• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo Fans be laughing right about now?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
According to the internet they have.
GameCube. Wii-u hell even the 3DS was considered a failure for a time.
After the Wii came the Wii u and less than stellar sales.
"considered" is far from the reality. People need to study economy more
Nintendo still has crazy money right?
Yep

They only struggled with the Wii U, and was like three years bleeding some money. Still, the Wii and DS era made so much money for them that is bonkers. In 2023 Nintendo made more than five billion dollars in profit (not revenue, profit), and that was the worse year in the Switch's life

In comparison, Microsoft is rich as fuck, but Xbox walks in a tightrope between winning and loosing. Sony was like 10 years bleeding money, and Playstation that saved the company with the PS4. Still, the cost of development a game for Sony is always through the roof and the revenue needs to be really big to achieve profit.

If you take the whole thing, one could say that Nintendo could launch like three failed consoles and still has money in the bank

In many ways it was inevitable. Microsoft and Sony are big tech that never actually brought anything to the table except for wads of cash. They're both hollow shell corporations that have bought their way into the industry one studio at a time.

Sony will be next, if not next gen, the one after that. If there'll even be another two gens. The real competition for Nintendo now is the mobile sector and PC.

Last edited:

Generic

In many ways it was inevitable. Microsoft and Sony are big tech that never actually brought anything to the table except for wads of cash. They're both hollow shell corporations that have bought their way into the industry one studio at a time.

Sony will be next, if not next gen, the one after that. If there'll even be another two gens. The real competition for Nintendo now is the mobile sector and PC.
Nintendo isn't a saint though.

Stuart360

Laughing?, i'd be worried as hell if i were them. If Xbox leave the console space (which it looks like they arent) all the never ending trolling, shitposting, and twisting will be directed firmly towards them going forward.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

No.

As did SEGA. As did Sony. As did Microsoft.

Sony's vision was *literally* Nintendo's-- being paid contractors to work on the SNES CD-Rom which they eventually took for their own. Sony had no gaming IP.

Sega, yes I agree was a shame. Problem with Sega is their roots were in arcade games which they took to the console space, and the arcade market died and later it's arcade type games on console did too.

Microsoft, no they had nothing original in gaming. It was a Bill Gates pet project propped up by their PC monopoly.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sony's vision was *literally* Nintendo's-- being paid contractors to work on the SNES CD-Rom which they eventually took for their own. Sony had no gaming IP.

Sega, yes I agree was a shame. Problem with Sega is their roots were in arcade games which they took to the console space, and the arcade market died and later it's arcade type games on console did too.

Microsoft, no they had nothing original in gaming. It was a Bill Gates pet project propped up by their PC monopoly.
This what happens when you're biased to this degree, you're willing to ignore all other (or most other) competitors to fill a narrative.

- No, Sony's vision was not Nintendo's, and if it was, it must have paid off since the PS1 and PS2 curbed stomped the 64 and GameCube into oblivion... In reality, it was Nintendo's own failures that allowed those things to happen (carts vs CDs, mini discs vs DVD, etc). Sony also helped usher in genres/3rd party IPs that were absent on Nintendo consoles.

- Microsoft brought Halo (this is important, as it took what worked in Goldeneye and put a much stronger focus on the FPS genre), standardized online gaming, hard drives, etc. And this is all the basics from those two companies. Every last one of them (including Nintendo) slung funds around to help their brand. There is no exclusivity to chasing business gains and none of them is "innocent" or "more caring" than the other. They want your money, not your lust.

Thus, your preference for Nintendo is fine, I once had it, but let's not re-write (or flat out ignore) history to scratch an itch.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What I know about Nintendo fans is two things that matter to them is Mario production and Zelda games.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't think anyone in the industry is laughing right now. Budget cuts, employee cuts, and entire game cancellations are going to run of the mill for 2024. Nintendo might be insulated, but they will not be immune to the impact of the incoming poop-storm.

This what happens when you're biased to this degree, you're willing to ignore all other (or most other) competitors to fill a narrative. No, Sony's vision was not Nintendo's, and if it was, it must have paid off better form them since the PS1 curbed stomped the 64 into oblivion... In reality, it was Nintendo's own failures that allowed that to happen (carts vs CDs as one example). They also helped usher in genres/3rd party IPs that were absent on Nintendo consoles.

Microsoft also brought Halo, standardized online gaming, hard drives, etc. I know it's convenient to ignore these things, but there relevant.

Preference for Nintendo is fine, I once had it. Minimizing what others have brought to scratch an itch is silly.

Nobody is ignoring the applaudable successes of Sony and MS, and credit where credit's due, indeed. However, they never came to the industry with their own vision. Sony&MS entered with a view to buy game studios. Whereas Nintendo *built* their industry from the ground up with their own creative vision.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nobody is ignoring the applaudable successes of Sony and MS, and credit where credit's due, indeed. However, they never came to the industry with their own vision. Sony&MS entered with a view to buy game studios. Whereas Nintendo *built* their industry from the ground up with their own creative vision.
They all "built" an empire in their own way. Some succeeded (Nintendo/PlayStation), some failed (SEGA). What you prefer is what you prefer, but you are definitely minimizing the efforts of all but one. They all have one undeniable vision ($) and used means that they could to achieve it.

Besides, unless we're sitting on the board, we cannot claim to know what anyone's visions were. They all had a reason for joining the industry and all contributed something that you use today.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Laughing?, i'd be worried as hell if i were them. If Xbox leave the console space (which it looks like they arent) all the never ending trolling, shitposting, and twisting will be directed firmly towards them going forward.
Nintenchads can cope with it, because we know it’s just pony insecurity.

Top Bottom