• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nation Red |OT| The greatest twinstick shooter period.

Card Boy

Banned
ArWX6.jpg

Developer: DiezelPower
Platform: PC
Price: $9.99
Genre: Action / Twinsticker shooter
Where: Available online on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39800

About the Game

Nation Red is a fast-paced, top down arena-based shooter made by DiezelPower. It was released 23th of August in 2009 and has since then been updated frequently by the developers.
Nation Red allows you to customize your fighter with an unlimited combination of Perks, Power Ups and Weapons.

Features

• Customization with over 70 perks (with Strategic / Random / Auto perk modes)
  • Over 90 Steam achievements
  • Xbox 360 controller support
  • Leaderboards
  • Online and local 4 player co-op
  • 5 diffrent game modes (including Single player)
  • Over 25 weapons
  • 4 Diffrent classes
  • Powerups
  • Bosses

Videos
TotalBiscuit 13minute WTF is video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ILeY_O4ouY

That video was the inspiration for this thread and me getting the game. If the video doesn't convince you then i can't do anything for you.

Screenshots

Fg1zZ.jpg

HBmNo.jpg

RaGHd.jpg

Reviews

Gez: 6 out of 5

Daigoro

that's a rather bold claim.

it does look cool though. not sure why i havent checked it out yet. ive know about it for ages now.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not seeing it personally...

So its just you in a room full of zombies with no objectives/story/mission to speak of?

1-D_FTW

Almost sold me. Just played the demo. Would have bought it it was a top down corridor shooter, but not into the whole single arena games. Impressive otherwise.

DeMeester

Just bought this game (it's still downloading) and I was wondering if this game supports 4p local co-op with 4 gamepads/controllers?

Flayer

Just picked this up and beat the "story" missions. Pretty fun and scratches that genocidal maniac itch. I like the perk system a lot, it gets you into building all kinds of different combos and looking out for certain things (spark/firestarter is a personal fave!).

Card Boy

Banned
Beefy update and this goes in hand with the OP (and TB's video) in saying the game is always getting updates based on community suggestions to this very day. The lead dev still has dozens of perks and achievement ideas he can add to the game all based on community suggestions.

Nation Red Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Nation Red have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- A new Bridge Barricade map has been added to the on-line coop and local coop maps
- Players can now join on-line games already in progress (Drop-In). You can also start a multiplayer game by yourself and let other players join. Works both with Public and Friends-only games.
- Added a new Stats section, visible when pausing or at the end of a game. Quickly visualize the number of kills/boss kills each player has, most-used weapons, current maximum killstreak, unpicked perk bonuses, etc. In on-line coop, the host can pause the game to compare player stats.
- Now supports up to 3 seperate Auto-Perk lists. For example use List #1 for Barricade games, List #2 for Free Play and List #3 for achievement hunting, etc.
- Now supports unlimited blood. To enable, set the 'number of blood patches' slider in the game options to 'unlimited'. Can be used to cover the entire arena in blood.
- Dynamite powerup now has a much larger damage radius and deals damage to up to 5x more zombies compared to regular grenades.
- Added perk icons (beta). Perks are divided into 7 icon categories: Armor-related perks, Health, Powerup, Scoring, Targeting, Dexterity and Offense perks.
- Moved achievement-tracking display. To track an achievement, go to the in-game achievement list and mouse click on any achievement.
- Player indicator circle now shows health status, ranging from green->yellow->red
- Grenade icon added next to the player grenade indicator
- Now supports loading all game assets from zip files for faster game startup
- Ghost perks in Auto Perk mode now stack quicker.
- Auto Experience perk now gives 2x more Xp
- Added new achievements:
- Pinpoint: In a single Free Play game, survive for 5 minutes without your accuracy dropping below 50% in the new stats section.
- Killstreak One, Two and Three: Reach a killstreak of 1000, 2000 and 3000 (refer to the new stats section). A Killstreak is obtained by zombie kills without receiving any damage.
- Increased visibility of crosshairs. Added a console option 'cursor2' to change crosshairs to a different type.
- Snare now operates more smoothly in multiplayer games
- Firestarter now gives Xp when the perk alone kills a zombie
- Several small bug fixes

According to the Nation Red steam forums this is in preparation for some Nation Red event on Steam in the next 7 days. I assume a daily deal or free weekend.

demolitio

I wish the camera was back a little further. To those who don't know, page up and page down keys will zoom the camera in and out but you still can't go back too far. I'm sure it's to make it more chaotic and all that, but it's a little disorienting at times.

