• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Nintendo, don't change one thing

I have one request for the nintendo wii-u.

And that is that I hope it continues to be a console and not a PC like the ps3. I really hope that Nintendo keeps their standards with a quick booting game sofware player, and that I don't wait for installs or download patches before playing my video games. These are PC things and I want them off my console. If I put a game disc in, I expect my game to boot without wait time. And if you have to install jazz to the harddrive, that you do it in the background.

In metriod prime if I shoot a door from across the room with my blast beam, the game engine knows to load the stage of the map i'm going to next. Learn to mask and stream your game experience dear developers, fast loading cartridge gaming isn't dead. Especially with sony entering the market. If customers get better loading experiances on cell phones and handhelds, they might start playing their console less.

Thank you,

A Nintendo Fan,

ps: Legend of Zelda:SS is pretty good. Love the Wii m+

If having a more thought-out, thorough online implementation is too "PC like", then so be it.

I've read the OP a few times now, and I'm still confused as to the connection between Samus opening doors in Metroid Prime and Nintendo's next generation hardware/software strategies.

ReyVGM

With 25 gig discs, you can be sure there will be installation requirements. At least for some American/European 3rd party games.

Dear Nintendo:

Please let me jump through hoops to patch broken games, since you don't have a proper patching infrastructure.

Best,

Jaded nintendo fan

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ib16fJ37rataQh.gif

If having a more thought-out, thorough online implementation is too "PC like", then so be it.

I agree with this.

Plus not letting devs patch their games is silly especially when it comes to third party games.

Medalion

Banned
Consoles couldn't be PC's even if they tried to be, expect moar dude

and this is also coming from a life long Nintendo fan

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would think a patching setup to kinda fix the whole game breaking bug thing in Skyward Sword(and Twilight Princess) or that little exploit on Mahu Wuhu in Mario Kart 7 that skips you super far forward that everyone online spams would be appreciated.

You can abide by modern online conventions and still output the same quality.

DCharlie

Banned
I cant wait until space year 2024 when Nintendo finally allows games to be patched and Nintendo fans can finally declare the ability "absolutely amazing"

I hate it when people say patches are a bad thing.

No, but it's better when the game doesn't need one in the first place.

It will let Nintendo and co. actually fix the horrible stuff that gets past at times(just mentioned above) without making everyone have to send it in and get it manually fixed.

Metroid Other M, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all suffered from a small bug that would have been easily fixed with a patch. It's pretty sad.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Asking for quick-booting, quick-loading games designed well enough to not require patching is having low standards?

Designed well enough to not require patching WILL NOT CHANGE IF THE SYSTEM ALLOWS PATCHING. It will let Nintendo and co. actually fix the horrible stuff that gets past at times(just mentioned above) without making everyone have to send it in and get it manually fixed.

Dear Nintendo.

Please give Gabe at Valve a call. Just ring him up and say "We want you to be our partner for the Wii U". Funnel them some of the profits from the latest Mario Party, and get them to develop Stiim as the online infrastructure for the console.

Those guys know what they are doing. There's this weird niche platform called "PC" and a strange thing called "internet" which works with "PC" but can also work with "Wii U". Gabe can sort all of this out for you.

Oh, and when you are good to go, have some proper launch titles too, we don't want another 3DS situation.

Last but not least, ask Retro if they want to do another Metroid. If they don't, respect their wishes, and ask if Valve would like to take an opportunity to work with the franchise.

Thanks Nintendo,

Mama Robotnik.

DSN2K

dont think this required a thread but I agree mostly, If there comes a time when I have to install Zelda or Mario game before playing it Im done....and Im PC gamer mostly.

DCharlie

Banned
No, but it's better when the game doesn't need one in the first place.

have both high quality standards -and- patch ability! :O

I've never understood the logic that having the ability to patch inevitably dictates that a developers products quality will slip.

If there comes a time when I have to install Zelda or Mario game before playing it Im done

you aren't going to use VC on the Wii/3ds?

What an odd request.

"NO STOP, don't fix my broken games"

Ideally the game would be designed well enough to not require patching, which most Nintendo games are.

But if they aren't, as is the case with Skyward Sword, they are patchable. It's just not a subject that comes up much.

Nintendo's philosophy of attempting to make games that don't require patches in the first place is superior to shipping broken games because you know you can always patch them later.

Designed well enough to not require patching WILL NOT CHANGE IF THE SYSTEM ALLOWS PATCHING. It will let Nintendo and co. actually fix the horrible stuff that gets past at times(just mentioned above) without making everyone have to send it in and get it manually fixed.

Are you under the impression that the Wii/3DS don't allow patching? See above.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Certainly doesn't feel that way this generation.

WillyFive

Nintendo's philosophy of attempting to make games that don't require patches in the first place is superior to shipping broken games because you know you can always patch them later.

Would be great to have a way to enforce this without having to keep developers from being able to patch their games.

TICK THAT BOX!!!

This is a joke thread right? right guys?

Reggie sucks, but the OP is valid.

While your point on having quick startup times is very desirable and something I also want to champion...
In metriod prime if I shoot a door from across the room with my blast beam, the game engine knows to load the stage of the map i'm going to next. Learn to mask and stream your game experience dear developers, fast loading cartridge gaming isn't dead. Especially with sony entering the market.
Sorry, what? Do you not realize that literally every other console game worth half a damn DOES PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING?

Oppo

oh gawd.

i want my click back.

that's right Nintendo, don't change your region code stance, friend codes, 3DS design or anything. you're purrrrfect.

Would be great to have a way to enforce this without having to keep developers from being able to patch their games.

Do they keep developers from this? Conduit 2 and at least one of the Call of Duties got patches on the Wii, and now Skyward Sword's getting one too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I hate bug fixes and installs. I prefer slow load times, a loud drive, and sending in my disc/console with save file to Nintendo when there's a game breaking bug.

Neiteio

Dear Nintendo:

Create a "Have It Your Way" Bureau that makes sure every Nintendo-published game is loaded to the gills with customization options. Make Sakurai its manager so he can ensure every game has a Smash Bros.-like wealth of tweaks. It's 2011, I should be able to turn on and off items in Mario Kart individually, and goddammit (here I go) I should be able to play a single race against a full field of CPUs with items. Just give me the options to play the game my way. Let other people play the game their way. You can give us your way but give us the tools to play other ways as well. Please, Nintendo. Another example would be selectable difficulty levels in games where such could apply. Sure, you can include your masterfully balanced default difficulty. But include options to make the game harder for those who want it. It can't be that difficult to include, from the onset of the game, the option to make it so enemies do twice as much damage, for example. C'mon now, Nintendo.

Also, something something F-Zero something something Pikmin something something Wave Race.

Top Bottom