• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About Ray Tracing, Path Tracing on PS6

HighPoly

Banned
Hello guys

I've heard SONY or Mark Cerny is working on a new kind of technology for ray tracing...

I don't know anything about ray tracing, and I'd like to understand if Path Tracing is a Nvidia technology, or the name of a kind of technology that maybe AMD, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo could use on consoles?

Well, is that any possibility to make a new kind of ray tracing, better than Path Tracing? What is Path Tracing at all??

Let's talk

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
No Words Omg GIF by MacKenzie Bourg

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Hello guys

I've heard SONY or Mark Cerny is working on a new kind of technology for ray tracing...

I don't know anything about ray tracing, and I'd like to understand if Path Tracing is a Nvidia technology, or the name of a kind of technology that maybe AMD, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo could use on consoles?

Well, is that any possibility to make a new kind of ray tracing, better than Path Tracing? What is Path Tracing at all??

Let's talk
You could have googled all of this, but here you go

What is Path Tracing?

What is Ray Tracing?

As for what Sony will do with the PS6? Wait for the Cerny presentation in a few years.

Perrott

Gold Member
Mark Cerny's accelerated raytracing patent is just a fix of sorts for AMD GPU's subpar RT capabilities, and it's been developed for its deployment on the upcoming PS5 Pro.

Hello guys

Let's talk
Well, you have to be realistic.

Path tracing may be off the table even for PS6. We may be getting a decent raytracing and upscale solution but that's about it.

RTX 4090 costs up to $2500 and that's only one part. And whole Hi-End PC up to $6300 and even that is struggling with a Path Tracing.

And you want what a $500-600 box to do all that? At this price range? Not happening. Maybe even with IPC gains, and general a bit newer tech- there's a power consumption limit too on consoles.

But that's just my common sense speaking.

Same thing with talk about PS5 Pro and 8k or 4k 120 fps in everything. It's just fantasy at this point and not really possible. We may get a decent jump in performance at 1440p and that's about it. And bit better raytracing performance.

We can talk and be respectful. Let's just think what's possible and whatsnot.

I honestly would wait for confirmed specs and not waste time on "what ifs" because you can only get disappointed this way. But that's just me.

I'm building midrange PC, that's stronger than PS5 and still I won't get decent Ray Tracing performance. So yeah.

But I'm prepared to be amazed. Maybe tech will advance so much I will be wrong. We will see.

And I think that people are rolling their eyes with this thread because I think there's already one on this site. I think I saw one. So instead of joining the discussion there, we have another thread...

Last edited:
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST what is it with these filler Whataboutism topics?

Can a mod close this ASAP?

Whats next PS7, Switch 3 topic just for the sake of opening one?

Pathetic.

Hello guys

Let's talk
How about you actually open a topic on current gaming? Seeing your laughable history of posting in/ opening stupid gossip hardware threads?

Or you know, log off?

cireza

Oh right, the time for more bullshit marketing features that will never be used is approaching fast.

Shifty1897

AMD is light years behind on Ray Tracing. It's possible they close some of the gap with NVIDIA by the PS6 but unlikely. I would expect to see more games offer a brute force ray tracing mode that either is extremely limited or runs poorly, just like this generation.

Path Tracing isn't happening on consoles next gen. If that's important to you, get a monster PC.

Nonsense.
Well, in Poland yeah. Didn't look up well US prices. So I just put up to. Doesn't mean you can get it cheaper in the other markets abroad.

Obviously you have better prices than we do.

I was jealous of a lot of price cuts I saw. Abroad. When looking up prices in USD for a lot of products.

Quick example, DualSense Edge costs in the US $250, here its like $350.

We also had PS5s at launch being sold way above MRSP and that wasn't from scalpers. Authorised distro shops.

The same thing with OLEDs but with shipping it would cost almost the same as I can walk to a store and buy one. And besides with Amazon stuff I'm reading I wouldn't want to buy from them anyways.

Last edited:
AMD is light years behind on Ray Tracing. It's possible they close some of the gap with NVIDIA by the PS6 but unlikely. I would expect to see more games offer a brute force ray tracing mode that either is extremely limited or runs poorly, just like this generation.

Path Tracing isn't happening on consoles next gen. If that's important to you, get a monster PC.

They can absolutely do path tracing at 30 FPS by the time 2028 rolls around.

Top Bottom