• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

on PC, everything's a remaster!

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
We get big dick remasters on PC and they're usually easy to set up. Now, you have PCSX2 rebuilt from the ground up and you can add in custom textures, which have made some games look like first gen PS3 games, in some cases.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just resolution?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

To begin with, as if that's even bad? Go revisit Mirror's edge in 4K max settings and compare it to what was on consoles back then. But then there's mods. Games that are nearly 2 decades old are still pertinent today because of mods and even support peripherals that just didn't exist back then, such as VR.

Black Mesa?

Thief 1 & 2 HD mods, Freespace 2 open?

I can't even comprehend what you're saying. Its nonsense.

Dude I don’t care. You are preaching to the choir and old pc game. I know.
We are not talking about mods

Rea

PC is life PC is love. I was a console gamer all my life and recently upgraded to beast PC and oh boy! Never did I ever regret.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One of the things i appreciate most about gaming on PC is the fact you can load up any older game, install a couple of mods, and then be playing as if the game got remastered for a 2023 release. PC is the best for older releases, you can buy a game from 1999 running at 4:3, 30fps, 0 controller support, and then within a matter of hours turn it into an experience fit for the 21st century.

I did recently get into Morrowind like in my previous thread, and am playing it for the first time with OpenMW. The game feels smooth, controls smooth, and runs smooth, at 16:10 perfect for the Steam Deck aspect ratio. If it were a backwards compatible game on Nintendo, Sony or even Xbox (most of the time) it'd still be running at 4:3 with the same control scheme and 30fps.

So easy to just make an experience from the past more fun these days. And since a lot of these early 2000s/late 90s games are on PC there's no need to ask for ports of older games or remasters too, you remaster them yourself. Truly the best way to experience gaming's history!
200.gif

Buggy Loop

Dude I don’t care. You are preaching to the choir and old pc game. I know.
We are not talking about mods

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

First line of OP

One of the things i appreciate most about gaming on PC is the fact you can load up any older game, install a couple of mods

ZOOM IN

Watching Spy Kids GIF

install a couple of mods

You don’t care yet you always pop up in PC threads to shit on it

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I wish.

The amount of old PC titles that aren't playable on modern hardware/os is staggering

Then the rest can barely use modern features unless someone has modded BC support in for you

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Who cares how well a game looks and plays?

Pretty much everyone.
A bad game is bad even at 8k
A good game is good even at 480p....
but that's beside my point really. I welcome the improvements when available. Would be nice to have 4k60 bloodborne and driveclub

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
A bad game is bad even at 8k
A good game is good even at 480p....
but that's beside my point really. I welcome the improvements when available. Would be nice to have 4k60 bloodborne and driveclub

Disagree. Look at the response on these boards to games that look lackluster or perform poorly.

Performance / visuals can completely transform games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Disagree. Look at the response on these boards to games that look lackluster or perform poorly.

Performance / visuals can completely transform games.
I finished Dark Souls like 3 times on 360 before it was available on pc.
I finished it another 3 times on pc.
Same good game honestly. Of course I will play 4k version if it;s there. I might even go out of my way to do so

Top Bottom