• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does MGS4 still have the best cutscenes in the industry?

Salaadin

The action scenes are some of the best Ive ever seen. Theyre so ridiculous but sooo fun to watch. Replaying MGS2 and MGS3 HD is also a reminder of how great KojiPro did action cutscenes on the PS2 as well.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Are we talking about pre-rendered cutscenes only or even CG ones? Well, I kind of loved the ones in MGS4, especially during my first playthrough, but they got boring pretty quickly.

"Behold...the Guns...Of the Patriots!"

*5 minutes later*

"Behold...the Guns...Of the Patriots!"

The faces looked really good though

Maybe the thread title is misleading. I tried to emphasize the production quality of the cutscenes in the OP.

Maybe I should have named it: Does MGS4 still have the most impressive cutscenes in the industry?
Maybe if you asked 'Does MGS4 still have the most impressive realtime cutscenes in the industry?' the answer might be yes.

Biff

I think The Cliffster™ was talking more about their technical prowess rather than their dialogue delivery. But keep on hatin' on.

KageMaru

Are we talking about pre-rendered cutscenes only or even CG ones? Well, I kind of loved the ones in MGS4, especially during my first playthrough, but they got boring pretty quickly.

I just assumed we were talking about real time cut-scenes since most aren't pre-rendered in MGS4. Shouldn't group them all together IMO since pre-rendered cut scenes give the devs much more freedom.

Yanksfan

There are some serious MGS4 haters here..to the point that they will ignore the actual question at hand to just vomit on MGS4. It is one thing to believe they are not technically impressive, but the reasons given are basically just 'I don't like them, so everything about them is shit'.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I might actually give the nod to Killzone, Uncharted, or Mass Effect (with my Femshep).

I'm sure if I thought about this for 10 more seconds my answers would change.

GTA 4 and the episodes have been the most entertaining for me, primarily because the writing and voice acting is top notch.

The cutscenes and story are literally just exposition. I feel bad fir the voice actors saying all this ridiculous dialogue in this retarded story.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why would you make this thread on NeoGAF?

And yes, it still has the best cutscenes in a video game. Nothing this generation will ever beat it.

Branson

You can really tell a lot of attention was put into them that's for sure. From the way they had to motion capture entire 5 minute sequences just so you could use mkII is still sort of mind blowing to me even when I went back to it a week ago. I still really enjoy it. Install issues aside which is now the biggest problem I have with it.

And making this thread on GAF I'm surprised you weren't crucified further for saying something good about it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I was going to say uncharted... then I realised most of the awesome moments are real time. :)

Uncharted wins just for not being bloated pseudo-esoteric tin foil hat live-journal rambling...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There are some serious MGS4 haters here..to the point that they will ignore the actual question at hand to just vomit on MGS4. It is one thing to believe they are not technically impressive, but the reasons given are basically just 'I don't like them, so everything about them is shit'.

no different than the people who like it saying it's the indisputable best without any explanation.

protip: in gaf mgs4 arguments as soon as you accuse someone of having some biased agenda for or against the game, you lose

I thought the cutscenes were good. Although I hated the choreography in the Raiden vs Vamp example picture you posted. You can do crazy impossible action scenes without making them look stupid like that one.(like others have said, Bayonetta and DMC4 are a good example of this. although DMC4 had some pretty bad scenes too)

So yeah I don't know if I'd say they were the best, but they were definitely good.

ScOULaris

no different than the people who like it saying it's the indisputable best without any explanation.

protip: in gaf mgs4 arguments as soon as you accuse the otherside of having some biased agenda for or against the game, you lose

I thought the cutscenes were good. Although I hated the choreography in the Raiden vs Vamp example picture you posted. You can do crazy impossible action scenes without making them look stupid like that one.(like others have said, Bayonetta and DMC4 are a good example of this. although DMC4 had some pretty bad scenes too)

So yeah I don't know if I'd say they were the best, but they were definitely good.

