking film-making to this new digital level...

Regardless of what you thought of the game's story or legacy within the series, it's safe to assume that most people would have agreed with that statement over three years ago. MGS4's lavish production was unlike anything else in the market at the time, with its sheer number of meticulously composed and framed cutscenes, all of which were mixed and mastered at Skywalker Ranch. Since MGS4's release, we've seen multiple entries in other blockbuster/AAA/cinematic-adventure game series. Franchises like Call of Duty, Uncharted, and God of War along with new IP's like Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, Heavy Rain, and Enslaved all have striven to give gamers a "cinematic" experience in different ways.

308_metal-gear-solid-4-screenshots-20070711022830016_normal.jpg

Uncharted made a name for itself by introducing gamers to the next-gen evolution of the standalone cutscene: the set-piece. Scripted events are nothing new to linear single-player action games, but the Uncharted series struck a balance (especially in UC2) between making the player feel in control just enough during these big cinematic moments for the illusion of player authorship to be conveyed. Something like the Call of Duty series sticks more to the template that Half-Life introduced to gaming: scripted sequences that happen around the player but cannot be affected by their actions.

In the case of Rockstar games like RDR and L.A. Noire, cutscenes are handled more traditionally in that there's a clear distinction between non-interactive scenes that are meant to progress the story and gameplay segments. The reason that I include these two games in the conversation is that their cutscenes exhibit notably high production values with regard to writing, voice acting, and image composition. That, and the believability of their game worlds lends that extra atmosphere and cinematic flair that really helps sell every scene. Heavy Rain is, essentially, one long cutscene fused with QTE's. While I personally found the writing/acting to be pretty sub-par, the game was definitely attempting to present itself as a cinematic experience. Enslaved is merely mentioned for the quality of its facial animation, writing, and voice acting to lend its cutscenes a polish that bolsters their impact.

OgAAADAJPAzx7LTfULEjklvE0o5s63v8Ahh-KrvGfBrjC0poSccgGNN4h1w9_xRvtiy152lHlJxuAKL3L4hR6LhyHskAm1T1UN20d4Rrso5B2Pi7eO2jbAW2__eV.jpg

Despite all of this ebb and flow with regard to how cutscenes are handled in games, I think it can be argued that Metal Gear Solid 4 still holds the title of Best Cutscenes in Gaming. Granted, Kojima's writing is verbal diarrhea at times and the story falls over itself trying to tie up every loose end, but the technical artistry that went into those cinematics is undeniable. Just look at the shot composition, sound mixing, and video editing in all of these examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j3wsbHwIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Timv4WqC0rY&t=7m00s (7:00 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZA4vskvJU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZJrTQ8LbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dV3edKH4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrtLC_Pijw

Since there are hours upon hours of cutscenes in MGS4, I could go on to list dozens of additional examples. Has anything topped this level of digital cinematography (machinima) this gen? Or was there ever a game with superior cutscenes that preceded MGS4?

Honestly, I think Red Dead Redemption is the only game that comes close. It can't match MGS4 in terms of sheer spectacle, but it has better writing/acting and its overall aesthetic rivals that of some of film's western classics. Shadow of the Colossus would be an example of a last-gen game that I felt had absolutely perfect cutscenes. It didn't have very many, but the game was book-ended by two of the most pitch-perfect cinematics in gaming history IMO.

Chris_C

No, it doesn't. Excusing the actual direction of the scenes, the dialogue (and delivery) is pretty bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The best? Difficult to say, but they are extremely well directed. The writing has issues, but the scenes themselves are very well done. They are particularly impressive in that they shied away from using pre-renders scenes 90% of the time. Most of the cutscenes are completely realtime.

Dragon

Banned
No, it doesn't. Excusing the actual direction of the scenes, the dialogue (and delivery) is pretty bad.

I'd say that's more a problem of the script. I think the delivery is fine in most cases.

In terms of performance: no I think Uncharted's is better. However the impressive thing is the fact you can move the camera during the cutscenes except for one or two notable ones.

Darkkn

Resident Evil 5 really impressed me in how cutscenes were shot and directed. Really good handheld feel to shots. Content of these cutscenes was garbage tho :)

Tthe MGS4 cutscenes just went on forever and were very boring. I would never vote for that game as having the best cutscenes. I really enjoyed the Starcraft 2 cutscenes, though, so go figure.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Act 3 beats everything ever done.

Yes Act 3 is better than any hollywood film. COME AT ME JETT!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
jksimmonsprjjy.gif

I guess if you really like the Matrix and you watch them with the sound muted they might be tolerable. I thought the writing was utter garbage and therefore every second was painful.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Resident Evil 5 really impressed me in how cutscenes were shot and directed. Really good handheld feel to shots. Content of these cutscenes was garbage tho :)
Actually, I'd agree that RE5 is also one of the best examples. The realtime cutscenes are just incredible to behold.