Otherwise, it's actually pretty fun. If anyone wants to get a game going with a decent teammate, add "demolitio2" on Steam. I'm tired of being stuck reviving everyone on my team and then dying trying to do it 10 seconds later. So far, I've had 100 more kills than the next guy in the past three games, lol. I'm not beastly, but a little cooperation goes a long way so it'd be nice to have reliable teammates, especially if they communicate.

Bebpo

Banned
I bought a 4-pack of this a year ago and couldn't even GIVE the other 3 copies away. No one wanted to touch this.

Was able to get rid of most of the copies but I think I still have 1 sitting in my inventory. If someone wants it, they can quote this and have it.

d0c_zaius

I bought a 4-pack of this a year ago and couldn't even GIVE the other 3 copies away. No one wanted to touch this.

Was able to get rid of most of the copies but I think I still have 1 sitting in my inventory. If someone wants it, they can quote this and have it.

I'll try it. Thanks!

Pretty please? (If any left)

Somehow this had completely slipped by me...I will avoid eating a thing or so this weekend I think and pick this up on the sale! Impressive amount of ongoing updates too from the looks of it----definitely what I like to see from a dev.

Shai-Tan

Banned
this game is on sale today for $1.99 on Steam. if you like arena shooter type games this one is up there with some of the more high profile games in that subgenre (imo)

pro:

-weapons have a good feel to them
-the core moving, shooting, dodging is very good
-in the main modes you level to accumulate skills/perks in addition to powerups
-co-op multiplayer (though lag is a problem sometimes as there is no ping display for selecting servers to join)

con:

-only a few boss types that repeat over and over
-the waves don't have much structure to them

I bought it on the last Steam sale and played 35 hours :)

edit: in case anyone is wondering it controls just as well with mouse/keyboard, probably better

Shai-Tan

Banned
I have two extra copies from the last sale btw. First two who quote this can have a copy (private message me your Steam ID if it's not already in your profile)

edit: gone

Card Boy

Banned
New patch. Nation Red is the gift that keeps on giving. The developers make the game better because they want to, not because they have to.

Nation Red 1.98 Update

- Added a new Barricade map: Prison (playable in Single Player, Local Coop and On-line Coop). Many players have asked for a map without NPCs to protect. The Prison map has no NPCs plus four fence corridors on the left and right side of the map from which zombies are escaping. Each escape rout is initially handled by 3 concrete barriers and a sentry gun.

- Added difficulty setting in Free Play and Barricade game menu. You can now select Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard and Severe settings before starting a game. You can then still fine-tune by using TAB during the first minute of gameplay.

- Added 5 new Steam achievements:

Fifteen Minutes In Jail: Survive for 15 minutes on the Prison barricade map

Thirty Minutes In Jail: Survive for 30 minutes on the Prison barricade map

Red 101: Collect 100 Nation Red achievements

Collateral: In a Free Play or Barricade game, choose Friendly Fire and use the M107 sniper rifle to kill 50 suicide bombers

Wipeout: In Free Play or Survival, kill 100 zombies within the first 30 seconds of the game (hint: use the new difficulty settings)

- Strategic Mode: Hitting a key jumps straight to perks beginning with that letter; i.e. hitting 'P' will jump to 'Pneumatic Destroyer'. This makes picking perks much quicker and easier.

- Strategic Mode: Increased scroll speed to navigate the perk list

- Reduced reload times of the Uzis and Mp5 weapons by 30%

- Overhauled the flamethrower weapon: improved line of fire and reduced reload time by 30%. You'll be able to use it to selectively kill instead of just aiming in a wide arc/area.

- Number of bodies option: updated so when set to zero (0), all bodies fade out immediately, no bodies linger on screen. Use this for a clean battlefield without bodies being confused with live zombies.

- Added an option to disable comms/radial menu (useful for gamepad users who accidentally press down the thumbstick)

- Initial number of zombies on map scales according to difficulty setting. Use high settings for Fastest 100 and 1000 kills leaderboards. You should be able to hit 100 kills in less than 30 secs. when playing on Severe or in Survival Mode.

- Counterblow no longer affects bosses in multiplayer games

- Several small bugfixes

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just picked this up for two bucks on Steam (it's on sale right now as part of the Halloween Sale). It's really quite fun, especially for the price. Definitely recommend it.

Top Bottom