What looked stupid about the Raiden vs Vamp fight? I thought it was choreographed really well.

Mechazawa

Such timeless classics as "Akiba shitting in a trashcan"

Tons of shitty dialogue and scenarios aside, though, I really appreciated the use of mocap. Sometimes a little too much god damn swaying around from the actors, but generally you got a really good impression that the people in scenes weren't entirely automatons.

Reveirg

Wow, I was pretty much bored to tears with Bayonetta's cutscenes, I found most of them to be poorly-directed, confusing mess.

I agree for FFXIII, though, fantastic direction in some of them, very high production value too.

Haven't played MGS4 yet, I'll make sure to do that soon.

NinjaBoiX

OP's question assumes everyone thinks self-indulgent, militaristic, rambling, ham-fisted psychobabble featuring pretentious, homoerotic, anime-reject, emo fucktards is the height of storytelling.

The writing in 99% of games is obsolete shit, cringe worthy even. Uncharted gets praised, but in reality its just a mindless fun action script, nothing more. But MGS4 gets called out for being over the top, or poorly written, like it's being compared to the writing from The Godfather.

I'm not saying the story is good, but compared to video games, it blows most away

ScOULaris

Such timeless classics as "Akiba shitting in a trashcan.
KuGsj.gif
Thanks for that.

OP's question assumes everyone thinks self-indulgent, militaristic, rambling, ham-fisted psychobabble featuring pretentious, homoerotic, anime-reject, emo fucktards is the height of storytelling.

Well, isn't it? All kidding aside, I wasn't claiming that MGS4 has the best storytelling in the medium, but rather the best-directed cutscenes.

jett

D-Member
Best how? They were stupid long and bloated, with horrible writing and stiff voice acting. Some of the action scenes are kinda cool, but it'd be nice if you could actually play the action instead of watching it. One thing Uncharted does perfectly is that it only uses cut-scenes for dialogue and narrative exposition, everything else is left for gameplay. And they're two minutes long on average. Fucking learn Hideous Kojima.

Act 3 beats everything ever done.

Yes Act 3 is better than any hollywood film. COME AT ME JETT!

oh you

Mr_Zombie

protip: in gaf mgs4 arguments as soon as you accuse someone of having some biased agenda for or against the game, you lose

Over-the-top? Yes. Bad (if we're talking about action scenes)? No.

On topic, add me to the RE5 cutscenes appreaciation group. Whatever you may think of the script, the directon, mo-cap, face animation and especially camera work are great in that game.

jorgeton

Nope, no way in hell. While some scenes are great, on the whole they are just too damned long. I think I fell asleep through half the game. Action scenes make for great cut scenes, not so much 20 minutes of self-indulgent dialogue from CGI people.

I enjoyed the cut scenes in games like RE5, Yakuza 3/4, and FFXIII a whole lot more. They were long enough to make an impact, but not so long as too wear out their welcome.

Most cutscenes in the game are awesome. Some others, not so much.

But gee, this thread is like I'm crossing some bridge full of mitical creatures living under it.

Derrick01

Banned
Christ I forgot about that awful filter the game uses. It looks like a corroded penny.

But on topic holy shit no. MGS4 was a joke from all angles and the cutscenes were way too long and full of too much bullshit. The Uncharted games are probably the best because of how realistic they are. They animate perfectly and they act better than any other game before it. Not to mention there's usually something nuts going on in them too.

charsace

The most impressive cut scenes to me this gen are the ones in COD4. When your helicopter crashed and you die, that was really intense.

BeeDog

Stop criticizing other members' opinions to this extent and post examples you find better. Topics on GAF nowadays devolve into "no u" arguments too often without actually contributing to the discussion.

I agree with dark10x that having pre-rendered scenes (like in Uncharted 1/2/3 or Alan Wake) takes away a lot, so I honestly have a hard time coming up with some great examples. I'd say Red Dead Redemption has great cutscenes; all in-game, all expertly voiced and acted, and not much craziness happens in them (thus, the actual gameplay provides the interesting set-pieces). The only thing that the game is lacking is that most of the characters that are featured in the cutscenes are obnoxious and utterly disgusting. You essentially want them all to die, and Rockstar has a knack for creating unlikable characters.