People naming stuff like Yakuza and Uncharted aren't wrong in that those games features great cutscene direction, but the fact that they are all pre-rendered takes away some of the technical impact. Producing realtime scenes is much more difficult.

Yup, still my favorite this gen, especially the Act 3 cutscene. I've played through the game a few times just to watch them again.

Eliciel

Act 3 beats everything ever done.

Yes Act 3 is better than any hollywood film. COME AT ME JETT!

I second this. It is. It really is I had three friends sitting at my couch they had no clue what was going on because they've never played any mgs game before and they joined me at act 2...but boy were they blown away by the cutscenes. Pure awesomeness.

MisterHero

In different ways, Skyward Sword has topped Ocarina's storytelling, but I'll never forget certain scenes like Ganondorf stopping in front of Link after Zelda and Impa escape, or the collapse of Ganon's Tower, or Darunia dancing like crazy after playing Saria's Song for him

Screw you Eye of Sauron, Ganon's Tower did it first

MGS4 is full of elaborate scenes like the Ocelot-Military standoff in Act 3(?), and the attack on Outer Haven. I found those very impressive. Raiden stuff is enjoyable, but they really don't accomplish anything

LiK

OP, I agree that MGS4's cutscenes were techinically impressive. Still looks great. But the scenes still suffered from some weird facial animation for some characters.

Grisby

There's some good shots to be sure.

Resident Evil 5 sits up at the top for me though. I was extremely impressed by them.

Barrett2

All the cinematic production in the world can't overcome gag-worthy dialogue and embarrassingly bloated writing.

KageMaru

Big MGS fanboy over here, but I still wouldn't agree with the OP.

Actually, I'd agree that RE5 is also one of the best examples. The realtime cutscenes are just incredible to behold.

People naming stuff like Yakuza and Uncharted aren't wrong in that those games features great cutscene direction, but the fact that they are all pre-rendered takes away some of the technical impact. Producing realtime scenes is much more difficult.

Yup, agreed 100%. Thought DMC4's were also good as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nice cinematography, animation, and impressive technology, but bad everything else. At times MGS4's cutscenes feel like you're watching raw, unedited footage post production footage that would never make it into the final film. Throw in horrendous dialogue and yeah, you've got pretty forgetful game cinema.

I admire what KojiPro can do, but I think MGS4 is a pretty bad example of it. Previous Metal Gear games are much more impressive, as they not only retain the great technology and production values, but are actually good too.

DangerStepp

It sure has the longest

Well.

They also have one big problem.

You should know.

Specially if you are into film.

They need editing.

A lot of it.

The pacing gets so awful at times.

But yeah, they look great, carefully animated, amazing attention to detail. I can't help but think that some of the editing problems come from adapting a Japanese script.
This and this.

But despite that, they're still very pretty but I'm we could find something comparable if not better at this point in time.

Kinyou

Cliffy says it right, the sound is what makes 50% of these cutscenes. Characters have a certain feel of "weight" to them that is almost non-present in every other game

Uncharted franchise does it well too.
Realtime cutscenes

MGS4 is pretty much on the next level as far as cutscenes go, and they are mostly even in real time. I agree with the OP

There's some entertaining and well-produced stuff there, but as usual it desperately needed editing. Lots of pointless exposition and overly drawn out action.

Uncharted does it the best. That's the one series where I never feel like skipping a cutscene, though they're starting to push the limits of how much exposition there should be in a game like that.

Syn23

How are you judging this though? Purely on performance? Because most of the cutscenes are throwaway during the time your party is split up. You can sum them up pretty succinctly.

In terms of production value.
They are the typical jrpg clichè cutscenes, and obviously they aren't strictly necessary or irreplaceable in the game. But, informative content aside, quality wise they are good.

hamchan

I'd put MGS1-3 cutscenes over 4 because while they were also long, they were also interesting. A lot of MGS4's cutscenes were very boring.

I think they lose points by not having Snake holding the gun he's actually using in-game. I almost exclusively stick to the tranq gun, yet in all the cutscenes he's running around with some rifle.

rvy

Banned
No. But the action choreography for the cutscenes with emo Raiden are the best in the industry. Hands down, some of the most amazing stuff I've seen in a cutscene. Bayonetta and Vanquish included.
The rest are very good from a production value standpoint (motion-capture is awesome, camera angles, whatever else), but they aren't good. Long, dreadful, boring, nonsensical shit.

ScOULaris

Maybe the thread title is misleading. I tried to emphasize the production quality of the cutscenes in the OP.

Maybe I should have named it: Does MGS4 still have the most impressive cutscenes in the industry?

KageMaru

Maybe the thread title is misleading. I tried to emphasize the production quality of the cutscenes in the OP.

Maybe I should have named it: Does MGS4 still have the most impressive cutscenes in the industry?

I doubt would still agree though. What makes MGS4's cut-scenes more impressive than say....RE5's for example? In reality, there are plenty of games today that have high production values in their real time cut-scenes, they are just much MUCH shorter than those found in MGS4.

Top Bottom