As mentioned, Resident Evil 5 also has fantastic in-game cutscenes.

I'm sure that you know that by bringing up anything MGS related, you're automatically feeding the trolls around here. I have yet to see a Metal Gear related topic that isn't instantly inundated by people trying to come up with clever one liners to bash this great series.

jett

D-Member
I'm sure that you know that by bringing up anything MGS related, you're automatically feeding the trolls around here. I have yet to see a Metal Gear related topic that isn't instantly inundated by people trying to come up with clever one liners to bash this great series.

kmwuG.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What looked stupid about the Raiden vs Vamp fight? I thought it was choreographed really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzLQMO0W9U8#t=2m27s

This part isn't so bad as it's just so.....out of place I guess. Like in the middle of a serious scene he just starts head spinning with robots on his feet. There's no reason for him to do this besides to show off and that doesn't really fit Raiden's personality.(He's not bayonetta or dante). This whole scene is like that I guess. Kojipro just putting in ridiculous shit they thought was cool without any consideration of context.

I mean I could totally see two dorm mates high-fiving eachother during this scene. It was just weird as hell to me even the first time I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzLQMO0W9U8#t=3m51s

Something I always do when watching cool action scenes is step back and think to myself that if you remove all the dramatic camera angles and fancy effects, and just saw the scene play out from the perspective of an observer, would it still be cool?

If the answer is no then I don't really think the scene is well choreographed. It's why alot of The Matrix scenes aren't that cool to me.

but the answer for this one right here is a big HELL NO. I mean what the hell is he doing? Why is he flipping on his sword like that? I can't for the life of me make sense of how they're moving right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzLQMO0W9U8#t=4m25s

The most important part of choreographing a fight scene is to make it actually look like the people fighting are trying to hurt/kill eachother.

When the audience can tell that they're just dancing you've kind of fucked up.

Especially in a videogame where they really are trying to kill eachother

NinjaBoiX

Most cutscenes in the game are awesome. Some others, not so much.

But gee, this thread is like I'm crossing some bridge full of mitical creatures living under it.
Doesn't trolling generally imply insincerity? I was deadly serious. I despise MGS4 with a passion. Even when I'd decided to skip the godawful cutscenes, the game still conspired to irritate the fuck out of me with the sheer frequency of the fucking things. Play 2 mins, cutscene, shoot three guys, cutscene, walk 10ft, cutscene. FOR FUCK'S SAKE, WHY DIDN'T HE JUST DO THAT MAMMOTH TREK OF 6 STEPS IN THE CUTSCENE!
It's like a negative of a photo, his gameplay/cutscene ratio; the cutscenes get all the action sequences, and we get to walk Snake through some dull enviroments and shoot boring enemies with unsatisfying weapons. Urgh, game is utter bilge of the highest order.

jax (old)

Banned

The homoeroticism elevates MGS though. Wouldn't quite be the same without.

feel

I loved the technical aspects of them. Had horrible dialogue and pacing, but they're really well shot. That ominous helicopter rising behind ocelot in the end of chapter 1 looked so good.

Vasili2K38

It's funny to see how the bashing of MGS4 reaches new levels (but I won't start on this because I'll get banned), but anyway I know the drill, worst game of all times -_-

About the topic, for me the best custscenes in terms of quality, editing, animation and dialogue are the ones from Uncharted series.

Maybe the thread title is misleading. I tried to emphasize the production quality of the cutscenes in the OP.

Maybe I should have named it: Does MGS4 still have the most impressive cutscenes in the industry?

2j0js5w.gif

I mean, I personally am a huge fan of the Metal Gear Franchise. But best cut-scenes in the industry? Maybe last gen on PS2.

Top Bottom